Tint install issue: door clip broken

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 03:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Tint install issue: door clip broken

I had my tint installed a few days ago. The installers took the door panels off to complete the installation. I noted the next day that three of the door panels were loose. I took the car back to the installer today to have them properly reinstalled. They could do all properly except the passenger's side. The top of the door panel was still loose. What they found, and (to their credit) showed me was that the place where the top door clip was supposed to be seated was damaged to the point that the clip could not make a connection.

The problem is, that clip holder is part of a piece of plastic on the inner surface that spans the entire surface of the door panel. This means that that entire piece needs to be replaced. I should've taken a picture but I don't have the heart to take the door apart again.

The installer showed me clearly what happened and took responsibility, so I'm not going to bash them, stuff just happens and I'm sure it was accidental.

I was going to the dealer anyway this week to have the backup camera installed, but now I am getting an estimate for this repair in addition. Has anyone else experienced this? Amazingly, this has caused no rattle and is hardly an emergency to fix.

Thanks!
Old 12-26-2006, 03:31 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think it is necessary to take off door panels to intall the tint on an RL. Mine came out to be pretty good. However, my bodyshop who repaired my front damage took off my driver's door panel (so they could remove the door handle)and it makes some screaking noises when I push the top part of the panel. I assume some clips must not be sitting right.

Let us know how it goes on your part.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:19 PM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
yeah, i don't know why they had to take off the door panels. for me, they just cut the tint paper according to the shape and size of the window and stuck them on with the use of some water and a blowtorch for some areas. seemed pretty straight forward, and it was a perfect fit for all windows.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:54 AM
Senior Moderator

I asked the dealer to estimate the cost of repair.

The door panel has to be replaced (as I said, the door clip holder on the panel was broken, so this makes sense). cost is $350 for the part, and one hour labor, $96.

Hopefully the tint place's insurance will ante up without me having to go to small claims court.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:46 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backup Camera

To Neuronbob,

Recently I have had to oppertunity to borrow two differeny Acura for my dealer.
One was an MDX and the other was an TL

My point here is that both had the Backup Camera feature and my wife wonders
why our 06 RL does not.

Could you please tell me what your dealer is going to charge you for this installation??

(I was going to the dealer anyway this week to have the backup camera installed,)

Thanks
Thumper
Old 12-10-2007, 09:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Thumper
To Neuronbob,

Recently I have had to oppertunity to borrow two differeny Acura for my dealer.
One was an MDX and the other was an TL

My point here is that both had the Backup Camera feature and my wife wonders
why our 06 RL does not.

Could you please tell me what your dealer is going to charge you for this installation??

(I was going to the dealer anyway this week to have the backup camera installed,)

Thanks
Thumper
The camera was a dealer-installed accessory on the 06 RL and became a factory installed standard equipment item starting with the 07 tech package RL. Not sure if the 07 and 08 "base" models w/o Nav get the camera.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Hey Thumper,

dwboston said it correctly. The camera was an add-on option for 2006. I paid for the camera and install from my dealer instead of ordering the camera separately. I paid $687 for camera + install, and the experience of most others who had it installed was for a similar cost when purchased from the dealer.

The base 2007-8 models do not come with a camera, only Tech and Tech/CMBS. However, my guess is that it can be added on as an option for the base models.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:05 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Neuronbob

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Hey Thumper,

dwboston said it correctly. The camera was an add-on option for 2006. I paid for the camera and install from my dealer instead of ordering the camera separately. I paid $687 for camera + install, and the experience of most others who had it installed was for a similar cost when purchased from the dealer.

The base 2007-8 models do not come with a camera, only Tech and Tech/CMBS. However, my guess is that it can be added on as an option for the base models.
What's another $700 to keep your wife happy.

Thanks for your help.

Thumper