RL's wheels - it takes all kinds!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 09:55 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Talking RL's wheels - it takes all kinds!

No, this is about things people and don't like about the RL, not a Tires and Wheels forum issue.

One of the things we've all crabbed about from time is the OEM wheels on the RL, which many consider to be boring and somewhat cheap-looking. I guess I've "made peace" with them, since I like the car so much, but they're not the best-looking wheels out there by a long shot. Right?

Well, I'm also an MDX owner, and it turns out the Sport Pkg. wheels look a lot like the RL's wheels to me. What do you think?

RL wheels on left, MDX Sport in middle and MDX Tech wheels on right.

I personally like the Tech wheels better, since the slots "lighten" the wheels, and they just look more expensive to me. More than anything else, they don't look as much like the RL wheels.

But ... a LOT of people on the MDX forum LOVE the Sport wheels, and some people have said they paid the extra for the Sport Pkg. just to get those awesome wheels.

People are funny, huh?

Old 07-21-2007, 10:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
As usual, you raise a good point!

The 'X Sport wheels do remind me of the stock RL wheels. However, the diff is they actually look GOOD on the MDX. The stock RL wheels simply don' t fit the elegant RL at all, however. Obviously, Acura is taking time to think about this model. This gives me hope or the next RL.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:06 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had a customer buy the Sport MDX just for the wheels. She looked into buying a Tech and then just buying the Sport wheels to swap over, but it would have actually been more money to do it that way.

I personally think the 18 inch accessory wheels for the RL are what should come standard. I think the 19 inch MDX accessory wheels should come standard on the MDX as well.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:03 AM
Wheelin' Dealer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda/Acura has hired a new wheel design team according to my rep and this would be consistent with the brochure spy shots of the new Accord coupe.

http://vtec.net/news/news-image?imag...coupe_side.jpg

That being said, I cannot believe anyone would think the regular MDX wheel looks better than the sport. The sport wheel has a kind of bright/polished finish which really adds to it. I think I actually like that finish over chrome which has been done to death IMO. The regular MDX wheel looks like someone on the design team threw up on a tire and they ran with it

Guess that's why Baskin Robbins has 31-derful flavors!
Old 07-21-2007, 11:29 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by jcbridges

That being said, I cannot believe anyone would think the regular MDX wheel looks better than the sport. The sport wheel has a kind of bright/polished finish which really adds to it. I think I actually like that finish over chrome which has been done to death IMO. The regular MDX wheel looks like someone on the design team threw up on a tire and they ran with it

Guess that's why Baskin Robbins has 31-derful flavors!
Well, you made my point!

The MDX Sport wheels do have a different finish from the Tech wheels, but it's actually the Tech that is polished aluminum alloy. The Sport wheels appear to me to have a sort of titanium-look painted finish.

But I guess the killer for me is the "stamped-steel" look of the Sport wheels, which is the same beef I have with the RL wheels. The Tech wheels at least look like they were actually cast and then finished.

The amusing thing to me as an RL owner is the resemblance of the Sport wheels to the widely disliked RL wheels. But I respect the dissenting point of view.

Old 07-21-2007, 01:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by White92
I personally think the 18 inch accessory wheels for the RL are what should come standard.
I LOVE the 18 inchers. Those are great! My stockers have been sitting in my garage since October last year. I'm keeping them only because I'm not sure my Proxes will survive another harsh Cleveland winter, so I've been mulling over snow tires. I just can't get past the look, however.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:04 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I LOVE the 18 inchers. Those are great! My stockers have been sitting in my garage since October last year. I'm keeping them only because I'm not sure my Proxes will survive another harsh Cleveland winter, so I've been mulling over snow tires. I just can't get past the look, however.
Hope I'm not wobbling off topic, but I see the new M-B C-class sport wheels look a lot like the A-Spec's. That's a testament to the enduring good looks of that wheel!

Old 07-21-2007, 04:49 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
As usual, you raise a good point!

The 'X Sport wheels do remind me of the stock RL wheels. However, the diff is they actually look GOOD on the MDX. The stock RL wheels simply don' t fit the elegant RL at all, however. Obviously, Acura is taking time to think about this model. This gives me hope or the next RL.
Agree. I don't think the RL wheels look bad. They just look bad on the RL.

That wheel is a rugged design for a sports car, or even an SUV, but looks out of place on the RL.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:16 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know about you all... but I think BMW has consistently had the best selection of wheel designs. The ones on the X5 and M5 are gorgeous.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jcbridges
Honda/Acura has hired a new wheel design team according to my rep and this would be consistent with the brochure spy shots of the new Accord coupe.

http://vtec.net/news/news-image?imag...coupe_side.jpg
This is off topic but that Accord coupe looks hot. It kind of looks like a 6er from the side and the sedan looks like a 3-/5-series. Also, it looks like they got rid of LED tail lights, at least on the coupe.

As for RL wheels, .
Old 08-01-2007, 12:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I guess the new Accord Coupe will be the next TSX Coupe with just s few minor refinements - just a guess though
Old 08-02-2007, 09:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
My POV:
Yes the RL needs better wheels. The A Spec wheels should be standard on the RL.
I have never been interested in after-market wheels until I bought an RL.
The MDX Sport wheels do look cheap and like pressed steel. The MDX tech look far more expensive and tastefully executed. I am thinking of getting the Sport but I will have to deal for the regular wheels.
BMW wheels are not bad but the problem with BMW's is that they are not "exclusive" cars, it seems that BMW's are very common and each car has four of those wheels!
The RL should have also included the wood steering wheel, the wood shift knob and the rear spoiler. Then they could really have said that there are no options on this car. As it is, to add the items above and the tires and wheels, it's an extra $3000 to bring the car up to where it should have been in he first place. There are some other feattures that should have been included but that is a separate thread.