JDM Headlight swap on 09 KB2, 2 issues, Need guidance

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 07:11 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb JDM Headlight swap on 09 KB2, 2 issues, Need guidance

Hello all, first off I'm new to the AcuraZine community but look forward to being an active member. Now to the reason for my first post! (BTW, I've searched for answers to both my issues and couldn't get something definitive, especially issue #1, so I apologize in advance if I am repeating a topic)

I recently swapped out my USDM headlights with a pair of JDMs. The JDMs I bought came completely pigtailed with all the lights, harnesses and equipment still in place. Therefore, I spliced in the turn signal's 7440 wiring harness into my vehicle, tested each light and everything worked. Even the HID low beam appeared to be more of a 8000k beam, which was fine by me. (This is where I may have made a mistake, since I tested everything without starting the engine but just turning on the headlights.)

After putting everything back together, I started my car to pull it into the garage and came across issue #1: I popped an AFS code! So I waited until night and drove around a bit and sure enough, no swivel in the beams (my old ones worked). So question #1: Is this simply bad luck and the control modules that swivel the low beams that came inside the JDMs are both shot? Or is it not simply a plug and play, and there needs to be some kind of reset for the AFS system? I'm really hoping I don't have to take my bumper off again, unmount the JDM headlights and try to swap out control modules from my USDM headlights.

Now onto issue #2: What I didn't notice on the first night drive mentioned above is the low beams appear to be aimed too low. The cut off line literally appears on the ground about 15ft in front of the bumper when viewed from the driver's seat. Are these easily adjustable? Or is it likely they are the same level as my old ones but I'm only noticing them more since the color is more blue/purple than I was used to and they don't blend in with my 6000k LED fog lights I was already running with my old headlights, and my old USDM headlight covers were very scratched and oxygenated?

Any help and/or guidance will be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-08-2022, 09:43 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
There's a whole automatic levelling system on the headlights - see this thread https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...aiming-686165/ for a bit more info. Sounds like yours isn't working with the new lights.

There's a reset function here https://acurazine.com/forums/second-.../#post15684448
Old 03-10-2022, 11:01 AM
3rd Gear

I appreciate the reply and info, and will attempt the reset (although step 11 is a bit confusing. Lol). I will advise if this resolved my issues.
Old 03-13-2022, 01:05 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by JTwice
I appreciate the reply and info, and will attempt the reset (although step 11 is a bit confusing. Lol). I will advise if this resolved my issues.
Ok, followed the reset steps and it appears to have fixed Issue #2! Thank you.

But I’m still having the flashing AFS error and no swivel in the headlights when turning. Is there a different type of reset for Issue #1? Or again, is it just bad luck with two broken control units that came with my JDMs? If that is believed to be the issue, anyone know how hard it is to swap out the control units from my USDMs?

Again, thanks in advance!