My RL morphed into....

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 04:23 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My RL morphed into....

Some of you guys will remember me from this and other boards. Well, I sold my RL not too long ago, and got an E55.
It was a great car, but a couple of fuel pumps later, i wanted to go back to my favorite car so I got another one of these.... black this time... first black car I've had in 15 years. I hope I don't regret that! lol

Just an update to my RL buds. I still love the RL. I can't say I miss it, but I still admire them when I see them, and I did miss the quality vs. that of Merc.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Scott in Houston
Some of you guys will remember me from this and other boards. Well, I sold my RL not too long ago, and got an E55.
It was a great car, but a couple of fuel pumps later, i wanted to go back to my favorite car so I got another one of these.... black this time... first black car I've had in 15 years. I hope I don't regret that! lol

Just an update to my RL buds. I still love the RL. I can't say I miss it, but I still admire them when I see them, and I did miss the quality vs. that of Merc.
Didn't you have an M5 before the RL? I guess everything comes full circle.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:44 PM
Burning Brakes

dude i think u made a good decision... that m5 is sick and wayyyyyyyy better than the rl.. well although u did pay a higher price.. have fun =)
Old 10-25-2007, 04:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
What goes around comes back around.Very good choice and nice looking ride.You knew you missed that V10 507hp beast!The E60 M5 will definitely be my next ride.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:50 PM
Racer

Yeah, I missed the M5... and goinng full circle was worth it... although it was a waste of money to do that circle.

Part of the circle included an Elise to do some track driving, but I couldn't get the time to do that, so the RL/Elise turned into an E55 which turned into an M5... the M5 is much better than the E55 IMO.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:19 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Scott, you're hopeless ... and obviously have too much money for your own good.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Scott, sweet ride! I test drove a m6 2 weeks ago, when you hit the "M" button that car is a beast! Redlining at 8500 rpm is sick! I didn't care for the SMG very much and in automatic transmission mode the ride was very erratic. Most appalling was driving 20 miles (albeit hard driving) and using a quarter tank of gas. Still really nice ride overall and I loved the carbon-fiber roof and trim.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Scott, you're hopeless ... and obviously have too much money for your own good.

LOL... the first part is true... the 2nd part, I wish was true!
Old 10-25-2007, 11:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by surfer rick
Scott, sweet ride! I test drove a m6 2 weeks ago, when you hit the "M" button that car is a beast! Redlining at 8500 rpm is sick! I didn't care for the SMG very much and in automatic transmission mode the ride was very erratic. Most appalling was driving 20 miles (albeit hard driving) and using a quarter tank of gas. Still really nice ride overall and I loved the carbon-fiber roof and trim.
Yeah, the SMG is not an auto tranny. If you try and treat it like one, it is very unpleasant. Basically, you have to drive it exactly like a manual tranny but pretend there is a little troll doing your clutch for you, and very fast. I really like it, and the rev-matcing it does is amazingly cool.

Also, the range is pathetic... you're at the pump a lot. It gets bad mpg and has a small tank, so you're always filling up! That is really my only complaint about the car.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:25 PM
Intermediate

Yeah, the SMG is not an auto tranny. If you try and treat it like one, it is very unpleasant. Basically, you have to drive it exactly like a manual tranny but pretend there is a little troll doing your clutch for you, and very fast. I really like it, and the rev-matcing it does is amazingly cool.

Also, the range is pathetic... you're at the pump a lot. It gets bad mpg and has a small tank, so you're always filling up! That is really my only complaint about the car.
LOL @ troll

Those hard working trolls.

Lovely. I'm so jealous.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:30 PM
has been here awhile

First of all--I'm diggin the ride. Looks great. I hope you're enjoying it.

The SMG I'm curious about; so when you say you treat it like a manual, do you even let off the throttle at a shift point? Or can you keep your foot into it? How about starting off; do you gradually ease into the gas for smooth starts? Can you fool it and "kill it" like a manual, or will it simply adjust itself and be rough as heck? Maybe provide a description of your driving routine for us...

Do explain...
Old 10-25-2007, 11:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SPUDMTN
First of all--I'm diggin the ride. Looks great. I hope you're enjoying it.

The SMG I'm curious about; so when you say you treat it like a manual, do you even let off the throttle at a shift point? Or can you keep your foot into it? How about starting off; do you gradually ease into the gas for smooth starts? Can you fool it and "kill it" like a manual, or will it simply adjust itself and be rough as heck? Maybe provide a description of your driving routine for us...

Do explain...
Yes, you let off... just a little because it shifts so quickly. Basically, instead of lifting your whole foot, you just lift your foot enough to put pressure on the top of your shoe.

When you start out, you can feel it engaging the clutch just like you were doing it yourself. You dont' have to ease into it much though because it's so fast at engaging, but you don't really want to slam the pedal down either. (Although you can to really take off, it's just not something you want to do a lot)

You can't get it to kill the motor... it's not possible.

One other thing... the clutch action is much faster when it's changing gears and you're at higher RPMs as in aggressive driving. When you granny it, and change at very low rpms, it's much slower and almost feels as slow as a human changing gears in a normal manual tranny. When you're at 8000 RPMs, it SLAMS into gear much quicker than a human ever could.

Lastly, there are 6 levels of gear changing speeds... I never use anything lower than level 3. I use S3 when the car is cold, when it's warm, I use S5, and when I'm really pushing it or "racing" I use S6. S6 changes gears very fast and slams each gear in like a sharp shooter moving the rifle bolt as fast as possible.

To describe my routine, when the car is cool, I put the throttle down slowly to engage the clutch at low rpms and smoothly. Also, I let off the throttle more in between shifts to give it plenty of time to warm up the transmission and to make shifts. As it warms up, I go to a faster transmission speed and let the motor go to higher RPMs so it changes quickly. For passengers, they can definitely tell the difference. It goes from what feels like a normal manual tranny to a very quick gear change, but definitely no automatic.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:59 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Soccer_playa1579
dude i think u made a good decision... that m5 is sick and wayyyyyyyy better than the rl.. well although u did pay a higher price.. have fun =)
A much higher price....starts at $82k...I hope it's way better, but I bet it's not way more reliable.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Scott, if you ever miss your RL we can trade for a weekend. I would be willing to sacrifice for a local club member.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:56 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by lumpulus
A much higher price....starts at $82k...I hope it's way better, but I bet it's not way more reliable.

Right... I definitely don't expect it to be more reliable. Yes, it's more expensive... by a lot unfortunately, but man... is it worth it (to me) <-- key phrase.

Miner, I live in Katy now... just moved to 7 Meadows about 2 months ago! Let me think about that car swap....

Ok, I've thought about it and dont' think so, but I'd be happy to meet up and let you drive it w/ me in it.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
LOL, good to see you back, Scott!

at the M5. Sad at the loss of the E55....I wonder whether the fuel pumps were the reason the first owner parted with it?

You could use an RL as your daily driver and save the M5 for weekend drives?
Old 10-26-2007, 10:50 AM
East Coast Crew

Dude...the best feature is the heads up display. It displays your RPM and speed on your window =]
Old 10-26-2007, 02:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by neuronbob
LOL, good to see you back, Scott!

at the M5. Sad at the loss of the E55....I wonder whether the fuel pumps were the reason the first owner parted with it?

You could use an RL as your daily driver and save the M5 for weekend drives?
No.. the previous owner had no problems. Mercedes has all the service records. It first started while I owned it. Oh well... "stuff" happens.

RL as a daily.... hmmm...

visuelz, yes, the HUD rocks. It's one of the best features of the car. Not only can you see gear and RPM and speed on the windshield, you can see navigation directions as well.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:09 PM
Safety Car

Right... I definitely don't expect it to be more reliable. Yes, it's more expensive... by a lot unfortunately, but man... is it worth it (to me) <-- key phrase.

Miner, I live in Katy now... just moved to 7 Meadows about 2 months ago! Let me think about that car swap....

Ok, I've thought about it and dont' think so, but I'd be happy to meet up and let you drive it w/ me in it.
I am just north of you in Falcon Point. I'll look for you on Grand Parkway.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by miner
I am just north of you in Falcon Point. I'll look for you on Grand Parkway.

Cool... we eat at Hasta la Pasta a lot too.

What color is your RL?
Old 10-26-2007, 06:15 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On which window? You mean the windshield?

Originally Posted by visuelz
Dude...the best feature is the heads up display. It displays your RPM and speed on your window =]
Old 10-26-2007, 09:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by UW RL
On which window? You mean the windshield?
It looks similar to this when in regular mode:

This is the graphic you see when you put the tach, gear, & speed view up...

Old 10-26-2007, 10:03 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! The M5 is a beast!
Old 10-27-2007, 07:32 AM
Safety Car

Cool... we eat at Hasta la Pasta a lot too.

What color is your RL?
Try the Ravioli Fungi. My RL is Nighthawk Black Pearl and the TSX is Milano Red.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:50 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by miner
Try the Ravioli Fungi. My RL is Nighthawk Black Pearl and the TSX is Milano Red.

I'll keep an eye out for ya...

and yes, that Ravioli is the only thing I get and the main reason we go!
Old 10-27-2007, 07:57 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
It looks similar to this when in regular mode:

This is the graphic you see when you put the tach, gear, & speed view up...

Beautiful ride Scott. Congrats!

Don't you wish all back could be electrostatically charged to replel dust and lint? Oh well, detailing the car is my 'therapy'

I love the HUD. The LEGEND's Night Vision is HUD. I hope we get that in the RL in the future and and love the SHAWD display as a HUD.

I wonder how that projection lense will hold up in the sun? It is larger than I anticipated.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TampaRL
Beautiful ride Scott. Congrats!

Don't you wish all back could be electrostatically charged to replel dust and lint? Oh well, detailing the car is my 'therapy'

I love the HUD. The LEGEND's Night Vision is HUD. I hope we get that in the RL in the future and and love the SHAWD display as a HUD.

I wonder how that projection lense will hold up in the sun? It is larger than I anticipated.

Having the SHAWD up there would RULE. I used to try and watch it while tossing the car around, but you can't and when you turn the wheel, it blocks it.

It does great in the brightest sunlight. I'm really impressed with it. It's nice having nav directions up there, so that I can leave satellite and trip computer up on the dash screens.

As for electro-charging the black to repel dust... if you invent that, I'll invest HEAVILY, and we'll be rich! lol
Old 10-27-2007, 02:13 PM
10th Gear

showoff

RL owners will wave when you break down waiting for roadside service
Old 10-27-2007, 03:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Imolas54
showoff

RL owners will wave when you break down waiting for roadside service

HAHA

Please do, and if you can find it in your heart to bring me some water, I'd appreciate it.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:41 PM
Asian07RL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Scott,

Nice ride . Congrats
Old 10-27-2007, 06:06 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry, but i'll take 2 RL's instead of one 7 series
Old 10-27-2007, 11:57 PM
Racer