New to Acura - about ready to spring for a '17 RDX Advance

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016 | 08:35 PM
Pro

New to Acura - about ready to spring for a '17 RDX Advance

Hey, all.

New to to the Make and forum and wanted to get some feedback on the width of the 2017 RDX. Went up to Chevy Case Acura in Bethesda, Maryland, and ogled the new RDXs and even took one out for a spin. Stunningly beautiful car and drove very, very nice.

My garage is one of those with pillars between two separate garage doors. What do you all think about maneuvering the RDX into and out of the garage (driving in or backing in) with the entrance measuring about 91-1/4 inches (~7.6 feet)? I know the Acura website says the car is 73.7" wide, but a customer service person I called on their toll-free number said that doesn't include the side view mirrors. I was like, really?

Anyway, my current car is a 2011 Mazda CX-9, which is able to get in but must be careful backing out or else I could clip the side view mirrors. Forget about backing in. You can, but not easily, to put it mildly.

What do you all think about the 2017 RDX and my garage? I want this car! Got a good offer on a 2017 White Diamond Advance Package AWD and a decent trade-in allowance.

Thanks for for any thoughts on this!
Old 08-15-2016 | 09:26 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by birdonamission
Hey, all.

New to to the Make and forum and wanted to get some feedback on the width of the 2017 RDX. Went up to Chevy Case Acura in Bethesda, Maryland, and ogled the new RDXs and even took one out for a spin. Stunningly beautiful car and drove very, very nice.

My garage is one of those with pillars between two separate garage doors. What do you all think about maneuvering the RDX into and out of the garage (driving in or backing in) with the entrance measuring about 91-1/4 inches (~7.6 feet)? I know the Acura website says the car is 73.7" wide, but a customer service person I called on their toll-free number said that doesn't include the side view mirrors. I was like, really?

Anyway, my current car is a 2011 Mazda CX-9, which is able to get in but must be careful backing out or else I could clip the side view mirrors. Forget about backing in. You can, but not easily, to put it mildly.

What do you all think about the 2017 RDX and my garage? I want this car! Got a good offer on a 2017 White Diamond Advance Package AWD and a decent trade-in allowance.

Borrow the car and try it out.
Old 08-15-2016 | 11:21 PM
Racer

Shouldn't be an issue if you can fit a CX-9 in there. Just need to be careful. Backing into a garage is easy if you have backup cameras

Also, Chevy Chase really isn't competitive in pricing IME -- Pohanka beat their price by a couple thousand on a couple occasions (and Chevy Chase literally scoffed and said they won't match their price). I've heard some really competitive pricing coming from Rosenthal as well (couple times heard of them beating Pohanka's pricing and Pohanka not beating them). Go through the internet department (I have an internet dept sales person I bother when I consider buying an Acura at Pohanka if you want his info, PM me) as they are usually based on the number of cars they sell rather than profit per car (the finance/warranty side, that's another story)
Old 08-16-2016 | 05:29 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ceb
Borrow the car and try it out.
Ummm... 2 problems.

1. Don't know anyone who owns an RDX. Nor an RDX with an owner. Not on my street nor anywhere. Co-workers, friends, family...no one, nowhere.

2. Ever heard of any car rental company that has Acuras in their fleet? Exactly.

Pretty incredible, though, is the guy at the dealership who offered to bring an RDX to my house - about 1-1/4 hours away. I'm not that desperate yet to have this guy carve 2-1/2 hours out of his day for that when I can first take measurements and also ask some questions to total strangers on an Internet message board who might give me some on-the-street Intel maybe based on actual personal experience.
Old 08-16-2016 | 05:52 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by CTNYC
Shouldn't be an issue if you can fit a CX-9 in there.
This is my thought exactly but just wanted to hear some comments because the reason I'm getting a smaller vehicle in the first place is because of the maneuverability issue. The RDX is definitely smaller HxWxL-wise, but the added inches from the side view mirrors when added to the posted width on the Acura site sort of compromises things some (not a showstopper to me). My wife, who is usually right about things, just wants me to be sure...lol

As to backup cameras, no problem there. The Advance trim is loaded for bear...lol. Even has those parking sensors front and back, which will definitely help.

Pohanka and Rosenthal...when did they become Acura dealerships? Never came up when I was looking for something closest to where I live in Charles County. I even got hits on Northern Virginia dealerships, which I sort of crossed out. Thanks for the PM offer. I'll let you know (or send one maybe).

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2016 | 08:24 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Ummm... 2 problems.

1. Don't know anyone who owns an RDX. Nor an RDX with an owner. Not on my street nor anywhere. Co-workers, friends, family...no one, nowhere.

2. Ever heard of any car rental company that has Acuras in their fleet? Exactly.

Pretty incredible, though, is the guy at the dealership who offered to bring an RDX to my house - about 1-1/4 hours away. I'm not that desperate yet to have this guy carve 2-1/2 hours out of his day for that when I can first take measurements and also ask some questions to total strangers on an Internet message board who might give me some on-the-street Intel maybe based on actual personal experience.
You answered your own question. If the only outstanding issue is the garage door, then have the dealer bring it by. Better yet, drive there and drive home with the dealer sitting in the passenger seat if he doesn't want you to take the car yourself. That'll give you an extended test drive both directions AND see if the thing fits in your garage.

Or you could ask a bunch of random people on the internet their opinion. I have two single garage doors and any RDX loaner I've ever had fit just fine, but I haven't measured the doors. It also depends upon how much driveway you have - only you can figure that out - nobody else.

But I fully realize that taking a Saturday off to see if a car that you'll need to live with for many years is way too big of an investment.

I say it won't fit, buy a Smart instead. End of thread.
Old 08-16-2016 | 08:35 AM
3rd Gear

I just measured my 2017 Advance and got 86 1/2" from mirror to mirror so based on your garage dimensions you'll have about 2"+ clearance on each side. To gain a few more inches you could just fold (manually ) the drivers side mirror. Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
birdonamission (08-16-2016)
Old 08-16-2016 | 09:20 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by cheuer
I just measured my 2017 Advance and got 86 1/2" from mirror to mirror so based on your garage dimensions you'll have about 2"+ clearance on each side. To gain a few more inches you could just fold (manually ) the drivers side mirror. Good luck!
THIS. Perfect - just exactly what I was hoping to get on here. Wow, thanks for taking the time to measure precisely and the photo. 2-some inches is plenty, as far as I'm concerned. Good tip on folding the driver's-side mirror, if necessary.

I think Acura owes you a gift basket or something. You probably just sold a (pretty expensive) car for them...lol!

Hey, thanks again. This is great - I appreciate it.
Old 08-16-2016 | 09:26 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ceb
You answered your own question. If the only outstanding issue is the garage door, then have the dealer bring it by. Better yet, drive there and drive home with the dealer sitting in the passenger seat if he doesn't want you to take the car yourself. That'll give you an extended test drive both directions AND see if the thing fits in your garage.

Or you could ask a bunch of random people on the internet their opinion. I have two single garage doors and any RDX loaner I've ever had fit just fine, but I haven't measured the doors. It also depends upon how much driveway you have - only you can figure that out - nobody else.

But I fully realize that taking a Saturday off to see if a car that you'll need to live with for many years is way too big of an investment.

I say it won't fit, buy a Smart instead. End of thread.
Oh, a Smart would definitely solve any and all maneuverability issues forever. For some reason, though, I'm thinking an RDX is just a slightly nicer car.
Old 08-16-2016 | 09:46 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Oh, a Smart would definitely solve any and all maneuverability issues forever. For some reason, though, I'm thinking an RDX is just a slightly nicer car.
Probably true. I'd still try the car before you plunk your money down.

Actually, it might be easier to back in if you have enough driveway to back straight in. The backup camera with the lines is very helpful and I prefer backing in to tight spaces - once I verified the lines and got used to trusting them.
Old 08-16-2016 | 10:06 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ceb
Probably true. I'd still try the car before you plunk your money down.

Actually, it might be easier to back in if you have enough driveway to back straight in. The backup camera with the lines is very helpful and I prefer backing in to tight spaces - once I verified the lines and got used to trusting them.
The length of my driveway to the street is about 100 feet and it's fairly wide - not overly so. To further describe, I always drive the CX-9 in (I use Garage Door No. 2 [right side]), and when I back out to leave, I always do a 3-point turn, and there's plenty of room for that.

I know, the ideal thing is to try an actual RDX... Thanks.
Old 08-16-2016 | 10:27 AM
Racer

This is my thought exactly but just wanted to hear some comments because the reason I'm getting a smaller vehicle in the first place is because of the maneuverability issue. The RDX is definitely smaller HxWxL-wise, but the added inches from the side view mirrors when added to the posted width on the Acura site sort of compromises things some (not a showstopper to me). My wife, who is usually right about things, just wants me to be sure...lol

As to backup cameras, no problem there. The Advance trim is loaded for bear...lol. Even has those parking sensors front and back, which will definitely help.

Pohanka and Rosenthal...when did they become Acura dealerships? Never came up when I was looking for something closest to where I live in Charles County. I even got hits on Northern Virginia dealerships, which I sort of crossed out. Thanks for the PM offer. I'll let you know (or send one maybe).
Thanks!
Oh wow Charles County is out there - the closest dealership to southern MD would probably be Karen Radley out in Woodbridge, VA (co-worker said that they were very friendly, but not competitive on pricing for the MDX they recently bought -- Their Radley dealership in Falls Church isn't great for service, very small, uncomfortable and slow the one time I went there) YMMV with the Radley auto group though.

Pohanka and Rosenthal have been dealerships for a long long time. Pohanka has a bunch of dealerships on the beltway in PG county, but their only (but world's largest) Acura dealership is out in Chantilly (right by Dulles airport). Rosenthal is a bit further from you -- a bit past Rockville. Maybe they weren't on your radar because they're both probably over an hour away on a good day, but never hurts to get an online quote from them. (Keep in mind, Pohanka's doc fee is $599 while Rosenthal's doc fee is capped ~$300 by the state of MD).

Last edited by CTNYC; 08-16-2016 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-16-2016 | 10:44 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Oh wow Charles County is out there - the closest dealership to southern MD would probably be Karen Radley out in Woodbridge, VA (co-worker said that they were very friendly, but not competitive on pricing for the MDX they recently bought -- Their Radley dealership in Falls Church isn't great for service, very small, uncomfortable and slow the one time I went there) YMMV with the Radley auto group though.

Pohanka and Rosenthal have been dealerships for a long long time. Pohanka has a bunch of dealerships on the beltway in PG county, but their only (but world's largest) Acura dealership is out in Chantilly (right by Dulles airport). Rosenthal is a bit further from you -- a bit past Rockville. Maybe they weren't on your radar because they're both probably over an hour away on a good day, but never hurts to get an online quote from them. (Keep in mind, Pohanka's doc fee is $599 while Rosenthal's doc fee is capped ~$300 by the state of MD).
Rosenthal is on I-270 and 355 in Gaithersburg, so about 20 minutes past Chevy Chase. Pohanka (in Chantilly) has the best prices if you negotiate well (even if you figure in the higher doc fee). Pohanka is also open for service 7 days a week with a boatload of loaners.
Old 08-16-2016 | 11:58 AM
Pro

Thanks, fellas.

Yeah, I'm down in Charles County....so close, yet so far away. So as the crow flies, Woodbridge is actually not that far away, ~10.5 nautical miles. There's just this one big natural obstacle (for us earth-bound creatures) called "The Potomac River" in the way...lol. I'd just as soon take the Virginia options out, anyway. I get 4K UHD nightmares thinking about having to run out to Chantilly / Dulles for anything. Chevy Chase / Bethesda is far enough - I get palpitations thinking of Gaithersburg.

My offer is about $3,100 less than the ~$45,000 MSRP for the Advance. That plus the trade-in allowance and cash down (and 1.99% interest from Pentagon FCU) for 60 will have at below $400 a month, which I'm comfortable with.
Old 08-16-2016 | 12:32 PM
Instructor

That's a good offer. You might get it accepted being close to Labor Day or at least as the days get closer to the end of the month.
We caved and bought when the advance thru Costco was so close in price to a loaded tech package that we did all our research on.
Old 08-16-2016 | 02:26 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Himecraig
That's a good offer. You might get it accepted being close to Labor Day or at least as the days get closer to the end of the month.
We caved and bought when the advance thru Costco was so close in price to a loaded tech package that we did all our research on.
Actually, that's their offer to me. I sent them an email today about something that wasn't adding up on their offer sheet. How I will proceed depends majorly on their response back to me. Ah, the fun of making a big ticket purchase - only compares to buying s house. Now that's all kinds of fun.

Anyway, I've pretty much decided I will be a 2017 Acura RDX Advace Package owner. It's now just a matter of deciding who's going to get my business.
Old 08-16-2016 | 03:07 PM
Instructor

you say their offer or your offer 'is about $3,100 less than the ~$45,000 MSRP for the Advance.'

Either way not a bad price and hope it fits nicely your space!
Old 08-16-2016 | 03:54 PM
Pro

Watch out for doc/dealer fee.
Old 08-16-2016 | 04:38 PM
Pro

you say their offer or your offer 'is about $3,100 less than the ~$45,000 MSRP for the Advance.'

Either way not a bad price and hope it fits nicely your space!
I should've said it's their offer to me. Sorry for the confusion. And, thanks!
Old 08-16-2016 | 04:42 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by dirleton
Watch out for doc/dealer fee.
Already figured that in. Maryland caps that fee at $300. It's ~twice that next door in Virginia.
Old 08-16-2016 | 05:43 PM
Instructor

I'm another wishful too bad the mirrors don't fold member.
i was thinking at the minimum the parking sensor should beep as you past by the column and the same for backing out.
so far ive only noticed beeps when approaching shelfs in front about 18in away and the interior mirror indicator will stay lit as I pass by some boxes.
Old 08-16-2016 | 06:29 PM
Drifting

Hey, all.

My garage is one of those with pillars between two separate garage doors. What do you all think about maneuvering the RDX into and out of the garage (driving in or backing in) with the entrance measuring about 91-1/4 inches (~7.6 feet)? I know the Acura website says the car is 73.7" wide, but a customer service person I called on their toll-free number said that doesn't include the side view mirrors.

Too bad you cannot get the Canadian edition which has power folding mirrors. I doubt it would be an issue anyway.
Old 08-16-2016 | 07:04 PM
Racer

And you have to ask yourself if you really want to fold the mirrors every time you leave the garage. That could get old pretty fast.
Old 08-16-2016 | 10:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by snorf
And you have to ask yourself if you really want to fold the mirrors every time you leave the garage. That could get old pretty fast.
nope...I asked myself a couple of times and I still would want folding mirrors as an option
Old 08-17-2016 | 08:21 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ceb
Rosenthal is on I-270 and 355 in Gaithersburg, so about 20 minutes past Chevy Chase. Pohanka (in Chantilly) has the best prices if you negotiate well (even if you figure in the higher doc fee). Pohanka is also open for service 7 days a week with a boatload of loaners.
yup -- Just know of Rosenthal -- Someone on the forum got an ILX offer that Pohanka wouldn't match (IIRC, like $400 or $500 lower even factoring in the doc fee) and another member had a similar experience, never went to them or interacted with them. Pohanka's service department has won me over - Not the cheapest for service, but the no appointment + late hours + loaners (I swear that they literally have more loaners than some CT dealerships have in new inventory).

I've only dealt with Pohanka's internet sales department. I offered $1k lower + remote start on their price, they really wouldn't budge off their initial quote, literally said that they'll be there when I'm ready to purchase (They were pretty confident in their pricing for a reason!)... Given that it was a good deal -- roughly $381/mo before tax for a 3/15k lease with only first month + registration at signing for a $40k MSRP V6 Tech-- (but still not amazing in my book) I held off for a couple weeks and got an incredible deal on my Volvo S60 -- $46k+ MSRP for $367/mo + tax -- same terms as the TLX, only first month + registration at signing.
Old 08-17-2016 | 09:45 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by BLEXV6
Too bad you cannot get the Canadian edition which has power folding mirrors. I doubt it would be an issue anyway.
What, Canada has this and we don't??
Old 08-17-2016 | 08:03 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

yup -- Just know of Rosenthal -- Someone on the forum got an ILX offer that Pohanka wouldn't match (IIRC, like $400 or $500 lower even factoring in the doc fee) and another member had a similar experience, never went to them or interacted with them. Pohanka's service department has won me over - Not the cheapest for service, but the no appointment + late hours + loaners (I swear that they literally have more loaners than some CT dealerships have in new inventory).

I've only dealt with Pohanka's internet sales department. I offered $1k lower + remote start on their price, they really wouldn't budge off their initial quote, literally said that they'll be there when I'm ready to purchase (They were pretty confident in their pricing for a reason!)... Given that it was a good deal -- roughly $381/mo before tax for a 3/15k lease with only first month + registration at signing for a $40k MSRP V6 Tech-- (but still not amazing in my book) I held off for a couple weeks and got an incredible deal on my Volvo S60 -- $46k+ MSRP for $367/mo + tax -- same terms as the TLX, only first month + registration at signing.
Funny. My sister had leased two RLs and a TSX fro Rosenthal and Pohanka was a $100 a month cheaper than Rosenthal on her ILX lease. But you're completely right - Pohanka's initial offers were very high. It wasn't until they heard the Rosenthal numbers that they came up with the better price. They are a pain in the ass to deal with but ultimately will give you the best price - we walked out twice..
Old 08-17-2016 | 09:23 PM
Racer

Hey, all.

The RDX fits fine in a standard single car garage door (I'm sure they're all made to the same standard width - whatever that is). I have a 3-story tall townhouse which is very narrow and tall and it has a single car wide garage door and the RDX fits without issue. That said, you need to go slow and be careful each time you pull in/out, but you'll have 2+ inches on either side of each of the mirrors (I never collapse them). Sometimes, I pull forward/back 1-2 times just to make sure I'm not going to cut it too close and clip a mirror, but as long as you're careful you'll be fine.
Old 08-18-2016 | 05:22 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by snorf
No, it got old just thinking about doing that each and every time. Already not doing that for the CX-9, so there should be less reason to do that with the smaller RDX.
Old 08-18-2016 | 05:29 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by jkozlow3
The RDX fits fine in a standard single car garage door (I'm sure they're all made to the same standard width - whatever that is). I have a 3-story tall townhouse which is very narrow and tall and it has a single car wide garage door and the RDX fits without issue. That said, you need to go slow and be careful each time you pull in/out, but you'll have 2+ inches on either side of each of the mirrors (I never collapse them). Sometimes, I pull forward/back 1-2 times just to make sure I'm not going to cut it too close and clip a mirror, but as long as you're careful you'll be fine.
OK, so this is good to know. That's what I do now - ease in and ease out, using all mirrors and the backup camera. The CX-9 does not have parking sensors so the RDX having some is that much more of a plus. Thanks!
Old 08-18-2016 | 10:25 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ceb
Funny. My sister had leased two RLs and a TSX fro Rosenthal and Pohanka was a $100 a month cheaper than Rosenthal on her ILX lease. But you're completely right - Pohanka's initial offers were very high. It wasn't until they heard the Rosenthal numbers that they came up with the better price. They are a pain in the ass to deal with but ultimately will give you the best price - we walked out twice..
Maybe that's why we had different experiences - I tend to find that if you're in their showroom, they already see you as a potential sucker and try to rip you off (no offense to you or your sister in any way). Now I simply go to the most convenient dealership, test drive the car(s) I'm interested in, then leave. Once I figure out what car/model/trim/color combo I want, I simply cast a wide net and email the internet sales department for dealerships (factoring in doc fees/other fees), before TTL and go to the cheapest one. If your ducks are all in a line, you should be able to walk in and drive out in 30-60 minutes. Pohanka's internet department seems to be upfront and offer their lowest (or almost lowest) price and are very aggressive with pricing... I've heard of people buying remotely from NY or even the midwest and having their car shipped from them.
Old 08-18-2016 | 10:05 PM
9th Gear

I picked up my 17 AWD Advance about a week ago. I love the features in the SUV. Power folding mirrors are definitely on the to-do list. Your fitment will be tight but doable. What I really like about the RDX is the 3 different camera angles. You can get a standard view from the license plate, then a wider view from the plate, and lastly you get a straight down view in case you need to back into a tight spot or attaching a trailer.
Old 08-19-2016 | 08:30 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BooBooKaki
I picked up my 17 AWD Advance about a week ago. I love the features in the SUV. Power folding mirrors are definitely on the to-do list. Your fitment will be tight but doable. What I really like about the RDX is the 3 different camera angles. You can get a standard view from the license plate, then a wider view from the plate, and lastly you get a straight down view in case you need to back into a tight spot or attaching a trailer.
I thought about what it would take to add power folding mirrors and the mod would go all the way to getting a new bezel and switch on the arm rest.
I'm in an urban environment and having folding mirrors is a courtesy and a must in tight spaces.

Hope you enjoy your new 2017- seems like I try one new tech feature every drive.
Yes, need getting used to the backup camera.
Also I noticed the distorted driver mirror angles down when in reverse, whereas on my other cars the passenger side goes down which is handy when parallel parking sighting in a curb or debris...lol city lyfe

Last edited by Himecraig; 08-19-2016 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-19-2016 | 09:19 AM
Pro

OK, so this is good to know. That's what I do now - ease in and ease out, using all mirrors and the backup camera. The CX-9 does not have parking sensors so the RDX having some is that much more of a plus. Thanks!
i thought I'd post some photos of my garage and the 2011 Mazda CX-9 that the new RDX will be replacing...just to give an idea.

Driveway, facing the street.
Old 08-19-2016 | 12:34 PM
Pro

I thought about what it would take to add power folding mirrors and the mod would go all the way to getting a new bezel and switch on the arm rest.
I'm in an urban environment and having folding mirrors is a courtesy and a must in tight spaces.

Hope you enjoy your new 2017- seems like I try one new tech feature every drive.
Yes, need getting used to the backup camera.
Also I noticed the distorted driver mirror angles down when in reverse, whereas on my other cars the passenger side goes down which is handy when parallel parking sighting in a curb or debris...lol city lyfe

The left-center-right mirror switch controls which mirror (if either) angles down in reverse. Try reading the manual.
Old 09-01-2016 | 10:00 PM
Pro

Well, I got her (yesterday). Ended up getting the Advance in Fathom Blue Pearl with Graystone Leather. I waited a bit because she was coming from Ohio on a trailer (6 miles on the odometer). Believe I got a great deal - $351 for 60 months (after trade, downpayment, $750 military discount, and $500 rebate). Basically the walk-out-the-door price was $41,709 (before dealer processing and sales tax). I was pre-approved by a credit union at 1.99%, but with their incentives I didn't mind going with Acura financing, even at 2.9%. Plus they threw in all-weather mats for free and let me buy the cargo tray and net both for only $150 (Acura.com's MSRP is $135 just for the tray and $50 for the net).

Not the best photo since it was indoors and at night...

The following users liked this post:
a35tl (09-09-2016)