05 RL versus 07 TL Type S

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 11:23 AM
A Saitama Garage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 23109VC
so if I get an RL, go 06+?

with the prices of cars coming down, deals left/right, and cash back incentives stack on top of invoice deals...when I looked at a 08 TL-S I was quoted 35,700. THEN you could take the $2k incentive off that. so you could get a TL-S for about 34k even - easily.

i hadn't got into pricing discussion on an RL b/c I was really looking at the TL-S but after a few test drives, the torque steer kept bothering me. it wsa a nice car, and when you took turns at 7/10ths...it felt vERY tight and sporty...but if you got on the gas hard, it torque steered, and I HATE that. it really detracted from teh whole sporty image.

the oher thing I hate is that the TL is everywhere.they are a dime a dozen. the TL-S is somewhat unique looking to a car enthusiats..but to the masses..it's just another TL.

the RL, on the other hand, looks very upscale, is is VERY unique. I hardly see one on the road, and when I do, I think "man that's a nice looking car". very classy looking.
When I bought my TL new in January 06, I took it back to the shop right after and complained about the torque steer. I talked to them in detail about it and they said that it was the way the car was built. So basically, 1 week into the car, I disliked it b/c of the torque steer. The point here is that when you hit the gas, that's when you need the car to be the most stable and go absolutely straight. The TL can't do that. Mine always torque steered.

I don't think the RL and TL can be compared in terms of driving. The RL is far superior and when you hit the gas, it truly feels heavy and sticks to the ground (due to weight and SH-AWD). I highly recommend you look and price out RLs. Although you could wait for the next refresh of the body style, you'll probably get the best deal on this body style shortly after the new style comes out. That's my two cents.

I live in the DC area and I see TL's and TL-S's everywhere. Outside of the dealership, I have only seen a handful of RLs. Kinda like the BMW 7 series. Even the BMW 5 series here is everywhere.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
+3 on staying away from 2005 RLs unless you are a) willing to go aftermarket for a rear view camera, and b) willing to make sure it had all the electronics TSB done.

Make your life easier and get an '06.

The 3GTL has plenty of refinement, BTW. I've owned a 2G and a 3G TL and the 3G blows the 2G away in sophistication and refinement. The RL goes onther five notches above the TL in refinement, though.

Even modded, the RL is a smooth roller with comfort.....but I've also got a little extra power and fun with all the mods for those times when I want to drive assertively.

And have I said that SH-AWD is the shiznit today yet? And that A-Spec is worth every penny?
Old 01-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
I have an '05 and havent had any major issues. If you do your due diligence, you can get a great 2005 model at a great price. Not to mention potentially saving thousands of $$$. For the extra piece of mind, a portion of that extra savings can go towards an extended warranty. All I'm saying is that there are plenty of good '05's out there, don't assume that every one you find will be a lemon based on the tone of some of these posts....
Old 01-18-2008, 12:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck091279
When I bought my TL new in January 06, I took it back to the shop right after and complained about the torque steer. I talked to them in detail about it and they said that it was the way the car was built. So basically, 1 week into the car, I disliked it b/c of the torque steer. The point here is that when you hit the gas, that's when you need the car to be the most stable and go absolutely straight. The TL can't do that. Mine always torque steered.

I don't think the RL and TL can be compared in terms of driving. The RL is far superior and when you hit the gas, it truly feels heavy and sticks to the ground (due to weight and SH-AWD). I highly recommend you look and price out RLs. Although you could wait for the next refresh of the body style, you'll probably get the best deal on this body style shortly after the new style comes out. That's my two cents.

I live in the DC area and I see TL's and TL-S's everywhere. Outside of the dealership, I have only seen a handful of RLs. Kinda like the BMW 7 series. Even the BMW 5 series here is everywhere.
I'm glad you noticed the torque steer most TL drivers, many of whom have apparently only driven FWD cars their whole lives, either don't notice torque steer at all or think it is exciting.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
^
Old 01-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
I test drove both the stick and auto TL Type S. I'd read many posts on this site where people would say they don't notice any torque steer on their TL... what a joke. they must drive everywhere at 1/2 throttle and never push the car.

both the stick and auto have gobs of torque steer if you mash the gas at low speed, or hit the gas in a turn. if you are at a constant speed, going through twisties, it handles great. if you are at steady speed going around a cloverleaf, it sticks really well. but if you get on it hard, run it to redline, in first/second you will feel the wheel jerk out of your hand.

my MDX never does that - SH-AWD!

that's why i am not thinking of an RL. i just wonder if an RL can handle as well as the TL. and i'd kind be annoyed if the RL was really slow. gotta drive one.

the TL-S I drove was pretty quick off the line and had nice pull once youw ere in VTEC.

is an RL faster than a new MDX?

Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
I'm glad you noticed the torque steer most TL drivers, many of whom have apparently only driven FWD cars their whole lives, either don't notice torque steer at all or think it is exciting.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Asian07RL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 23109VC
I test drove both the stick and auto TL Type S. I'd read many posts on this site where people would say they don't notice any torque steer on their TL... what a joke. they must drive everywhere at 1/2 throttle and never push the car.

both the stick and auto have gobs of torque steer if you mash the gas at low speed, or hit the gas in a turn. if you are at a constant speed, going through twisties, it handles great. if you are at steady speed going around a cloverleaf, it sticks really well. but if you get on it hard, run it to redline, in first/second you will feel the wheel jerk out of your hand.

my MDX never does that - SH-AWD!

that's why i am not thinking of an RL. i just wonder if an RL can handle as well as the TL. and i'd kind be annoyed if the RL was really slow. gotta drive one.

the TL-S I drove was pretty quick off the line and had nice pull once youw ere in VTEC.

is an RL faster than a new MDX?

Yes, RL is .6 sec faster in accordance to C/D test drive.

From Car and driver for both MDX and RL

ACURA MDX 2007
Forget the ponderous moves you associate with tall vehicles. The MDX is quick on its Michelins (18-inch wheels are standard), accelerating to 60 mph in 7.3 seconds and through the quarter-mile in 15.7 seconds at 90 mph. Braking from 70 mph takes 177 feet, a performance in the top half of its class. Grip, as measured on the skidpad, is 0.84 g,

ACURA RL 2007

C/D TEST RESULTS
ACCELERATION Seconds
Zero to 30 mph 2.4
40 mph: 3.5
50 mph: 5.1
60 mph: 6.7
70 mph: 8.6
80 mph: 11.3
90 mph: 14.1
100 mph: 17.1
110 mph: 21.8