Do you have a sloppy shifting transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 08:32 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Do you have a sloppy shifting transmission?

Hi All,

I'm new here and purchased a CPO'd '05 RL a few weeks ago. It's been a great car and I am thoroughly enjoying it.

However, one of the things I've had a tough time adapting to is the RLs transmision. I have a BMW X5 and the transmission on the X5 is very, very good with the smoothness of the shifts.

Having said all that, I noticed there were a few people on the forum who have posted about the "jerky" shifting of the RLs transmission and how frustrating it can be.

I think I finally figured out what the problem was with me: As I would sense the transmission would get ready to shift, I would take my foot off the accelerator pedal just slightly. This causes a 'jerk' in the shift. If I keep my foot on the accelerator without letting off, the shift is much, much better.

I'm not sure why the throttle position would make the transmission become jerky, but I thought I would pass this along to current/potential owners. Keep your foot into the throttle as the transmission shifts and I think you will find the transmission is much, much better.

It will take me a while to adapt to this driving style but the much smoother shifting will make things much better.

Chris
Old 08-13-2008, 09:11 AM
2007 BMW 550i sleeps in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
I've also had experience with 2001 BMW X5 for 3 yrs prior to upgrading it to 2008 RL (BTW still drive it from time to time - simply gave it to my dad to drive)
Anyway, on RL you could fill the lack of 6th gear, with comparison to BMW X5. Having said that, for 5 gear box, which RL has, transmisison is very smooth once you adapt to it .
If I'd look for detail where X5 is superior than RL - this would be brakes in my opinion. RL has a very good brakes - but X5 is better.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by CFoote
Hi All,
It will take me a while to adapt to this driving style but the much smoother shifting will make things much better.

Chris
Is there any reason that you can think of as to why you would lift your foot off of the gas just as the car is about to change gear or are you just trying to confuse the gearbox algorithems? And why would driving correctly take you a while to adapt to?
Old 08-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by db22
Is there any reason that you can think of as to why you would lift your foot off of the gas just as the car is about to change gear or are you just trying to confuse the gearbox algorithems? And why would driving correctly take you a while to adapt to?
Easy, different speed limits and road conditions warrant that I take my foot off the accelerator once I reach a desired speed. The rate of which you attain that speed is dependent upon how far down you push on the accelerator pedal.

Why would you even take the time to make a comment like this? You have added nothing to the thread.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

I apologise. The thread is: When I drive incorrectly the RL has a jerky transmission but I know how to fix it - I drive correctly"
Old 08-13-2008, 01:15 PM
Racer

I apologise. The thread is: When I drive incorrectly the RL has a jerky transmission but I know how to fix it - I drive correctly"
There's no right or wrong way to drive using the throttle, everyone has their own different way.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CFoote
There's no right or wrong way to drive using the throttle, everyone has their own different way.
We will have to leave the "right and wrong" way to drive using the throttle for others to decide but I do have a question: Are you stating that the BMW does not manifest the same transmission response when you let up the throttle when it is about to change gear?
I have experienced this "indecision" before in the RL but I have also had the same issue with all other automatics when I try to confuse it.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:38 AM
Racer

We will have to leave the "right and wrong" way to drive using the throttle for others to decide but I do have a question: Are you stating that the BMW does not manifest the same transmission response when you let up the throttle when it is about to change gear?
I have experienced this "indecision" before in the RL but I have also had the same issue with all other automatics when I try to confuse it.
Yep, my X5s transmission does not exhibit the problem. I don't know what it has in the software to compensate for it, but it does not exhibit any 'jerkiness' if you let off the gas.