How To Shut Off SRS Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 03:34 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How To Shut Off SRS Light

Supplies Needed: 2 wires OR I would suggest 2 Alligator Clips (Radio Shack).

Steps:

1) In order to find the MES Connector on an Accord or CL, you have to be on your back and looking up at the fuse box. There are two plugs that are both yellow with green wires coming out of them, but the looms around the wires are yellow. The smaller of these two plugs is the MES Connector. They are located above the hood release latch and plugged into the backside of the fuse box. Once again, the smaller (upper) plug is the MES Connector.

2) Clip one alligator clip to one of the prongs and the other alligator clip to the other prong. If you're using 2
strands of wire, you won't be clipping, but twisting or shoving the wire into the respective prongs.

3) Hold the two ends of your wire together, so that they are now connected.

4) Keeping the wires connected, turn the ignition on (Do NOT start your car).

5) The SRS light comes on for about 6 seconds and then goes off. Quickly
disconnect the two wires.

6) The SRS light will come on again. Quickly reconnect your wires.

7) The SRS light goes off. Disconnect your wire connection.

8) If you did this correctly, the SRS will blink twice.

9) Turn the ignition off and wait 10 seconds.

10) Turn the ignition on, thus starting your car, and hopefully the SRS light will now be off.

11) Turn your car off, assuming the above instructions worked and your SRS light is off. If not, either retry the
instructions and/or verify that nothing else is wrong.

11) Remove your wires, do not cross them at all or let them touch. Replug the yellow/green connector back into
the "dummy harness".
Problems?
- You only have a 4 second window to connect/disconnect the wires. Example: when the SRS light comes on in
Step 6, you have 4 seconds to reconnect the wires.

- Make sure you have the right connector and that a module or some other part of the SRS system is not
malfunctioning.

- It took me 2 tries to get it right. The main thing to remember is that the wires need to be connected when the
light is on, disconnected when the light is off.

- You can E-Mail me if you still need help:
Email - mjhaughey@yahoo.com
The following users liked this post:
tommystyle86 (10-13-2011)
Old 10-04-2008, 02:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
great post, another reason this forum is great.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:07 PM
01 Type-S, Sexy Silver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
funny you brought this up, just did this this morning...
Old 10-05-2008, 12:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
And Voila, you have no air bags if you get into an accident....

Please no one follow this for long term fixes. If you try doing this to sell a car and the driver who purchases the car with the notion that the air bags are functional, you may be held liable if an accident occurs and no air bags deploy.

Stupid Stupid if you don't get your air bag fixed, i know its a lame part with the SRS, but its needed.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:42 AM
666 Speed

^So its OK for honda to do this but not ok for you to do it?
Asked a Honda tech not to long ago how he went about "fixing" my SRS light.
He told me the same procedure. And OMG, the light came back on for the same thing less than a week later. turned out it was the OPDS (i might have the acronym wrong) computer and they "cleared" the code to see if it was actually what they thought...

Last edited by artbran; 10-05-2008 at 01:44 AM.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:59 AM
01 Type-S, Sexy Silver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Acura dealer wanted $100 bucks to "diagnose" the problem... my battery was weak and it caused the SRS light to come on (yeah, go figure). Thx to azine, it wasn't too hard to figure out myself. The reset procedure works if there isn't anything wrong with the SRS system. If there's a fault, the light will come back on within a couple of days.

Last edited by disgruntlednut; 10-05-2008 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:43 PM
Suzuka Master

yup, this is a great post to reset your light to test if you there is anything wrong. i reset it and the light came back on as soon as i put it into drive. now i'm off to figure out what it could be. chances are it's either a sensor or the seatbelt system, as i don't see how an air bag could go 'bad'. i would never think to sell a car with a faulty airbag system. my car sat for a couple months and i replaced the battery and main relay, an acura tech told me the light sometimes comes on and to try to reset it. thanks for implying that i'm unethical, but you have no clue what your talking about.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Sorry, I forgot you have dubbed yourself the airbag guru. You do realize Clean that there are other people posting on this thread and its not all about you.

It was a general question and I never said the actual airbag would go "Bad". Its obvious that these cars have problems with the OPDS sensors and if this is the issue and the SRS light comes on, your airbags will not deploy.

So maybe if you reread my original post you will not be so testy.

Because maybe you aren't unethical, but after seeing people trying to put mismatched tires, bald tires, bad brakes and other retarded things to their car, Im pretty sure someone resetting their SRS light over and over isn't out of the realm or reality.

So maybe its you who have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Suzuka Master

this post has been up since august and i reply... and in my signature it says my car is for sale, and your reply mentions if you are doing this to sell a car... what am i to infer?

either way i still think is a good post. it's easy for lights to come on unnecessarily so this is a good way to test if it's a real problem or not. as i and someone else mentioned, if there is a real problem, the light will essentially come back on right away.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Fair enough, but I know your car ability from previous posts and I know you wouldn't short cut on something such as this.

It was a coincidence that my statement coincided with you selling your car, but it does not pertain to you in general. It was a generic comment meant to ward off idiots who think this reset is meant to be used over and over.

Yes its a useful post if this is a one time reset, I can agree with that.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:48 PM
Sundance Gold in

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by pits200
And Voila, you have no air bags if you get into an accident....

Please no one follow this for long term fixes. If you try doing this to sell a car and the driver who purchases the car with the notion that the air bags are functional, you may be held liable if an accident occurs and no air bags deploy.

I am sorry to say that, but what you are saying is a BS. This procedure is for a module reset, not SRS bypass or some hack to trick computer not to detect borken SRS components. Its 100% legal Honda/Acura service procedure and we do it so frequently because of bad design of OPDS system which actually had been recalled and trust me nobody will ever get liable for doing that except maybe Honda for manufacturing crap!

Last edited by celynka; 10-14-2008 at 11:53 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:42 AM
i heart latin chicks

Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts
Hmm... my shit was under warranty I had the same issue, took it to Ak, they got me a ride back to work and then came and picked me back up... I just had to sign the warranty papers...
Old 09-22-2011, 04:41 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just want to say thanks for the tip i work for a large retailer and we trip light sometimes this one was on an 99 tl and worked great once again thanks
Old 09-23-2011, 11:59 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I reset my SRS light about a month ago using only a paper clip. The SRS light came on after I replaced my driver side window motor. It turned out to be simple to reset.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by celynka
I am sorry to say that, but what you are saying is a BS. This procedure is for a module reset, not SRS bypass or some hack to trick computer not to detect borken SRS components. Its 100% legal Honda/Acura service procedure and we do it so frequently because of bad design of OPDS system which actually had been recalled and trust me nobody will ever get liable for doing that except maybe Honda for manufacturing crap!
My SRS light has been on forever. So this is a known issue? What are the years of the recall and will Acura then check & repair it for free? Mine's an '01 so I'm guessing it's no longer under warranty.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
just did it right now, Mine turned on after doing a led conversion for my gauges, now hopefully it wont turn back on and it will be good to go