handling and body roll

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 01:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
handling and body roll

Hi.. looking at 2013 RDX, how well does it handle in the corners?
I heard they softened it up for this year..

I plan to drive a bit of mountain roads with it. Does it still feel like a car ? I get motion sickness if it's too much of a driving on clouds feeling.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
RDXAWD...You should take one for a test drive. It is almost impossible for anyone to describe something as subjective as a ride feel. I like my RDX but it sure does not handle the same way as my SH-AWD TL.....one is very close to the ground while the other one is further off the ground. The RDX is still a great vehicle but you have to limit your expectations...a CUV will never out handle a vehicle (when sticking with the same brand....I mean my RDX handles better than a Hyundai accent!
Old 06-21-2012, 03:38 PM
Intermediate

I am trying to get a test drive but the local dealer didn't have one yet!

for example the CRV is really alot of movement for me and the Rav 4 drives exactly like a corolla only higher (bearable)
the CX5 drives great.

I hope it is not like the CRV..
Old 06-21-2012, 03:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Try the Rav4 SPORT....that suspension is much firmer and handles pretty good! The RDX is much softer than its previous generation and on top of that, it lost its SH-AWD so purist will say the RDX is a step backward. For me, I like my TL for spirited driving and the RDX when I just want to have a nice comfortable drive
Old 06-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
It's NOT like the CRV. I've owned 3...now trading in my '11 EX-L for my new RDX. Had an 07 and 09 CRV. The RDX is based...basically on the CRV platform.....BUT....the RDX suspension has features that the CRV doesn't have, or different settings for the suspension....and the RDX does a great job of being comfortable, quiet, and still handles pretty darn good. Yes, the previous RDX was tight, stiff, etc, so it did carve the curvy roads pretty well. But, it rode pretty hard. Depends on what's most important to you. But, overall, this new RDX is a great SUV for the money.

Now that I'm the age I am...and have owned many new cars....I kinda got to the point where I wasn't too excited any more over a new vehicle. This RDX I can get excited about! It looks much better in person than in pictures. I like my CRV's for what they are, but, this RDX looks fantastic. Sure, we all want this or that changed or tweaked....or why didn't they do this or that.....but, overall......the "like list" is much longer than the "don't like" list.

If I want to really have fun with power and handling I have my '12 Accord Coupe, V6. With the Conti DWS tires I put on it really does handle and has very little body roll....but, at the same time it has a great ride. Great job Honda did with the 5th year of this body platform. Change comes with the '13 this Fall.

Hey weather....want to race that TL?? LOL! My friend has a Type S and it rides hard, but, a nice car. Heavier than my Coupe. Almost the same engine. I just have less hp.
The following users liked this post:
RDXAWD (06-21-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 05:52 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
It's NOT like the CRV. I've owned 3...now trading in my '11 EX-L for my new RDX. Had an 07 and 09 CRV. The RDX is based...basically on the CRV platform.....BUT....the RDX suspension has features that the CRV doesn't have, or different settings for the suspension....and the RDX does a great job of being comfortable, quiet, and still handles pretty darn good. Yes, the previous RDX was tight, stiff, etc, so it did carve the curvy roads pretty well. But, it rode pretty hard. Depends on what's most important to you. But, overall, this new RDX is a great SUV for the money.

Now that I'm the age I am...and have owned many new cars....I kinda got to the point where I wasn't too excited any more over a new vehicle. This RDX I can get excited about! It looks much better in person than in pictures. I like my CRV's for what they are, but, this RDX looks fantastic. Sure, we all want this or that changed or tweaked....or why didn't they do this or that.....but, overall......the "like list" is much longer than the "don't like" list.

If I want to really have fun with power and handling I have my '12 Accord Coupe, V6. With the Conti DWS tires I put on it really does handle and has very little body roll....but, at the same time it has a great ride. Great job Honda did with the 5th year of this body platform. Change comes with the '13 this Fall.

Hey weather....want to race that TL?? LOL! My friend has a Type S and it rides hard, but, a nice car. Heavier than my Coupe. Almost the same engine. I just have less hp.
Very insightful, thanks
so you know what I was talking about then. The floating feeling that is in some luxary car like the Lexus RX. So disconnected and disengaging that makes you fall asleep.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:17 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
the RDX does not have that floaty feeling you are speaking of. I have had it on some pretty curvy roads and it feels really good for a SUV.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:28 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Well, I don't consider the RDX suspension as "floating"....but, again, probably the best of both worlds....Handles well and rides well.
All I can say is...try it out. I'm sure the RDX is not everyone's cup of tea. But, for many it appears, it's strikes a nice balance for the money. You can pay more $$ for another type of SUV...and that's what's great...there is a price range for everyone and different characteristics to go with each one.

To me...an SUV....medium size or large....is not supposed to handle like a Corvette. I had one....fun, but, no room!!! But, it was a weekend play car. For everyday type driving..or of course trips....I like the SUV's...sitting up higher, seeing what's up ahead better, etc, etc. The RDX.....for 2 people is just the right size. Then occassional "guests" can be comfy in the back seat. Lot's of hauling space, etc.

They are selling all they can get their hands on. Mine has been in the showroom all week....and I was told they could have sold it many times over! I knew that since most are sold before arrival. And that Pearl White sure looks good.

They have way outsold the previous RDX many times over already. I'd say it's a hit for Acura.

One of the top guys at my dealer has an NSX with 30,000 miles. A 1999 I think. I LOVE those cars. Acura hit it out of the park with the NSX. Ahead of it's time. The fun factor, handling, etc, is just great. Not the highest horsepower around....doesn't have to be to be a great sports car.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Colorado Guy....I'll pass on racing my TL. Despite enjoying pushing the car in twisty roads, I am not a huge fan of harsh accelerations. I must be getting older too....
Old 06-22-2012, 12:08 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Hey weather...it won't break!! Got to have fun once in awhile and enjoy their capabilities. I run my Accord Coupe up the RPM scale with the paddle shifters to really get it going. I like that surge of power. Anyway....you won't even bring yours out to drive...hardly...let alone having a little fun! I used to be as anal as you when it came to taking care of my cars. And....to an extent I still am.....but, I'm getting a little older and the effort...is...well....an effort!! LOL!

But, I've learned that even though they are nice and we really like (love) them....they are still metal, and rubber, and plastic....and there is always another one to be had. Don't get me wrong...I don't abuse or trash my cars at all. But, you certainly aren't going to hurt them by letting them "stretch their legs" once in awhile. Good for them actually. Tells the computer other things besides driving like Grandma around town. Helps get those cylinder walls cleaned out. Putt putting around town does them more harm than good. Seriously!

I did a 130 mile round trip today in my Accord Coupe. In the 75 mph stretch a big Audi was pushing me hard. I was in the fast lane doing 75 passing slower guys. I got tired of his Audiness in my mirror, so I nailed it, ran it up to about 95 and left him back aways. Just wanted him to know the Honda had a little something for him. It's fun. That's what having fun cars is all about. Got to let them "run" once in awhile. Gets the adrenalin going. Some years ago I had a Turbo Supra. Great car. I was driving to Vegas cruising about 75 or so. Some guy in a Corvette wanted to play....so we "took off"....up the freeway we went. Nice and straight. Not many cars going North. I pulled away from him and when I hit 120 I decided to shut it back down. Besides, my girlfriend at the time was giving me the "eyeball." LOL!!
DubSilk (06-22-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 03:00 AM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
I think you'd get more motion sickness if the suspension is stiffer (higher G force), but then again that jiggling feeling from soft suspensions makes me sick too. If spirited driving is what you're after, i'd suggest looking at another car because, well, it's a crossover.

The new 3 series with the 4 banger is brilliant. I'd definitely take a second look at it and put it high up on my list if you want a comfortable ride, but often have spurts of spirited driving.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:15 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Domm
I think you'd get more motion sickness if the suspension is stiffer (higher G force), but then again that jiggling feeling from soft suspensions makes me sick too. If spirited driving is what you're after, i'd suggest looking at another car because, well, it's a crossover.

The new 3 series with the 4 banger is brilliant. I'd definitely take a second look at it and put it high up on my list if you want a comfortable ride, but often have spurts of spirited driving.
There is a 2012 3 Series sedan in my household.....in my opinion, that car is overrated. The steering feel/handling is not as good as it used to be. The brakes aren't that great with long stopping distance, especially in the rain. Plus, every new BMW now has these low rolling resistance "run flats" that make handling worse and there is NO spare tire. All in the name of fuel economy, they ruined the dynamics of that car. I must admit though, other than the fact that the 4-cyl is unrefined and has that diesel clatter, it revs like nothing I have ever seen, lol. He has also had a few problems already with reliability in two months, mostly electrical/computer....though in German cars its quite the norm, unfortunately. My .
Old 06-22-2012, 08:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Hey weather...it won't break!! Got to have fun once in awhile and enjoy their capabilities. I run my Accord Coupe up the RPM scale with the paddle shifters to really get it going. I like that surge of power. Anyway....you won't even bring yours out to drive...hardly...let alone having a little fun! I used to be as anal as you when it came to taking care of my cars. And....to an extent I still am.....but, I'm getting a little older and the effort...is...well....an effort!! LOL!

But, I've learned that even though they are nice and we really like (love) them....they are still metal, and rubber, and plastic....and there is always another one to be had. Don't get me wrong...I don't abuse or trash my cars at all. But, you certainly aren't going to hurt them by letting them "stretch their legs" once in awhile. Good for them actually. Tells the computer other things besides driving like Grandma around town. Helps get those cylinder walls cleaned out. Putt putting around town does them more harm than good. Seriously!

I did a 130 mile round trip today in my Accord Coupe. In the 75 mph stretch a big Audi was pushing me hard. I was in the fast lane doing 75 passing slower guys. I got tired of his Audiness in my mirror, so I nailed it, ran it up to about 95 and left him back aways. Just wanted him to know the Honda had a little something for him. It's fun. That's what having fun cars is all about. Got to let them "run" once in awhile. Gets the adrenalin going. Some years ago I had a Turbo Supra. Great car. I was driving to Vegas cruising about 75 or so. Some guy in a Corvette wanted to play....so we "took off"....up the freeway we went. Nice and straight. Not many cars going North. I pulled away from him and when I hit 120 I decided to shut it back down. Besides, my girlfriend at the time was giving me the "eyeball." LOL!!
I agree with all..except I'll never let a unmodded Toyota pull me in my Vette..lmbo
Old 06-22-2012, 01:12 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by madrye28
There is a 2012 3 Series sedan in my household.....in my opinion, that car is overrated. The steering feel/handling is not as good as it used to be. The brakes aren't that great with long stopping distance, especially in the rain. Plus, every new BMW now has these low rolling resistance "run flats" that make handling worse and there is NO spare tire. All in the name of fuel economy, they ruined the dynamics of that car. I must admit though, other than the fact that the 4-cyl is unrefined and has that diesel clatter, it revs like nothing I have ever seen, lol. He has also had a few problems already with reliability in two months, mostly electrical/computer....though in German cars its quite the norm, unfortunately. My .
I agree that the switch the electrical steering has made steering numb with little feedback and the RFT has always been a downer for me, making the ride rough and ruining the dynamics. I have a 2012 528i and compared to my Mercedes C300, the engine 4 banger is brilliant compared to the NA V6. The handling is much better than a Mercedes. BMW remains on top, maintaining their "Ultimate Driving Machine" advertisement even though they watered the handling down a bit for comfort/luxury. The interior is much better compared to the previous ones.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Suzuka Master

I used to be as anal as you when it came to taking care of my cars. And....to an extent I still am.....but, I'm getting a little older and the effort...is...well....an effort!! LOL!
Hey, I agree fully with your post and I appreciate your input. Don't me wrong, I do open the TL from time to time but I guess I could do it a bit more often. I really enjoy reading your posts BTW, they are quite thorough and very informative....I am glad your bought your RDX as it made you a valuable Acurazine contributor and providing other members good info

Now I must say that I was laughing when I read your the quote above...about you being as anal as me but you loosened up with age....I was going to say, isn't that part of what happens when you get old...the anal cavity loses its retention *LMAO* (just shitting with you....oups, no pun intended) - Good humour comment inserted here
Old 06-22-2012, 04:44 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Thanks weather very much. I appreciate your comments about any contribution I might be able to offer. Everyone has a unique background, and collectively we are a pretty smart bunch!! LOL! Little wacky here and there....but, all in all, a much better group of folks than the Honda sites I was on. They were a mean bunch if you "crossed" them in any way!
Always wanted to "challenge" and fight over issues.

Hey, I'm still stumped over this DVD-A....or whatever the heck it is...and being able to listen to true 5.1 surround sound. I will "inquire" with my Acura guy tomorrow when I PICK UP MY NEW PEARL WHITE BABY!!!!!! Everything is ready to go. Insurance....XM, which I have an ongoing account with for both my cars. They like me...or my money...so much, that I only pay 1/2 price for both cars each year that I renew. Been with them since my 07 CRV. Got my accessories in the garage from Bernardi's. I've got my stuff together! LOL!

My Honda Certified accessories installer will put my body side mldgs. and clear door edge guards on sometime next week. Got to call him...just forgot! OK...I'm not totally together...but, close.

You guys are more fun, easier to talk with. None of us has all the answers....and we all have our faults...but, it seems like we all have great intentions. And that is what counts.
weather (06-22-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 08:58 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by RDXAWD
Hi.. looking at 2013 RDX, how well does it handle in the corners?
I heard they softened it up for this year..

I plan to drive a bit of mountain roads with it. Does it still feel like a car ? I get motion sickness if it's too much of a driving on clouds feeling.
I have owned three cars with superb handling and high performance. A 1963 Triumph TR3, a 1986 Fiero GT and my wife's 2007 Eclipse GT. All can/would take a 55 mph curve at 80 mph with no strain. Does the 2013 RDX compare? No. But it is more than adequate. I routinely drive curvy, steep and narrow mountain roads on my way to/from the local ski resorts. I have driven my AWD Tech to two different resorts in the last month just to see how it handled. No problem, very comfortable and competent. The speed limit on these roads is 40 mph. I could easily do 60 mph when I felt like chancing a speeding ticket.

Try a test drive if you can. If not, don't worry about the 2013 RDX AWD "floating" on mountain roads.

Good luck, Jim
Old 06-22-2012, 09:54 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^ off topic I know but did you ever test drive the TL with AWD? What an incredible handling machine....
Old 06-22-2012, 10:06 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Domm
I agree that the switch the electrical steering has made steering numb with little feedback and the RFT has always been a downer for me, making the ride rough and ruining the dynamics. I have a 2012 528i and compared to my Mercedes C300, the engine 4 banger is brilliant compared to the NA V6. The handling is much better than a Mercedes. BMW remains on top, maintaining their "Ultimate Driving Machine" advertisement even though they watered the handling down a bit for comfort/luxury. The interior is much better compared to the previous ones.
Agreed 100%. especially how they upped the ante on the interior, it is all soft touch materials, even down in the map pockets, the glove box, where my RDX is all hard plastics. The Anthrecite wood grain is pretty awesome too.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:08 AM
Intermediate

I was able to test one it was OK but not too exciting. It is nice on the freeway. It does feel better than the CRV.

All the reviews I read says it is quiet, if quiet means the engine is quiet then yes, engine was a littled muted, but you still hear everything else, so it was not as quiet as I expected.

Overall liked the car wished it was better in the driving "feel", wasn't expecting a sports car.. but just my opinion though.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:09 AM
Intermediate

By the way I feel the wind noise was quite a lot..
Old 06-23-2012, 08:59 AM
Advanced

To me, the Acura is a prefect blend of ride/handling. But as other have said on this board, that is VERY subjective. Have you tried looking at the BMW X3 or Audi Q5? Too me, they are horribly expensive and their ride, especially on the X3, is lackluster at best. I haven't driven the Audi, but it may be more of what you are looking for if the ride quality is not high on your list. Taut ride is fine, so long as where you live is bump/pothole free.