Wheel Hop Cure In Progress

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 08:00 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel Hop Cure In Progress

Well Fellas I finally got off my lazy ass and started on the el-cheapo wheel hop cure. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about here is the original thread. http://acura-cl.com/forums/showthrea...hreadid=110791

I took the rear motor mount and the 2 trans mounts off the car and filled them with 3M windo-weld (polyurethane). THey're drying right now. THe rear mount was a major pain to get out!! It's real floppy tough. You can twist the center metal part easily by hand. The trans mounts are pretty stout but I filled all the holes in them. I'm thinking about doing the upper side mount but I don't see how that one would do much for the wheel hop situation. I was going to do the radius arm bushings but I've been thinking it might be better to cross refrence the bushings and see if there are any polyurethane ones made that will fit. Hopefully the stuff will cure by Sunday afternoon. The rear mount is fairly large. (Same size as the side mount). Hopefully this will help. Not out much if it doesn't but it would be nice to have a Honda that doesn't hop all over when you try to get a decent launch. With sticky tires my car even hops on a roll. I'll give a full report when I drive the car.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:45 PM
Burning Brakes

way to go!!! how hard was it to extract the mounts? what tools did you use?
Old 10-24-2003, 10:14 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally posted by MtBikR
way to go!!! how hard was it to extract the mounts? what tools did you use?
The trans mounts are a breeze to get out. Just a 14mm socket. The rear mount is another animal all together. Had to use several extensions and a u-joint from above while kneeling on the intake and radiator support. One of the bolts had to be broken loose from under the car. I used a 3/8 ratchet and was able to get a box end wrench over the end of it for leverage. Then I had to fish it out through the top which was a little tricky. I can tell you if it was worth it when I get to drive the car. Do you have a 6-speed? The mounts on the auto are different. Need to find out if there is a way to stiffen the vacuum mount in the front.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:41 PM
THE SILVER BULLET

does it help that much
Old 10-24-2003, 11:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by ChadT
Do you have a 6-speed?
Yeah I got an auto, but I still have some problems with wheel hop. Good write up!
Old 10-25-2003, 05:03 AM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally posted by pimpscls
does it help that much
We'll find out tommorow when I put the mounts back in.
Old 10-25-2003, 05:11 AM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Wont solid motor mounts make the ride much louder and transmit lots more engine vibrations? Just curious.
Old 10-25-2003, 05:24 AM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally posted by jtkz13
Wont solid motor mounts make the ride much louder and transmit lots more engine vibrations? Just curious.
Yes. I'm hoping the big six is smooth enough that it's tolerable though. I'm expecting some vibration at idle but if it gets rid of some of the wheel hop I'll be happy. Most of the reports I've heard from doing this on other cars say that there is more vibration at idle but other than that it's not that noticeable. Those were 4cyl cars too so I'm hoping it's not horrible. We'll know soon.
Old 10-25-2003, 07:47 AM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Honestly I still feel the most logical way to accomplish this reduction in wheel hop is to correct the problem by replacing the radius rod bushings in the front suspension with something stiffer (poly?) .Wheel hop happens due to a lack of control of the suspension .We have a kid in the shop here with a turbo type R Integra .Unless his launch was perfect the car would bounce around like a mad rubber ball .We installed a "k frame" to the car to resolve the flexible bushing issue .Now the car launches without issue .

Jens
Old 10-25-2003, 08:38 AM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally posted by Jens H.
Honestly I still feel the most logical way to accomplish this reduction in wheel hop is to correct the problem by replacing the radius rod bushings in the front suspension with something stiffer (poly?) .Wheel hop happens due to a lack of control of the suspension .We have a kid in the shop here with a turbo type R Integra .Unless his launch was perfect the car would bounce around like a mad rubber ball .We installed a "k frame" to the car to resolve the flexible bushing issue .Now the car launches without issue .

Jens
Yes I'm thinking the same thing. It looks like on a CL the poly bushings on the radius rods would do the trick. Do you know which other Hondas use the same lower arm setup? The RSX has a lower A arm without the radius arm. My old Prelude had the radius arms and I think there are poly ones available just don't know if they would fit. I thought about filling them as well but they are mostly rubber so I doubt it would do much. Figured I'd try the motor mount deal though. I've read of it curing hop on Sentras. FWD Eclipses and Neons. Definitely want to do something with those radius rods though. Those bushings are cheap. Maybe I could get a set and send them off to a poly bushing manufacturer and see if they have ones the same size.
Old 10-25-2003, 08:51 AM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by Jens H.

Jens
Thanks Jens . . great tip!

They had the track in great condition last night so not too many problems launching. But on other nights when it's cooler I can wheel hop pretty good.

Ruf
Old 10-25-2003, 10:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Good deal. Let us know how you make out.

I can't see modding my car with the wheel hop issue. It pisses me off to the extent that my next car might be RWD (but with an IRS, RWDs sometimes have wheel hop issues too, but are more easily correctable).
Old 10-25-2003, 10:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by ChadT
Those bushings are cheap. Maybe I could get a set and send them off to a poly bushing manufacturer and see if they have ones the same size.

My TL-S has Vacuum mounts front and back. It' so smooth,... I'd like to keep that, and try the radius arm bushings first.
Old 10-25-2003, 02:20 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The first Gen Cl uses it so does the Accord so perhaps looking at those cars for a suspension upgrade kit might reveal a bushing that will work on the Acura radius rod .

Jens
Old 10-26-2003, 01:36 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Well I got the mounts in. Weren't nearly as hard to get back in as I thought they'd be. There is definitely some vibration when you first start the engine but it goes away after it's warmed up. THere is some improvement in the wheel hop situation but it's not totally cured. Took a lot of slop out of the drivetrain. Feels great when you nail it in first. If you feather the clutch and get the car moving before you floor it there is no hop but if you let the clutch out quick with too many revs the wheels spin smoothly until you feather the gas to get some traction. Then it starts hopping a bit but not as violently as before. I'll get a better feel for it under normal driving over the next few days. Overall I like it but it didn't totally cure the wheel hop. Car feels much more resposive though especialy after shifting and when getting on and off the gas while around a corner. THe search for polyurethane radius rod bushings is on.
Old 10-26-2003, 01:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Nice work! The radius arms may be the finishing touch.