ILX Aero Kit on RDX

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 08:22 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ILX Aero Kit on RDX

Let me first start off by saying this is just a question...not something I am 100% seriously considering. But if it's possible, I may look in to it.

I've been looking at the front and rear ends of the '16 ILX and RDX and they're pretty similar along the bottom of the front and rear bumpers. I've been wondering if the aero kit for the '16 ILX would fit on the '16 RDX. I've seen a couple posts with people saying the ILX kit is ugly as sin, etc but to me, it doesn't look half bad. I will say it looks much better in some colors over others though. The dealer had a blue A-Spec with the kit on the floor when I bought my RDX and it looked really good. I think it would also look great in black, graphite luster, and maybe in basque as well...white...not so much.

Anyways...anybody have any thoughts on whether this might fit?
Old 08-06-2015, 08:24 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
your first step would be to measure your bumper.

then either visit an acura dealer that sells the aero bumper or aspec bumper or whatever its called and measure it.

OR

you can visit the acura websites which give both cars dimensions and see if it's viable.
hey, its your project, its only fair if you do all the work.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:33 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by justnspace
your first step would be to measure your bumper.

then either visit an acura dealer that sells the aero bumper or aspec bumper or whatever its called and measure it.

OR

you can visit the acura websites which give both cars dimensions and see if it's viable.
hey, its your project, its only fair if you do all the work.
The first one is on my to do list as the dimensions provided on the website clearly do not give the detailed measurements of the bumper design aspects, etc.

I assumed that asking a question on here could also be considered doing my work. Thats why I asked the question. Maybe someone else already had the idea and gave it a shot, or someone else has both a new IlX and RDX that they could go measure up before I had the time to go into the dealership. That's what I thought forums were helpful for.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:54 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
just giving you a hard time.

no harm no foul.

but because these vehicles are so new, you're going to have a hard time finding someone that has done exactly what you are wanting.
essentially, you are the guinea pig
Old 08-06-2015, 10:01 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by justnspace
just giving you a hard time.

no harm no foul.

but because these vehicles are so new, you're going to have a hard time finding someone that has done exactly what you are wanting.
essentially, you are the guinea pig
No worries...I've had a hell of a time on a couple other forums with people being asshats lately. Sorry to take that frustration out on you lol.

I have to head in to the dealer for something in a few days anyway. I'll see if they have a kit there to test fit it. That will tell me if it will work or not the easiest. With my luck, It'll fit, look awesome, I won't buy it right away, and the dealer will start fitting it on RDXs immediately and I'll end up seeing the mod everywhere I go lol.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:29 PM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
It does appear to be similar but doubt it'll be the same dimensions otherwise I would assume Acura would offer it for the 16 RDX as well.

However, I do have a ton of plugs at Acura and called them. My buddy told me to stop by and check it out. They don't stock the kit so I'd have to catch them in between someone ordering and installing which they would do for me. They do have a 2016 Aspec with side skirts only on the lot. If it does work. I'll pull the trigger! I may have to be a Guinea pig!

Also I beg to differ that it won't look good on white. It looks best on white because it shows all the body lines and the carbon contrast. Where as darker colors it won't pop as much.

Last edited by carbonTSEX; 08-06-2015 at 01:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jw_snowman (08-06-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 01:47 PM
The Original Shawdy

Let's compare: looking closely the black grills appear to be thinner. Also the Aspec kit seems to sit onto of the molded part of the ILX bumper.

Name:  EBF227E3-5277-45A9-838F-129D69113F99.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  120.0 KB

Name:  904614BA-D1AC-4314-B4A5-E6443CF03B6D.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  112.5 KB

Here is the two fronts up close. RDX appears to be bigger.

Name:  6B528AE8-4BDD-4BD5-B62A-C990CD652BD6.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  105.1 KB

Name:  97204343-E3A2-42BD-ACC1-0837C29C0303.png
Views: 477
Size:  374.4 KB

If it is possible. It would look bad ass but to me it doesn't look like it's compatible. Doesn't mean it won't work or could be fabricated to fit.
The following users liked this post:
jw_snowman (08-06-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 02:20 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by carbonTSEX
Let's compare: looking closely the black grills appear to be thinner. Also the Aspec kit seems to sit onto of the molded part of the ILX bumper.

Here is the two fronts up close. RDX appears to be bigger.

If it is possible. It would look bad ass but to me it doesn't look like it's compatible. Doesn't mean it won't work or could be fabricated to fit.

Thanks for the detail man! I really appreciate it.

That was my exact thinking as I was comparing pics of the bumpers this morning as well. The ILX's definitely seems thinner and the molded area surrounding it may screw up the fitment on an RDX as well.

As for the white...you're right, it does look good on white too. I've only seen a picture of one white one before and it was the one in the second photo you posted. I don't know what that funky black strip they put on the hood above the grill is but that may be what's throwing it off for me as the first one looks good. The blue one on the showroom floor at my local dealer looked beautiful though. If the ILX was offered in all wheel drive, I may have actually bought it lol. The rumour mill still has an AWD ILX in the works though.

I'm gonna call my dealership. I'm pretty tight with them down there so if they have a spare aero kit in the back, they'll definitely let me test fit it.

Let me know if you end up testing it before I do haha.

Thanks again.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:41 PM
The Original Shawdy

Will do. If Acura did offer the kit for the RDX, MDX and RLX it would give them a more competitie edge with Lexus's F Sport line in terms of looks. Especially since the ILX snd TLX already have it and they are similar to acura's other models.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:11 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Not at all a fan the exterior aero pieces on the A-spec kit. But otherwise that white ILX sure is one fine looking sedan!!

And dammit, they offer the ebony interior with the white exterior in the ILX! I want to kick the guy who decided they won't bring that color scheme RDX to the US.

Last edited by Kaputnik; 08-06-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:48 PM
Cruisin'

Will do. If Acura did offer the kit for the RDX, MDX and RLX it would give them a more competitie edge with Lexus's F Sport line in terms of looks. Especially since the ILX snd TLX already have it and they are similar to acura's other models.
Yeah I totally agree. I would have to think Acura is losing market share to Lexus in the sportier car oriented crowd.

I looked at the new NX Turbo before I bought my RDX. It looks awesome in my opinion, inside and out. The RDX performed a bit better in my opinion though. Much stronger motor.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:50 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Kaputnik
Not at all a fan the exterior aero pieces on the A-spec kit. But otherwise that white ILX sure is one fine looking sedan!!

And dammit, they offer the ebony interior with the white exterior in the ILX! I want to kick the guy who decided they won't bring that color scheme RDX to the US.
Personally I wish they would offer black leather interior on the blue RDX here in Canada. I'm not sure if the U.S. market has that combo or not. I was ready to pull the trigger on a blue RDX u til I learned that the slate interior was the only option with that exterior colour.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:04 PM
The Original Shawdy

I agree we wanted the ebony on WDP as well but wasn't an option. My wife had grown to love the parchment (girl color combo) which is perfect since it's hers. Wish the door panels at least had more contrast. I have ebony on CBP on my TL so that's all that really matters haha. The blue which I like a lot only comes with the greystone interior here in the states. Why Acura limited color combos I will never fully understand. Even as a business marketing student.

I also checked out the NX F sport when shopping before purchasing the RDX. I loved their leather but didn't like the cluster fuck of buttons, no trunk, and no V6. I can not comment on the ride quality because I didn't want to test drive at that point but the RDX was butter and was more spacious.

Yes if I wanted more space I could of went with the RX but that's a different class and the interior and exterior are bland. The 16 RDX advance was perfect for the wife and I.

Last edited by carbonTSEX; 08-06-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:17 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by jw_snowman
The rumour mill still has an AWD ILX in the works though.
That would be such a game changer. At the moment for the same coin, the 280 HP top of the line Honda Accord looks like a better deal than the ILX.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:00 AM
The Original Shawdy

The accord is a better buy. Around the same price and you get more car and just as nice features.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:33 AM
Cruisin'

I agree we wanted the ebony on WDP as well but wasn't an option. My wife had grown to love the parchment (girl color combo) which is perfect since it's hers. Wish the door panels at least had more contrast. I have ebony on CBP on my TL so that's all that really matters haha. The blue which I like a lot only comes with the greystone interior here in the states. Why Acura limited color combos I will never fully understand. Even as a business marketing student.

I also checked out the NX F sport when shopping before purchasing the RDX. I loved their leather but didn't like the cluster fuck of buttons, no trunk, and no V6. I can not comment on the ride quality because I didn't want to test drive at that point but the RDX was butter and was more spacious.

Yes if I wanted more space I could of went with the RX but that's a different class and the interior and exterior are bland. The 16 RDX advance was perfect for the wife and I.
Yep same points notes from me on the NX F sport. The new RX being released now is basically a bigger version of the NX though. Has a similar design inside and out.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:37 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Kaputnik
That would be such a game changer. At the moment for the same coin, the 280 HP top of the line Honda Accord looks like a better deal than the ILX.
Yeah an AWD ILX will be a market leader. They won't be able to build them fast enough.

The other rumour I've heard is that Acura is getting the new Civic Type R engine when it comes out (it's been confirmed that the avatar is coming the North America this time around) and it's going to be put in the AWD ILX. If that happens, that car will be a bad ass and I will be the first one in line to buy one lol.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:13 AM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
The accord is a better buy. Around the same price and you get more car and just as nice features.
And m.y. 2016 comes with Apple Carplay / Android Auto