Trading in the 06 RL AFTER 3 Months

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 12:10 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Trading in the 06 RL AFTER 3 Months

Hello Guys i have been thinking about this after owning the 06 RL since March of this year. I find myself getting tired of the RL sometimes and i cannot afford a second car to do me justice. I live in CT and got the RL for the AWD as a replacement to my 99TL that was wrecked. I also find myself wanting something more compact. I am thinking about either a 06 IS 250AWD / IS 350 or a 06-07 TL. I find the RL very nice, luxurious but i think it's just a bit heavy for me. I find myself wanting to push the RL around corners and driving a little more aggressive at times and it takes me along time to do so. Financially i might take a hit on the car I am only 4 months into my 60 months finance. I need some advice on this issue.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
is250 is a very nice car, however its very weak.
0-60 in ~8 seconds. the is350 is stronger but you'll be spinning around with rwd during the winter time.
instead of taking a big hit on the car, try a-spec suspension or tein/h&r and the 09 sway bar to see if it holds you over.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:17 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
if you want handling, get H&R springs and some nice summer and winter tire combo. Replace the brake pads with something like Satisfied GranSport 6 and you've got your mini handling package on the RL.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Interestingly, all the cars you mention are not in the same class as the RL, sort of comparing apples and oranges. You may have purchased a car that just does not suit you, and you will have to sell the RL and get what you want.

If you want to stick with the RL, I think the most noticeable upgrade you can make is more aggressive all season tires. If you are using the OEM Michelins, many tires can outperform them.

If you decide to get 18 inch wheels, you will have many more choices at 245/45-18. If you get 18's make sure that they are lighter than the OEMS. I would not go for 19's or 20's....too heavy, and they will degrade your performance. If you do get 18's, you can then get summer tires and put winter tires on the 17's, and not necessarily in the 245/50-17 size....talk to the Tire Rack about 225/55-17 or some other alternate size.

After that, you can try other things as suggested by others...but it will cost money, and you may still not be satisfied. I think first you need to decide whether you want a more sporty car, or stick with the luxury model
Old 05-23-2010, 05:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
The car handles better with:

A-Spec suspension ($600 + install)
UHPAS tires
18" wheels.

Lots cheaper than taking a financial hit with a car you just bought.

If you're going to change, of the two cars, the TL has more room, as the IS' rear seat is tiny. Both are sportier than the RL.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:06 PM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
How/Why did you get financing on an '06 for 60 months? The car will be almost 10 years old when paid off. Run out of this deal.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Professor
How/Why did you get financing on an '06 for 60 months? The car will be almost 10 years old when paid off. Run out of this deal.
Well I decided on that, the interest rate is 3.25% for 60 months. I do pay more when I want too and it was a CPO and I have the 100,00 + warranty I don’t change cars often so it was not really a problem then. Why do you say Run out of this?
Old 05-23-2010, 11:20 PM
Randy is the Future

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
I've had mine since 07 and i can tell you i push it and it responds well. I am not big on mods so i havent done anything special to my car to make it faster or handle better but in all honesty I can push my RL around town and it is a dream to drive. I like that its heavy makes me feel more secure with pushing it. Idk maybe its just me but on the highway i cruise through traffic and its handles curves at almost any speed I've tested it at. BTW which part of Connecticut are you from? I'm in the Hartford area. RL eats through the snow. I've never gotten stuck in any snow situations. I've actually tried to get stuck and i get through it with no problems.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:54 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had my 06 RL since Nov 2008 and I have pushed my car and it handles well for my needs. I haven't started on modding my car yet. I have to finish paying off my wife's vehicle before I start. I have only tinted the windows. I have taken my car to LA and back which was 8 hour trip with no problems. I averaged from 26 to 28 mpg on that trip. The car may be heavy but I don't feel it when I drive it.
If you try to trade it you will take a major hit since you financed it for 60 months. The only way out of it would try to sell it privately then getting the car you really want.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
aspec suspen...

will change your mind. i ordered mine from curry acura and had acura of avon do it just last week. It handles like my 300zx on rails. Acura of avon in Ct. will do install and alignment for a reasonable price. i changed out my rims for 18inch and better tires. all this will cost you less than starting a new payment book, unless you are full of money... hope it helps.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by christopher1
will change your mind. i ordered mine from curry acura and had acura of avon do it just last week. It handles like my 300zx on rails. Acura of avon in Ct. will do install and alignment for a reasonable price. i changed out my rims for 18inch and better tires. all this will cost you less than starting a new payment book, unless you are full of money... hope it helps.
Thanks for the advice. Not full of money at all, I guess i just have to deal with it for now.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:42 AM
rtr
RL owner

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
not sure why you would ask people on the RL site if you should get rid of your car?? no one will say yes! try it on the TOyota forums lol
Old 05-25-2010, 12:21 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go rent a car for a week and beat the crap out of it to get that wild hair taken care of.. then get back in the RL and you will know why you got it in the first place.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,982 Likes on 14,493 Posts
I agree...a lot of times we think we're not happy.
Then you'll be in the next car and realize that the previous car had SOME of the things you grew to lvoe and will miss.

MAKE this car work for you. You got a killer APR for 5 years. Get a nice coilover setup, give it a great stance, maybe some intake action, jpipe (do they make for RL?) exhaust work...little things. For the same amount of money you will LOSE from trading in or new taxes, you can put into something tangible to make this car something you love AND you'll have a slew of parts you can resell later when you're done.

J.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by rockstar143
I agree...a lot of times we think we're not happy.
Then you'll be in the next car and realize that the previous car had SOME of the things you grew to lvoe and will miss.

MAKE this car work for you. You got a killer APR for 5 years. Get a nice coilover setup, give it a great stance, maybe some intake action, jpipe (do they make for RL?) exhaust work...little things. For the same amount of money you will LOSE from trading in or new taxes, you can put into something tangible to make this car something you love AND you'll have a slew of parts you can resell later when you're done.

J.
I really appreciate you reasoning J. you hit the nail right on the head.
Thanks J.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
i suggest looking for someone local on this forum to give you a test drive in their modded rl. try aspec suspension and see how you like it.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:04 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,982 Likes on 14,493 Posts
No problem man,
Trust me, I go thru this in my own head every day of my life. It can get expensive and the bottom line is we end up feeling empty again and we end up wanting something else/more. lol.
I wanted the TL so badly, I could taste...gotta sell my old pos RSX...I swear a month after it sold I couldn't remember why I got rid of it...it was small, versatile, handled awesome etc, great gas. Sure the TL was nicer and more luxurious etc. It was bittersweet. So I keep that in mind every time I get the itch to have RWD, or REAL power or something else. I think "man, SOMEONE out there would KILL for my TL". And all I can do is daydream about what other cars I'd rather have and why. So instead, I opened up my headlights and blacked out, lowered, put in system...little things on a budget to make the car more "me". Then I'll clean/polish it, take pics...have it as a screensaver as a reminder of how sexy MY car is to me. It's all the mental game.

This applies to gf's and wives too...there will always be a newer/flasher/bigger boobed model...but it will have a whole new set of problems and shortcomings lol.

Make what you have what you love and you never feel empty.

Whatever, probably got too deep there.

Anyway, lol...one of my jusitifications for leaving behind the 3G WAS to get an RL like yours...AWD etc...a step up.

GO FIGURE!

Take care,
Jeremy.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143

This applies to gf's and wives too...there will always be a newer/flasher/bigger boobed model...but it will have a whole new set of problems and shortcomings lol.

Make what you have what you love and you never feel empty.

Whatever, probably got too deep there.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:53 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by christopher1
+ the '09 rear stabilizer bar.....sweet!
Old 05-25-2010, 09:59 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
go rent a Boxster for the day and drive the stink out of it. You will love it. BUT , you will enjoy getting back into your comfy RL to drive around for real world commuting..

the aspec + 18" wheels is probably a better financial move that trying to get out of your current loan. you will take a loss.

the IS250 sucks. it has no power. it' is fun to drive and handles nice, but it's a slug. the IS350 is quick, but it's also very small. if you ever plan to use the back seats for real people - forget it. if I was going to buy an IS350, i'd rather just get a 2 seater... the rear seat int eh IS sucks, it's so small.

the RL and 07-08 TL are NOT that different.... not worth the huge hit you'd take on the sale / new purchase , more sales tax, etc. you'd be better off to upgrade suspension on the RL to make your MUCH more luxurious car handle more like a sports sedan...

if the RL is jus tNOT the car you want - figure out what you do want. do you want a sports car? a sports sedan? do you know what you want? go test drive a bunch of stuff. an Audi S4, an RX8, a Boxster, i dunno.. i'm throwing out diffeent cars taht are either 4 door sports sedans, 2+2 sports cars, or flat out sports cars. all will be piles more fun than an RL, but not as luxuriosu ro comfy.

no car will "do it all". it's all a comproimse unless you own more than one car. i have an RL for commuting and a boxster for fun. both have their pros/cons. i love driving my boxster with the etop down for fun on the weekend, but honestluy, for just going to/from work or having a relaxing drive, it's sucks. the RL is soooooooo oooo much nicer to just cruise, be comfy, listen to the XM/stereo, etc...

it's like women. do you want a girl who is nice and can cook and raise kids or a slut who can bang your brains out and looks good naked...... there is no such thing as a woman who can do it all. well, except for my wife...
Old 05-26-2010, 07:32 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
I agree with the rest of the group -- I think you should really try the A-Spec suspension before selling the RL. I think if you do that and get 18" wheels, you'll be really happy.

Chris