Hardwiring a V1

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 10:55 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hardwiring a V1

Has anyone found a good place to tap into for a hardwire installation of a V1? I have heard of using the power from the mirror, but didn't know if anyone had problems with it powering off when put in reverse?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
My post had been erased.

Edited: Wrong post.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:55 PM
Cruisin'

Is it safe to assume that there is access by removing the console? Is the entire console secured by pressure clips so you can remove by simply pulling down?

Lastly, has anyone found an easy way to put the remote display in the coin tray?
Old 03-05-2005, 05:07 PM
Cruisin'

Could I get those locations in the console again? Thanks
Old 03-17-2005, 01:22 PM
Jimbo

Just took delivery of a new RL today. Before I mess something up, what is the best way to hardwire a V1 Detector?

Thanks for any help!
Old 03-19-2005, 12:28 AM
Instructor

Hardwiring a V1

Here are the instructions to hard wire your V1 using the power from the mirror:

First remove a plastic cover above the rearview mirror, it's like a 2x2 inch square, then remove another small plastic cover at the top of the mirror mount - now you have the wire with the connector exposed. Detach the connector by pushing down on the tab above the connector and pulling out. Connect the green wire of the phone cord to the grey wire on the connector (middle wire) and the red wire of the phone cord to the white wire on the connector (my detector is a Valentine V1 that uses a regular phone cord). Yo do not have to molest the existing wires, just push the peeled green and red wires into the back of the connector. Secure the phone wire to the mirror wire with a small plastic tie. Run the detector (phone) wire under the trim to your chosen location. This is tricky because the roof lining will not allow you to simply push the wire under it, you first need to lift the corner of the trim next to the cover you just removed and slip the wire under that corner, then carefully push the rest of the wire with a flat screwdriver under the trim. You need a little patience but the results are great! You will not see the wire at all and it will not interfere with any existing covers. Plug in the connector and replace the two covers

A curious note: the power to your detector will go off when you put the car in reverse. I don't know why the power to the mirror is somehow connected to the transmission I hope this is helpful to you
Old 04-18-2005, 11:16 AM
Instructor

Stealth install? Any pics?

I've had a hardwired Valentine One in my E420 for over five years now. It's suction-cup mounted just under my rearview mirror. However, I find myself sheepishly turning it off (to hide the red lights) when I have a cop pulling up next to me, whether on the road, or at a stoplight. I've been considering (for $40) buying the Valentine remote display when I buy the RL, but I'm not sure if there is a decent place to install it. Has anyone else looked into that?

Randy

Old 04-18-2005, 07:04 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had a V1 for years (well, now it's a newer one but that's another story). I bought the remote and have kept it in the box. I have no qualms about having a radar detector on display when around LEO's. I tried the remote in a couple different places on my 'vette just to get a feel for it and decided I just didn't care for it and was happier just using the base unit. Now that I'm old and set in my ways I don't think I'll adapt the RL to use it, either. Unless you are in a radar-banned state/district cops really don't give a darn if you have one, they only care about how you drive.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1HOT NSX
A curious note: the power to your detector will go off when you put the car in reverse. I don't know why the power to the mirror is somehow connected to the transmission I hope this is helpful to you

I believe that when you shift to reverse, the power is cut to the mirror so that it cancels the auto-dimming feature, allowing you to see with full reflectivity, what's behind you. I'm assuming they decided to make it work in tandem with the rear-window shade, which disappears when you put it in reverse.

However, because of the V1's "start-up: or "self-test" noises, I would think having it turn-off and on each time you back-up would be quite annoying (especially when making a multi-point turn or parallel parking in the city). I think I'll try to run a live cord along the A pillar and upper windshield.

I'm trying to decide if I buy the remote display, where I could mount it. One place would be the far bottom corner of the front windshield, another possiblity would be between the gauge cluster and the LCD screen, and another choice would be to use the space in that tiny storage area labeled "Not An Ashtray." It could be mounted above the little door, or maybe even under the little doorway. I doubt I'd keep anything in there besides lose change anyway.

Additionally, has anyone looked into those Valentine One mounts made for the Corvette? They allow the detector to clip-on to the backside of your rearview mirror, rather than using suction cups on the windshield.

Randy
Old 04-20-2005, 11:41 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There was some discussion of the Corvette mount in this post . As I am pretty familiar with that setup I'm not so sure the mount, as is, is easily adaptable to the RL mirror. I'm waiting on delivery of my RL service manual so that I can better understand the manner in which the RL mirror attaches to the windshield and from that make some guesses about potential mod's which might make it work. From my experience with it in the 'vette it's certainly my preferred method over either suction cups or visor.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:57 PM
Racer

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ight=headlight