Speedometer not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 03:13 PM
CL-S 6Speed is rarely in

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Speedometer not working

Well I finally got the navi working last week. I tapped the vss wire on the cruise control unit and it started routing and worked flawlessly. However, yesterday, the speedo stopped working. I disconnected the VSS wire from the cruise control harness thinking maybe that was the problem. Still didn't work. I left the wire disconnected and have driven about 65 miles since the problem started and it never came back. I checked all my fuses, but there doesn't seem to be one for the speedo or vehicle speed sensor. There is no check engine light either. I did a search and found some similar posts but they were years old and had no answer to the problem. I did some research and it looks like the CL has several different sensors for the vehicle speed. Some in the ABS system and in the trans. Anyone else have a solution to this problem? All sugestions are welcome... TIA.

Joe
Old 04-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
not sure but try PMing Nic. he did the navi conversion in his CL
Old 04-03-2009, 03:20 PM
CL-S 6Speed is rarely in

Thanks I will. Don't know his username though....or is it NIC?
Old 04-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Missing My CL-S

sorry, i should have wrote his username. Nic is nbennettksu, the guy who scares away all the little Asian girls
Old 04-03-2009, 06:17 PM
CL-S 6Speed is rarely in

Speed Sensor Location

Small Update:

I disconnected the battery cables for about an hour to reset the ecu, and still no speedo. I called the dealer service department to see it they would have an idea of what it might be and maybe and estimate but they said they never heard of this problem before and that I could bring it in to have it looked at for the tune of $109.00. Thats my VERY LAST resort. Only thing I can think is that maybe the Navi system hooked into the cruise control circut fried a vehicle speed sensor. So in trying to eliminate which one, I would assume if it was one of the spped sensors from the ABS system, it would throw and ABS light or engine light. Anyone know how many sensors the 6-speed tranny has and where? I found from searching that the auto has 2 sensors but I couldn't find any info on the manual tranny. TIA

Joe

PS-- Thanks SG81
Old 04-03-2009, 10:57 PM
CL-S 6Speed is rarely in

Sorry for the constant updates, I just want to keep all who read this informed. After talking this over with my buddy who is an electrical engineer, we came to the conclusion that the Vehicle Speed Sensor may not be the culprit. His theory is that if there was a short, the ecu sensitivity is higher than the speed sensor and is more susceptible to failure. I have another ECU that I'm gonna try and test this weekend.

Joe
Old 04-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Missing My CL-S

i'm curious, lets us know what happens with the new ECU
Old 04-06-2009, 05:48 PM
CL-S 6Speed is rarely in

Swapped in the ecu today, but the car wouldn't start. Its from a 03 manual CLS part number 37820-pge-a11. I know the car it was pulled from started up and ran fine right before it was pulled. Any ideas why it's not starting?
Old 04-06-2009, 06:08 PM
CL-S 6Speed is rarely in

....5 min EDIT rule....

The car cranks but does not start. Almost like there is no spark or fuel.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Cause you can't just swap the ECU. The car has the chipped key's. It's set to the old ECU. In order to get the ECU working you need the stock security system to be reprogrammed to the new ECU. Only a dealer can do that I heard not sure however.

Instead of all this did you happen to test the cluster? With a meter or test light. Maybe the wire is out or the cluster has a problem. I would think that if a speed sensor failed a CE would be thrown & your cruise wouldn't work.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:45 PM
CL-S 6Speed is rarely in

Pulled the gauge cluster out yesterday and checked all connections visually. Didn't see anything wrong.

I have the wiring diagrams for the entire car and traced out the VSS wire. Looks like the wire comes from the ECU to junction connector C454 below the center of the dash. Couldn't find it. Out of the connector comes connections to the Climate Control, Driver Memory Seat and Navigation, Cruise control, Drivers Multiplex Control Unit, and Gauge Assembly.

Looked for a signal at the Climate Control Unit and didn't find one. Cruise is non-functional. I kinda assumed the speedo was OK and just had no signal. I have the key and gauge cluster from the other car.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:20 PM
CL-S 6Speed is rarely in

Let me just say that this problem has me super stressed out. That being said here's what I've done so far.

I tested for a VSS signal at the gauges, climate control and cruise control. Nothing. (The navigation system has been disconnected since this problem started.) I tried to test for a signal at the ECM but I have run into a problem. In a test procedure that I found for the VSS, it says to test pin 16 of connector A on the ECM. It says the wire should be blu/wht. On my connector it is wht/blk.

Also, my wiring diagrams (for the Manual Transmission CL) show that the ECM has two connectors, A (31pins) and B (24 Pins). 4 pages later it shows another connector, E (31pins). I only have two connectors on my ECM. The pin outs of my connectors match the diagram showing connectors A and B. Niether connector has a blu/wht wire. Also, my diagrams don't show a VSS out. However, on connector E, it shows a VSS out on pin 26. Where the hell is connector E at?

I am at my wits end here so any help is GREATLY appreciated. TIA.

Joe
Old 04-11-2009, 10:05 PM
CL-S 6Speed is rarely in

Update:

Today I went nuts taking the car apart to find this problem. I found connector E on the ECM. I wasn't looking far enough behind the dash. Also found out that the manual trans has a Countershaft Speed Sensor that sends the pulse for the VSS. I disconnected this sensor during my testing to rule it out as a problem.

I disconnected the Climate Control, Cruise Control, all ECM connectors and the gauges. Also found the junction connector C454 for the VSS signal behind the radio. With the junction connector connected, I have a steady 4.6 volts at the Gauges, Climate Control, Cruise Control and ECM connectors for the VSS signal.

The junction connector has 4 pins for the VSS. With the junction connector disconnected, I checked for continuity between Gauges, Climate Control, Cruise Control and ECM. I found that the Gauges and the climate control have their own separate pins on the junction. When I checked continuity on the ECM and Climate control, I found they are on the same pin. The third pin must be for the driver multiplex unit and/or the driver memory seat. I can't find a pin out for junction connector c454 to know for sure. With the junction connector disconnected, the ECM and Climate Control are the only pins showing 4.6 volts. Anybody with a service manual or similar have the pinouts for Junction Connector C454? I obviously have a short somewhere between the Climate Control and the ECM connector just not sure where to start. If there is something else tied into the same pin, I could start the process of elimination. TIA.

Joe
Old 04-13-2009, 04:15 PM
CL-S 6Speed is rarely in

FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just in case anyone was reading and following this thread, I fixed the problem. I went over ALL my wiring from the navigation conversion and made sure everything was perfect.

Today I went to the local locksmith and had them cut me a key without a transponder. I have two extra ECM's with their properly coded keys. So I took one of the ECM's and installed it. With the fresh cut non-transponder key in the ignition, I held the transponder key for the ECM next to the ignition. At first it didn't work. I found the trick was to insert the key with the transponder key next to the ignition and start it right away and it would start.

I had recently purchased a newer navi disk and now that my VSS signal is working again, I was able to finally test my Navigation install. The system works better than expected. It knows exactly where I am with no lag or delay.

Moral of the story: Check all your wiring when attempting something like this. My own stupidity caused me to fry the pin on the ECM and pull my hair out for 10 days!
Old 06-25-2012, 02:06 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
which wire on the cruise control is vss what the color code
Old 06-25-2012, 02:06 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guess she is back from the dead now