bc coils or function form?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014 | 02:31 PM
Racer

bc coils or function form?

finally modified the CLS, but I need to go lower so I was hoping to find someone around the sf bay area with either bc racing coilovers (extreme drop preferred) or ff type 1 or 2 so i could feel the stiffness and or comfort or if anyone has gone this low or owns bc's, please chime in with thoughts/comments thanks

the rear is tucked in the 2nd pic because of the angle pulling out of my driveway, that's the intended/goal height it will be all the way around

Old 01-25-2014 | 03:20 PM
Finally Registered

I had function and form type 1 and they suck. One of the coils blew just under a year. Luckily I was under warranty. The ride quality also sucks. Just my opinion.

I think I was your car around at target serramonte couple of weeks ago. We should do a photoshop one day lol.
Old 01-25-2014 | 03:22 PM
Registered Member

Good looking car. What are you dropped on now?

I'm sure most all would agree, BC>FF all day long if you can afford them.
The following users liked this post:
CL SpeedsteR (01-25-2014)
Old 01-25-2014 | 05:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by o0o0o0
I had function and form type 1 and they suck. One of the coils blew just under a year. Luckily I was under warranty. The ride quality also sucks. Just my opinion.

I think I was your car around at target serramonte couple of weeks ago. We should do a photoshop one day lol.
Yeah I've heard different things about FF, rides like crap etc. but then again its so subjective, ones meaning of stiff is the meaning of soft to the next guy, I'm always at serramonte target, yeah lets do a shoot, do you drive a TL?

Originally Posted by AustinTaper
Good looking car. What are you dropped on now?

I'm sure most all would agree, BC>FF all day long if you can afford them.
Thanks. Its dropped on Ground Controls with Koni Yellows, rides pretty comfortable, but just doesn't go down low enough the way I want. I will have this set up for sale if interested.

Ok BC it is then with Extreme Drop, I'll repost once I get them.
Old 01-25-2014 | 09:23 PM
Finally Registered

Originally Posted by CL SpeedsteR
Yeah I've heard different things about FF, rides like crap etc. but then again its so subjective, ones meaning of stiff is the meaning of soft to the next guy, I'm always at serramonte target, yeah lets do a shoot, do you drive a TL?

Thanks. Its dropped on Ground Controls with Koni Yellows, rides pretty comfortable, but just doesn't go down low enough the way I want. I will have this set up for sale if interested.

Ok BC it is then with Extreme Drop, I'll repost once I get them.
Nope, not a TL. I have a white CLS6.

I may be interested in the ground controls and konis at the right price lol.

Yeah I saw your car and it looked clean, I miss my old black cls.
Old 01-25-2014 | 10:43 PM
Racer

Nope, not a TL. I have a white CLS6.

I may be interested in the ground controls and konis at the right price lol.

Yeah I saw your car and it looked clean, I miss my old black cls.
Oh you got a white CL, think I seen you, its lowered on Type S wheels?

Absolutely, p.m me, the Koni's are like new, its my weekend car. I have some other parts too, cleared headlights etc.
Old 01-26-2014 | 03:28 PM
Finally Registered

Nope, I'm on volk wheels. PM'd you.
Old 01-26-2014 | 06:11 PM
Racer

Nope, I'm on volk wheels. PM'd you.
PM sent dude.
Old 02-26-2014 | 10:13 PM
1st Gear

CL SpeedsteR, just curious. What tire and wheel setup are you running out of curiousity? I'm trying to get my Type S set up, and yours is looking dope.
Old 03-02-2014 | 12:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by backtothefuture93
CL SpeedsteR, just curious. What tire and wheel setup are you running out of curiousity? I'm trying to get my Type S set up, and yours is looking dope.
Thanks, I sold these last week for a more aggressive set, but they are XXR 962 19x9.5 +35 with a 225/35/19 stretch. Here's a few more shots I took before I got rid of them

Back to stock wheels until new ones get here

Old 03-07-2014 | 11:53 AM
Lone Wolf

Looks better with stock wheels.

I would get bc over function form. Function form are junk, but if all you do is slam it and drive slow not sure which go lower or if it matters.
Old 03-07-2014 | 05:37 PM
In search of excitement

How do BC's stack up against the XLR8 coil overs? Which one would be better for a sportier set up?
Old 03-19-2014 | 01:21 PM
Instructor

I thought you could drop the car to the floor with GC Coils? Do they not go low enough?

Originally Posted by kingofdust
How do BC's stack up against the XLR8 coil overs? Which one would be better for a sportier set up?
I can't speak for either of those brands, but I have experience with Tein's coils.I got lucky and get a used set of Tein SS's on ebay for $350 when I had my first CL. They never blew, and my car was slammed.

Tein basic's can be had brand new for $650, that's a great value. The only disadvantage is you lose strut adjust-ability.

ISC and BC ect have an advantage with extremely adjustable struts, and height adjustment not only at the perch but also the shock body.

Spring rates are what you really want to look at. How much comfort are you willing to sacrifice for keeping the car flat during turns?

For our heavy coupes, rear sway bars can provide just as much of an improvement as coils do. A FAT rear sway bar will keep the rear flat in a turn more than stiff coils and the stock rsb would.

/end rant. Hope I helped someone out with this post.
Old 06-17-2014 | 03:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by brian6speed
Looks better with stock wheels.

I would get bc over function form. Function form are junk, but if all you do is slam it and drive slow not sure which go lower or if it matters.
Thanks for your opinion. I went with BC 18k front 16k rear. Yeah, don't really care for comfort, just the VIP look. Stay tuned for that.

Originally Posted by kingofdust
I can't speak on XLR8, but BC's are solid, but then that's subjective from person to person. If you want comfort and don't plan on static slamming, the GC/Koni set up is fluffy and comfortable for a sportier set up.

Originally Posted by 01CLinprocess
I thought you could drop the car to the floor with GC Coils? Do they not go low enough?
Yeah, no you cannot. If you do a search, you can see how low I was on those on stock wheels and up there on these 19's, that was max low. The ride height in this thread on my stock wheels was already on my BC's so its a lot lower than GC/Koni.

Last edited by CL SpeedsteR; 06-17-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-17-2014 | 03:25 PM

BC and ISC are the only two coilovers that have a full threaded shock body.

not sure about the ISC, but the BC, you can customize spring rates.
Old 06-18-2014 | 10:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by justnspace
BC and ISC are the only two coilovers that have a full threaded shock body.

not sure about the ISC, but the BC, you can customize spring rates.
Our XLR8 ISC coilovers have a fully threaded shock body and we offer different spring rates depending on the customers' needs.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (06-18-2014)