Re-upholstry?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 07:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
Re-upholstry?

To make a long story short, my wife got a bit trashed on Saturday night and threw up in the RL's passenger's seat. Luckily I have the all season mats, but the seat got kinda jacked up. I've cleaned as much as I could, however, I'm considering removing the center section and replacing it. Anyone do this before... oh.. and of course the icing on the cake was when we were walking back to the RL and noticing a nice scratch in the rear bumper from some idiot backing into it. Luckily, it isnt too bad and may just require a wet sand/buff.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:43 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
you can get from acura a replacement cover for the seat, and you can order just the lower seat section.
the seat is designed to be completely broken down so that it can allow access to the electronics in the seat, one of which is the sensor to detect child vs adult for the SRS.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Another reason to ban the wife from you car.

Seriously:

https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/throw-up-291497/
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/m3-vs-z06-117553/

Sounds like you may be better off getting it professionally cleaned.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks for the tip. This is what I am thinking of doing. I also tried some steam cleaning, and wasn't too happy with the results. I just hope I don't get raped on the section I want replaced from Acura. I wish I had a hookup.

Originally Posted by sotiri
you can get from acura a replacement cover for the seat, and you can order just the lower seat section.
the seat is designed to be completely broken down so that it can allow access to the electronics in the seat, one of which is the sensor to detect child vs adult for the SRS.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
It's just a thought, but dealers usually use a local upholstery shop to do such work, unless it is a straight replacement of the seat. Anyway, find out who it is from the service manager, and the independent shop may be able to do something without replacement of the entire seat section.

As I said, just a thought, based on repair experiences with my Acura Legend upholstery some years back.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol heres what u go grab a blue marker and a green marker and combine the two togethter on the seal along the edge of the drivers seat an complain of discoloring thats what i did because i accidenlty burned my seatwhen i dropped a cigaron it lol.. long story short i faked that big seat recall and discoloration to get a new seat try it maybe? lol by the way im not jewish lol
Old 08-05-2007, 10:31 PM
Senior Moderator

^
Old 08-05-2007, 10:43 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
I know you're not looking for a lecture, snyth, but I'm thinking if she barfed the passenger seat, then she must have been driving. (?) And anyone drunk enough to be hurling has NO business driving.

I think you're both lucky the seat is the only thing she messed up, and hopefully by trashing your nice car she has learned a valuable lesson.

(I hope I'm wrong and she somehow managed to hurl between her legs on the passenger seat while you handled designated driver duty. )

Old 08-05-2007, 10:48 PM
Senior Moderator

LOL @ your logic. What makes you think she was driving if she barfed in the passenger seat? If she was driving, then the passenger seat would have been fine as the barf would have been on me, not on the seat! hah..

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I know you're not looking for a lecture, snyth, but I'm thinking if she barfed the passenger seat, then she must have been driving. (?) And anyone drunk enough to be hurling has NO business driving.

I think you're both lucky the seat is the only thing she messed up, and hopefully by trashing your nice car she has learned a valuable lesson.

(I hope I'm wrong and she somehow managed to hurl between her legs on the passenger seat while you handled designated driver duty. )

Old 08-06-2007, 12:42 AM
Racer

ha
Old 08-06-2007, 01:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
I'm sure that someone here can post scans on how to remove the seat cushion, I doubt the smell is in the leather, but in the foam underneath. You could remove the leather, clean it up and just get the foam changed out by an upholstery shop. That would save some $$. just my
Old 08-06-2007, 08:07 AM
Senior Moderator

^ Let's just say I might need to replace the center seating area.... someone may have gone a bit too crazy with the steamer. Anyone have the part number or pdf on removal?
Old 08-06-2007, 09:08 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by synth19
LOL @ your logic. What makes you think she was driving if she barfed in the passenger seat? If she was driving, then the passenger seat would have been fine as the barf would have been on me, not on the seat! hah..
Hmmmm. Okay, so she was in the back seat, leaned up and power-barfed over the seat back? Ewww - I'm beginning to creep myself out.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:23 AM
Senior Moderator

^ Maybe I suck at explaining things, or perhaps you don't watch CSI... I was driving, wife was in the front passenger seat. Wife barfed mostly onto the floor, but some got on the seat she was sitting on (passenger seat/front). Thanks Mike for the advice and tips though!
Old 08-06-2007, 10:38 AM
Senior Moderator

hmmm.... I may check out my local upholstry shop and get their opinion... the middle portion from Acura costs 627.37! ouch!
Old 08-06-2007, 10:50 AM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having had a car where someone booted in it, which was well cleaned immediately, all I can say is this: clean it up, get it nice and shiny, put some air freshener inside, and trade the car ASAP.

Seriously.

That smell just NEVER goes away, no matter what you might try and do to it.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Pro

Sell it and keep an eye on what she drinks.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:05 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by synth19
^ Maybe I suck at explaining things, or perhaps you don't watch CSI... I was driving, wife was in the front passenger seat. Wife barfed mostly onto the floor, but some got on the seat she was sitting on (passenger seat/front). Thanks Mike for the advice and tips though!
Thanks for the clarification, Synth. My next guess was going to be that she was standing outside the car talking to you through the open passenger side window when the urge suddenly struck her to evacuate and she couldn't turn away fast enough.

Back when I was riding motorcycles a lot, my brother and I went to a bike rally. I was proudly riding my brand-new Honda Gold Wing. As we were parking, this guy comes stumbling toward us and he heaves on the saddlebag of my pristine new bike.

If he hadn't been too drunk to know what he was doing, I would have sent him to Heaven right then and there. As it was, I was able to find a water hose and between that and a half bottle of Windex, I was able to successfully remove the putridity before it etched my paint. People.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Good news, I talked to an upholstry place and they quoted me around $300-$350 installed. I trust their quality so I may just go with them. When I had my Acura CL, they replaced part of the leather and it looked completely stock/OEM. I'm not too concerned about the barf anymore, steaming it pretty much took care of the smell and mess, but it did leave my center section a bit rough in some sections, even after multiple leather treatment (that's the reason I want to replace it...not because of the barf). I should have been more conservative with the steamer... But either way, it was a tough call as far as my options....