RL vs M35X guy has a quote - what do you think????

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 01:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RL vs M35X guy has a quote - what do you think????

Hi all,

You were very helpful with my M35x v RL comparo and now I need some more views. Got the offer below today on Black/ Parch 2006 RL. 4300 miles and they'll sell it to me for $41, 271 +TTL.

Advice? Anybody ever buy a dealer demo. I was at this dealer a month ago and did see the car as well as the driver - it is who they said it is. Nevertheless, I know it had to be available for "test romps".

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Jeff

==============================================

Thanks for your interest in the Acura RL. I have the 06 RL Black W/Parchment interior available. It was used by XXXX XXXXX the General Manager here at AcuraXXXXXXXXXX. It has 4367 miles on it along with some accessories.

rear spoiler
rear view camera
splash guards
wood steering wheel
wood shift knob

total cost of the vehicle w/accessories $52,295
Old 10-10-2006, 01:50 PM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a bit high for a vehicle with 4K miles on it, although the wood wheel, spoiler (eeew) and camera offsets that somewhat.... I'd try and get about 800-1000 more off of it at least, given that the 0-mile ones are selling for around $40K....
Old 10-10-2006, 01:57 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by super_call
Hi all,

You were very helpful with my M35x v RL comparo and now I need some more views. Got the offer below today on Black/ Parch 2006 RL. 4300 miles and they'll sell it to me for $41, 271 +TTL.

Advice? Anybody ever buy a dealer demo. I was at this dealer a month ago and did see the car as well as the driver - it is who they said it is. Nevertheless, I know it had to be available for "test romps".

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Jeff

==============================================

Thanks for your interest in the Acura RL. I have the 06 RL Black W/Parchment interior available. It was used by XXXX XXXXX the General Manager here at AcuraXXXXXXXXXX. It has 4367 miles on it along with some accessories.

rear spoiler
rear view camera
splash guards
wood steering wheel
wood shift knob

total cost of the vehicle w/accessories $52,295

This isn't a BAD deal, but it's also not the best deal in the land, considering the mileage, After all, it's a used car now, and that's about the equivalent of 3-4 months of mileage.

The accessories offset the mileage a little, but that's still more than paid for my brand new '06 RL with 11 miles on it. Whether the GM actually drove the car or not is something you'll never know for sure, but it was almost certainly used for test drives.

Given that it's an RL, it's doubtful the car was abused during the test drives ... this car just doesn't lend itself to smoky burnouts and broadslides.

If I were you and I really liked the car, I think I'd offer them $39,000 on the basis new ones are being sold for $40k or less, and this one is a used car. See if they'll negotiate. If not, look around for a new one at the price they're offering or less.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Not bad, but you can do better. What location are you in ? If in cali they are selling new ones for 40k
Old 10-10-2006, 02:29 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
This isn't a BAD deal, but it's also not the best deal in the land, considering the mileage, After all, it's a used car now, and that's about the equivalent of 3-4 months of mileage.

The accessories offset the mileage a little, but that's still more than paid for my brand new '06 RL with 11 miles on it. Whether the GM actually drove the car or not is something you'll never know for sure, but it was almost certainly used for test drives.

Given that it's an RL, it's doubtful the car was abused during the test drives ... this car just doesn't lend itself to smoky burnouts and broadslides.

If I were you and I really liked the car, I think I'd offer them $39,000 on the basis new ones are being sold for $40k or less, and this one is a used car. See if they'll negotiate. If not, look around for a new one at the price they're offering or less.
^^^ What he said. I think you can do a bit better. I've bought similar "demo" cars in the past. Given the demographics of those who would test drive the car, I think you're safe and as far as maintenance, it probably hasn't even called for an oil change yet.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:39 PM
Intermediate

I countered

Thanks everybody! i was going to pull the trigger as i thought it was a good deal. Amazingly I got like 5 replies ASAP.

I countered at $39,125 for a "used car with 4,000 miles"

Pretty original.

I'm in the Boston suburbs.

Jeff
Old 10-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Even 39K seems generous to the dealer. Brand new 06 RLs should now be about 40 and change whereas if you traded in an 06 RL with 4000 miles on it, you might get somewhere in the low 30's. Might want to squeeze a little harder and if the dealer does not cooperate, shop around for a brand new car. Good luck.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:04 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
The difference is that this RL has a few extras.

- Camera
- Spoiler
- Wood wheel

etc. Just those options alone are well over $1,000 if you want to add them on your own.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
Even though that's a reasonable deal I'd go for the new car for less. I'm sure you can get a decent deal in Boston, especially if you wait until the end of the month.

When I purchased my RL three weeks ago, the salesman first offered me a fully loaded w/ extras "demo model" with 3k miles on it for $40k. I declined immediately as I didn't want a car with excess miles, but that's just me.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:21 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
I suspect dealers take a big depreciation haircut on their demo cars anyway so the "profit" they make even if they sell it to people like us at a knock down price ( say 37 or 38 K for Jeff Super_call's prospective car), would still be decent for them anyway.

I like the back-up cam cos I do not have one. Was it about $600 including installation ?
For the other accessories, personally, I would not place a whole lot of value on them cos when you sell in future, you get very little (if anything at all) for these goodies.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:40 AM
Intermediate

Well - he didn't move a dime.

The search will continue. To re-iterate - I WAS going to pull the trigger and then your replies gave me food for thought. Amazing how emotional a car buying decision gets.

super_call
Old 10-11-2006, 10:08 AM
Greedy Capitalist Pig

Originally Posted by super_call
Well - he didn't move a dime.

The search will continue. To re-iterate - I WAS going to pull the trigger and then your replies gave me food for thought. Amazing how emotional a car buying decision gets.

super_call
Never let car buying be emotional. It should be a business transaction. Determine what you want and what is a reasonable price to pay. Then pursue that until you locate it.

Used cars are tougher to price, given the depreciation. But, its not weird to say that 10% or more of the car's value disappears when you drive it off the lot. As such, a car that sold for at 44K should be sell-able at under 40K.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:42 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
One thing you "might" try is talking directly to the GM since it was theoretically his/her car and simply say that you are by passing the sales staff to get some questions answered first hand. Then tell him/her what you are willing to pay (and frankly with dealerships willing to cut into their holdback for RLs at this time it should be under the $39K mark). When he or she says something about "going through the sales force" just reply with "Do you want to sell 'your" old car or not? Here's my bottom line. If he/she says no then walk away - politely, thank them for their time, but still just walk away. If they want your money bad enough they will take what you offer

As aplato says its business not emotion. If you were going to buy tires for your car would you pay more just because they looked better than the set next to them? I know CL6 and others will have something to say to me about this, but let the sales staff sell the new toys. The GM is just as interested in getting the investment out that car as selling new ones so try for a 'less than they want' type of deal. The worst they are going to say is no and you already heard that from them anyway.

Just for rerference I paid less than they are asking for a new RL with back-up camera, trunk net, all season mats (floor and trunk), wheel locks and rear deck wing (well closer to a bump than a wing) But I'm a very stingy negotiator (professional habit) when it comes to spending my hard earned money. I take a lot of c%$p for the money I get and so if someone wants to get it from me they have to have a really good reason.

Just my
Old 10-13-2006, 04:59 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tried to edit my last post but ran out of the 5 minute time limit.

Basically the rest of it said, that you are the only one who can decide what your hard earned money is worth to you. If the price is acceptable then go for it, if not dig in your heels and tell the GM what you are willing to pay (but do try to talk to the GM rather than "through" sales staff since it IS used and was "their" car). We each have to decide how much we are willing to pay, relative to what we get out of what we purchase. Are you willing to spend $2.59 for a Peanut - Buster Parfait at the local DQ when you could travel a couple blocks to get it for less or pay the same amount tomorrow for a new and improved one from the local place, or is that amount what you are willing to pay for what you want and get it right now. Only YOU can answer that.

But you WILL like the RL
Old 10-13-2006, 05:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Benush
Tried to edit my last post but ran out of the 5 minute time limit.

Basically the rest of it said, that you are the only one who can decide what your hard earned money is worth to you. If the price is acceptable then go for it, if not dig in your heels and tell the GM what you are willing to pay (but do try to talk to the GM rather than "through" sales staff since it IS used and was "their" car). We each have to decide how much we are willing to pay, relative to what we get out of what we purchase. Are you willing to spend $2.59 for a Peanut - Buster Parfait at the local DQ when you could travel a couple blocks to get it for less or pay the same amount tomorrow for a new and improved one from the local place, or is that amount what you are willing to pay for what you want and get it right now. Only YOU can answer that.

But you WILL like the RL

I paid about that with camera, a-spec suspension installed and wheels with pirelli tires...9 or 10 miles on the car total (new).

Call some dealers around and find one you want. ....tell them you know about the various deals from Acura and take in internet prices, etc. They should bend.

JB