Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 12:16 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended Warranty

I did not purchase the extended warranty at the time of buying my RL, thinking that i was not going to keep this for long (because of low sales of this car, i thought there were issues with it).. however, like everyone else here, i have grown too darn dependent on this piece of art to get rid of it in next 2 or so years... so the question is, am i still eligible to purchase extended warranty (current mileage is 32K)? if so, can i just walk into my dealership, speak with their warranty division and get going? How much would it normally cost to get it?

Your experiences, if shared, would be highly beneficial for me :-)
Old 07-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I did this with my 3G TL. I waited until I had 48k on my car before ordering the extended warranty. At that point, you can buy a "used car" extended warranty from Acura (the only one I advise as it covers the most) that adds a given amount to your current mileage. For example, I bought a 50k/x year (forget how many) plan for my TL; the plan would have ended my warranty coverage at 98k miles.

As it turns out, I traded for the RL after I had used only 6k miles on the warranty, and so I got a prorated refund from Acura and applied it to the "new car" (you can get this for only up to 6k miles on a new car) extended warranty for my RL. Not a lot of people know you can get a prorated warranty refund, so if you trade or sell your RL not having used up the mileage, you can get some money back.

I would NOT walk into your dealer to get this unless they are willing to pricematch with an online place. Further, your dealer will try to hook you up with a crappy third-party warranty that won't cover as much or will have other restrictions. If you do this, READ THE FINE PRINT. Hondacuraworld.com, a site vendor, has low prices on such warranties and that's where I got mine from. In addition, there are other sites that are cited in the other long thread on extended warranties around here that are a bit cheaper.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Call Tim at Ray Laks (888) 729-5257. He'll tell you what warranty to buy, when to get it and will offer it at the best price you will find (unless you're in Florida, then you have to buy it from a Florida dealer). I'm going to get one for my MDX but Tim told me to pretty much wait until the last minute.

LL
Old 07-07-2007, 07:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Just so you know, Tim at Ray Laks IS hondacuraworld. HTH
Old 07-08-2007, 05:11 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He has a web site in which you can see the price http://www.hondacuraworld.com/
Old 07-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Instructor

LL, Neuron, and backfire, thanks to all of you.. i plan on speaking with Tim over the coming week..
Old 07-09-2007, 08:49 PM
Instructor

so i checked on hondaacuraworld website... the option to buy extended warranty for RL only appears for RL's 2006 or newer. Extended Warranty for '05 RL does not seem to be listed.. am i missing something?
Old 07-09-2007, 09:29 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by calvin_hobbes
LL, Neuron, and backfire, thanks to all of you.. i plan on speaking with Tim over the coming week..

I can't get the info on the web site...i might be interested in either an 8 year 100k or a 7 year 70k plan..

I don't put a lot of miles on my cars per year.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by calvin_hobbes
so i checked on hondaacuraworld website... the option to buy extended warranty for RL only appears for RL's 2006 or newer. Extended Warranty for '05 RL does not seem to be listed.. am i missing something?
I just went over to their site. None of the warranty products is online currently as they are reconfiguring. You may just want to call Tim. The warranties ARE available for your 2005.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:33 AM
Instructor

thanks neuron... i still haven't made that call into Tim... procastrinating
Old 08-01-2007, 09:11 AM
Instructor

Hey guys,

I finally purchased a 2005 TL 6spd/Nav (Wife is going to get an RL now) and was concerned about an extended warranty. I purchased the car at a Honda dealer and have been checking hondaacuraworld and curryacura. A salseman at Metro Acura in Philly said that I would have to go to/through a dealer to get an extended warranty as the online ones are not true warranties. Is this true or is he trying to make a buck? He also mentioned that for my car's mileage (36,000) a 7/120k would be about $1500 from Fidelity and the Acura warranty would be about $300 more.

I'm a little confused. I need to get a warranty as I have about 14,000 miles left on the factory, however, I don't want to pay more than necessary.

Also, is the Hondacare warranty the same as the Acuracare warranty?
Old 08-01-2007, 09:13 AM
Instructor

Forgot to mention that the Metro Finance guy said that both Fidelity and Acura warranties are the same. Anyone heard of Fidelity?
Old 08-01-2007, 10:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by allykahn
Forgot to mention that the Metro Finance guy said that both Fidelity and Acura warranties are the same. Anyone heard of Fidelity?
They may have the same "coverage" but be careful of any aftermarket warranty. While there are some good ones, there are plenty of bad ones as well. Many require pre-authorization or for you to pay the bill and apply for reimbursement.

LL
Old 08-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Intermediate

No they are not... only acura is backed by the manufacturer... plus most aftermarket warranty will use non-oem parts (it says in the contract)...

plus you need to pre-authorize any repair... if you don't they don't have to pay...

with acura care, you drive up to dealer and they take care of everything... now has is that the same?

typical dealer lies... they make more money from aftermarket .... my finance guy actually lied to me and made me sign an aftermarket warranty after I insisted on acura care and he told me it was acura care....

got home and called the company and they said they're not acura care... so I cancelled the warranty purchase...

and yes if you go online, you don't (just) get a true warranty.... you get the REAL DEAL... true warranty and a great price..

unfortunately they will always lie as only 1 out of 10 buyers even read their contracts until 4 years from now when they need it...
Old 08-01-2007, 09:15 PM
Intermediate

Fidelity is most certainly not the same. They are cheaper and more hassle. You might also want to look up their better business bureau rating.

The do have one "benefit" over acuracare which is that you can get a refund if you did not use it at the expiration of the service contract. Unfortunately there are so many conditions and requirements that it would be exceedingly difficult to make use of this feature (you need to still own your car at the end of the period, not used the warranty, and make it back to the original dealer within 30 days and 100 miles of reaching the end of the contract - do all this and you get your money back minus a service fee - and no interest).

For acuracare, I found the best price at http://www.bernardiwarranty.com - They haven't been perfect as far as communications go, but they get the job done, and once you have the service contract with acuracare, you don't have to deal with the dealer that sold you the contract, only acura.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by VPescado
The do have one "benefit" over acuracare which is that you can get a refund if you did not use it at the expiration of the service contract.
You can get a refund from Acura for the portion of the contract you did not use. I got a refund on the unused portion of my TL's extended warranty and applied it toward an extended warranty for my RL. It requires a little paperwork and some phone calls to the dealer you purchased the warranty from (in my case, Tim at Hondacuraworld), then a few weeks later, you get a check from American Honda.

HTH!
Old 08-02-2007, 01:25 AM
Intermediate

For acuracare, I found the best price at http://www.bernardiwarranty.com - They haven't been perfect as far as communications go, but they get the job done, and once you have the service contract with acuracare, you don't have to deal with the dealer that sold you the contract, only acura.
thanks for the info... i was about to buy somewhere else and this is a lot cheaper... anybody else have bought from them?

now my confusion is which one to buy... obviously all of us can afford the 96/120K but not all of us need it...

right now i put 10K a year on my cars... but I don't know if job changes or housing changes will increase my short commute...

what do you guys think and which ones did you get?

I'm actually starting a new thread on this question... so I don't hijack this thread...
Old 08-03-2007, 12:11 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by neuronbob
You can get a refund from Acura for the portion of the contract you did not use. I got a refund on the unused portion of my TL's extended warranty and applied it toward an extended warranty for my RL. It requires a little paperwork and some phone calls to the dealer you purchased the warranty from (in my case, Tim at Hondacuraworld), then a few weeks later, you get a check from American Honda.

HTH!
The Fidelity Warranty refund is an "improvement" over Acura's (provided you manage to tiptoe through all the conditions) in that you get a full refund rather than a pro-rate. And because the Acuracare contract doesn't really have any effect before your original warranty expires, they are cheating you on the pro-rate as the pro-rate treats the original warranty period as part of the service contract duration.

That said, I expect it is extremely rare for someoneto manage to get the full refund from Fidelity.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:11 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by neuronbob

HTH!
The Fidelity Warranty refund is an "improvement" over Acura's (provided you manage to tiptoe through all the conditions) in that you get a full refund rather than a pro-rate. And because the Acuracare contract doesn't really have any effect before your original warranty expires, they are cheating you on the pro-rate as the pro-rate treats the original warranty period as part of the service contract duration.

That said, I expect it is extremely rare for someone to manage to get the full refund from Fidelity.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the link! I was going to order through Ray Laks (hondacuraworld.com) but Bernardi is $100 bucks less for the same warranty. How does the paperwork process go? You mentioned that communications were only so-so. Does Bernardi have to send anything to you or does it just take them a little time to get the info over to Acura corporate?
Old 08-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2002AcuraTL
Thanks for the link! I was going to order through Ray Laks (hondacuraworld.com) but Bernardi is $100 bucks less for the same warranty. How does the paperwork process go? You mentioned that communications were only so-so. Does Bernardi have to send anything to you or does it just take them a little time to get the info over to Acura corporate?
The big hassle for me was changing my mind about the terms of my contract after hitting the "purchase" button on the website. I called them before they processed it, but they weren't really snappy about listening to the phone messages, and ultimately had to cancel my original contract and process a replacement with the correct terms.

To be fair, it was partially my fault for not really figuring out what made sense for me before ordering, but the phone tag was a tiny bit frustrating. If you are sure what you want, I expect you will have zero problems. I also have to say that the lady I worked with at the dealership to fix things (Juliana) was really pleasant to deal with.

The paperwork was non-existent. You fill out the web order form, and in a week or so they mail you (via US mail) a thank you note with a print out that shows honda acknowledging/accepting the contract. Then after another week or so you get the contract itself from honda/acura.