Auto Fold Mirrors on Lock?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 08:54 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Fold Mirrors on Lock?

2016 RDX canadian has a button in the door armrest to fold in the side mirrors but I can not find a way to make them automatically fold in when the vehicle is locked (and unfolded when unlocked). I thought that was what most vehicles did to protect their mirrors?

If it can be done by a button, why can't it be done automatically? Settings>Vehicle software upgrade to add the option somehow?
Old 11-02-2015, 12:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 911 Likes on 694 Posts
Originally Posted by tbilrdx
2016 RDX canadian has a button in the door armrest to fold in the side mirrors but I can not find a way to make them automatically fold in when the vehicle is locked (and unfolded when unlocked). I thought that was what most vehicles did to protect their mirrors?

If it can be done by a button, why can't it be done automatically? Settings>Vehicle software upgrade to add the option somehow?
Try these 2 things.

Press the lock button on the door handle twice quickly and see if it folds the mirrors.

Press the lock button on the keyfob twice quickly and see if that works.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:34 PM
2nd Gear

No pressing twice doesn't do anything but beep. And unlocking doesn't unfold them if they are folded. (Pressing twice just unlocks all doors). It would need to be an option, as one might not want to unfold the mirrors until out of the garage.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:05 AM
Suzuka Master

No pressing twice doesn't do anything but beep. And unlocking doesn't unfold them if they are folded. (Pressing twice just unlocks all doors). It would need to be an option, as one might not want to unfold the mirrors until out of the garage.
Weird, every other modern car that I have had, you would lock/unlock the mirrors via the double tap. I guess this is more of the old school setup where you have to manually do it. Maybe check the manual, could be a configurable item.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:34 PM
7th Gear

I noticed this too. It would be so much better if you can set it to automatically fold but I could not find a setting for this either. I also have the CDN version. I'm hoping it's something we just missed.

Croyd

Old 11-09-2015, 05:37 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Trick I found:

1 - park car
2 - Press mirror fold button. Let mirrors fold all the way
3 - Press start/stop to shut it down
4 - Press mirror fold button. Mirrors won't unfold.
5 - Get out
6 - Lock doors

When I get into car:

1 - Unlock door
2 - Hold brake and press start button
3 - Mirrors unfold on their own.

Not exactly what I expected but this hack is good if you're worried about the mirrors not auto-unfolding.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:11 AM
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Weird, every other modern car that I have had, you would lock/unlock the mirrors via the double tap. I guess this is more of the old school setup where you have to manually do it. Maybe check the manual, could be a configurable item.
I've never had a car or truck that did that. I never fold the mirrors in. Why is it so important?
Old 11-10-2015, 11:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by markAZ
I've never had a car or truck that did that. I never fold the mirrors in. Why is it so important?
It is important for when you get into a tight parking spot, into a smaller garage, or when parked on the side of the road and you fold it in to lessen the chance of it getting hit by some idiot. I even remember once where some guy was seriously blocking traffic and I had to get around him, it was so tight that I literally had to fold my mirrors to slip by him.

You might be thinking, can't you be inside the car and just press it manually, yes, but then there will be times were you forget to press it and have to get back in the car and do it. It is also more streamlined when it can auto fold and unfold with the car. Is it something you can live without ABSOLUTELY!, just something I think all luxury cars should have.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:04 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RDX10
It is important for when you get into a tight parking spot, into a smaller garage, or when parked on the side of the road and you fold it in to lessen the chance of it getting hit by some idiot. I even remember once where some guy was seriously blocking traffic and I had to get around him, it was so tight that I literally had to fold my mirrors to slip by him.

You might be thinking, can't you be inside the car and just press it manually, yes, but then there will be times were you forget to press it and have to get back in the car and do it. It is also more streamlined when it can auto fold and unfold with the car. Is it something you can live without ABSOLUTELY!, just something I think all luxury cars should have.
I'll add: The RDX mirrors are pretty big. Well, at least compared to most cars. So folding them does save some space. And if you do take it off-road, folding the mirrors might allow you to get between some trees that would otherwise put nasty scratches on those turn signal lenses.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:38 PM
7th Gear

Interesting. But I guess you have to do this every time?

Croyd

Originally Posted by JACN
Trick I found:

1 - park car
2 - Press mirror fold button. Let mirrors fold all the way
3 - Press start/stop to shut it down
4 - Press mirror fold button. Mirrors won't unfold.
5 - Get out
6 - Lock doors

When I get into car:

1 - Unlock door
2 - Hold brake and press start button
3 - Mirrors unfold on their own.

Not exactly what I expected but this hack is good if you're worried about the mirrors not auto-unfolding.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:57 AM
Advanced

It becomes a routine after a while.

1 - press mirror button
2 - Press stop buton
3 - press mirror button

Wish it were automatic but this sort of works in the meantime.