Fixing your AFS (Active Front Lighting System) Error for $0.02! (Save yourself $200)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 04:18 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just scored one on Ebay for $50

Just FYI for anyone who like me who is not mechanically inclined. I just bought this on Ebay for $50. The local stealership will charge me $150 to install so $200 total.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-2005-Acu...3b42c7&vxp=mtr
Old 05-21-2015, 01:00 PM
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by jonp2005RL
Just FYI for anyone who like me who is not mechanically inclined. I just bought this on Ebay for $50. The local stealership will charge me $150 to install so $200 total.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-2005-Acu...3b42c7&vxp=mtr

The problem is not with the AFS motor, its the stroke sensor located in the rear left wheel well.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
I looked up the specifics in the service manual to provide detail in another thread, so I figured I would draw up a quick description of what Matt did to fix his issue. To remove the stroke sensor entirely and mimic a level driving surface at the sensor, take two 2.2k ohm resistors, connect them, and connect the three wires as shown here (ignore the resistor colors):

Wire colors and terminal numbers were taken from the service manual.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:09 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Smile

I realize this is an old thread, but google still seems to put this near to top for searches for AFS related problems on Acura RLs.

I tried this, but the connector had been so badly corroded that it broke off inside the mating connector on the cable. Ugh! Looked on line for a used one, found one for $75, but it was long gone, more ugh! I happened to stumble on an MDX headlight level sensor for ~$100 on ebay, so I looked around some more.

I purchased a sensor by itself, no metal bracket/arm/etc. for $17.50. They said it was for a Lexus/Toyota Prius/etc. But looks identical to the one in my 2005 Acura RL. I should have it next week. Will report back with my findings.

I hope it works, would save me >$200. I simply cannot bring myself to pay $300 for a potentiometer. Yes, I'm cheap... Probably have no business buying an RL, too late now.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:37 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Well, it worked, sort of. The one I purchased off fleabay had the wrong resistance, about 3.5K vs the 4.5K on the Acura's. The carbon (or whatever the material is they used) on the old one on the cover, had worn off, so couldn't reuse it. So did what was suggested here with the two 2.2K resistors and it worked fine. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:57 AM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Well, after watching this thread for several years now, its now my turn to join the AFS club. On my '05 the AFS light would go on maybe 2-3 a year since I bought the car back in 2008. That infrequent, I could care less. Plus restarting the car almost always made the light go away and it didn't come back for months. Now, in the past couple weeks, it started turning on as soon as I started the car. I lifted up the rear, took out the AFS assembly figuring I would surely find the internals thoroughly rusted from years of north east winters, etc. Nope. Opened it up. Very nearly perfectly clean and shiny. The three gold springs were in perfect condition. The gold contacts under didn't have a spot on them. There was some carbon on the surface contacts, but minor. The connectors were equally clean and no corrosion. I cleaned it up, as much as it even needed, put it back together and plugged it back in. The light is still going on.

Is there a fuse somewhere for just the AFS? Looked through the manuals, etc. didn't see one. Maybe I missed it.
I did order some resistors as noted above, as a backup plan. So many other cars use nearly the same sensor. Too bad their not the exact same rating

Here is a pic of the assembly right after I pulled it apart the first time. The only suspect portion I can see is maybe one of the three black spring contacts has worn down too much?

Image of removed AFS sensor assembly from 05 RL with 166K mile at the time of removal.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:33 PM
Instructor

Quick addition photo of the cleaned up sensor.
After cleaning it, I'm unsure if that one contact pad (far right pad) is actually a problem. Hard to tell from the surface anyway. Some dark dust/carbon material did come off easily with an alcohol q-tip.
Unfortunately I don't have the ability to measure it's conductive ability.

Cleaned sensor from 05 RL with 166K miles. Possible suspect contact pad (pad on the right side).
Old 08-09-2017, 11:46 AM
Instructor

So....I had ordered a new sensor unit from Amazon for $28.00. Says it was for Toyota, Lexus, etc. Didn't list Acura and based on earlier posts I thought it likely to not be the same, but after installing, the AFS error has now gone away. I opened it and internally it looks exactly the same.

This is the unit I bought from Amazon: https://goo.gl/bsZ6Bx

Fingers crossed it holds up! The lights do the quick "swivel right then back to left" self-test when I power them on now. Worst case I also bought a few 2.2K ohm resistors.
The following users liked this post:
projektvertx (08-09-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 12:43 PM
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by swake457
So....I had ordered a new sensor unit from Amazon for $28.00. Says it was for Toyota, Lexus, etc. Didn't list Acura and based on earlier posts I thought it likely to not be the same, but after installing, the AFS error has now gone away. I opened it and internally it looks exactly the same.

This is the unit I bought from Amazon: https://goo.gl/bsZ6Bx

Fingers crossed it holds up! The lights do the quick "swivel right then back to left" self-test when I power them on now. Worst case I also bought a few 2.2K ohm resistors.
Has this part lasted for you? The review on amazon says failed after 4 months. I have had to redo my hack from this post about once a year due to the resistors eventually going bad.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:03 PM
Instructor

Question

Hey, sorry for the delayed reply. I blew my elbow out and had to have it bolted back together a couple days after you posted your reply
This part has "sort of" lasted. I'm actually the guy that wrote that review :-) Since I first posted it, the light has now only intermittently come on. Really strange. I do think the sensor is failing, but not totally failed. I have no doubt the voltage doesn't exactly match what would be otherwise expected from a true acura sensor. I know the voltage was posted in another thread and these replacements are lower than an Acura sensor. I did buy a second replacement from another seller, but until my arm is all healed up, I can't change it out myself. I'll probably just wait until warmer weather.

I have a theory though. The design of the sensor is such that it's tied to the rear suspension, mounted on a swing arm of sorts that flexes as the rear of the car adjusts up and down. The sensor internally has a semi circular range of motion. My RL is at almost 175k miles and on original rear shocks. It goes without saying the ride from the rear could be improved. The shocks don't adjust to road bumps, etc well at all. I do plan to replace the rear shocks in the spring. I'm wondering if the rear "sag" is just enough at times to trip the sensor in to thinking it's failed. Not by fault of the sensor, but by simple age of the rear shocks causing the sensor to rotate out of it's range of motion. It's a long shot, and just a theory...
Old 01-25-2018, 10:40 PM
9th Gear

That's very likely Swake. Also, when the shocks go bad, they will leak and possibly the oil can get into that sensor. I also went with the Toyota sensor, but that didn't work. Need to replace shocks though, so will try the resistor or get another sensor. Good luck with the elbow.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:24 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Where is everyone getting the 2.2k resistors? I see them online for 17 cents each but shipping is 7-10$.....anywhere locally to just pick them up?
Old 04-29-2018, 11:26 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Re. Acura RL AFS / active front lighting system fix - Matt W, big thanks for sharing this. I'll look at the YouTube vid, but your description of the fix sounds self explanatory.

Swake457, my sensor from my '05, also at 160k miles, is identically worn. I tried cleaning it up, but it didn't work. I'll solder in a couple of resistors and report back.

GASKICKER, Radio Shack or a little local electronics store should have them.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:16 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I havent fixed mine yet; Ive had an interesting thing happen though....or at least I thought it was interesting. Ill explain:
Ive had the car for 100k miles and havent seen much of the AFS error except intermittently; until this spring when it has decided to stay with no end in sight. A couple weeks ago, after the error had been on for a few days, we had a really good rain storm and to my surprise the error went away after a while driving in this rain storm. About a week after the storm the light came back on, so I thought I would dowse the sensor with water (a few gallons from the hose) after the light had been on for a week and sure enough....soaking it with the garden hose will make the error go away for an entire day. Maybe more water will net more time without an error.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:40 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by GASKICKER
I havent fixed mine yet; Ive had an interesting thing happen though....or at least I thought it was interesting. Ill explain:
Ive had the car for 100k miles and havent seen much of the AFS error except intermittently; until this spring when it has decided to stay with no end in sight. A couple weeks ago, after the error had been on for a few days, we had a really good rain storm and to my surprise the error went away after a while driving in this rain storm. About a week after the storm the light came back on, so I thought I would dowse the sensor with water (a few gallons from the hose) after the light had been on for a week and sure enough....soaking it with the garden hose will make the error go away for an entire day. Maybe more water will net more time without an error.
Your connectors must be worn out. Water is a good conductor and completes the circuit. Open the unit and solder the areas that are worn out.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:55 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Fixed it

I went to Acura to have my recall on my airbag fixed and asked about the AFS light flashing. Same Story, - No fuse and I was quoted 900$ plus. I said no thanks.
I got home yesterday and was determined to get the AFS light from blinking. I wasn't able to take my rear tire off so I worked around it and got the sensor off. I opened it up and it looked clean except for one spring. One gold spring was corroded. I removed it and cleaned out the pocket and replaced it with a pen spring. I put it all back together, prayed, and started the acura RL. No more flashing light and fixed it with a 2cent spring.

So proud of myself!!
Old 06-18-2019, 09:24 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fix

Its been 7 days. I think I also fixed my AFS light. I first cleaned the device and put it back as it was. That lasted about 4 days. 2nd Attempt I got down and dirty. Pulled the Old multi meter. My 1 and 3 terminals read 4K Ohms. But my 1 2 and 2 3 did not read anything. It actually should read between 2 and 3 2.2K. But open between 1 and 2. Anyways, a faulty contact was being made so I expanded the 3 springs by puling on then from boths ends. I used flat head screw driver and placed in between coils until they all got about 20% taller. Make sure all are about the same height!!!

TLD
Fixed by cleaning device and expanding all springs 20%. Make sure springs are the same height.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:07 AM
Jut
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone know what the springs are actually made of? Somebody somewhere must sell identical springs.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:22 PM
Fk no!TheyldstroyEvrthing

Received 226 Likes on 191 Posts
Well, they're not just springs. they're coils i think, and if i recall correctly, they are 2ohms resistance.

Search for more threads on here about this, there's a Doorman replacement you can get for 20 bucks.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:09 AM
Jut
Cruisin'

Thanks for the reply, I think a $20 replacement is definitely better than spending hours trying to fix this one. Now if I can just figure out what one it is.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:53 AM

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...ura-rl-964066/
Old 07-20-2019, 06:39 PM
1st Gear

Hey i was wondering when ur afs light was on did anything work at all?? A/c signal lights ect? Mines cane on today and nothing works in my car.. how can i fix this HeLP anybody i have a Acura RL 05 thanks
Old 07-21-2019, 10:13 AM
Jut
Cruisin'

When mine came on nothing really changed, just the fact that the light was on. I haven't done anything to fix it yet because after turning off the car it goes away. Hopefully you get yours straightened out.
Old 08-04-2019, 02:09 PM
1st Gear

Please help!!!

So i’m new here and I just purchased one (Acura RL 2005) I have been having the same problem but i’m not too familiar with electricity and voltage like that so can someone please refer me to a video or something all the pictures listed are outdated and I hate having dash lights. PLEASE ANYONE
Old 08-04-2019, 05:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just replaced another Dorman stroke sensor with one from Amazon that costs $25. The last one lasted about a month flawless until I was traveling rather fast along a road that had several large long dips. I am suspecting the stroke sensor traveled beyond the range when the suspension almost bottomed out breaking beyond the “stop” of the arm rotation. AFS light went on and was on with each restart. New sensor this Friday and 100 miles+ no light. If it goes again, then I’m trying the resistor hack. I am guessing the Toyota/Lexus stroke sensor bought as aftermarket has less of a travel distance than OEM Acura.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
Originally Posted by DagMDX2011
I just replaced another Dorman stroke sensor with one from Amazon that costs $25. The last one lasted about a month flawless until I was traveling rather fast along a road that had several large long dips. I am suspecting the stroke sensor traveled beyond the range when the suspension almost bottomed out breaking beyond the “stop” of the arm rotation. AFS light went on and was on with each restart. New sensor this Friday and 100 miles+ no light. If it goes again, then I’m trying the resistor hack. I am guessing the Toyota/Lexus stroke sensor bought as aftermarket has less of a travel distance than OEM Acura.
I suspect this is what damaged my original one to begin with.

I also found that the rubber seal on the OEM unit was pretty deteriorated too.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:27 PM

A theory:

You guys mentioned going through dips on the road.... I sensor installs on a metal bracket, that is kinda flexible... i suppose it's to level the lights too. If going thru dips, and age, makes that bracket less resistent and more flexible, could it trigger the light coz its no longer accurate or something? and so, even if the sensor is not shot?
Old 08-06-2019, 08:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
That bracket is pretty robust, after inspecting the old unit its clear a seal failed which is in line with the repairs listed in this thread.

I also noticed the one of the alignment pins (at about 7 o clock on the pic) was broken, that could also mean a hard impact moved it.

That said, for $30, its not worth my time to open one up.

Last edited by HEAVY_RL; 08-06-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:17 PM
BJQ
1st Gear

Don't know if your still on here Matt. Can you reload images as they are no longer available.
I don't have the equipment, ohm reader, solderer etc., but i know who does.
Old 09-15-2021, 01:45 PM
1st Gear

OEM Part Number??

Does anyone know the Acura part number for this sensor? I have done the resistor hack and it worked but only for a few months. Happy to spend 100 bucks for an Acura part if it will fix it for the next 100k, thanks all!