Does anyone use their parking brake?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 04:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Does anyone use their parking brake?

I absolutely despise footwell-placed parking brake pedals and loved having the handbrake next to me in my 3G TL. As a result, I have not been using the parking brake except on hills--I just can't make myself use it. I understand the ergonomic reasons for placing the parking brake in the footwell, but I learned to drive with a manual and I just feel better with a handbrake. It's one of a very few, miniscule issues I have with my RL.

Do you guys use yours, and is there a good reason for using it? I'm just curious.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with you Bob. The handbrake should not be located in that spot. It's too suv or minivanish imho. I never use it either except when I'm parked on a hill, which is rare.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I always use the parking brake to protect the transmission pawl. If you do it automatically, you do not have to worry about whether you are on a hill, however slight. It becomes like using a seatbelt, almost automatic.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I use it even when I park in my garage. All of the cars in our stable have a foot brake, though, so I'm pretty well trained.

I feel that a handbrake seems a little out of place in a luxury-minded car with an automatic transmission. A manual tranny should always have a handbrake.

Rob144
Old 06-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Rarely...only if I'm parked on a hill.

LL
Old 06-12-2007, 07:05 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Always use mine. Mostly because I do it out of habbit (like clicking my seatbelt). My old Lexus had a foot break... but a very ergonomically placed hand-held release. My Volvo had a hand break. My wife's Sienna and the RL now both have the same foot break. I do notice that I don't usually press it down hard enough to have it prevent some minor wheel roll and transmission grab.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
doesn't the owner manual say that we should always put the parking brake on before we shift it to "park"? to protect the transmission or something? i always do that..
Old 06-12-2007, 07:14 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i always lock in the parking brakes. however, i've had one or two occasions where i forgot to release it and went about my merry way... not a pleasant experience i must say..
Old 06-13-2007, 12:00 AM
Advanced

I for one like the placement of the parking brake pedal. Just like the post above, it's very unsightly for a luxury car to have that handle in the middle of the shifter area, another place where dust will accumulate and difficult to clean. With the RL having a pedal just made it easier to put it on and take it off, not a lot of extra movement. I'm not lazy or anything but that's how a luxury car should be, pampering you all the time you're inside.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:07 AM
10th Gear

I live on a hill and still don't use it.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:12 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
I use it with the slightest incline.

... and yes I too prefer a handbrake.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:46 AM
Instructor

There's a parking brake?

Nope. Don't use mine. Never have to park on hills. Also prefer a handbrake.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:00 AM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I absolutely despise footwell-placed parking brake pedals and loved having the handbrake next to me in my 3G TL. As a result, I have not been using the parking brake except on hills--I just can't make myself use it. I understand the ergonomic reasons for placing the parking brake in the footwell, but I learned to drive with a manual and I just feel better with a handbrake. It's one of a very few, miniscule issues I have with my RL.

Do you guys use yours, and is there a good reason for using it? I'm just curious.
The hand brake is one of the things in my TL that I don't like. I'm used to it being in the footwell lik ein my dad's old g35coupe. I think it looks really ugly when it's up too. It looks kinda cheap. It was only used twice and that was the day that I picked it up from the dealership. It's never been used since.
We never used the parking break on the G35 or my dad's old avalanche either.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:01 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I used mine all the time growing up in the North East around hills. I'm now living in an area that is as flat as a ping pong table. I never use it so it's a non-issue for me.

To answer your implied question; If I had a manual Trans, I'd prefer a handbrake and would sacrifice loosing the storage space up top. However, I think it's a wise move to set it as a foot pedal on the RL.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:23 AM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Always use your parking brake. As stated above, it protects the transmission pawl. Although the pawl locks the transmission it is not meant to hold the cars weight in anything but a completely flat surface.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Senior Moderator

What is a pawl?

I guess I'll try to use it more, but really don't like to. Half the time I forget it until I've shifted the tranny to "D". The handbrake provides a visual reminder to use the parking brake and in my TL I used it every time I parked.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:07 AM
'06 RL

Originally Posted by RL06tech
Always use your parking brake. As stated above, it protects the transmission pawl. Although the pawl locks the transmission it is not meant to hold the cars weight in anything but a completely flat surface.
OTOH, on every non-manual transmission car I've ever had or known of anyone having over the past 30 years... I've never had to replace a transmission pawl, nor have I heard of anyone having to do so.

I park on an inclined driveway every day, and I never use the parking brake. Pointless, I think, on an automatic car. Yeah, OK, the parking pawl (and that's what it's called) might have some additional wear on it over the years, but I think unless you slam the tranny in "P" while the car's moving, it'll be just fine.

There's little enough space in the center console (why, I don't know, but it's totally cramped) to have to fit in a handbrake lever, too.

EDIT: Bob, the pawl is the device that engages a sprocket in the transmission's output shaft when you put the car in "P". It's a little lever with a tooth on it that holds the sprocket from moving. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratchet_%28device%29
Old 06-13-2007, 10:16 AM
Go Big Blue!

If/when I'm on a sharp incline I would use the parking break. if for no other reason, it makes shifting out of park later on easier. Also, it just feels like a good thing to do for safety reasons in case the tranny "pawl" decides to give way. However, I totally agree, on level (or near level) ground. It can't possibly matter
Old 06-13-2007, 10:22 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
What is a pawl?

I guess I'll try to use it more, but really don't like to. Half the time I forget it until I've shifted the tranny to "D". The handbrake provides a visual reminder to use the parking brake and in my TL I used it every time I parked.

Aside from the red light on the dash, the message "DRL OFF" appears on the MID(assuming the headlights aren't on) when the parking brake is on.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by GoHawks
Aside from the red light on the dash, the message "DRL OFF" appears on the MID(assuming the headlights aren't on) when the parking brake is on.

That's right, I don't look at those right after I jump into the car and start it. Seriously. It just isn't part of my "pre-flight checklist" as I have been used to seeing a handbrake. Well, like I said, I guess I'll just have to get used to it. It's the last adjustment I have to make to my RL.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:54 PM
Pro

What is a pawl?

The pawl is a part in the tranny that locks the gears when you put the car in park. It does lock the tranny and keeps the car in place, however, the transmission gears are not "meant" to hold the car's weight while its standing still. On a steep incline the pawl might just let go (as we read in the paper of empty runaway cars every day), but more insidiously, it damages the gear bearings. Bearings are happiest when rotating rather than when simply bearing a static weight. As some have already posted here the risk of bearing damage is small, the risk of it running away while in park on a hill is much more common and problematic. As I already posted previously, its really not an issue on flat or almost flat surfaces, but on an incline of more than 15 degrees or so you are looking for trouble. I had a buddy that had his accord go down the hill into his neighbor's property TWICE!!!! the second time it actually ended suspended in a tree. His never forgotten since
Old 06-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by RL06tech
The pawl is a part in the tranny that locks the gears when you put the car in park. It does lock the tranny and keeps the car in place, however, the transmission gears are not "meant" to hold the car's weight while its standing still. On a steep incline the pawl might just let go (as we read in the paper of empty runaway cars every day), but more insidiously, it damages the gear bearings. Bearings are happiest when rotating rather than when simply bearing a static weight. As some have already posted here the risk of bearing damage is small, the risk of it running away while in park on a hill is much more common and problematic. As I already posted previously, its really not an issue on flat or almost flat surfaces, but on an incline of more than 15 degrees or so you are looking for trouble. I had a buddy that had his accord go down the hill into his neighbor's property TWICE!!!! the second time it actually ended suspended in a tree. His never forgotten since
(He's, not his) lest we forget our GREAT SPELLING!
Old 06-15-2007, 09:22 PM
White and Nerdy

In Pittsburgh, my theory is that anything that helps prevent your car from sliding down the hill helps, so, yes, I use the parking break.

I actually like the parking brake in pedal form, but wish it was like my dad's old Cadillac, which would deactivate the parking break when you shifted out of park. The pedal would snap back into the deactivated position.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:49 PM
Racer

Not only does using the parking brake protect the transmission pawl, it also adjusts the rear brakes. Not using the parking brake will eventually cause the rear brake adjuster to become inoperative. USE MINE MOST OF THE TIME
Old 06-16-2007, 06:33 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by medrxman
Not only does using the parking brake protect the transmission pawl, it also adjusts the rear brakes. Not using the parking brake will eventually cause the rear brake adjuster to become inoperative. USE MINE MOST OF THE TIME
That's one I've never heard before. No offense to medrxman, but can anyone else confirm that? I live in South Orange County, FL, which is as flat as flat can be. I never use my parking brake any more.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:11 AM
Instructor

Unless there is something special about the Acura, there is no causal link between the pad wear adjustment function (which is what I'm assuming he is talking about here) and the e-brake. Disclaimer: most of my experience is with Toyotas, but I'll go out on a limb and say the mechanism is not that far removed on an Acura.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:12 AM
'06 RL

Maybe in the days of drum brakes... but rear disc brakes with floating calipers don't need adjustment....

There's an adjustment on the parking brake cable that self-adjusts to follow the wear of the brake pads, but again, I can't see that needing any kind of adjustment, either.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:20 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
That's one I've never heard before. No offense to medrxman, but can anyone else confirm that? I live in South Orange County, FL, which is as flat as flat can be. I never use my parking brake any more.
As quoted from linked article:

"Using the parking brake helps keep the cables freed up so corrosion can't buildup and cause the cables to bind. Applying the parking brake also works the self-adjusters in the rear brakes and helps keep the linings in drum brakes properly adjusted for minimum pedal travel. On cars with four wheel disc brakes and locking rear calipers, using the parking brake keeps the threaded self-adjusting mechanisms inside the rear caliper pistons working freely to compensate for pad wear."

Yes, I agree it was drum brakes, however it appears best to use the E-Brake as indicated.

Link below for article:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2003/bf40358.htm
Old 06-16-2007, 11:44 PM
'05 RL 300K Miles

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
I do a fair amount of surveillance for work. So at night or any other time I don't want my running lights on, I set the parking brake, turn the car off, re-start it, voila, no running lights. Now if I could only get a cloaking device....
Old 06-17-2007, 03:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
always use the parking brake on inclines to help the transmission. i have used both hand brake and foot brake and now they are both second nature to me. just remember if your foot brake was a handbrake, then the center console would be more crowded and less storage space.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by FN P90
I do a fair amount of surveillance for work. So at night or any other time I don't want my running lights on, I set the parking brake, turn the car off, re-start it, voila, no running lights. Now if I could only get a cloaking device....
Yes, but how do you drive without running lights? They turn on as soon as you release the brake.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:22 PM
Instructor

I don't use the parking brake except for inclines. I don't like the release mechanism. I wish there was a hand release.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:34 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by FN P90
Hey thanks for the tip I tried that and it worked. Not sure why they have that feature but I guess it's good to know if I ever need to do "surveillance" on someone
Old 06-18-2007, 09:39 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Living as I do in fairly flat north Texas, I use the parking brake only when I'm parked on an incline.

But I have to agree with those who feel a handbrake sticking up beside the seat is both unsightly and out of place on a luxury sedan with AT. The only change I'd make is a release on the dash (or even an automatic one when shifting out of "P"). I have always found the "push to engage and push to release" system a little awkward.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
The only change I'd make is a release on the dash (or even an automatic one when shifting out of "P"). I have always found the "push to engage and push to release" system a little awkward.

I like your second suggestion better--automatic disengagement when shifting out of "P". This morning, like a duma$$, I started driving the car with the parking brake engaged. Luckily, the bells started ringing immediately and I disengaged after a second or two.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:27 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
This morning, like a duma$$, I started driving the car with the parking brake engaged. Luckily, the bells started ringing immediately and I disengaged after a second or two.
I guess, like the cobbler's son having no shoes, knowing a lot about the workings of the brain gives you no leg up on using it.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:30 AM
'06 RL

I like your second suggestion better--automatic disengagement when shifting out of "P". This morning, like a duma$$, I started driving the car with the parking brake engaged. Luckily, the bells started ringing immediately and I disengaged after a second or two.

My old Cadillac STS had that feature -- a foot mounted brake which disengaged electrically when you shifted out of Park.

The one and only time I used it, the spring loaded thing went off when I shifted out of park, and it wailed me in the shin. That was it for the parking brake, it freakin' HURT.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I guess, like the cobbler's son having no shoes, knowing a lot about the workings of the brain gives you no leg up on using it.

Sure doesn't.

It's just so hard to overcome old habits.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:30 PM
2014 SH Advance/2006 Tech

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts
Dont use

I really dont use the E-brake. I know that it helps in protecting the Tranny. I use it for my other Car Civic Hybrid though. I really didn't like the brake position.But I will use for sure in incline.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
I never have used a hand brake on an automatic car. On the manual car, every time.