extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 08:13 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
extended warranty

my wife has a 2013 rdx warrantied until september 2016.
i recived an offer in the mail from my local dealership offering $300. off an extended warranty plan. thats the only info they gave. im gonna contact them for specifics and details but before i do i thought id begin here.

anyone purchase it after the initial time of sale?
if i decide to purchase it i would wait for 4 year coverage to expire.
i never purchased an extended warranty before becausei dont keep cars longer then 4 or 5 years. but my wife might want to keep this vehicle longer. any extended warranty info here would be helpful.
so that when i call the dealer i will have something to compare ,or know what questions to ask.

does pricing vary from dealer to dealer or is it fixed nationwide?
is it transferable, any deductibles, co pays. or exclusions etc.
i would also like to know how many years selected and cost paid. thank you.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:00 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
Here are some quick answers and comments to your questions:

First and foremost - I would ONLY recommend buying an AcuraCare warranty and not deal with any aftermarket programs.

anyone purchase it after the initial time of sale? - Yes I always have.
if i decide to purchase it i would wait for 4 year coverage to expire. - In order for you to continue warranty coverage with an AcuraCare warranty, you need to purchase prior to the expiration of the existing and in tact warranty. I have been told but cannot verify that warranty cost increases as time goes on and miles roll up on the odometer.
i never purchased an extended warranty before becausei dont keep cars longer then 4 or 5 years. but my wife might want to keep this vehicle longer. any extended warranty info here would be helpful. - Do some online comparison shopping before going to the dealer. I would recommend reaching out to and cross shopping Bernardi Honda / Saccucci Honda / Hyannis Honda. These are all real brick and mortar dealers in MA or RI who have historically had aggressive HondaCare and AcuraCare warranty pricing. I personally have purchased two from Bernardi and there are other members who have done business with both Saccucci and Hyannis. It's just coincidental I happen to live in MA as is Bernardi. I have bought parts from them on line as well but haven't purchased or had any cars service there.
so that when i call the dealer i will have something to compare ,or know what questions to ask.

does pricing vary from dealer to dealer or is it fixed nationwide? Varies fro dealer to dealer.
is it transferable, any deductibles, co pays. or exclusions etc. They are transferable (for a fee, $129 I believe-not positive) and also cancelable (refund for unused portion is available), which is likely the route you would go. There are mulitple warranty plans with multiple deductibles, mileages and expiration timeframes. Exclusions do apply and are available with program literature. However as I mentioned above, I would only go with an AcuraCare warranty. AcuraCare is the manufacturer warranty so you don't have to worry about being stuck between your mechanic, his diagnosis and a third party warranty company saying they disagree. You also needn't worry about paying out of pocket and waiting to get reimbursed or only being partially reimbursed for reasonable and customary charges.
i would also like to know how many years selected and cost paid. thank you. - Some of this is going to depend on as you mentioned above how long you think you are going to keep your wife's car. I personally have gone with the 7yr/100K warranty. In terms of pricing, it varies by model and the warranty you pick. As I have not purchased a warranty for an RDX, I'm not sure I can help.
The following users liked this post:
JOE COOL (03-09-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 12:12 PM
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 104 Posts
+1...

Be sure to research & shop around online. You can save serious money over the dealer prices for the exact same warranty. And you can read all the fine print...don't rely on what the dealer sales people say. And go only with AcuraCare...avoid 3rd party warrantees.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:30 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you've been very helpful. thank you for your informative reply.
yes i would only consider an acuracare policy. i am very familiar with bernardi, ive been purchasing parts from them for years. we used to be a 3 car acura family right now we are down to this one. acura lost me and my son. the 7 yr ,100,000, would be good for us. mileage is not a concern, she might do 6 or 7,000 a year. im assuming you mean the first 4 years are original years and the last 3 would be extended. i have no experience shopping or purchasing an extended warrantys but it also seems like dealers have too many choices and prices. i never thought of shopping nationwide.i also didnt know you can purchase it from honda,i thought it had to be acura. i will call bernardi, then give my dealer a chance to beat it or at least match it. much appreciated.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:05 PM

If your wife is only doing 6-7K a year, you might want to consider a shorter mileage warranty as it doesn't sound like she would hit that before the time expiration. Just a thought.
Your wife's RDX is covered by the original OEM 4 year / 50K warranty, so if you did go with a 7 year / 100K you are correct in that you would have an extra 3 years and 50K miles.
In terms of purchasing through Honda vs. Acura - you have to remember, Acura is Honda - Keep this in mind as well for car service. Your local Honda dealer can likely do any routine service your Acura dealer can but for much less. As far as I know, the only thing, your Honda dealer can't do is warranty related work. Apparently the work has to be done by an actual Acura dealer.
It has been a couple of years but if it helps here is the contact info for who I have dealt with @ Bernardi for extended warranty info:

Juliana Richards
eCommerce Manager
Bernardi Auto Group
960 Worcester Road
Natick, MA 01760
P: 800.455.5905
F: 508.651.1394
Juliana.Richards@BernardiAutoGroup.com
Old 03-11-2015, 10:37 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
NBP is spot on with one exception - the extended warrantywill transfer automatically to the new owner if you sell the car.

I've always bought my warranties (both Honda and Acura) from Saccucci except one time when the dealer matched the Saccucci price.

The cost of buying warranties goes up as the car gets older and the miles rack up - but - you need to consider if you really need a warranty.

Honda/Acura products rarely have catastrophic failures (i.e. expensive) until they get past the 7 year or 120k or so mark. That's why manufacturers make a boatload of money on warranties.

If your car has had few problems in the past few years and you keep your maintenance up to date, then it is unlikely that you'll have problems where the cost of the repairs will exceed the costs of the warranty.

I buy extended warranties because I put 30k to 40k miles on the car in a year, so my warranty is done in a year and a half or so. You have 4 years. I've never used the extended warranty on a Honda/Acura but used it on my Audi. My wife sold her Civic Hybrid in 2008 with 243k on the odometer. We had zero repair bills. The only failure was a O2 sensor at 120k miles that Honda comp'd because it was subject to an earlier TSB. She only sold it because we knew that the battery HAD to die at some point and the trannies in that model (2003) didn't have a good reputation - but we didn't have problems with that yet.

Last edited by ceb; 03-11-2015 at 10:43 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ceb:
JOE COOL (03-13-2015), NBP04TL4ME (03-11-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 03:52 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AcuraCare Extended Warranty

I just purchased one for 8 yrs/120k miles with $100 deduct for $1815 from Bob Leab at Hyannis Honda Care (Hyannis Honda). He sells both Acura and Honda plans.This was on a 15 RDX.

He beat Curry and and Bernardi by $100-200 and I have used him before.

The dealer choked and almost matched it + 9.5% sales tax - NOT.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:43 PM