05 RL versus 07 TL Type S

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 11:28 AM
Retired playa

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 RL versus 07 TL Type S

Next summer, I'm going to be in the market for one of these 2 and quite honestly I'm torn.

I love the RL, especially with the 18's and spoiler and woodgrain, but those are so rare and pricey compared to the 'stock' 05's. The TL Type S has everything already tacked on and all I would have to do is pick the color. The TL appeals to the boy racer in me.

I would be financing for 5 years, but paying off in 3 (only reason I finance for 5 is for a safety net).

Logically I know the 07 is a better financial decision if I'm buying in 08 or even 09, but in 08 the RL would have gone through just about all of its rapid depreciation phase, meaning that the depreciation rate should slow down significantly.

Right now average price is about 34k for the RL with 45k +/- 10k miles. That is roughly about 1k less then a TL type S with significantly less miles.

I work from home so I won't be racking up miles which will also help depreciation.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:40 AM
A Saitama Garage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well you are on an RL board, so the responses you get might be a bit biased. Having put that out there, I'd pick the RL since it sounds like you're concerned about depreciation. I think the RL would have depreciated the most by then. Also I recommend getting an 06 or later as the 05 RL had a lot of little glitches in it that they resolved in the 06. Any car will depreciate, it's just how much you want to lose. I didn't buy a new RL b/c I didn't want to take the hit on depreciation like I did on my previous TL. Plus, the RL will depreciate a bit more than a TL.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:35 PM
Retired playa

I understand why you say the 06 RL rather than the 05, and I'll take that into consideration when the time comes. The truth is the 06 would probably cost more than I'm willing to spend at the time, but we'll see.

Is the RL really that much better than the Type S? That's the heart of my question which is why I posted here. I drive a 2000 TL-P right now and I love it, but I want something newer and sportier. I'd be happy with the Type S but I also like the sophistication (and unintended scarcity) of the RL.

Yeah I'm a little concerned about depreciation, but that is just one piece of the puzzle.

Anyone who's driven both care to comment? I'd appreciate it
Old 01-15-2008, 06:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Logic717
I understand why you say the 06 RL rather than the 05, and I'll take that into consideration when the time comes. The truth is the 06 would probably cost more than I'm willing to spend at the time, but we'll see.

Is the RL really that much better than the Type S? That's the heart of my question which is why I posted here. I drive a 2000 TL-P right now and I love it, but I want something newer and sportier. I'd be happy with the Type S but I also like the sophistication (and unintended scarcity) of the RL.

Yeah I'm a little concerned about depreciation, but that is just one piece of the puzzle.

Anyone who's driven both care to comment? I'd appreciate it
I owned an 05 RL w/A-Spec wheels and suspension and I've driven an 07 TL-S a few times as a loaner at the dealer - I also owned a 2003 TL Type S before the RL. They really are completely different cars - it depends on your bias toward more refined sporty luxury or hi-revving "boy racer" driving. The RL is much heavier and obviously not as quick off the line as the TL. With the addition of the A-Spec suspension I think the RL handles much much better than the TL due to the SH-AWD. You can take a highway cloverleaf off-ramp at 60 mph and the car just holds the line with no movement - there's no way the TL can do that. The TL feels very light in comparison and much quicker. The TL was a lot of fun to drive, but the torque steer was annoying, and that just doesn't happen in the RL. I actually liked the TL's ELS sound system a little better than the RL's Bose system. I like the RL's Nav better than the TL's touchscreen Nav. It really depends on what you are looking for. Both are great cars and a lot of fun to drive. The RL is one of the best kept secrets out there - it just grows on you and you grow to love driving it every day. Having had an 05 and now an 06 RL I would definitely recommend the 06 - fewer issues and many of the 05's bugs were worked out. You can mod the RL to make it look sportier - wheels, body kit, rear lip spoiler, etc. I will say that I do not like the TL Type S wheels at all.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Retired playa

Originally Posted by dwboston
I owned an 05 RL w/A-Spec wheels and suspension and I've driven an 07 TL-S a few times as a loaner at the dealer - I also owned a 2003 TL Type S before the RL. They really are completely different cars - it depends on your bias toward more refined sporty luxury or hi-revving "boy racer" driving. The RL is much heavier and obviously not as quick off the line as the TL. With the addition of the A-Spec suspension I think the RL handles much much better than the TL due to the SH-AWD. You can take a highway cloverleaf off-ramp at 60 mph and the car just holds the line with no movement - there's no way the TL can do that. The TL feels very light in comparison and much quicker. The TL was a lot of fun to drive, but the torque steer was annoying, and that just doesn't happen in the RL. I actually liked the TL's ELS sound system a little better than the RL's Bose system. I like the RL's Nav better than the TL's touchscreen Nav. It really depends on what you are looking for. Both are great cars and a lot of fun to drive. The RL is one of the best kept secrets out there - it just grows on you and you grow to love driving it every day. Having had an 05 and now an 06 RL I would definitely recommend the 06 - fewer issues and many of the 05's bugs were worked out. You can mod the RL to make it look sportier - wheels, body kit, rear lip spoiler, etc. I will say that I do not like the TL Type S wheels at all.
This is *exactly* what I'm looking for. If I do get the RL the A spec suspension would be on top of my list. I quite frankly don't have the funds or desire to piece all the performance parts together for the RL. That's what makes the Type S appealing to me. It comes 'pre-packaged'. I actually like the Type S wheels ...especially on white or Red TL's. Your clover leaf example and stating that the Type S couldn't hold the line the way the RL surprises me... I thought the Type S had a pretty good suspension setup also... am I mistaken?
Old 01-15-2008, 07:51 PM
White and Nerdy

Your clover leaf example and stating that the Type S couldn't hold the line the way the RL surprises me... I thought the Type S had a pretty good suspension setup also... am I mistaken?
I have not driven the RL-S, but I would imagine that the RL's SH-AWD is the difference there. The RL's ability to corner is amazing for any car, much less a car of its size and weight. Sending that extra ummph to the outside wheels in the turn is just amazing...you can actually feel the car "yawing" into the turn.

If you want a "cornering comparo" just ask TampaRL :wink:
Old 01-15-2008, 07:57 PM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Having driven both. it's all about what you want in your vehicle.

Simply put, if you want a refined experience, get the RL, if you want a more viseral seat of the pants ride, then the TL/S is for you.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:34 PM
Racer

"Refined" = RL and "Boy racer" = TL-S, IMHO (for now at least)

I'm looking right now too.

Wandering (in my mind) all over the place. Accord EX-L V6 on the low end to RL (or A6) on the high end, with the TL-S and G35xS in the middle... Given my age, I'm not sure I'd "look right" in a TL-S.. I think the EX-L V6, G35xS, or RL are more my "image" (?????)
Old 01-15-2008, 09:04 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
orig poster mentions 'next summer'. I think the all new TL and refreshed RL could have a definite impact on prices and market choices by summer.
The current TL will be replaced, and the RL majorly tweaked. there will be lower prices on used RLs and TLs. Depending on what the new TL is, I wager to guess it may steal some RL sales, used or new.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 123456SPEED
orig poster mentions 'next summer'. I think the all new TL and refreshed RL could have a definite impact on prices and market choices by summer.
The current TL will be replaced, and the RL majorly tweaked. there will be lower prices on used RLs and TLs. Depending on what the new TL is, I wager to guess it may steal some RL sales, used or new.
It may be stealing sales of RLs and TLs already.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Retired playa

This is a good point. I didn't think about that... but then the RL would take another big depreciation hit. I guess it comes down to two things, do I want the boy racer image or the more refined look and am I prepared to hold on to the 'last year' model for the 3-5 year span.

I think the difference is clear between the two in terms of image. I'm 29 geronimomoe so maybe I would 'fit' more with the Type S, but damn I like refined too. I'm torn!

I looked at the M35 also which is right in this price range but I think I'm a Honda man to the core (my wife pushes a Pilot).

By the way, my commute right now is about 5 miles each way to daycare and back home twice a day. Sometimes leaving for lunch so its not like i'm gonna rack up miles lol
Old 01-15-2008, 09:20 PM
Burning Brakes

This is *exactly* what I'm looking for. If I do get the RL the A spec suspension would be on top of my list. I quite frankly don't have the funds or desire to piece all the performance parts together for the RL. That's what makes the Type S appealing to me. It comes 'pre-packaged'. I actually like the Type S wheels ...especially on white or Red TL's. Your clover leaf example and stating that the Type S couldn't hold the line the way the RL surprises me... I thought the Type S had a pretty good suspension setup also... am I mistaken?
See this thread for what I'm talking about: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4986

The Type S does have a good suspension - it just doesn't compare to a SH-AWD RL with A-Spec suspension. There's a reason the RL costs more than the TL, even if some folks say they don't understand why.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Burning Brakes

This is a good point. I didn't think about that... but then the RL would take another big depreciation hit. I guess it comes down to two things, do I want the boy racer image or the more refined look and am I prepared to hold on to the 'last year' model for the 3-5 year span.

I think the difference is clear between the two in terms of image. I'm 29 geronimomoe so maybe I would 'fit' more with the Type S, but damn I like refined too. I'm torn!

I looked at the M35 also which is right in this price range but I think I'm a Honda man to the core (my wife pushes a Pilot).

By the way, my commute right now is about 5 miles each way to daycare and back home twice a day. Sometimes leaving for lunch so its not like i'm gonna rack up miles lol
Get an 06 RL, add the A-Spec suspension (and wheels if you can), and have some fun driving it for the next 3-5 years. You won't be sorry.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:28 PM
Retired playa

Originally Posted by dwboston
See this thread for what I'm talking about: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4986

The Type S does have a good suspension - it just doesn't compare to a SH-AWD RL with A-Spec suspension. There's a reason the RL costs more than the TL, even if some folks say they don't understand why.
great read, thanks for finding that. Yeah, that's definitely a point for the RL. I'm impressionable right now can't you tell? haha

I saw your post about the 06 RL with A-Spec suspension... not sure I'll spend all that on the wheels though, aern't they like 2500 with OEM tires?
Old 01-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Racer

Now if you're willing to wander a bit, I'd check out the G35xS.. Doesn't hurt....
Old 01-15-2008, 09:38 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I have an 03 CL Type S with 6speed and Navi. I loved the current TL when it came out, but it is very similar to my CLS and I love coupes.
When I saw the current RLs interior/dash, it jumped to the head of the line for any future Acura I would have. It's my favorite thing about the RL and there is a lot to like. The TL is great, and offers a lot, both are great cars. I love the exclusivity of the RL too. TLs are everywhere, (but for good reason).
Old 01-15-2008, 10:01 PM
Racer

TLs are everywhere, (but for good reason).
Agreed. Bang for the buck, you can't go wrong. At the end of the day, it's really an emotional decision which only you can answer...

Question is do you want it regular, cajuned, or extra crispy??
Old 01-15-2008, 10:34 PM
Proboscis-free zone

I vote RL, preferably '06. I have not driven the TL-S but did get a TL loaner for a day 2 weeks ago. I owned an '04 TL for almost 3 years and 43,000 miles. The '07 TL loaner confirmed my memories of the differences. The RL blows the doors off the TL in every category except raw acceleration and fuel economy. RL has better seats, better toys, better navi system, more luxurious interior, equivalent stereo, much better handling with no torque steer, prettier sheet metal, better fit and finish, fewer rattles. The TL-S is very much boy-racer with the two-tone seats and metal interior trim pieces.

Do you want a wife or a mistress??? The RL is a keeper.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
The RL can be modded for more power, and mine feels nearly as quick as the TL.

If you want the raw experience of speed with the sound and all, the TL-S is a no-brainer for you, and it's a great car. I owned a TL for three years, though not a TL-S. I was just in an '08 TL as a loaner yesterday and I remember all the fun I had in mine (With A-Spec, sticky rubber, thicker rear sway bar.....wheeeeeee!). I was happy to get my RL back, though...more toys to play with, the MID has more info than the TL, SH-AWD makes curves awesome, and.....it was just my car.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:01 AM
Retired playa

Aight, I think the RL best fits me right now... most of the time I'm just a baby chauffeur and I think I'm past the boy racer stage. Refinement and toys are right up my alley.

Preciate the perspective guys. I'll just pray that the 09 RL's cause a little bit of a hit to the 06's with Tech package (maybe even one with CMBS!) so that it'll be in my sweetspot.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:06 AM
Advanced

I own a 06 RL & a 07 TL-S The wife usually drives the TL-S while i usually drive the RL I love both but for different reasons The RL is the one i choose to go out to dinner with another couple or go on a long trip The TL-S is the "fun" car If you want to zip around & feel the speed Styling has to go to the TL-S while build quality goes to the RL
I did add the spoiler & 18" Acura chrome look wheels & that did help get closer in the styling department (in my opinion)
Tough call Hope this helps
Old 01-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Aight, I think the RL best fits me right now... most of the time I'm just a baby chauffeur and I think I'm past the boy racer stage. Refinement and toys are right up my alley.

Preciate the perspective guys. I'll just pray that the 09 RL's cause a little bit of a hit to the 06's with Tech package (maybe even one with CMBS!) so that it'll be in my sweetspot.
If you want another excuse, I believe passive safety wise, the RL is a far safer car with ACE body structure, and all the airbags, etc. You can also rationalize the SH-AWD + EBD + VSC + Brake Assist + ABS + TCS as being other active safety advantages (The TL has much the same, but the RL's is theoretically more sophisticated with the integration of the SH-AWD).

One thing I would do both cars, is try out the baby car seat, and how it fits, how you fit entering and exiting, etc. and see, practically speaking, whether you need to go to minivan! (Just kidding!)
Old 01-16-2008, 09:47 PM
Retired playa

Originally Posted by Chas2
If you want another excuse, I believe passive safety wise, the RL is a far safer car with ACE body structure, and all the airbags, etc. You can also rationalize the SH-AWD + EBD + VSC + Brake Assist + ABS + TCS as being other active safety advantages (The TL has much the same, but the RL's is theoretically more sophisticated with the integration of the SH-AWD).

One thing I would do both cars, is try out the baby car seat, and how it fits, how you fit entering and exiting, etc. and see, practically speaking, whether you need to go to minivan! (Just kidding!)
LOL, if I can fit my kid in the TLP i have now, the RL will do just fine. The closest i'm coming to a minvan is the pilot my wife drives. The rear DVD is a life saver on long trips!
Old 01-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Racer

I have the opposite.. 05 TL and a 07 RL .. even though the TL is tight and sporty, the RL is smooth and much more solid feeling, imho..
Old 01-17-2008, 05:37 AM
Advanced

The baby seat is a good test We went from a 2003 tl to the 2007 tls The same seat is tighter in the 07 tls (both were in the middle)
Old 01-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
That's because the current generation of TL is smaller than its predecessor.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
I'm in the market for a new car - I need a 4 door sedan that can seat three small kids across the back. I currently have a 2007 MDX as the family car and it fits all three of our kids IN CAR SEATS across the back. We have one child who is in a booster, two in car seats...we can pretty comfortably fit all three in the MDX.

I was looking at the TL Type S - and I took my car seats to the dealer and all three fit in the back. It was a bit tight - it was a bit hard to reach all the buckles/etc because the seats were so close to one another - BUT they fit. I did NOT do this with the RL.

I was really looking at the TL Type S - I liked the sporty aspect of the car. It's a nice blend of performance/sportiness/luxury. The ONE thing I absolutely HATED about the car was the torque steer.

i got on the gas pretty hard on my test drives - and I drove a stick AND the auto - and both torque steered a lot. and the paddle shifters was kind of gimmicky in that the shifts were slow...and delayed..just like the older system where you push/pull the automatic lever down between the seats. ...like on my MDX..the TL Type S just lets you do it via paddle shifters..but it doens't shift any more agressively or faster..at least not to me it didn't seem to. so i was kind of let down in that the car did take turns pretty well...i took one freeway offramp..the full circle kind and it stuck realy well in the turns and this was aTL S that had the NON high performance tires...

i also got to drive it on a section of twisty roads and I thought it took the turns fairly nicely. at 7/10s it drives really sporty and it's fun. if you push it to 9/10s it feels like a FWD torque steering car and that really sucks.

So..I have NOT test driven a RL, but a local dealer has a 2006 that has the Aspec wheels/ body kit, with only 10k miles on it. it looks beautiful. he wants $39k for it...probably would go down somewhat...

questions:

1) how do I know if THIS RL with the aspec body kit has hte aspec SUSPENSION?
2) how well would an RL WITH the aspec suspension handle compared to the TL Type S I drove?? I would imagine since the RL is heavier, it might not transition through curves as well, but given it has SH-AWD it might take on/offramps etc a LOT better. My MDX is GREAT no that stuff and it's an SUV!

3) is the rear seat area in an RL much larger than the TL? leg/knee room and width across the back? if I could just barely fit the three car seats into the tL-S will they fit any better in the RL?

anyone care to point me to any full blown comparos between a TLS and the RL?

I'm nervous that if I test drvi the RL I'll think it's too much like an "old guys" car. I'm 35. Part of me wants a TL-S..or a 335 or heck, just keep my daily driver beater I have now and pickup an S2k for a weekend toy! i have a bit of that "boy racer" inside me, BUT I'm an attorney, and like a lot of professionals, in their 30s, I don't really see myself driving a car like an EVO or STi..and while the TL-S is NOT Ricey at all, it's got a touch of that boy rcer look.. i like the upscale image of the RL and I think it's a beautiful car. i have no idea why Acura doesn't sell them more than they do..it's very nice looking...

anyway... is the RL w/aspec suspension going to drive as wel as the TL-S in terms of cornering... does the SHAWD make up[ fo the weight.... AND can I make the RL as fast as the TL-S with MINOR mods. I might do an AEM intake...not sure on exhaust. I for sure would be up for the aspec suspension.

thanks for any info.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:39 PM
Retired playa

Originally Posted by 23109VC
I'm in the market for a new car - I need a 4 door sedan that can seat three small kids across the back. I currently have a 2007 MDX as the family car and it fits all three of our kids IN CAR SEATS across the back. We have one child who is in a booster, two in car seats...we can pretty comfortably fit all three in the MDX.

I was looking at the TL Type S - and I took my car seats to the dealer and all three fit in the back. It was a bit tight - it was a bit hard to reach all the buckles/etc because the seats were so close to one another - BUT they fit. I did NOT do this with the RL.

I was really looking at the TL Type S - I liked the sporty aspect of the car. It's a nice blend of performance/sportiness/luxury. The ONE thing I absolutely HATED about the car was the torque steer.

i got on the gas pretty hard on my test drives - and I drove a stick AND the auto - and both torque steered a lot. and the paddle shifters was kind of gimmicky in that the shifts were slow...and delayed..just like the older system where you push/pull the automatic lever down between the seats. ...like on my MDX..the TL Type S just lets you do it via paddle shifters..but it doens't shift any more agressively or faster..at least not to me it didn't seem to. so i was kind of let down in that the car did take turns pretty well...i took one freeway offramp..the full circle kind and it stuck realy well in the turns and this was aTL S that had the NON high performance tires...

i also got to drive it on a section of twisty roads and I thought it took the turns fairly nicely. at 7/10s it drives really sporty and it's fun. if you push it to 9/10s it feels like a FWD torque steering car and that really sucks.

So..I have NOT test driven a RL, but a local dealer has a 2006 that has the Aspec wheels/ body kit, with only 10k miles on it. it looks beautiful. he wants $39k for it...probably would go down somewhat...

questions:

2) how well would an RL WITH the aspec suspension handle compared to the TL Type S I drove?? I would imagine since the RL is heavier, it might not transition through curves as well, but given it has SH-AWD it might take on/offramps etc a LOT better. My MDX is GREAT no that stuff and it's an SUV!

3) is the rear seat area in an RL much larger than the TL? leg/knee room and width across the back? if I could just barely fit the three car seats into the tL-S will they fit any better in the RL?

I'm nervous that if I test drvi the RL I'll think it's too much like an "old guys" car. I'm 35. Part of me wants a TL-S..or a 335 or heck, just keep my daily driver beater I have now and pickup an S2k for a weekend toy! i have a bit of that "boy racer" inside me, BUT I'm an attorney, and like a lot of professionals, in their 30s, I don't really see myself driving a car like an EVO or STi..and while the TL-S is NOT Ricey at all, it's got a touch of that boy rcer look.. i like the upscale image of the RL and I think it's a beautiful car. i have no idea why Acura doesn't sell them more than they do..it's very nice looking...

anyway... is the RL w/aspec suspension going to drive as wel as the TL-S in terms of cornering... does the SHAWD make up[ fo the weight.... AND can I make the RL as fast as the TL-S with MINOR mods. I might do an AEM intake...not sure on exhaust. I for sure would be up for the aspec suspension.

thanks for any info.
While you have 3 kids and I only have 1 who's in a booster at that , we are in pretty much the same situation except you articulated your situation much more eloquently than I did! Ultimately, for me, the RL is a better choice simply because of the image (along with the gadgets!). I wanted the more upscale, refined daily driver rather than the ... fling. IE I wanted the wife and not the sex crazed girlfriend.

From other posts here, you can see that the ASpec suspension enhances the already capable RL, I can't comment since I haven't driven one aggressively, but all indications are that it is certainly a very nimble car for its heft.

The decision comes down to what you really want... refined, gadet loaded, with some umph, or do you want the seat of your pants, torque steering, freak.

Go take a test drive and come back to tell me all about it!!!

-Logic
Old 01-17-2008, 04:15 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
While you have 3 kids and I only have 1 who's in a booster at that , we are in pretty much the same situation except you articulated your situation much more eloquently than I did! Ultimately, for me, the RL is a better choice simply because of the image (along with the gadgets!). I wanted the more upscale, refined daily driver rather than the ... fling. IE I wanted the wife and not the sex crazed girlfriend.

From other posts here, you can see that the ASpec suspension enhances the already capable RL, I can't comment since I haven't driven one aggressively, but all indications are that it is certainly a very nimble car for its heft.

The decision comes down to what you really want... refined, gadet loaded, with some umph, or do you want the seat of your pants, torque steering, freak.

Go take a test drive and come back to tell me all about it!!!

-Logic
The paddle shifters on the RL are no different in that they don't shift any sooner, and since they move with the wheel, shifting through the twisties gets awkward.

While I can't comment on the A-Spec suspension, I will say that the RL really does have dual personalities.

I say this more from a handling perspective since the TL, especially the TL-S will have better raw acceleration, if you can get past the torque steer.

In a normal commute, the RL drives like any other luxury slanted sports sedan. It has a decidely firm ride (even in stock form) over say a Lexus GS, but you really don't see the other personality until you seriously begin to toss it around a bit. You have to push it beyond what you would normally expect.

I don't mean you should be reckless, but what I mean is that because the RL doesn't have a go-kart like suspension, you may not feel comfortable taking that turn a little harder.

Once you do, you literally do feel the SH-AWD push you through the turn.

It's a very neutral car, very little if any understeer that you would experience in a TL or any other FWD car.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:32 PM
Drifting

i would imagine that the RL has the characteristics - in terms of the SH-AWD - like my MDX.

my MDX is not exactl ythe kind of car you would use to carve through twisties, or tackle freeway onramps at double the suggested speed - but you CAN. I have taken onramps and mashed the gas, and you can feel the SHAWD system kick in and rotate you while you turn. hard to describe, must be felt to understand it.. and since i have an MDX with a system much like the RL's, I know what you mean.

my MDX though, has a pretty soft suspension. I drove a TL-S and it clearly rode rougher, went through corners much FLATTER/minimal body roll...compared to my MDX. the TL-S, howver, had torque steer which I did not like.

i would say the TL-S handles considerably better than my MDX in terms of pure grip, or ability to zig zag through a twisty road b/c it's lighter,lower to the ground,etc... but the MDX handles MUCH better than it Should given how big/heavy it is - mostly due to the SHAWD system.

I wondered how firm/stiff the RL drives compared to a TL S and how the body roll is?

maybe if you add teh a spec setup to an RL it would handle,ride a lot lkea TL-S - only when you gas it through turns you won't get that horrible torque steer.

the base RL looks nice. i personally think the a spec kit looks really cool on the RL. it still looks very upscale, only it gives it a slightly aggressive look..subtle...but it's there. nice.

does that kit come prepainted were I to buy an RL that did NOT have it stock?
Old 01-17-2008, 06:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
does that kit come prepainted were I to buy an RL that did NOT have it stock?
yes it does come pre painted. Consider before the body kit, A-Spec suspension. You will use and feel it every day!
Old 01-17-2008, 07:07 PM
Cruisin'

I have never driven a TL Type S but I did get an 07 TL with 11,000 miles as a loaner one time. I was shocked as I pulled out of the dealership and drove 20 miles to work, combination city and highway. The TL was totally lacking in the sophistication I have become used to in my 05 RL. The quality of the interior seamed amateurish and cheap in comparison. The seats got my attention first. I could not find a comfortable position and they seamed too hard. The leather felt very hard in comparison to the cushy but firm seats in my RL. The navigation screen was not as clear and streets did not look as proportional as they do in the RL. The only thumbs up for the TL is that it felt slightly faster from a full stop. Everything else was thumbs down...Nav, stereo, handling, comfort, quality feel and so on and so on.... The difference in price is certainly warranted. I have driven my 05 RL for 27 months now and it feels just as good today as it did on day one. I like the commercial about the Cadillac CTS that asks..."When you turn on your car does it return the favor"? My answer for the RL is an overwhelming YES, YES, YES. I have heard others say...The RL is the best kept secret…so true.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:12 PM
Racer

questions:

thanks for any info.
I'm in the same boat you are except we have 2 kids.

Drove the TL-S. Nice tight car, nice tight steering, in a straight run. Don't like the torque steer... Boy "racish" for me but maybe I'll live with it. Haven't decided yet.

As for the 06 RL for 39K, that is way, way over priced. You can buy a new base 08 for 40K or a new tech for roughly 43K.. You'll find that an A-Spec kit will cost a couple of thousand, including tires.

Good luck in whatever you do...
Old 01-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Asian07RL

jcha2,

Well said + 1.

I had 04 TL and I know what you meant.

The RL beats the TL on/off ramp and also rocks @ 80 MPH all day long.(with 18" wheels)
Old 01-18-2008, 02:04 AM
Kang Ho

I may have to make a decision between these two if the new TL/RL disappoint...
Old 01-18-2008, 06:58 AM
A Saitama Garage

My dash was fading on my 06 TL and Acura didn't have a fix for it. They actually told me that all dashes in TLs do the same thing. Torque Steer and blotchy leather sealed the deal for me to trade it in. I had bought it brand new. Never doing that again, at least on a car built in Ohio.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
I have driven just about every generation TL and they do not compare to my '05 RL. Comfort, SHAWD, Gizmo's, fit, and finish is where the RL shines (not to mention the exclusivity as well). Like the OP, I also was between a TL and RL, for the price of a new TL, I got a great deal on an RL.... never looked back. My only complaint? Leg room appears to be the same for each car in the rear, perhaps only slightly better on the RL.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:33 AM
Pro

Stay away from 05 RL, go newer as others have said.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Drifting

so if I get an RL, go 06+?

with the prices of cars coming down, deals left/right, and cash back incentives stack on top of invoice deals...when I looked at a 08 TL-S I was quoted 35,700. THEN you could take the $2k incentive off that. so you could get a TL-S for about 34k even - easily.

i hadn't got into pricing discussion on an RL b/c I was really looking at the TL-S but after a few test drives, the torque steer kept bothering me. it wsa a nice car, and when you took turns at 7/10ths...it felt vERY tight and sporty...but if you got on the gas hard, it torque steered, and I HATE that. it really detracted from teh whole sporty image.

the oher thing I hate is that the TL is everywhere.they are a dime a dozen. the TL-S is somewhat unique looking to a car enthusiats..but to the masses..it's just another TL.

the RL, on the other hand, looks very upscale, is is VERY unique. I hardly see one on the road, and when I do, I think "man that's a nice looking car". very classy looking.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Pro

yes. 06 or newer. However, most 05's may be sorted out by now but I would go for the 06 or newer.

Quick Reply: 05 RL versus 07 TL Type S