Should I Replace Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014 | 02:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Finally... Service writers can be scum sometimes.
Old 10-22-2014 | 02:07 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by justnspace
also, im glad you were smart enough to research and poke and pry some more.

throw another engine in there and keep driving!!
HA! My third vehicle a Toyota Sienna can't do 35mph in a right angle turn like the RL can... That's the real reason I wanted real answers!

Gonna weigh the options tonight with my wife. We shall see.
Old 10-22-2014 | 02:25 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by jmack
Hello all, and first thank you for all of your help the past couple of days!

All of your questions and thoughts led me to watch a lot of you tube and I learned a lot about what the noise might mean, how to do the potential repairs, etc. That research and the info I have learned here allowed me to confirm the dealer was not communicating the whole story to me, so I went down there and raised some questions. I should add to this that I have been buying cars from the Bobby Rahal group for over 14 years, so I also felt I had some firm ground to stand on.

I spoke to the Service Manager and the Technicians that diagnosed the issues. One of the techs has been there for 20 years and the other was relatively new, but they knew a whole lot more than I'd been hearing from the Service Advisor! Here is what I learned:

- The noise is a bearing rod or rod shaft noise noise. The noise gets faster and more defined when the coil pack is pulled from cylinder 2. When the other coil packs are pulled there is no change in the sound. He stated there is more space than there should be between the bearing and the ring and the bearing is therefore jumping around.
- To diagnose the true problem will take 12.2 hours which results in the removal of the sub-frame, oil pan and pulling the cylinder heads ($1200)
- To rebuild will take 20.4 hours and would include these parts: connecting rod (machined), connecting rod bolts, piston rings, crankshaft ($3300) -- Note, if damage is found in the cylinder there would be additional parts/labor.
- So we are looking at a minimum of $4500 to diagnose and rebuild.

The replacement engine option:
- 74k mile motor ($1625)
- reuse of all the key good parts from my car, belts, plugs, pumps, etc.
- replace rear main seal
- labor ($936)
- Total ($2637)

I feel like I now have all of the info to make an informed decision. If I decide to sell the car as-is I will contact those of you that have expressed interest. Thanks again for all of the help! You folks are !

Now THIS sounds like a REAL diagnosis and it's what you should have gotten to begin with! I've always hated having service advisors as the middle men. I want direct communication with the tech(s) that worked on my car, but that never happens until you raise a stink about things!

In any event, now that we know the real story, I would lean toward throwing in a replacement engine at $2637. That's not bad of a price at all for the engine and labor. Definitely less costly than the hit you would take on selling it or trading it as is.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (10-22-2014)
Old 10-22-2014 | 02:26 PM

def. keep the RL
jmack (10-22-2014)
Old 10-22-2014 | 02:33 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
Finally... Service writers can be scum sometimes.
Today I went with the same concern. They explained they have Service Writers (appointments, paperwork), Service Advisors (Liaisons), and Service Techs.

I think Rahal does a great job with the day to day explanations for the regularly scheduled maintenance. In this instance, they seemed to fall short. I'll chalk it up to the unusual circumstances and the resulting jump to the conclusion that the consumer wants to go the cheapest route, we are the experts, so we will give them just enough info to move forward.

Contrary to this is the consumer that wants to understand the root of the issue and all of the options so they can make an informed decision. I liken it to the fact that car salesmen had to adjust when car prices started being available via the internet. These service groups need to be proactive and assume their customers are going to do their own research (you tube, this board), etc. That is where they fell short in my opinion.

This stated, Rahal is still tops of any dealer I've worked with. In fact other than the fact I have to haggle down of parts or labor prices here and there, I'm completely pleased with their customer service and will continue to work with them.
The following 2 users liked this post by jmack:
justnspace (10-22-2014), oo7spy (10-23-2014)
Old 10-22-2014 | 10:01 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by justnspace
beekerman called it.

thrown rod
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once and awhile!

Sorry to hear what happened. Very unusual on these motors. Bad luck I guess.
The following 2 users liked this post by beekermartin:
HEAVY_RL (10-23-2014), jmack (10-23-2014)
Old 10-22-2014 | 10:09 PM
Pro

Btw, as I mentioned earlier I work for a Honda dealer. There is a reason most techs don't talk to customers. Let's just say most of them tend to lack people skills. Service advisors are much better at talking directly to customers. With that said when something as drastic as this comes up I would always demand to talk directly with the tech that is diagnosing it. Service advisors know the basic maintenance stuff but most don't even know what a rod bearing is. Techs that are great at working on cars and are also great at dealing with people usually own their own garage. Just my .02!
The following 3 users liked this post by beekermartin:
jmack (10-23-2014), justnspace (10-23-2014), oo7spy (10-23-2014)
Old 10-23-2014 | 08:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by beekermartin
Btw, as I mentioned earlier I work for a Honda dealer. There is a reason most techs don't talk to customers. Let's just say most of them tend to lack people skills. Service advisors are much better at talking directly to customers. With that said when something as drastic as this comes up I would always demand to talk directly with the tech that is diagnosing it. Service advisors know the basic maintenance stuff but most don't even know what a rod bearing is. Techs that are great at working on cars and are also great at dealing with people usually own their own garage. Just my .02!
No disrespect, but the reason tech's don't talk to customers is because most techs are glorified parts changers and just follow the book.

Obviously you are a rare breed that can understand the issue and actually communicate it.

That said a service writers job is to sell, most get paid on sales and their techs just swap out parts. Even if THEY break something or notice something broken, its not fixed its upsold, then fixed.

In a day to day scenario, a service writer gets a walk in oil change and sells wipers or a brake job... in this scenario they are all off of their game.
Old 10-23-2014 | 09:14 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

I agree with most of you. I don't believe most techs have people skills and most service writers don't have the technical base/understanding to communicate the diagnosis. If they do and the customer comes up with secondary questions, they are sunk. Over and above this, most customers don't have the technical base/understanding and there is a larger population who don't care and just want to find out what it's going to cost to get them back on the road.

I have a friend who is buying a 2008 Ford Edge with 157K from her brother in law for $1000 because it needs a $4000 transmission. She has no idea what is wrong with the transmission but knows $4K will get it back to normal. I asked a few questions she couldn't answer but told me it does drive..........
Old 10-23-2014 | 09:36 AM
Suzuka Master

My circle of friends (some techs) buy cars like that ALL the time!

People are convinced it cost big money to fix, or they are just worried about reliability.
Old 10-23-2014 | 09:56 AM
Racer

Put that used motor in and call it a day.

In the end though, hopefully it all works out for you.
justnspace (10-23-2014)
Old 10-23-2014 | 12:14 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
No disrespect, but the reason tech's don't talk to customers is because most techs are glorified parts changers and just follow the book.

Obviously you are a rare breed that can understand the issue and actually communicate it.

That said a service writers job is to sell, most get paid on sales and their techs just swap out parts. Even if THEY break something or notice something broken, its not fixed its upsold, then fixed.

In a day to day scenario, a service writer gets a walk in oil change and sells wipers or a brake job... in this scenario they are all off of their game.
No offense taking. There are some great actual technicians out there, we are lucky to have a few working here, but they are rare nowadays. Changing parts is the most common repair nowadays.

We live in a throw away society. Almost no one fixes anything. Everyone is shocked that I try to repair everything before I buy something new. For example, right now my dryer is in a 100 pieces because I am waiting for some new parts to arrive. Everyone I know says I am crazy and I should just buy a new one. I would rather spend a few hours fixing something and spending @100 on parts then replacing the entire dryer for $500-800.

BTW, I work in sales not in service. My flame suit is on! I've been a car nut since I was a kid so I know more than the average sales manager.

Last edited by beekermartin; 10-23-2014 at 12:16 PM.
HEAVY_RL (10-23-2014)
Old 10-23-2014 | 01:49 PM
Cruisin'

So last night the Service Manager called from the Dealer. He asked for permission to perform the PA inspection on the car (which is due shortly) so we have a true picture of what is wrong. I told ok and when he called me this AM to give me the details, he asked me what I really wanted from the dealership. On a whim, I told him I wanted them to buy the car as is for $3000; no strings except for the possibility that I would come back in the spring to buy a cert pre-owned of some sort.

He called back this afternoon and said that $3000 is a stretch and that they will be selling the car at auction, but they will do it. So now, since I have other wheels, I have a slew of options.

Now I'm second guessing the price I offered and wondering if I could get more based on these facts:

Needs Engine rebuilt or replace
AFS control unit needs to be replaced; but lights work as designed ($860)
Seatbelt buckle causing SRS sensor to light; but dealer will repair for no cost.

Car is Blk/Beige
Paint is good; original
No rust
Missing both rear mud guards
The body has minor scratches; small dent on top of trunk lid near acura symbol
The interior is clean and only shows normal wear
Wheels have minor scratches and scrapes
Aftermarket iPod connector through XM2 interfaces with Nav
All tires are at 6 (Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Asymmetrical Ultra High Performance All-Season)
Front Brakes are at 7
Rear Brakes are at 5
Clean title and carfax
Current PA Inspection and Emission
Service records from 55k forward
All major maintenace completed

Thoughts?
Old 10-23-2014 | 02:12 PM

at $2.5k, engine replacement was a steaL!!!!!!!!!!!

at $3k, its still a good deal.

I would replace engine for no more than $3.5k total.

and anything extra you could tack on would be awesome!
jmack (10-23-2014)
Old 10-23-2014 | 02:14 PM
Pro

I think $3000 for a dealer is probably a bit on the higher side because of the costs with getting it ready and the actual auction fees. Of course the auction is a gamble. I am there every week. It could do $2000 it could do $4000. With a bad engine I would say it does closer to the $2000 range. Most wholesalers don't want to deal with replacing an engine in a car as complex as the RL.

I would like to buy it for $3000 but that is on the higher side considering how far away you are from me. Is the transmission good? Does everything else work ok? Did you have the propeller shaft replaced already? Can I see some pics?
jmack (10-23-2014)
Old 10-23-2014 | 02:15 PM
Pro

My recommendation would be to fix the engine if you can get it done for @3000. In the long run you will get your money back.
justnspace (10-23-2014)
Old 10-23-2014 | 02:29 PM
Cruisin'

I think $3000 for a dealer is probably a bit on the higher side because of the costs with getting it ready and the actual auction fees. Of course the auction is a gamble. I am there every week. It could do $2000 it could do $4000. With a bad engine I would say it does closer to the $2000 range. Most wholesalers don't want to deal with replacing an engine in a car as complex as the RL.

I would like to buy it for $3000 but that is on the higher side considering how far away you are from me. Is the transmission good? Does everything else work ok? Did you have the propeller shaft replaced already? Can I see some pics?
Transmission is good. Everything else is as stated a couple of posts up. I have not had the propeller shaft replaced. She does whir between 30 and 40 MPH when it is 35 degrees F or colder outside.
Old 10-23-2014 | 02:36 PM
Pro

Transmission is good. Everything else is as stated a couple of posts up. I have not had the propeller shaft replaced. She does whir between 30 and 40 MPH when it is 35 degrees F or colder outside.
For the price you were quoted to replace the engine that is what I recommend you do. If they are willing to give you $3000 as is and you just want to walk away from it then I would say that is fair. $3000 for the car, $3000 for an engine, then still have to replace possibly the propeller shaft, probably a few engine mounts, the AFS system, other random things that will come up with a job this big, etc.

Maybe someone else will give you more but I can't imagine much more.
Old 10-23-2014 | 02:39 PM
Pro

I received your pm but I can't answer until you empty your in and out box. Because you are a new member you have to keep emptying it until the trial period is over.
Old 10-23-2014 | 02:41 PM

Trade and Engine Options:
- 2,000 in trade as the car sits
- 5,000 in trade with replacement "known good" engine
- $2900 for an engine with 74K miles (installled) - 30 day parts only warranty
- $2470 for an engine with 106k miles (installed) - 6 months parts only warranty
- $2700 for the 106K engine with a 1 year parts only warranty

The private party value of the car is probably less than 8,000 with a replaced engine. I'm leaning towards trade, but am going to call around to see if I can get more than 2,000 selling the car for parts.
Are these numbers still in play or have they changed?

- The noise is a bearing rod or rod shaft noise noise. The noise gets faster and more defined when the coil pack is pulled from cylinder 2. When the other coil packs are pulled there is no change in the sound. He stated there is more space than there should be between the bearing and the ring and the bearing is therefore jumping around.
- To diagnose the true problem will take 12.2 hours which results in the removal of the sub-frame, oil pan and pulling the cylinder heads ($1200)
- To rebuild will take 20.4 hours and would include these parts: connecting rod (machined), connecting rod bolts, piston rings, crankshaft ($3300) -- Note, if damage is found in the cylinder there would be additional parts/labor.
- So we are looking at a minimum of $4500 to diagnose and rebuild.

The replacement engine option:
- 74k mile motor ($1625)
- reuse of all the key good parts from my car, belts, plugs, pumps, etc.
- replace rear main seal
- labor ($936)
- Total ($2637)

I feel like I now have all of the info to make an informed decision. If I decide to sell the car as-is I will contact those of you that have expressed interest. Thanks again for all of the help! You folks are !
What did the Mrs say?

$3K For replacement is roughly 8(?) months of car payments when looking at ROI. However, I'm guessing you would be up against another timing belt replacement in the next two years?
Have you used this dealer all along?
Are they competent enough to rebuild or replace an engine?
What is your comfort level with them?
Can you get more than $3K by parting out?
Old 10-23-2014 | 03:18 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
Are these numbers still in play or have they changed?
They are basically the same. A couple of hundred less here and there. Big change is $3000 cash and I can walk away.

What did the Mrs say?
She wants to walk away, but said it's my decision.

$3K For replacement is roughly 8(?) months of car payments when looking at ROI. However, I'm guessing you would be up against another timing belt replacement in the next two years? I'd say three to four years.
Have you used this dealer all along? I bought the car from their non-certified affiliate, but yes for service needs. They have Toyota, Honda, and Acura. I've bought many cars from each.
Are they competent enough to rebuild or replace an engine? I think so. I got a good impression when I was able to talk to the shop foreman.
What is your comfort level with them? High
Can you get more than $3K by parting out? Looking into that.
Answered in-line above.
Old 10-23-2014 | 03:37 PM

Certainly sounds like you have lots of options especially since you have alternate transportation. I'm guessing the dealership will be looking for a decision from you pretty soon though.
Old 10-23-2014 | 03:54 PM
Cruisin'

Certainly sounds like you have lots of options especially since you have alternate transportation. I'm guessing the dealership will be looking for a decision from you pretty soon though.
They said early next week. They are working with me!
Old 10-23-2014 | 04:04 PM

That's a plus

They are probably figuring you are going to be spending a wad of $$ there one way or another.
Old 10-24-2014 | 09:49 AM
Cruisin'

Since I got the no strings attached deal, I decided to sell her (the RL - not the wife) for $3000 to the dealer. They told me that they are not going to fix her and will sell her at auction. I will try and find out which auction and will post here just in case any of you want to take a chance on her...
Old 10-24-2014 | 09:58 AM

Congrats on your decision to sell, the car, not the wife . Probably a good chance it winds up at the Manheim auction like beeker mentioned. Would be interesting to find out what it sells for at auction.
Old 10-24-2014 | 01:33 PM
Pro

I'll try to track it on the manheim reports. Ask the dealer what auction and what day it runs on. I feel it will do between 2500-3500 if the motor noise is very noticeable.
Old 10-24-2014 | 05:56 PM
Racer

You've made the wrong decision to sell her (the car) and not you're wife. ...I kid..I kid.

Glad it all worked out for you.
jmack (10-25-2014)
Old 10-25-2014 | 05:28 PM
Cruisin'

I'll try to track it on the manheim reports. Ask the dealer what auction and what day it runs on. I feel it will do between 2500-3500 if the motor noise is very noticeable.
I asked them today when I sold her, they said they did not know when they would send her. She is loud! I took some picks. PM me your email addy if you'd like them. I can't post pics yet...
Old 11-01-2014 | 12:06 PM
Instructor

A little late but if the engine is loud and the tech sees metal shavings in the oil when drained, no question the motor is done. The tech only gets paid an hour diagnosis which is why they couldn't tell you exactly what gave out prior, unless you want to pay for engine tear down.

$2600 isn't exactly a bad price for a motor swap but I'm sure you're happy with your decision
Old 11-03-2014 | 04:09 PM

beeker - Just curious if you were able to track this vehicle?? No worries if you can't or didn't.
Old 11-03-2014 | 04:55 PM
Pro

beeker - Just curious if you were able to track this vehicle?? No worries if you can't or didn't.

So far I haven't seen it. I believe he said it had 103k on it.
Old 11-03-2014 | 05:12 PM

Thanks beeker!!
Old 11-09-2014 | 07:05 PM
Advanced

I concur that in your area the body should be in good shape and a motor replacement is the best choice. I have an 06 that I bought at 106K and now have 120K after 18 months. The car was from Philadelphia. Looks like brand new inside and out and underneath. These cars and their engines should last 300K from what I see on this site. I think they are trying to steal the car from you with that trade in value. Very unfortunate what happened. Probably a defect from the factory that took 100k to break. Maybe talk to the Acura area rep that they should help you pay for this given your faithful purchasing of Acuras in the past. Sort of a good will gesture to keep a loyal customer happy. Who knows. Even a little $ would help. This car should not have an engine failure at this mileage!
Old 11-11-2014 | 08:24 AM
Instructor

Engines for the RL are CHEAP. Good move replacing the engine I'd have come down to PA and taken it off your hands for $2000 :>). The engines cost something like $1200 where I am before installation. I think $3000 all in with all replacement parts is a steal for such a great car.

My mechanic mentioned that he's now looking for 'suckers' that want to get rid of their RL's when it's a simple engine swap :>)
Old 11-11-2014 | 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by dapqam
I concur that in your area the body should be in good shape and a motor replacement is the best choice. I have an 06 that I bought at 106K and now have 120K after 18 months. The car was from Philadelphia. Looks like brand new inside and out and underneath. These cars and their engines should last 300K from what I see on this site. I think they are trying to steal the car from you with that trade in value. Very unfortunate what happened. Probably a defect from the factory that took 100k to break. Maybe talk to the Acura area rep that they should help you pay for this given your faithful purchasing of Acuras in the past. Sort of a good will gesture to keep a loyal customer happy. Who knows. Even a little $ would help. This car should not have an engine failure at this mileage!
Originally Posted by kingofbytes
Engines for the RL are CHEAP. Good move replacing the engine I'd have come down to PA and taken it off your hands for $2000 :>). The engines cost something like $1200 where I am before installation. I think $3000 all in with all replacement parts is a steal for such a great car.

My mechanic mentioned that he's now looking for 'suckers' that want to get rid of their RL's when it's a simple engine swap :>)

Did you guys read the end of this thread?? OP sold the car to the dealer and the dealer was planning on selling it to a wholesaler to be auctioned.
Old 11-11-2014 | 11:30 AM
Instructor

Did you guys read the end of this thread?? OP sold the car to the dealer and the dealer was planning on selling it to a wholesaler to be auctioned.
The advice is still sound regardless of result of the OP. Other people will read the threads....not just the OP.
Old 11-11-2014 | 11:34 AM

OK, but you said "Good move replacing the engine...." so I read your response as one directed to the OP. No worries