My Build Thread - bordering on more BS! 56K Beware

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010 | 12:23 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

lol
Old 12-21-2010 | 12:39 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Nothing special, 2.5" all the way back. XS headers (now with new and improved cracks!!), Magnaflow high flow cat, CT b-pipe, Magnaflow 28" resonator to kill the drone, and CT axle backs.

The 3.2s wont respond as well as the 3.6s (they dont really need all the air, but it does help to open them up). I forgot to mention that the Accords with the larger intake are 3.5/3.6s. If you look at most of the dynos, the power tends to die off around 5-5500rpms. The larger intake helps that out.

And oddly enough, I was running the cold air extension up until about a month ago when I switched back to short ram setup and the car feels faster Its not just more responsive, but it pulls harder at all rpms as well. Im sure the cold air extension would prove to be better in the dead of summer when its 100* plus the engine heat, but for now the short ram is the better choice for me.

The EMS was supposedly coming out for the 6MT and it was actually looking pretty good. But I recently spoke with someone that is very close to both Hasport and AEM and they said AEM has no intention to make it available for our sensor set. So my only option at the moment is to convert my sensors and engine harness. My biggest concern with it however is keeping the cluster fully functional. But I intend on accomplishing that.

My motor is pulling timing and the fuel maps could be cleaner (the EMS would allow me to run a wideband on each bank for more precise fueling). Im thinking theres still about 10-20hp still to get out of it with a nice tune.

The one thing Im really looking forward to with it is increased fuel economy. What Im getting now isnt bad, but the build Accords are pulling mid to high 30s on the highway. My AFRs are all over the place while cruising due to the narrow band sensor we have and I notice that it dips down into the high 13s at times. I also notice that I do begin to run a bit rich when it starts to pull timing (sometimes down to 11.9-12.2). So Im definitely in need of a tune.

I did have an issue shortly after we installed the intake where for some reason VTEC wouldnt engage until ~5200rpm or so. I thought that maybe the pulley on the throttle body was too large and the TPS wasn't seeing full throttle, but that wasnt the case. At the time I wasn't running an IACV because the vacuum from the intake would hold it open. Paul figured out a way to make it work and for some reason since then VTEC has been engaging at the correct RPMs. It doesnt make sense to me as to why it would do that, but it works properly now so Im not complaining.
i think it may have to do with fuel atomization, and it does not do it too well with the air being too cold (i have also noticed my car seems to pull better with like 40-50 degree weather, compared to say like 35 degree weather)
Old 12-21-2010 | 01:03 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Nothing special, 2.5" all the way back. XS headers (now with new and improved cracks!!), Magnaflow high flow cat, CT b-pipe, Magnaflow 28" resonator to kill the drone, and CT axle backs.

The 3.2s wont respond as well as the 3.6s (they dont really need all the air, but it does help to open them up). I forgot to mention that the Accords with the larger intake are 3.5/3.6s. If you look at most of the dynos, the power tends to die off around 5-5500rpms. The larger intake helps that out.

And oddly enough, I was running the cold air extension up until about a month ago when I switched back to short ram setup and the car feels faster Its not just more responsive, but it pulls harder at all rpms as well. Im sure the cold air extension would prove to be better in the dead of summer when its 100* plus the engine heat, but for now the short ram is the better choice for me.

The EMS was supposedly coming out for the 6MT and it was actually looking pretty good. But I recently spoke with someone that is very close to both Hasport and AEM and they said AEM has no intention to make it available for our sensor set. So my only option at the moment is to convert my sensors and engine harness. My biggest concern with it however is keeping the cluster fully functional. But I intend on accomplishing that.

My motor is pulling timing and the fuel maps could be cleaner (the EMS would allow me to run a wideband on each bank for more precise fueling). Im thinking theres still about 10-20hp still to get out of it with a nice tune.

The one thing Im really looking forward to with it is increased fuel economy. What Im getting now isnt bad, but the build Accords are pulling mid to high 30s on the highway. My AFRs are all over the place while cruising due to the narrow band sensor we have and I notice that it dips down into the high 13s at times. I also notice that I do begin to run a bit rich when it starts to pull timing (sometimes down to 11.9-12.2). So Im definitely in need of a tune.

I did have an issue shortly after we installed the intake where for some reason VTEC wouldnt engage until ~5200rpm or so. I thought that maybe the pulley on the throttle body was too large and the TPS wasn't seeing full throttle, but that wasnt the case. At the time I wasn't running an IACV because the vacuum from the intake would hold it open. Paul figured out a way to make it work and for some reason since then VTEC has been engaging at the correct RPMs. It doesnt make sense to me as to why it would do that, but it works properly now so Im not complaining.
So AEM is only releasing the EMS for the 5AT, and not the 6MT? You'd think that the MTs would be much more popular with the crowd that modifies their cars enough to need a tune.

Originally Posted by friesm2000
i think it may have to do with fuel atomization, and it does not do it too well with the air being too cold (i have also noticed my car seems to pull better with like 40-50 degree weather, compared to say like 35 degree weather)
I always thought colder = better, since colder air has more oxygen, and more oxygen = more boom = more fast. Or is there some sort of peak temperature where a car will run its best, like you said in the 40-50s?
Old 12-21-2010 | 01:13 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Originally Posted by Aman
So AEM is only releasing the EMS for the 5AT, and not the 6MT? You'd think that the MTs would be much more popular with the crowd that modifies their cars enough to need a tune.
Thats where it gets confusing.

The EMS is not to be used with the auto tranny, but only the auto motor sensors.

It makes sense because the 03 CL is the ONLY engine using these sensors (IIRC) and most of the swaps are using J35s which are auto motors. So in a way they did go with the popular choice. Its just not the convenient one for us.

And as far as air temps, Id assume that because air becomes denser as its temp drops, it becomes more difficult for the fuel molecules to mix with it. Not sure if its true, but it kind of makes sense.
Old 12-21-2010 | 01:30 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

What do you mean by auto motor?

And you're probably right about the air temps thing, but does the air density really make it that much harder for it to mix with the fuel?

On another note, the 4th tag out of 19 on this thread is "b.s"
Old 12-21-2010 | 02:14 PM
3.5 psi

he means that a lot of ppl use auto J35 or J32 motors, which have different sensors then the 6speeds. Autos are much easier to come by.
Old 12-21-2010 | 02:27 PM
B A N N E D

And you're probably right about the air temps thing, but does the air density really make it that much harder for it to mix with the fuel?

the motors that had come with an AUTOmatic tranny bolted to it from the factory; as civic said that there are very many Auto enginges, but very few MANual engines, cause those only came out in one year

it's not so much the density thing (because remember i am at a higher altitude; so a cold day with high density would be like a warm day for people at lower altitudes)

but more of what it is i think, is that that after the fuel is atomized, it does not vaporize as easily in the combustion chamber, cause the air is colder, but also the fuel is colder, and it takes warmth to vaporize fuel easily (also remember EVAP tests due not run as often during the winter because the fuel does not vaporize and pressurize the tank as easily)(also why do you think gas companys increase the volatility of the gas [aka the Reid Vapor Pressure])

basically i think we are just trying to stuff a mixture that is just TOO COLD (but reformulating the gas so it is even more volatile, would fix that issue i think though)
also remember gas is blended for the masses, and we are probably running on the colder intake charge temp side as far as the masses go
Old 12-21-2010 | 07:31 PM
BANNED

the motors that had come with an AUTOmatic tranny bolted to it from the factory; as civic said that there are very many Auto enginges, but very few MANual engines, cause those only came out in one year

it's not so much the density thing (because remember i am at a higher altitude; so a cold day with high density would be like a warm day for people at lower altitudes)

but more of what it is i think, is that that after the fuel is atomized, it does not vaporize as easily in the combustion chamber, cause the air is colder, but also the fuel is colder, and it takes warmth to vaporize fuel easily (also remember EVAP tests due not run as often during the winter because the fuel does not vaporize and pressurize the tank as easily)(also why do you think gas companys increase the volatility of the gas [aka the Reid Vapor Pressure])

basically i think we are just trying to stuff a mixture that is just TOO COLD (but reformulating the gas so it is even more volatile, would fix that issue i think though)
also remember gas is blended for the masses, and we are probably running on the colder intake charge temp side as far as the masses go

Get a fic and change out your stock injectors for RDX injectors, the spray pattern of the RDX creates a much finer mist which should help.
Old 12-21-2010 | 07:40 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by NVA-AV6
Get a fic and change out your stock injectors for RDX injectors, the spray pattern of the RDX creates a much finer mist which should help.
already got one, but i need to still try and figure out the cam and cranks sensors though lol

but yeah i also know higher pressure will help with atomization also, but before i do anything else, i need a bigger pump though
Old 12-22-2010 | 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by gnuts
he means that a lot of ppl use auto J35 or J32 motors, which have different sensors then the 6speeds. Autos are much easier to come by.
^ This

And at the tags.

already got one, but i need to still try and figure out the cam and cranks sensors though lol

but yeah i also know higher pressure will help with atomization also, but before i do anything else, i need a bigger pump though
I dont think Paul means just the pressure will help. The RDX injectors have a very nice spray pattern.

Im still trying to get on the dyno today. Then tomorrow the AMRs go in! Its actually warmed up - low 40s!
Old 12-22-2010 | 04:50 AM
BANNED

Uhh, not sure you really need another pump, the stock pump will give you 80PSI all day without issue.
Old 12-22-2010 | 04:51 AM
BANNED

I dont think Paul means just the pressure will help. The RDX injectors have a very nice spray pattern.
Yes.....
Old 12-22-2010 | 11:42 AM
B A N N E D

Uhh, not sure you really need another pump, the stock pump will give you 80PSI all day without issue.
no more like i am running nitrous too, and don't want to lean out at all and blow the motor (i will just rebuild it, but i want to see what a stock motor is capable of though)
Old 12-28-2010 | 11:20 PM

Retrofit part deux is in full effect. They should be done this weekend. I couldnt get the car on the dyno last week so Im trying to do it tomorrow or Thursday. The suspension is going in Friday.

We're going from 30s and snow to 60s and sun. I dont get it.
Old 12-28-2010 | 11:22 PM

Crazy weather. Great for installs though.
Old 12-28-2010 | 11:31 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Are you gonna give us any clue as to what setup you're going with as far as the retrofit goes?

Yeah, no I didn't think so.
Old 12-28-2010 | 11:38 PM

There will be light. Lots of it

Sadly, its not what I really wanted to do, but Ill probably take my time with that one and make it perfect instead of rushing it. But these should still look pretty good (and perform very well too).
Old 12-28-2010 | 11:48 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Wish I had the skills to do a retrofit. Props!
Old 12-29-2010 | 12:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Really got me looking forward to Great Falls. Can't wait to see what you came up with.

Don't lie...you thought about the LEDs, or Halos!
Old 12-29-2010 | 04:34 AM
Suzuka Master

I want see them ready ! Waiting for numbers as well.
Old 12-29-2010 | 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by MD03CL-S
Don't lie...you thought about the LEDs, or Halos!
Damn, you got me.

Originally Posted by StreetKA
I want see them ready ! Waiting for numbers as well.
Im heading in today for some dyno pulls

I was supposed to be on my way to NY today but it looks like Im working tomorrow and I dont want to deal with the New Years Eve traffic. I took time off the weekend of the 22nd so Ill be up there then for a few days. Maybe the weather will be nicer
Old 12-29-2010 | 04:48 PM

Still waiting on the graph to be emailed to me (I forgot to bring my USB stick). I can say this much, I need a tune really bad.
Old 12-29-2010 | 05:02 PM

Thats been on my to-do list for about 4 months now.
Old 12-29-2010 | 05:10 PM

I think I can get the EMS itself for $1100. Then Ive got to get the wiring and sensors, install and tune.

My AFR is running down to 11.5 @ WOT, but even so I made decent power. Im just waiting for the graph to get emailed to me.

Also, the headlights wont be done until next weekend hopefully because Ive changed my mind (yet again) and went with a different set of projectors. I managed to find a set for a good price, and I know not many people are running these in a retro at the moment because of how new they are

Last edited by civicdrivr; 12-29-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-29-2010 | 05:47 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm spilling the beans, it put out 269HP and only 259lbs of TQ!

SUFFER!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-29-2010 | 05:57 PM

Old 12-29-2010 | 06:36 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-29-2010 | 07:25 PM
B A N N E D

I think I can get the EMS itself for $1100. Then Ive got to get the wiring and sensors, install and tune.

My AFR is running down to 11.5 @ WOT, but even so I made decent power. Im just waiting for the graph to get emailed to me.

Also, the headlights wont be done until next weekend hopefully because Ive changed my mind (yet again) and went with a different set of projectors. I managed to find a set for a good price, and I know not many people are running these in a retro at the moment because of how new they are
actually quite normal especially with the stock tune (but idk if i hit that low though, but i know i hit the low 12's though, and some of that might be the variance between gauges and where it is probed and such ; and i think i had an exhaust leak too, which would "lean" it out some per the gauge)

Originally Posted by e30cabrio
I'm spilling the beans, it put out 269HP and only 259lbs of TQ!

SUFFER!!!!!!!!!

thought it be slightly higher, but the torque ; just means it is BOOST TIME (also btw is that wheel)
Old 12-29-2010 | 08:25 PM
BANNED

Oh that's ok if morgan stops by tomorrow I may be able to convince him about the richness of boost, installing the final revision M90 kit with after cooler tomorrow, this should put me somewhere between 425 and 450 at the wheels with my J36.......
Old 12-29-2010 | 09:03 PM
B A N N E D

Oh that's ok if morgan stops by tomorrow I may be able to convince him about the richness of boost, installing the final revision M90 kit with after cooler tomorrow, this should put me somewhere between 425 and 450 at the wheels with my J36.......
and at the power

btw just drove the wife's 09 WRX after a month of it being at the body shop out of commission (somebody switched lanes into me/it; still drivable; but that (got it towed from the accident scene ), the door's structural integrity was compromised, and the tire was scuffed [and before you get at something; the tire was put on one of hunter's road force balancer; and it had excessive road force variation, so indeed it did damage the tire internally ), and i miss the pull once the turbo spools up, but i wish it would have the low end torque more like mine (or a 3.6) though for daily driving though at lights and such

$5000 later and it still needs a tire (actually a set of tires if i can help it ; if they don't want to be buying a couple of diffs and alignments down the road [cause the different tire will probably cause a pull]) plus we still need the deprecation value too, since the car has been in a accident now; so i am thinking probably a good $8-9k after all said and done with

Last edited by friesm2000; 12-29-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-29-2010 | 09:21 PM
Suzuka Master

i want to know the numbers ! im not going to sleep without knowing this fuckin #'s
Old 12-29-2010 | 10:31 PM
Suzuka Master

i already know :P so you dont have to tell that and let him keep it
Old 12-30-2010 | 08:17 AM

A few of you know. Im still waiting on the graph to be emailed to me. I went in near closing time and they dont open til 10a. If I dont have it this afternoon Im going to call.
Old 12-30-2010 | 03:02 PM

Its ok. Its tough but Im starting to feel better. Dublin (my other dog) is confused though. He keeps looking for Hershey.
Old 12-31-2010 | 10:22 AM

This is annoying me. The shop still hasnt emailed the graph. I forget how much torque I made, but it made 295whp, well, technically 294.9whp. I gained torque throughout the whole RPM range too. I wish I remembered the peak number though.

I put that in bold so its easier to read.

Im going to be tuning my car soon. After seeing the AFR numbers on the dyno (11.5 @ WOT), a tune shot to the top of my to-do list. Sadly it wont be an instant thing, as I need to get the harness and sensors swapped first and get an RPM activated switch (unless the EMS has that function built in of course) for the IMRC. Id also need to get two widebands as well for it and make sure my gauge cluster works properly. But Im hoping to do that by spring time.

Unless boosting it is comparably priced of course, in which case I could run the F/IC for fueling. I need to go over the logistics of both options.
Old 12-31-2010 | 10:54 AM

The shop needs to get their shit together and send that graph but damn Morgan nicely done sir

Now get off of Acurazine and install those parts for the meet
Old 12-31-2010 | 11:00 AM

Lol, Im going to install the coilovers today. The headlights will hopefully be done next weekend as long as all my parts come in. I changed the gameplan on what I was going to run, so there was a slight delay otherwise Id be finishing them up now.

Its kind of funny though, I was looking for a particular projector for over 6 months, couldnt find it anywhere (unless I wanted to buy the full headlight, and at $1200 each, no thanks). The day I start the retro using my backup projectors, I find a pair for a decent price
Old 12-31-2010 | 11:14 AM

Coilovers! I want a set for the TL. The springs on stock shocks are starting to give me a rough ride.

$1200 per headlight housing? Jesus. What projectors are you using?
Old 12-31-2010 | 11:38 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

One of my local Aziners was telling me about this new projector that was coming out exclusively for retrofit projects.

Affordable, great color/flicker, and razor sharp cut-off was the goal.

I'll see if I can find the info. again.

Those were the ones we were going to use for mine.
Old 12-31-2010 | 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Coilovers! I want a set for the TL. The springs on stock shocks are starting to give me a rough ride.

$1200 per headlight housing? Jesus. What projectors are you using?
Theyre off of a new generation truck that Im pretty sure you've driven at work. With a slight tweak they rival the best projectors on the market.

Originally Posted by nf3d0149ab
One of my local Aziners was telling me about this new projector that was coming out exclusively for retrofit projects.

Affordable, great color/flicker, and razor sharp cut-off was the goal.

I'll see if I can find the info. again.

Those were the ones we were going to use for mine.
S2k-R? That project was put on indefinite hold I was hoping to use them in my brothers car.

A good low beam projector to use is the RX330. With a modded cut off shield and TSX-R clear lense it performs very well. Im probably going to use that in my Civic and most likely my brothers Accord now that the S2k-Rs arent coming out.

Quick Reply: My Build Thread - bordering on more BS! 56K Beware