What would your ideal headlight setup be?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What would your ideal headlight setup be?

This loaded question is brought to you thanks to jdm headlights and people who drive on the wrong side of the road.

I now have installed and even aimed my new jdm headlights, but I'm not happy with the left-hand-side rise of the slope. I feel like I can't get it low enough to be at the level where the oem ones were without reducing visibility unacceptably.

lets review:

oem (usdm) lights setup:
_____/-----------

jdm lights setup:
--------\_______

So, with the jdm setup, if I raise them anymore than they are, they're right in incoming driver's eyes (and side/rear-view mirrors of those in front of me). I've got them at a tolerable level, but it could be better, so I pose this question:

I have both my OEM US projectors and my JDM projectors. Which combination would be best? I'm thinking of swapping out only the driver's side light for the USDM light, so both lights would have their 'raise' pointing toward the middle of the road, and in theory shine the most light in the middle of the road without blinding anyone on either side. ie:

-----/ŻŻŻŻŻ\-----

Does this make sense to others, or should I just swap both OEM USDM projectors into the jdm housings? Or am I just bat-shit crazy?

My biggest fear with the drivers side only swap is that the pattern would look like this if the raise in the beam is 'after' the middle of the car (ie: side of the road):

ŻŻŻŻ\--/ŻŻŻŻŻ
which would still be blinding oncoming drivers and not aiding center-of-road visibility.

And just to make 1 thing clear, you CAN remove the projectors WITHOUT BAKING THE LIGHTS. It isn't easy and I'll admit I was really prying at it, but I got them without mangling the housing. Proof?

Old 08-06-2006, 05:38 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just do both, if you don't do the passanger side, its still going to be higher on the left and the way the light spreads it'll probably still annoy oncoming drivers, plus you wont have a sharp cutoff
Old 08-06-2006, 06:00 PM
Is waiting in

one night after work i asked a police officer to check it out for me since i helped him out at work.. he said "from far there is a big fucking glare, but as you get closer it begins to look normal and then you notice that you have a nice car."
my question to him was if i would get a ticket for equipment malfunction and he said only if the officer was a dick.. which is a common thing in NY.. but other than that, i think it is fine and there has not been an oncoming driver to flash me once since i had them.. and it also doesnt bother drivers driving in front of you
Old 08-06-2006, 06:44 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,683 Likes on 2,509 Posts
just let them go. i have had no problem with mine and i have had them in for a year or more now. i dont even get flashed from people cause of them like i did back when i got my tsx. people now except the fact that they are headlights that are in higher end cars now and they have to deal with it.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:59 PM
Advanced

If anything I would go to the OEM, simply for safety reasons. If you dont live in an inner-city enviroment, go with the JDM(L) and UDSM Driver (R) like in your last drawing, that would be pretty sick and I bet the beam overlap if aimed correctly would negate any dull spots in the center

And I also concur with you on the "its possible to remove the projector and not break anything" I did it on my headlights when I bought a second set of housings to paint and install my Umnitza's in, it took a few minutes to figure the first projector out, but it was just a matter of getting one corner out, twisiting a certain way, and the popping another corner out, and voala!
Old 08-06-2006, 09:09 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by Agent11br
And I also concur with you on the "its possible to remove the projector and not break anything" I did it on my headlights when I bought a second set of housings to paint and install my Umnitza's in, it took a few minutes to figure the first projector out, but it was just a matter of getting one corner out, twisiting a certain way, and the popping another corner out, and voala!
04/05 or 06?
Old 08-06-2006, 09:12 PM
Advanced

I've got an '04 that they came out of, and they went into '04/'05 buckets (I dont know what year they were, I got them off ebay w/o projectors&ballasts for dirt cheap but with no scratches )