Old 11-03-2008, 12:48 PM
2007 Lexus GS 350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forbes.com: In Pictures: Ten Cars Americans Hate

http://www.forbes.com/2008/10/15/car...hisSpeed=15000
Old 11-03-2008, 01:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
They compare the RL to the ES350, which is Lexus' entry lux model. A better comparo would have been to the GS, which has been similarly hit in the sales department. Another reason why Forbes should stick to reporting on business and not on cars.

In any case, I still like my RL and the "vanilla" styling is largely fixed by adding better wheels.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
I don't usually read articles like that, since I generally believe they're created to fill space. "Americans Hate" translates, in this case, to "Americans don't buy much of", by the way.

There are usually just one or two elements or features that throw consumers off, as is the case with the Dodge Magnum, which is a wagon (American buyers gave up wagons for minivans a long time ago, then gave up minivans for SUVs); the Audi A3, which is a hatchback (consumers never cared much for them in the first place); and the Acura RL, which is just plain, vanilla-looking, says Stephanie Brinley, auto analyst at AutoPacific, Inc., an automotive marketing and product consulting firm

I noted that the Magnum and A3 are also generally accepted as "pretty bitchen cars" in the more scientific studies by RAND, JD Powers and Joe the Plumber (although Joe reported concerns that the Audi and Acura were elitist). All three cars certainly have low sales, but at least two of them have been auto mag award winners and cover photos...
Old 11-03-2008, 01:53 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
F*** forbes. They don't know what they missing out on.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I think the RL and A3 are awesome. Too bad so many others don't think so.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blazing GT
F*** forbes. They don't know what they missing out on.
Agreed.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:14 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
You know, with all the talk about bland styling, I very often get second glances from people when I park my car, especially when it's freshly washed and waxed.

Now keep in mind that the only mods I have are the tinted windows (which look awesome on CGP BTW), and the trunklid spoiler. I still have the fugly stock wheels.

As has been said before, pictures don't do the car justice, it looks much better in person. I can see anybody car shopping online easily dismissing this car. Not until you get a chance to see it up close do you appreciate the understated elegance.

Another point, and this was the case with me, I truly did not appreciate all this car had to offer until I lived with it for a while and began to understand how well the car integrates technology, comfort and yes performance.

After 2.5 years, well after the initial honeymoon, I still love this car.

Last edited by GoHawks; 11-03-2008 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:16 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i don't know about the A3, but the RL (when discounted) is one of the best values in owning a truely premium mid-size car.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:37 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by GoHawks
You know, with all the talk about bland styling, I very often get second glances from people when I park my car, especially when it's freshly washed and waxed.

After 2.5 years, well after the initial honeymoon, I still love this car.
Ditto Hawks. I get more comments with my RL than I did with my TL after 2.5 years of ownership. I guess the TL (as much as I love the 3rd Gen TL styling) is too commonplace. I think in person, the rarity of the RL is why it catches people's eye. And it is a car whose presence communicates more than photos can.

Just today I saw another severly underappreciated car that kept me scrutinizing it's tasteful styling....the VW Phaeton. I noticed several other people looking, and overheard one asking if it was an Audi (understandable).

I just finished washing and waxing the RL (less time to do now with DST!) and I still love the shapes, arful lines and the elegant flow. I still love to view it as much as they day I brought it home. Unlike every car I have owned, the RL has no awkward angles...none. I love the shape and lines from head on, rear, profile, 1/4 angles and from above. Perfectly proportioned and flowing. I still find the head on view amazing with the very wide low track, much more agressive and sporting than these in-your-face blunt mugs on cars of late.

I think Forbes has it wrong. As mentioned above by Ballinger, Americans do not HATE the RL, it just does not reach out and grab them. Only a few have taken time to appreciate this car's styling, engineering and value.

Last time I checked, connoisseur did not translate into mass market appeal. The RL may not be the mass market definition of a luxury flaship, but it is, more importantly MY definition of a luxury flagship.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:48 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by TampaRL
Ditto Hawks. I get more comments with my RL than I did with my TL after 2.5 years of ownership. I guess the TL (as much as I love the 3rd Gen TL styling) is too commonplace. I think in person, the rarity of the RL is why it catches people's eye. And it is a car whose presence communicates more than photos can.

Just today I saw another severly underappreciated car that kept me scrutinizing it's tasteful styling....the VW Phaeton. I noticed several other people looking, and overheard one asking if it was an Audi (understandable).

I just finished washing and waxing the RL (less time to do now with DST!) and I still love the shapes, arful lines and the elegant flow. I still love to view it as much as they day I brought it home. Unlike every car I have owned, the RL has no awkward angles...none. I love the shape and lines from head on, rear, profile, 1/4 angles and from above. Perfectly proportioned and flowing. I still find the head on view amazing with the very wide low track, much more agressive and sporting than these in-your-face blunt mugs on cars of late.

I think Forbes has it wrong. As mentioned above by Ballinger, Americans do not HATE the RL, it just does not reach out and grab them. Only a few have taken time to appreciate this car's styling, engineering and value.

Last time I checked, connoisseur did not translate into mass market appeal. The RL may not be the mass market definition of a luxury flaship, but it is, more importantly MY definition of a luxury flagship.
Excellently stated. +1
Old 11-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Yeah. What Tampa said.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Burning Brakes

If it came with a giant, Subie WRX rear wing, the RL wouldn't be so "vanilla"! WTF were they thinking?
Old 11-04-2008, 12:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by GoHawks
As has been said before, pictures don't do the car justice, it looks much better in person. I can see anybody car shopping online easily dismissing this car. Not until you get a chance to see it up close do you appreciate the understated elegance.
I agree. I was at the dealership this morning sitting right below an old ad with the 2G RL, 3G TL and, the latest MDX and the RL just didn't look great in the picture from the angle they were using. It looks much, much better in person.

I will admit that I don't hate the MMC as much as I did initially. I spent a few minutes checking out a white 09 RL in the showroom and, while I don't like the front, it doesn't look as bad in person as it does in photos. I kind of like the rear, but it's all moot since I won't be buying one anyway. Not to go off-topic, but the new TL did absolutely nothing for me. The exterior styling doesn't seem as bold in person, but it just seems like an RL-lite. I'm sure that means it will sell like hotcakes.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Instructor

I bought the car precisely because I especially liked the styling, OEM wheels and all.
A good friend, also car nut but only buys BMWs right, made a special call to me the other day while returning to Maine from Boston, "Just saw an 09 RL, man it is ugly. Your 06 is so much nicer".
...in the eyes of the beholder.
I agree with Shawn, too.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Cruisin'

I agree with the consensus that this isn't a matter of people "hating the car", they just aren't buying it in high numbers. When I recently replaced my BMW 5 series I did a pretty complete comparison between mid sized sport sedans. In the end, the RL was the best bang for the buck. The fact is the low sales of the model and the body change enabled me to get the car at a MASSIVE discount. In the end, the deal was too good to pass up. I'll admit, this car doesn't drive like a BMW. I miss the feel of a BMW, but I believe with a few mods (bigger wheels for example) I can address some of those issues. I got a fully loaded '09 RL with CMB/PAX. For me to get a similarly equipped BMW (a 528 Xi with options) I would have been faced with a $60k sticker on a car that wouldn't discount much. I also think my long term upkeep would have been much greater in the BMW. On top of that, the RL beat the BMW in safety ratings. Time will tell if this was the right move but for now, I have a lot more money in my pocket.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I say, "Whatever Forbes. You guys don't know squat"

Wasn't the RL in the Robb Report and it got a very favorable review compared to the 750iL and etc... I would at least give those guys more credibility than Forbes...
Old 11-05-2008, 01:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
Eric_Wolf...Got any pics of your '09 RL? I'm really leaning towards purchasing one!
Old 11-05-2008, 01:52 AM
Cruisin'

I think most people ignore the car - hate is a strong word. I think most people hated the Aztek. I was reading the Aztek article on Wikipedia the other day and laughed at the fact that:
"The Aztek scores highest or second highest in every APEAL component measure except exterior styling." Hmm.

Like some others on this board, I don't like where Acura took the '09 RL, and I think we will see that pan out in the sales numbers. (the poor economy may mask this) I was at the Acura dealer a couple of weeks ago looking at a MDX as a replacement for my totaled Infiniti FX and noted that I was the only customer at the dealership - it was a Saturday!

Actually it is kind of unknown car if you ask me. I took a co-worker to lunch in my RL, and he thought it was a TL. Seems only people that look a little deeper into the Acura brand even know what a RL is in the first place.

It is all ok by me - hate away. I own a car that I really enjoy and got it new for a great deal.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:30 AM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I think what pictures don't catch is the harmony and complexity of the sheetmetal contours and how precision the seams are. This can only be seen when the sun or lighting is just right to catch the subtleties.

The day I closed the deal on the RL, it was a sunny day and the RL was sitting in a lone parking space at the dealers, in direct sunlight. I was surprised at how much better the car looked in person. The car sold itself.

Forbes should stick to financial news.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:39 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by SlimTL
Eric_Wolf...Got any pics of your '09 RL? I'm really leaning towards purchasing one!
Here is a photo.... The emblem on the front of the car looks "flat" because it is the front to the "Collision Mitigation System" (A forward facing radar unit is behind it).

I'd suggest looking at some of the cars in the Photo Album section of the site. You will get an idea for how you can tweak the look of the car with wheels, tint, etc.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:40 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by eric_wolf
I agree with the consensus that this isn't a matter of people "hating the car", they just aren't buying it in high numbers. When I recently replaced my BMW 5 series I did a pretty complete comparison between mid sized sport sedans. In the end, the RL was the best bang for the buck. The fact is the low sales of the model and the body change enabled me to get the car at a MASSIVE discount. In the end, the deal was too good to pass up. I'll admit, this car doesn't drive like a BMW. I miss the feel of a BMW, but I believe with a few mods (bigger wheels for example) I can address some of those issues. I got a fully loaded '09 RL with CMB/PAX. For me to get a similarly equipped BMW (a 528 Xi with options) I would have been faced with a $60k sticker on a car that wouldn't discount much. I also think my long term upkeep would have been much greater in the BMW. On top of that, the RL beat the BMW in safety ratings. Time will tell if this was the right move but for now, I have a lot more money in my pocket.
Darn! I meant 2008, not 2009!! Sorry for the typo.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Robb Report Preview 2007 RL

Robb Report Basic Listing, 2007 RL

Robb Report, 2006 A-Spec RL
Old 11-05-2008, 05:22 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

RL with the package looks very sporty and not vanilla at all.

I think the article is another marketing campaign sponsored by corporate to get consumers to buy more before the holiday season hits.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
^
Old 11-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Senior Moderator

A-Spec
Old 11-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by larrynimmo
i don't know about the A3, but the RL (when discounted) is one of the best values in owning a truely premium mid-size car.
Very true.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:07 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
damn, why post that picture....makes me think twice about the mugen. haha. The aspec look so good on that color.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:37 PM
office monkey

who cares what forbes or anyone else thinks? I for one do not base my purchases, likes and general life on what the masses may think and there are only a very select few whom I trust enough that I'd let influence my choices.

I don't get why some get worked up over stuff like this since it doesn't make you or your purchase any less. Plus, for all we know the people writing these articles voted for Bush and think Sarah Palin is intelligent and they find Roseanne Barr to be sexy. Basically, you know nothing about them so again, wtf diff does it make?
Old 11-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Blazing GT
damn, why post that picture....makes me think twice about the mugen. haha. The aspec look so good on that color.
Good luck finding the A-Spec body kit, though. I can't find it on eBay any longer.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:14 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Rob L
Plus, for all we know the people writing these articles voted for Bush and think Sarah Palin is intelligent and they find Roseanne Barr to be sexy.