IPod Nano Unsupported

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 09:40 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question IPod Nano Unsupported

I have a 2017 RDX. I had been listening to music via the USB port from my ipod Nano. Then, for no apparent reason, when I tried to listen, I got the message "unsupported". I have uploaded the latest version of iTunes and have turned the Nano off and on, but no change. I called Acura, and they have no idea. I called my dealer and they have no idea either. Does anyone know why, after 2 years, the device is now unsupported and what can be done to resolve?
Old 05-23-2019, 10:25 AM
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by SFrank
... via the USB port from my ipod Nano... I got the message "unsupported"...
Hi and welcome!

I have seen similar messages on my older iPhone while trying to recharge it, unrelated to car or music, usually goes away for awhile when I get a new cable.

I found a new OEM cable going bad quickly, even without visible signs...a cheap one disabled data transfer right out of package... your situation may be different.

Hope this helps
Old 05-23-2019, 11:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
+1 on Cable

Welcome to AZ
Old 05-24-2019, 04:42 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response. Are you suggesting that if I replace the cable, it will resolve the problem? That was something I tried when the problem came up, and it did not work.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:14 AM
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by SFrank
... no apparent reason...
they have no idea... no idea either...
Just sharing my experience in tracking down a solution on a similar device, similar message, same technology, ymmv:
Cable has 4 tiny wires which can/may/will fail, 2 for power circuit, 2 for data. Until they do, they can malfunction, disrupting the resistance thus the voltage sensed by the software, and you cannot easily see the voltage, or it's disruption.

In my case found a 3$ brand new cable was not able to do data transfer out of the box, and a 25$ one from apple that only worked 3 months.

Other causes for voltage disruptions:
The old iPhone 4S had the wide connector, a toothpick may find a lot of grime in the port on the device, while a needle may remove oxidation off the contact. I did both.
A dollar store multi usb power adapter did not provide the appropriate voltage to devices, could fail without any message. Had to try out others, until I did find a different that controlled the voltage well within specs... was also cheap...

The worst case of having to control the voltage that I am aware of, HAL 9000 computer, kept insisting on working its' mission even with most of the power bank batteries removed.
Hoping you find a solution BEFORE it gets to that point 😁