2017 RDX Just Purchased Looking for Nav Update Guidance

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2020, 04:00 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
2017 RDX Just Purchased Looking for Nav Update Guidance

Just purchased a 2017 RDX. Been searching the web for Nav update information and this is what I have gleaned from my search:

The only place to "purchase" an upgrade disc is, https://acuranavi.navigation.com/.

My questions are as follows:

How often are maps updated. If my vehicle's maps are 4 years old, will I see any significant return on my investment?

The maps are contained on a DVD. I Googled map updates and saw YouTube videos where Acura owners were using a DVD reader located in the trunk. I could not find an external DVD player in my vehicle so the only way to install in the CD player. Is that a correct assumption?

For those that I completed the update, How long did I take and what issues did you encounter?

Thanking you in advance for taking the time to respond.

Old 02-23-2020, 05:40 PM
Touring

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
You're correct on the source for the update unless you can find it on eBay or something. Since you're updating 4 years' worth, you might see some advantage. I've updated my '16 every year - the updates seem to come out annually. From year to year, I haven't seen anything significant, but I haven't done a detailed check. I just like to keep the vehicle current. The first update I did also did a significant update to the navigation software. Your '17 may already have that. If not, you'll get it when you do the new update. The updates come on two DVDs. That's a DVD player in your dash, not a CD player.

I had a hell of a time with the first update - it took about 4 hours. The following ones have taken around an hour. They recommend you run the vehicle while you're doing the update to keep the battery charged. That's a bit idiotic. I put an 8 amp charger on it with the vehicle in the second "accessory" mode, which handled the load just fine. After you install the update, it will slowly decompress itself in the vehicle to finalize the process. There's an indicator on the NAV display of that status. It took 8 hours on my RDX to finish.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:24 PM
Instructor

Thank you for the detailed response. EXACTLY the information I was looking for.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:18 PM
Touring

Originally Posted by fjpthree
Thank you for the detailed response. EXACTLY the information I was looking for.
Here's the version information in case it helps. The disks were labelled "2019 Brown DVD Update 12.500.2"

Old 02-24-2020, 02:28 PM
Instructor

Those numbers are Greek to me. Here is the info I obtained from my system:

Database Ver.ST004.03.00X
Software Ver.200.2805

So comparing your numbers to mine, it APPEARS my system is really out of date. Would you agree?
Old 02-24-2020, 02:31 PM
Touring

Those numbers are Greek to me. Here is the info I obtained from my system:

Database Ver.ST004.03.00X
Software Ver.200.2805

So comparing your numbers to mine, it APPEARS my system is really out of date. Would you agree?
Yes. I'm guessing it's the software it was delivered with.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:32 PM
Instructor

You have been EXTREMELY helpful. Again, Thank you!!!!
Old 02-24-2020, 02:40 PM
Touring

You have been EXTREMELY helpful. Again, Thank you!!!!
Having said all this, the best navigation I've found is Google Maps on my phone. The only reason I keep the NAV up to date is to keep the vehicle current. It's sometimes handy in town on 1/8 or 1/20 to check a turn coming up or to keep track of the big picture on long trips. The Wife's new Civic has Android Auto (don't get me started), although we haven't done much with it. It's a 2-door. The RDX goes on the road trips.
Old 12-29-2020, 02:15 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Install using DVD Slot?

Hey Guys, I'm about to update (hopefully) the nav system on a recently purchased 2018 RDX. I've received the disks. The instructions which came with the discs state, "Insert the map update DISC 1 (Application Update) into the system's disc slot (Do NOT use the DVD player slot)." Like the gentlemen who started this thread, I cannot find a separate nav system unit. So, am I correct in assuming that I use the DVD slot on the dash despite the quoted instruction? Thx!

Old 12-29-2020, 02:58 PM
Touring

Originally Posted by Steve Rait
Hey Guys, I'm about to update (hopefully) the nav system on a recently purchased 2018 RDX. I've received the disks. The instructions which came with the discs state, "Insert the map update DISC 1 (Application Update) into the system's disc slot (Do NOT use the DVD player slot)." Like the gentlemen who started this thread, I cannot find a separate nav system unit. So, am I correct in assuming that I use the DVD slot on the dash despite the quoted instruction? Thx!
That's the only slot I had!
Old 12-29-2020, 06:23 PM
alexmed2002

Received 146 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Rait
On my 2013 I used the CD slot in the middle of the stereo. I'm pretty sure it serves the navigation upgrade discs as well, at least when I upgraded my navigation this year.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:36 PM
Touring

Originally Posted by Alex Medeiros
On my 2013 I used the CD slot in the middle of the stereo. I'm pretty sure it serves the navigation upgrade discs as well, at least when I upgraded my navigation this year.
The 2nd generation RDX's have a different entertainment system that has a DVD slot in that location.
Old 12-29-2020, 10:55 PM
Pro

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts
I'm pretty sure the instructions cover many models. The Acura MDX, Honda Odyssey & Pilot have rear entertainment systems with separate DVD player slots.
The slot above the center touch screen (RDX models after 2016) is for CDs and the navigation software updates. It can probably read a DVD (the format of the maps update)
but the display can't play one.
Old 12-29-2020, 10:57 PM
alexmed2002

Originally Posted by egads
It can probably read a DVD (the format of the maps update)
Bingo. This is what I tried to say earlier.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:02 PM
Touring

Originally Posted by egads
I'm pretty sure the instructions cover many models. The Acura MDX, Honda Odyssey & Pilot have rear entertainment systems with separate DVD player slots.
The slot above the center touch screen (RDX models after 2016) is for CDs and the navigation software updates. It can probably read a DVD (the format of the maps update)
The instructions are specific to the 2G RDX in a booklet that's pretty complete. One thing you need to have is the authorization code that's on the packing slip. Read through what people have written up here. If you leave the engine running for the duration like they instruct, you're going to be idling for an awfully long time.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:04 PM
alexmed2002

Originally Posted by jcross1231
The instructions are specific to the 2G RDX in a booklet that's pretty complete. One thing you need to have is the authorization code that's on the packing slip. Read through what people have written up here. If you leave the engine running for the duration like they instruct, you're going to be idling for an awfully long time.
I had to sit in my car for 3 hours straight with the engine on. That was brutal to say the least.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:13 PM
Touring

Originally Posted by Alex Medeiros
I had to sit in my car for 3 hours straight with the engine on. That was brutal to say the least.
It's a lot easier if you can hook up a battery charger. Not always convenient to do that.
Old 12-30-2020, 05:33 PM
Instructor

2X for the battery charger. $20 on Amazon. That is what I did for my Nav update. All told, took about 1.5 hours.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:19 AM
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
I just updated my 2017 in October. I'm not sure why you had to let your car idle for 3 hours. The installation of the update from the DVDs took about 45 minutes, that is when you need to idle your RDX. Afterwards the maps will update as you drive. That part will take about 3-4 hours. It took mine about a week and a half for mine to finally complete the map update. Not much driving during this pandemic.
Old 01-04-2021, 05:32 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly - I wouldn't bother. When I owned my MDX, I updated my nav in 2010. Guess what - it still didn't include new roads that had been in place in my area for over 5 years! It's only worth it if you don't own a smart phone. And there are plenty of low cost plans that still support older phones (I's still using a an iPhone 6s), that works with Waze or Google maps just fine. Good luck on your choice.
Old 01-04-2021, 06:47 PM
alexmed2002

Originally Posted by scottish_grrl
Honestly - I wouldn't bother. When I owned my MDX, I updated my nav in 2010. Guess what - it still didn't include new roads that had been in place in my area for over 5 years! It's only worth it if you don't own a smart phone. And there are plenty of low cost plans that still support older phones (I's still using a an iPhone 6s), that works with Waze or Google maps just fine. Good luck on your choice.
I was lucky to get my street on the new update. I'd bet all these years later that if you'd still owned it and updated it, you'd get those streets lol.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:47 PM
Instructor

I purchased the 2017 Acura RDX knowing the navigation system is 2015 technology. Honestly, I got sick of using my phone for navigation especially when I have to make calls or send emails (voice to text works very well). I carried two phones during a previous job. Not doing that again. And I didn't want to spend more $$$ for a newer vehicle that may have Android Auto. I'll probably wait a few years for another update.
Old 03-18-2021, 01:38 PM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's a lot easier if you can hook up a battery charger. Not always convenient to do that.
Are you saying that if you hook up a battery charger you don't have to run the engine for 45 minutes or more to update?

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
wsw (03-19-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 01:54 PM
Touring

Originally Posted by Mainecoons
Are you saying that if you hook up a battery charger you don't have to run the engine for 45 minutes or more to update?

Thanks
That's correct. I've got an 8 amp charger. By turning everything off that I could find (AC, fans, lights, etc.) in accessory-2 mode (the mode where everything is "hot" but the engine isn't running), the car drew about 5 amps. The charger kept the battery topped up the whole time.
Just a note on whether the updates are worthwhile or not - I've noticed the same thing in the fact that they're way behind the real world. I've done it just to keep things current. I use a smartphone most of the time. However, if you have a 2016 RDX, the 2017 map update did more than just update the database. There was an update to the navigation software itself that was a noticeable improvement in functionality. Unfortunately, it's still slow as hell. Acura should have opted for more processor than they thought they needed or put Android Auto in.
Old 03-18-2021, 02:08 PM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's correct. I've got an 8 amp charger. By turning everything off that I could find (AC, fans, lights, etc.) in accessory-2 mode (the mode where everything is "hot" but the engine isn't running), the car drew about 5 amps. The charger kept the battery topped up the whole time.
Just a note on whether the updates are worthwhile or not - I've noticed the same thing in the fact that they're way behind the real world. I've done it just to keep things current. I use a smartphone most of the time. However, if you have a 2016 RDX, the 2017 map update did more than just update the database. There was an update to the navigation software itself that was a noticeable improvement in functionality. Unfortunately, it's still slow as hell. Acura should have opted for more processor than they thought they needed or put Android Auto in.
Wow, great response, thank you. I have a 2018 model (late 2017 actually) that I am going to update to the 2020 maps. I hope pushing the radio butten will satisfy the radio code as there is no radio code with the car and given I am in Mexico there is no possibility of getting it.

Old 03-18-2021, 02:09 PM
alexmed2002

I had to sit in my car for 3 hours with the engine running. Never again lmao.
Old 03-18-2021, 02:27 PM
Touring

Wow, great response, thank you. I have a 2018 model (late 2017 actually) that I am going to update to the 2020 maps. I hope pushing the radio butten will satisfy the radio code as there is no radio code with the car and given I am in Mexico there is no possibility of getting it.
When I did the first update in 2017, there was a lot of debate at the dealer about the radio code. They claimed the 2G RDX didn't have one. It took a while to convince them it did. They had to call the factory to get themselves straightened out. Something had gone wrong with that first update where the system asked for it rather than accepting the button push. That update took 4 hours - on a 102° day in Wichita. It would be handy to have that information before you start the update just in case. You can get the radio code here:
https://radio-navicode.acura.com/
You'll need the VIN and the device serial number. From memory, I don't remember how you get the device serial number. It's on one of the screens in "Settings".
wsw (03-19-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 04:20 PM
Instructor

When you order the map updates, you will need the database version, Device number and VIN number. They give you directions to find this information. https://acuranavi.navigation.com/pro...fromModel=true

As I mentioned earlier, the initial installation of the navigation system update and database takes about 45 minutes. After this, the map database will continue to update AS YOU DRIVE. There is no need to let the car idle for another 3 hours, unless you want. The navigation system does move faster but like someone mentioned above, you need more processor speed to make this system as fast as we are all used to on our phones.

I likely won't update the navigation system again.
wsw (03-19-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 04:02 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

Where is the NAV DVD located in 2017 RDX Tech???

Thanks,
Steve
Old 05-24-2021, 04:31 PM
Touring

Originally Posted by stephenpeterson
Hi,

Where is the NAV DVD located in 2017 RDX Tech???

Thanks,
Steve
Not sure of your question. The DVD drive is the slot above the radio display head to the right of the volume knob. The DVD itself is something you purchase. They come as a 2 DVD set. The installation process transfers the data on the DVDs to the hard drive.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:00 PM
Pro

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts
This^^^

The current system does not have as dedicated drive or keep a disk in place.
By the way, the hard drive also keeps a copy of the cds you play. You only have put them in once.
Old 09-09-2021, 04:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2X for the battery charger. $20 on Amazon. That is what I did for my Nav update. All told, took about 1.5 hours.
Could you please share a link to the battery charger that you used. I just placed the order for 2021 map update DVD
Old 02-18-2023, 12:04 PM
DCS
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
When I did the first update in 2017, there was a lot of debate at the dealer about the radio code. They claimed the 2G RDX didn't have one. It took a while to convince them it did. They had to call the factory to get themselves straightened out. Something had gone wrong with that first update where the system asked for it rather than accepting the button push. That update took 4 hours - on a 102° day in Wichita. It would be handy to have that information before you start the update just in case. You can get the radio code here:
https://radio-navicode.acura.com/
You'll need the VIN and the device serial number. From memory, I don't remember how you get the device serial number. It's on one of the screens in "Settings".
I'm considering a Nav update and based on possibly needing a radio code and not having the original labels(with codes) attached anywhere in the car or owner's manual I was finally able to retrieve the codes using the steps below and using the DEVICE number for the nav and radio serial numbers at the myacura.com website. Calling the dealer and contacting Acura wasn't of any help, dealer was a waste of time and Acura sends out outdated information for my 2016 RDX w/Tech to retrieve the codes. DEVICE number = serial number for nav and radio, use it for either or both to get the codes. I haven't actually tried out the codes yet but expect they'll work if needed, will try the codes before any Nav updates. It sure would be less of a hassle if Acura would update the information on the myacura.com website on how to retrieve the serial numbers for the nav and radio units. This is the same outdated information they send out if you contact them too.

This information is needed to order nav update software and as a bonus it will help you get the nav and radio codes if you don't have the original ID code stickers, which I didn't have. FINDING YOUR SYSTEM INFORMATION

To complete purchase of this map update, you will need your Database Version, Device Number and VIN.

You will be able to locate all of these numbers from a single location. Please follow the steps outlined below.

1. Turn on ignition and allow navigation system to complete the start-up sequence
  2. Press the SETTINGS button
  3. Press SYSTEM SETTINGS on the navigation screen
  4. Press OTHER on the navigation screen
  5. Press SYSTEM/DEVICE INFORMATION on the navigation screen
  6. The following information appears. You can print a copy of this page and record the values here:

Database version __ __ __ __ __ . __ __ . __ __ (enter periods, case-sensitive)
Device number __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ (11 digits, not case-sensitive, NO Dashes/Hyphens)
VIN __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ (17 digits, not case-sensitive)

Use the Device number returned from System information as the serial number for nav and radio unit to retrieve the codes at myacura.com.