TSX to RL comparison?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 03:46 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by BackToStock
I was the one that said it..and i did go after the statement, as well as you.
And you compared it to your CL in your first statement. Ofcourse yours is faster and whatnot. So, if someone is looking for a mid-range, faster-than-a-tsx car, the CL fits the bill

Though, if someone is looking for a more techy-interior or gas-saver, looks as though the TSX is the best car under 30k. and I doubt a baseline 3-series comes with all the features the tsx comes with, standard.

What do you expect a tsx owner to say when you bash their vehicle for not even being a car?
Agree with this as well.

Come on, everyone, all together now.

Kumbaya......!!!!
Old 03-11-2008, 04:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by CL6
The problem with the TSX is that it is an Accord but it is being dolled up and sold as an 'Acura' in the US. Were it offered with a 2.5 liter V6 or something like this I would think better of it being an 'Acura.' The new TSX may be something very special, I will withold judgement, but it should still have a V6.

I do not consider Volvo or SAAB to be more than niche players although your point is taken regarding the Audi.

I slam the door on a TSX, a BMW 3 Series, and my CL and the noise from the TSX is not a 'thud' and I frown.
^^Well said here. Better than:

Originally Posted by CL6
oh god. The TSX is a dinky wannabe ride which at 30k is overpriced.
Like I said, if you quit believing your own bullshit, maybe people can have a civil discussion about the RL vs. the TSX. Your beliefs on luxury, CLs/TLs, or your own issues notwithstanding.

Again, RL vs. TSX, your take?

Originally Posted by GoHawks

Kumbaya......!!!!
I'm with ya. If CL6 read my response to him as "upset", I merely see it as argumentative. And actually, Earl Gray would be a stimulant, so chamomile might have been more appropriate tea to drink to "calm down"

Cheers, CL6. I don't think you have to be abrasive to get your point across.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
The RL whispers "I bet you didn't know I could do that."
Oh, man. That SO sums up the RL for me. What a great line.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Finding my TL-S

Originally Posted by GoHawks
Agree with this as well.

Kumbaya......!!!!

I can see the headlines now..

TSX brothers come together in defense on RL board.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:43 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forgive me for the 'wannabe' comment. This is a good board but sometimes the posts seem to suggest wallowing in misery... comparing a TSX to an RL is one such post.

Earl Gray is a stimulant, this is true, but served cold it can be refreshing.

The two cars are not alike at all except for their technology basis. Ride quality, power, features, all different. When I was looking to buy an Acura I considered the the TSX or the CL-S. My conclusion was that it felt like a Scion in the way and out the door you're over $30,000. The bluetooth was appealing but it just didn't have the power of the CL-S. I chose to go with older technology that felt more 'substantial.' I have not regretted the choice.

When I was selling TSXs I always wondered why they were buying it. From my observations, it was because they were 'aspiring' to own what they saw was a valuable nameplate. So many of the posts on this RL board come down to "The RL is an incredible value" but, really, I don't find the TSX to be that way so the irony of this is amusing to me.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:40 AM
2005 RL with over 200k KM

As another one with both a ('04 6MT) TSX and ('05) RL. I can only say that they deliver two vastly different visceral experiences.

The RL is a great tourer that makes long trips go by seamlessly. However, I still enjoy taking my wife's TSX for a quick spin round the neighbourhood. Hanging on to that sweet shifter while taking a corner too fast is something else.

For a pair of cars in a household, the styling and cabin similarities contrasted with their sizes complement each other well. Not sure if this would be the same with a TL and RL garage.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:16 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by CL6
Forgive me for the 'wannabe' comment. This is a good board but sometimes the posts seem to suggest wallowing in misery... comparing a TSX to an RL is one such post.

Earl Gray is a stimulant, this is true, but served cold it can be refreshing.

The two cars are not alike at all except for their technology basis. Ride quality, power, features, all different. When I was looking to buy an Acura I considered the the TSX or the CL-S. My conclusion was that it felt like a Scion in the way and out the door you're over $30,000. The bluetooth was appealing but it just didn't have the power of the CL-S. I chose to go with older technology that felt more 'substantial.' I have not regretted the choice.

When I was selling TSXs I always wondered why they were buying it. From my observations, it was because they were 'aspiring' to own what they saw was a valuable nameplate. So many of the posts on this RL board come down to "The RL is an incredible value" but, really, I don't find the TSX to be that way so the irony of this is amusing to me.
I can appreciate that perspective. I think we can conclude simply that our own criteria and perspective for a car at this price range are different.

As for me and only me, a TSX isn't an aspirational product. Not after having parents who bought some topnotch cars growing up, I'm sure I don't fit under the nouveau riche stereotype. I don't see cars as status symbols. Sure it says something about you, but if you are reaching to buy a TSX, then you probably shouldn't be driving a TSX.

Now, I would be reaching to drive a new RL, but I blame that on having a California mortgage.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:53 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

I could have afforded a TSX but I guess I just didn't see the value in it. To me, a TSX has always been a $25,000 car. When I bought my CL, that was a distant possibility. Maybe if I had not had the opportunity to drive 100 different cars I would have selected it but had the car come with a small V6 I may have felt differently. I guess the 4 cylinder just made it feel like it should be 'your first car.'

From what I could tell, people chose the TSX because it was a grown up RSX and it wasn't a Honda Accord. I'd be reaching to get an RL, that I agree.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:14 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CL6
I could have afforded a TSX but I guess I just didn't see the value in it. To me, a TSX has always been a $25,000 car. When I bought my CL, that was a distant possibility. Maybe if I had not had the opportunity to drive 100 different cars I would have selected it but had the car come with a small V6 I may have felt differently. I guess the 4 cylinder just made it feel like it should be 'your first car.'

From what I could tell, people chose the TSX because it was a grown up RSX and it wasn't a Honda Accord. I'd be reaching to get an RL, that I agree.
I can't speak for all TSX drivers, but my decission process was a good deal different from what you are suggesting. I wanted an Acura, and I have no interest in used vehicles. So, that left me looking at the TSX and TL. The TL was solidly in my budget, the TSX was going for a quite a bit less than I was planning to spend. I had also considered a few other vehcles like the G35 (hated the interior), Maxima (hated the interior, too big), Honda Accord V6 (too bland), Passat V6 (to unreliable), A4 (ditto on the unreliablity), 3 series (ditto again on the unreliablity), Saab 9-5, etc.

I eventually opted for the TSX because I liked the smaller size, the fold down rear seats and larger trunk (a huge issue to me, because I a biker, and can get the bike in the trunk), liked the looks better, and found it a bit more fun to drive. I eventually got involved with a women who had a 2006 TL, so I was in both the TSX and TL everyday and never had much reason to look back. From what I can see, the only thing the TL had to offer over my vehicle was better acceleration and a few more options.

I couldn't have afforded an RL back then but, in all honesty, probably wouldn't have gone for it anyway. MPG was a big issue to me at the time (in some ways, it still is), and the relatively poor fuel economy on an AWD vehicle had turned me off.

So, for me, as for many TSX drivers, I simply liked my vehicle better than anything else out there. And, in fact, it has never been a choice I regret.

I'm fortunate to have a bit more to spend this time, and I think I'd like to go further upscale. But, the ownership experience with my TSX has been great, and I hope that the RL, M35, or whatever I go with next works out as well.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:04 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

The folding rear seats did get many bikers, that is true. I never understood why the TL didn't have that. BMW and MB offer that as an option. Good decision making process. But, again, I'd cite the 'not an Accord' as a reason. Your post seems to suggest that.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CL6
The folding rear seats did get many bikers, that is true. I never understood why the TL didn't have that. BMW and MB offer that as an option. Good decision making process. But, again, I'd cite the 'not an Accord' as a reason. Your post seems to suggest that.
You could argue that any car I chose would have been picked partially because it was "not an Accord." I looked at the Accord early on, but it was pretty low on my list because it was just a boring family car. So, if I bought a TL or even a used CL (as you did) it would have been the same reasoning.

And, if I buy an RL this summer, you can make that argument again. I've already looked at the current generation Accord and simply don't like it.

Basically, I don't see what it adds to argue that I bougt the TSX partially because it was not a car I don't happen to like.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:54 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by darth62
I have a TSX and will likely soon buy the new RL (yes, ugly nose and all). I've also spent a ton of time in the TL.

Honestly, with regard to the "blury screen" (which is probably the identical resolution to the TL and RL) I have no idea what you are talking about. In fact, I find the overall interface in the TSX/TL to be a bit superior to the RL (because of the touchscreen). The screen is quite clear, and easy to use, and seems to wash out a lot less easier than in some recent Acura products (like the RDX, which gets a lot of sun reflections).

I also find the seats super comfortable (although this is a personal issue, I admit) and, in fact, one reason the RL is at the top of my list is because of the general comfort I feel in Acura products. My TSX has just gotten more comfortable over time - I can go on long trips and not feel the least bit sore.

I also can't imagine anyone would find the FOB and key "hard to use" - although the current TSX doesn't have the push botton start of the RL.

I don't see what is "not as nice" about the steering wheel controls. Again, almost identical to the RL.

The bumpy ride, smaller interior, are all undeniable.

The big difference between the RL and TSX, IMO, beyond the obviously higher level of comfort, features, lux, and power in the RL, is that the RL feels a lot more buttoned down in corners. Yeah, the TSX is more nimble, but the supension is so stiff that it gets knocked off course by bumps. I've not drive the RL as extensively as any of you, but never had that problem in test drives.

To me, the TSX feels like a four dour Prelude. The RL is more like a Asian 5-series. Completely different vehicles.

I do wish the RL has a fold down rear seat like the TSX though, and despite the size diff, the trunk of the RL is actually no larger.
Not sure if the NAV angle on the TSX had something to do with the "blurry", but my co-worker noticed the same thing. Yes, I agree the touchscreen on the TL and TSX is nicer to have. I did enjoy the feature when I had the TSX.

About the FOB, the RL has door sensors on the driver & passenger side of the car, so I never have to reach for my FOB/keys. I just simply have to have the FOB on me within 2-3 feet and I can unlock the door and start the car without getting the keys out. If anyone has had this feature and then have to go back to using the FOB to open/close doors and a key to start the engine, it's annoying. Another reason the RL has spoiled some of us.

I agree...two different cars for two different price ranges and age groups.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by darth62
I can't speak for all TSX drivers, but my decission process was a good deal different from what you are suggesting. I wanted an Acura, and I have no interest in used vehicles. So, that left me looking at the TSX and TL. The TL was solidly in my budget, the TSX was going for a quite a bit less than I was planning to spend. I had also considered a few other vehcles like the G35 (hated the interior), Maxima (hated the interior, too big), Honda Accord V6 (too bland), Passat V6 (to unreliable), A4 (ditto on the unreliablity), 3 series (ditto again on the unreliablity), Saab 9-5, etc.

I eventually opted for the TSX because I liked the smaller size, the fold down rear seats and larger trunk (a huge issue to me, because I a biker, and can get the bike in the trunk), liked the looks better, and found it a bit more fun to drive. I eventually got involved with a women who had a 2006 TL, so I was in both the TSX and TL everyday and never had much reason to look back. From what I can see, the only thing the TL had to offer over my vehicle was better acceleration and a few more options.

Almost my experience exactly, except that I went into Acura leaning more towards the TL, and drove out (well, three months later) with a fresh off the boat TSX. I would add that the MT in the G35 was pretty lousy.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:32 PM
Racer

I own an 04 TL but, recently had 2 different TSX's as loner cars. One almost for a week. Both were nicer then the previous TSX's I got as loaners. Those were probably 2005 or 2006 models with some miles on them. Both of these cars had almost NO miles on them. Both had nav. I really liked the car. Liked the improvements in the MID on the 2008 TSX over my 2004 TL. I still to this day hit the wrong buttons all the time.

The car handles / rides very nice. Has more power then the older TSX's I drove. Thought the interior was nice but, not as nice as the TL.

For me the main reason I did not even test drive one is I wanted a v6. I have driven many cars and a few trucks with 4, 6 and 8s. I just do not like the buzz of a 4. For my money I rather have a 6 or 8. Perhaps in a couple years if gas hits 5 or 6 bucks I might reconsider. RDX is also not a car I would seriously consider due it being a 4. Even with the turbo it does NOT interest me. But, I do not fault those who love their TSX'es and MDX'es.

I dont think though you can really compare a TSX to an RL. At almost 2x the price both are aimed at different markets. I do question if a TSX or even a TL is truely a luxury car though.

For me the RL was NOT worth the extra money. Its all about what YOU want in a car. What you can live without and what you have to have.

If you want SH-AWD and a 6 in a sedan your only choice is RL. If you want a nice 4 cyl front drive sedan the TSX seems nice to me.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:51 PM
Pro

Nice to hear all the positive impressions of loaner TSX's that many are reporting. The unfortunate thing is that by default, loaners are all going to be AT only, and nobody will experience the true goodness of the TSX in MT form.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:13 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the replies so far, they have been very helpful.

Because I'm in Europe, these cars are called the Accord and Legend. If I want to stay with the Honda brand but go up one level from my current Accord then the Legend is my only choice. It is also the only V6 Honda available.

I need a proper test drive but so far the Legend/RL looks like a great car.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
What country are you in?

I'm sure you'll get a deal on the Legend as it's selling as slowly in many parts of Europe as the RL is here. (There are some areas where sales have skyrocketed in the last year as well, however...) My guess is that the fuel economy+ REALLY expensive fuel, more than in the US=high cost of ownership. Is that far off the mark? Here, we are dealing with almost $4 a gallon for the required premium (I paid $3.52 a gallon to fill up yesterday ) and I'm getting 17-18 mpg on our winter gas blend. I'm glad I can afford it, but someone who was on the edge in the first place in purchasing the RL would feel more pain than I am.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:57 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by Euro4gen
Thanks for the replies so far, they have been very helpful.

Because I'm in Europe, these cars are called the Accord and Legend. If I want to stay with the Honda brand but go up one level from my current Accord then the Legend is my only choice. It is also the only V6 Honda available.

I need a proper test drive but so far the Legend/RL looks like a great car.
I appreciate your contributions to the forum. While most here are American and Canadian, the RL (and the TSX) are global Honda cars. Many of our discussions have revolved around Acura missing the mark for our North American market, where Honda may be keeping the model for more global appeal.

The green diesel is already in Europe in the Accord (and soon in our TSX). When I read European reviews on the LEGEND, it always lists 'no diesel available' whereas most US / Canada reviews gripe 'no V8 option'.

Your insight from Europe's take on the LEGEND would certainly temper our views on the RL here. Do you think a green V6 diesel would make the LEGEND more appealing in Europe? There is much debate as to whether it would catch on here in the US. I for one, would love a green V6 diesel although reports indicate one is being developed for the MDX and Pilot, my expectations it will appear in the RL / LEGEND also.

What is the local perception and success of Honda's green diesels in Europe's Accord?