Looks like my RL is sold

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011 | 12:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by oo7spy
I have to agree with 037. I didn't sound like you REALLY wanted the ZDX anyway.
Ahh, but you are wrong, I really do like the ZDX and to be honest it might even be my front runner right now. I was talking with a dealership that wasn't that great, but had a good inventory on ZDX's. There is a really really good place just about an hour further north called Acura of Lynnwood and should I decide to buy a ZDX, then it will most likely be from them. By the way,they are also a Vendor on our site and I had my Aspec put on there, nothing but good things to say about them.
Old 06-28-2011 | 01:26 AM
Drifting

the ZDX is pretty rare... i hardly ever see them... I have maybe seen one 2-3 times on the road..that's it. I honestly think it's kind of a neat looking car. the interior is very cool looking. but it's impractical. if you are going to get a ZDX, you might as well get a 911.... they both have useless back seats.. and we all know which one is more fun.

i only sat in a ZDX for a few seconds.. i dind't really look at it THAT closely. how is the fit finish and materials in the ZDX? is it on par with an RL or more like a TL / MDX?

the RL stood out to me as being head and shoulders ABOVE the quality of anythign else Acura sold... i have a 2007 MDX.. nice car... but the RL is so much nicer, more luxurious, higher quality... you only need to sit in them and go for a spin around the block..it's painfully obvious....

where do you think the ZDX sits?
Old 06-28-2011 | 03:42 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

Originally Posted by plastikman
Well first off I am just sharing my experiences as I go and you are entitled to your opinion, everyone is, but I disagree. To me customer service is extremely important and when I get this from the sales people, well then I don't end up doing business with them. Pretty simple I think.
I believe you are one of those customers who LOVE customer service. You know what happens?.They get banged out! lol
Old 06-28-2011 | 01:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Blazing GT
I believe you are one of those customers who LOVE customer service. You know what happens?.They get banged out! lol
I do appreciate good customer service and I don’t see anything wrong with that. When there are issues in the sales department like I have seen at the last two places I've been to, it does make you wonder.
Old 06-28-2011 | 01:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 23109VC
the ZDX is pretty rare... i hardly ever see them... I have maybe seen one 2-3 times on the road..that's it. I honestly think it's kind of a neat looking car. the interior is very cool looking. but it's impractical. if you are going to get a ZDX, you might as well get a 911.... they both have useless back seats.. and we all know which one is more fun.

i only sat in a ZDX for a few seconds.. i dind't really look at it THAT closely. how is the fit finish and materials in the ZDX? is it on par with an RL or more like a TL / MDX?

the RL stood out to me as being head and shoulders ABOVE the quality of anythign else Acura sold... i have a 2007 MDX.. nice car... but the RL is so much nicer, more luxurious, higher quality... you only need to sit in them and go for a spin around the block..it's painfully obvious....

where do you think the ZDX sits?
So far I am in the same boat as you, I have seen the ZDX and I have sat in one and really love the interior. I have only seen a couple on the road and because of that I find them intriguing. As far as the car being impractical, it would be my weekend car, we have a Pilot for all the practical stuff. I am not saying that I will definitely buy the ZDX, but I for sure would like to test drive it, but I think I will have to venture out to Acura of Lynnwood to do that. Once I am able to do so, I will let you all know about my opinion of the over all vehicle.
Old 06-28-2011 | 01:42 PM
Pro

The last time at the dealership they gave me a ZDX as a loaner. Nice solid feel and acceleration wasn't bad. The instrument layout didn't have the luxury look to it IMO. I have to say that I never liked the design as it seems like a cross between an SUV and a station wagon. So I'm probably not a good source for a review but considering the cost of the ZDX, I think you could do much better with a different brand.

On your issue with the customer service, I agree 100%. Car dealers, restuarants, stores...etc, it takes just one bad experience for me and that business is usually written off. Treat customers with respect if you want their business.
Old 06-28-2011 | 10:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by robarsan

On your issue with the customer service, I agree 100%. Car dealers, restuarants, stores...etc, it takes just one bad experience for me and that business is usually written off. Treat customers with respect if you want their business.
I couldn't have said it any better
Old 06-29-2011 | 05:30 AM
Senior Moderator

I am one of those rare birds who likes the ZDX as well. Drives pretty well for a heavy crossover.
Old 07-01-2011 | 08:11 AM
Senior Moderator

My search for a new car will once again be delayed. Seems as though I will be on call again next week, two weeks in a row ! Damn career.
Old 07-01-2011 | 09:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
-John Lennon
Old 07-01-2011 | 10:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
-John Lennon
Ain't that the truth! ? !
Old 07-02-2011 | 10:39 PM
Senior Moderator

My search for a new car will once again be delayed. Seems as though I will be on call again next week, two weeks in a row ! Damn career.
I know exactly how you feel. If it weren't for the career, though, we couldn't afford these cars.
Old 07-04-2011 | 11:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I know exactly how you feel. If it weren't for the career, though, we couldn't afford these cars.
Speak for yourself, I am independently wealthy. No I'm not.
Old 07-05-2011 | 06:27 PM
Senior Moderator

I finally had time to get out and test drive the ZDX today. I test drove an Advantage model and I have to say I was actually extremely impressed on how well it handled, the way to it could take corners and of course the technology we have grown to love from Acura. It is by far not a very convenient car, the back seats are a good size once you get in, but getting in is whole different story. My wife is about 5'2 and had issues, imagine if someone was average sized, you could definitely get your clock cleaned if you aren't paying attention. The trunk space is everything bus spacious, that is a big downfall. The interior is sweet, I love the layout, the cooled seats ( only in the advantage package ) and driving it was a blast too. The salesman was very professional and pleasant to deal with and of course asked what he needed to do to close the deal, understandable, its his business. I explained to him that there are other cars I still want to look at and the fact that I wanted new, this was a used ZDX and had enough scratches on the outside and in, for me to notice. I am not saying yes, but I for sure am not saying no to this car, but I just want to test drive a few more vehicles before I start deciding what I want to buy.
Old 07-05-2011 | 06:39 PM
Safety Car

test drive the MDX, it should handle better than ZDX and be quicker too
Old 07-05-2011 | 06:40 PM
Safety Car

I believe the package is called Advance, not advantage.
Old 07-05-2011 | 07:26 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

ZDX handles and is faster than the MDX
Old 07-05-2011 | 08:30 PM
Senior Moderator

I test drove the MDX a few months back and the ZDX is definetely faster, no question.
Old 07-05-2011 | 08:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 037
I believe the package is called Advance, not advantage.
Yes, my auto correct must have changed it to advantage, maybe its a sign I should get a Hyundai, must be
Old 07-06-2011 | 05:03 AM
Safety Car

I test drove the MDX a few months back and the ZDX is definetely faster, no question.
for whatever reason I thought ZDX was heavier, checked and MDX has 150lb on it. I don't think you can feel that difference on the butt dyno...but maybe you can. Otherwise they are almost identical in hardware.
Old 07-10-2011 | 09:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 037
for whatever reason I thought ZDX was heavier, checked and MDX has 150lb on it. I don't think you can feel that difference on the butt dyno...but maybe you can. Otherwise they are almost identical in hardware.
Well the ZDX Advance I drove has IDS ( Integrated Dynamics System ) and let me tell you, it drove everything but like the MDX. They might be simular in size and weight, etc., but they surely do not drive or feel the same.
Old 07-12-2011 | 03:49 PM
Drifting

so did you like the ZDX?

what about a nice 2+2... it would be sporty/fun and have room for kids if/when you have them... like an M3. .heck the new sedan seats five i think?!? an IS-F is a hardcore 4 seater... or are those not what you're looking for?

ZDX is a nice car... can't go wrong with that if it fits your needs.
Old 07-13-2011 | 09:49 AM
Senior Moderator

so did you like the ZDX?

what about a nice 2+2... it would be sporty/fun and have room for kids if/when you have them... like an M3. .heck the new sedan seats five i think?!? an IS-F is a hardcore 4 seater... or are those not what you're looking for?

ZDX is a nice car... can't go wrong with that if it fits your needs.
I personally like the ZDX and its unique look. I like the way it handles and I love the interior, but my wife . . . . . not so much. I love the M3's look, but we do want a four door, so I really like the S4. The Audi dealer in my area had one 2011 S4 left which I test drove, the car is a lot of fun, it has around 330 horses, good power for a smaller car. I am hoping to get some time this weekend to visit a couple more dealers and test drive a few more cars, we shall see.
Old 07-13-2011 | 12:59 PM
Drifting

If I was deciding between an S4 and ZDX... that would be a no brainer.

what about a CPO RS4?? S4 on roids! or an IS-F? faster than the S4 and very luxurious too.

I"m curious - you had nice wheels/tires and aspec on your RL - how do yo think these cars handle vs your "upgraded" RL?

you said you like the M3 look but want a 4 door. They make a 4 door sedan M3! I don't think they are as common as the coupe, but you absolutely can get the new M3 in a sedan.

good luck.
Old 07-18-2011 | 04:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back, but I have been buried in work. I don't really think the choice between a ZDX and a S4 is a no brain-er, I do however know which way I am leaning. I believe there are a lot of good deals to be had out there if you are interested in a CPO vehicle, however I have posted in the past I am not interested in CPO. I'm very finicky when it comes to cars and I prefer new, its a personal preference.
Old 07-18-2011 | 05:05 PM
Senior Moderator

I"m curious - you had nice wheels/tires and aspec on your RL - how do yo think these cars handle vs your "upgraded" RL?
The RL with the Aspec suspension and wheels was a lot of fun, especially in the corners, but it was missing that extra power. The A6 is just plush, beautiful interior, sweet navigation and the controls are set in the right place. It however does feel a bit heavy and is missing the sporty suspension. I know that the suspension can be changed, but just by test driving, that is the main things I noticed. The S4 is very sporty, great power, love the way it looks, but the interior is so much smaller then what I am used to, but I could get past that. I guess if I were looking for the same thing I had in my RL, I should have kept it.
Old 07-18-2011 | 05:08 PM
Senior Moderator

you said you like the M3 look but want a 4 door. They make a 4 door sedan M3! I don't think they are as common as the coupe, but you absolutely can get the new M3 in a sedan.
Yeah, there are some four doors out there, but I have to be honest, I was completely turned off by their customer service and that is important to me. I guess my thinking is, after I purchase the car, I will still be seeing these people for service, so I can't get past their rudeness. If there is one thing I always loved about Acura, I always got great customer service, especially at Acura of Lynnwood.
Old 07-18-2011 | 05:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Today I test drove the Infinity M 37x and I have to say it feels much bigger once you are driving it. It has good power and I love the outlay of the Navi. The cooled seats are great ( something my RL was lacking ) and the leather is much better then in past years of Infinity models. However . . . . I do not like the gauges and the way the housing in molded, it just seems to be in your sight line when you are driving. Also the curves on the hood are distracting when you are driving. I guess it is because it is something new, something I am not used to, but I prefer not to have to get used to it. So as of today, my front runners are both Audi models, the S4 and the A6, with a test drive of the Lexus GS 350 AWD still to come.
Old 07-18-2011 | 09:07 PM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

A6 vs A7

The RL with the Aspec suspension and wheels was a lot of fun, especially in the corners, but it was missing that extra power. The A6 is just plush, beautiful interior, sweet navigation and the controls are set in the right place. It however does feel a bit heavy and is missing the sporty suspension. I know that the suspension can be changed, but just by test driving, that is the main things I noticed. The S4 is very sporty, great power, love the way it looks, but the interior is so much smaller then what I am used to, but I could get past that. I guess if I were looking for the same thing I had in my RL, I should have kept it.
I am very curious as to your thoughts on the driving characteristics differences between the A6 and A7. Do they really feel like different cars? Is the A6 too much of a Town Car??? The Audi dealer let me take out an A7 a few weeks ago for the afternoon and I loved it. I have not driven the A6 yet but the auto critics are saying it drives very different from the A7 which is surprising since they are very similar cars.
My dad too test drove the A7, loved it, but really put off by the fact that Audi was going to charge a premium to get a silver car with beige leather. He ended up ordering the new MB CLS550.
I am at 157k on my 2006 RL and still love it........but that A7 is damn sharp!

Last edited by CadiGTi; 07-18-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-18-2011 | 09:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CadiGTi
I am very curious as to your thoughts on the driving characteristics differences between the A6 and A7. Do they really feel like different cars? Is the A6 too much of a Town Car??? The Audi dealer let me take out an A7 a few weeks ago for the afternoon and I loved it. I have not driven the A6 yet but the auto critics are saying it drives very different from the A7 which is surprising since they are very similar cars.
My dad too test drove the A7, loved it, but really put off by the fact that Audi was going to charge a premium to get a silver car with beige leather. He ended up ordering the new MB CLS550.
I am at 157k on my 2006 RL and still love it........but that A7 is damn sharp!
I never drove the A7, only the A6 and the S4. The 2012 A6 has gone through a bit of a face lift this year and is pretty slick and I wouldn't compare it to a town car. I personally enjoyed driving the A6, but have not made a final decision yet.
Old 07-18-2011 | 09:25 PM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

I did see the A6 last week while I was in Colorado. I liked the looks of the car a lot...inside and out. Very aggressive and distinctive front end and elegant silhouette. I will have to get over to Audi and drive it.

I was blown away with how well the A7 drove.....and personally I think the car is one of the best looking cars out there. My father swore he would never own an Audi but loved the A7 after 1 test drive. I think it looks a lot better than the Benz. Interestingly Mercedes was much more aggressive on pricing and trade than Audi (he is trading a perfect Lexus LS430).

I have seen a few A7s running around metro DC and the car really does stand out...just hope their reliability has reached modern acceptable levels.

Good luck!
Old 07-18-2011 | 11:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

the zdx and mdx, same horsepower, same curbweight, same transmission, similar aerodynamics...therefore same acceleration. RDX in my opinion better handling than either because of 500lbs less weight, stiffer springs and struts.
Old 07-19-2011 | 10:15 AM
Senior Moderator

I think you need a new '11 RL. The upgraded spring rates, sway bar, wheels, cooled seats, dash you are used to, navi, ... all seem to be what you are looking for. Am I wrong?
Old 07-19-2011 | 10:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by pickler
the zdx and mdx, same horsepower, same curbweight, same transmission, similar aerodynamics...therefore same acceleration. RDX in my opinion better handling than either because of 500lbs less weight, stiffer springs and struts.
Have you driven the ZDX ? The MDX and ZDX do NOT drive the same, nor do they even feel anything alike. If you get the Advance package, then you would have the Integrated Dynamics System, something that is not available in the MDX and gives you a very sporty feel.
Old 07-19-2011 | 10:36 AM
Senior Moderator

I think you need a new '11 RL. The upgraded spring rates, sway bar, wheels, cooled seats, dash you are used to, navi, ... all seem to be what you are looking for. Am I wrong?
If Acura would have stuck to the normal run of things and came out with a new RL body style, then I am sure I would have been in the market for a new RL. As things are right now, I am not interested in buying a car that is very simular to the vehicle I just sold. I want something new, something different and the 11 RL is just to of the same old stuff.
Old 07-19-2011 | 10:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Very true. It just seems like you liked that same old stuff, but I understand.
Old 07-19-2011 | 11:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Very true. It just seems like you liked that same old stuff, but I understand.
I like quality and in there was a lot of that in my RL. I am looking for something that will provide me with similar features, but at the same time offer me something new. Easy, riiiiiiiiiiiiight ?
Old 08-01-2011 | 10:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Well it looks like my decision has been made, my next car is going to be . . . . . . . a 2012 Audi S4 Premium Plus Package. After test driving the cars that intersted me and my wife the most, the S4 stuck out and was my decision. It will not be delivered until October, until then I will rely on my wifes SUV and my company vehicle to gee back and forth to work. Once I take delivery, I will post pics in car talk.
Old 08-01-2011 | 11:26 AM
Safety Car

congrats on your decision, that should make life easier for awhile.

and now I gotta be my usual self and question your decision

333hp...same as the Genesis 3.8, fuel economy comparable if you ding a little for AWD, safety ratings, 3 stars on the drivers side, seriously?

http://www.cars.com/audi/s4/2011/safety-ratings/

I hope everything else is nothing but positives but that raises a bright red flag in my book. Don't crash and all is well!

Overall, I wish I had one
Old 08-01-2011 | 01:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Really... again? Hyundai Genesis ... ... jk dude;

S4... I dunno - Audi has issues with electronics but what car does not have "some" issues. Anyhow, design and performance is outstanding so I am sure it will be lots of fun driving it - congrats and good luck with S4 Audi!

Quick Reply: Looks like my RL is sold