Tire / Slow leaking on CPO CAR?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Tire / Slow leaking on CPO CAR?

Hello Guys. I have a slight issue. I bought my CPO RL On the 5th of this month. During which time the TMPS light was on and mentioned to the dealer that the tire was soft " That will be taken care of " Upon taking delivery of the car on the 8th driving home to CT I started to toggle through the TMPS noticed that the same tire was low and left the sales person a message. Not taking it too seriously I had the car in for a door handle replacement at which time I mention to my new servicing dealer that the TMPS was giving mixed reading. " They adjusted the air pressure and said it might be the weather”. To end my curiosity I decided to take it to BJ'S tire repair today as that tire kept showing lower readings they told me that the tire has a small hole close to the side wall and cannot be repaired. What can I do what should I do? The tire does not go flat and if I fill it up every 4 days with just a little air it’s fine. The car has 39,000 miles now also there was not sign of anything in the tire like a nail etc. Is this somethoing i should report to the dealer? or am i alone on this. It's hard to have to buy 4 tires now on a CPO car which should have been checked. Any thoughts

Last edited by Mr.Tea; 03-22-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
CPO means that the car should be certified to go out the door. An unrepairable tire certainly does not meet that. Did anybody document it? Otherwise start with your sales or service guy, and keep stressing that 1-car was delivered like that, 2-car is unsafe to drive. Go up management ladder accordingly. If they want to change one tire, you might want to do some reading up regarding the all wheel drive system. I think even Acura recommends the tires get changed at the same time, or the new one gets cut down to match. Good luck!
Old 03-22-2010, 06:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by drolds72
CPO means that the car should be certified to go out the door. An unrepairable tire certainly does not meet that. Did anybody document it? Otherwise start with your sales or service guy, and keep stressing that 1-car was delivered like that, 2-car is unsafe to drive. Go up management ladder accordingly. If they want to change one tire, you might want to do some reading up regarding the all wheel drive system. I think even Acura recommends the tires get changed at the same time, or the new one gets cut down to match. Good luck!
Thanks much for the help.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Agree with droids. The tire has a hole in it. It does not meet CPO spec and is currently "unsafe to drive". You need to let the dealer know about it. Bring the documentation from BJ's if necessary. Should be end of story. You need to replace at minimum two tires because of SH-AWD.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Agree with droids. The tire has a hole in it. It does not meet CPO spec and is currently "unsafe to drive". You need to let the dealer know about it. Bring the documentation from BJ's if necessary. Should be end of story. You need to replace at minimum two tires because of SH-AWD.
Hello Rob Thanks for the Information.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:59 PM
Racer

Rob I have a question, If I replace all four tires should i stick with the OEM tires?
Old 03-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Racer

I can get a set of new Take off tires for $600.00 If this a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-245...s#ht_538wt_930
Old 03-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Mr.Tea
Rob I have a question, If I replace all four tires should i stick with the OEM tires?
It depends on what you want out of the car. If you want to maintain a stock ride with quiet tires, then yes. If you want better handling, then you may want to consider stickier rubber, of which there are some options.....just pop into the Tires/suspension section and do a little searching.

As far as whether the takeoffs are a good deal....I'd feel better inspecting them personally first, but $600 is a decent deal. Not a fabulous deal.....when I sold my RL I sold my stock wheels with stock tires only used for 996 miles to another forum member for $600. In retrospect, that was the deal of the century.

In your case, the dealer is on the hook here as the car left the dealership with a leaky tire. Ideally, you shouldn't have to put out any money. Do keep us posted.

Leaving this thread on the front page for a little longer....
Old 03-24-2010, 08:28 PM
Racer

Hello Guys I sent the dealer a letter this and got a response from my sales person as follows>> "What do you want us to do about this tire issue? My manager is aware of this issue and was wondering what the solution to this problem would be??

Guys Should I only be asking for a replacement on one tire here? as the problem is only with the driver front? Please advise, i really appreciate.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Hello Guys I sent the dealer a letter this and got a response from my sales person as follows>> "What do you want us to do about this tire issue? My manager is aware of this issue and was wondering what the solution to this problem would be??

Guys Should I only be asking for a replacement on one tire here? as the problem is only with the driver front? Please advise, i really appreciate.
Ask for two new replacement tires for the front of the vehicle. From the owner's manual:

"It is best to replace all four tires at
the same time. If that is not possible
or necessary, replace the two front
tires or two rear tires as a pair.
Replacing just one tire can seriously
affect your vehicle’s handling."

It's their problem - they didn't do the appropriate CPO inspection. Stand firm. If they resist, call Acura Client Services and let them handle it.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:44 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by dwboston
Ask for two new replacement tires for the front of the vehicle. From the owner's manual:

"It is best to replace all four tires at
the same time. If that is not possible
or necessary, replace the two front
tires or two rear tires as a pair.
Replacing just one tire can seriously
affect your vehicle’s handling."

It's their problem - they didn't do the appropriate CPO inspection. Stand firm. If they resist, call Acura Client Services and let them handle it.

Thanks i guess i will have to Pay for the Shipping cost to me. But that would not be too bad i would imagine.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Like dwboston said, and I above him, ask for two replacement tires. I guess paying the shipping cost is reasonable, but in an ideal world the dealer would eat that too under CPO. Hope you get this behind you soon so you can enjoy your RL!
Old 03-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Racer

Like dwboston said, and I above him, ask for two replacement tires. I guess paying the shipping cost is reasonable, but in an ideal world the dealer would eat that too under CPO. Hope you get this behind you soon so you can enjoy your RL!
Hello Rob I sent the dealer an email on the 25th still have not heard back on the decision. I emailed again yesterday and also mentioned it to my Attorney as well. I mentioned that they could ship the tires directly to me but i have not heard back from them on my email yesterday as well. I will give them until thursday and get Acura involved.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Good move, give them a little time to respond. Why not call, or do they usually respond to email promptly?