Torque Convertor/fuel Economy And 'mission Failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001 | 10:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Torque Convertor/fuel Economy And 'mission Failure

Some thought s on some of the transmission failures and bad fuel economy. may be related???our T/convertor locks up at about 2500rpm??? So, if driving in city traffic in D5 at 55 or less our rpms would be below this(2500) and the convertor would not be in a locked state???resulting in less than optimal fuel economy and more over, generating excess heat....i use SS alot, most of the time,and have had no issues,i drive hard.i like to keep my car in the 3K plus range needless to say i get about 270 miles per fill...I know this kind of contradicts the above statement,yes my torque convertor is locked up,but i drive aggressivly enough that i still dont get good MPG...just my thoughts on a sore subject.and my contribution to a beaten horse...

in rereading my post i want to be clear ...im asking what if it's a result of using D5 too much and driving alot w/o the torque convertor locking up????kinda like driving a stick with yuor foot partially depressing the clutch all the time????
Old 11-21-2001 | 10:50 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

I guess the D5 is meant to provide the best MPG, right?

mind you that sometime, in D5 doing some 50, swithing to SS I find out that I was in 4th, kick it up in the 5th and it does not complain at 1.600 rpms.
Old 11-21-2001 | 11:28 AM
Suzuka Master

If you are saying that the torque converter locks up after 2500 rpm, it sure doesn't do that in my car.

Depending on road grade and conditions the torque converter can be in various states of partial and full lock up (at least in my car).
Old 11-21-2001 | 11:52 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

After somebody posted something about the car almost stalling after breaking from like 45mph, i was thinking the same thing....but what the hell do i know.
Old 11-21-2001 | 12:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: Torque Convertor/fuel Economy And 'mission Failure

Originally posted by typeR

in rereading my post i want to be clear ...im asking what if it's a result of using D5 too much and driving alot w/o the torque convertor locking up????kinda like driving a stick with yuor foot partially depressing the clutch all the time????

The fluid moving inside the torque converter is NOT like "riding" the clutch. I know what you are saying (at least I think I do) and 95% of the general public probably just sticks the sucker in D5 and goes -- period.

If this was a problem, then all of the cars with auto transmissions from 1950-1980+ would all be shot (like ours) after a year or two of operation. Remember, a good portion of the earlier auto transmissions did NOT have any kind of lock-up clutch in their torque converter.

Note --> It is not like Acura has a torque converter "flight" school where all drivers of CLS/TLS vehicles must spend 3-months on "auto transmission operations" before they are allowed to drive the car.

I'm starting to wonder if the fluid control system gets all screwed-up when junk gets into the valves or when one or more critical subsystems have a minor problem. There is so much interdependency in the system (for grade logic, partial lock-up modes, etc) that any one system going down could spell disaster for the operation of the rest of the system. The transmission has multiple feedback paths between the fluid control systems and the PCM (Power Control Module).
Old 11-21-2001 | 03:18 PM
Senior Moderator

no, im with you erik,but, how many cars from the 80's we're tooling around at 50 MPH at 1500 rpm????5th is super tall...but your probably right...electronic does make the most sense
Old 11-21-2001 | 06:00 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

I thought we decided a while back that the transmission failures were due to the tapered roller bearing? I was on vacation for a cople weeks after that discussion (that was like 2 months ago) did someone disprove that as the culprit?
Old 11-21-2001 | 06:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by TypeSAddict
I thought we decided a while back that the transmission failures were due to the tapered roller bearing? I was on vacation for a cople weeks after that discussion (that was like 2 months ago) did someone disprove that as the culprit?
(This is copy #2 today on the subject...)

Boy, I looked around and the only place that uses a "Tapered Roller Bearing" in the transaxle is in the differential carrier -- it has nothing to do with the transmission.

IMO -- more bunk from Acura. "I don't know" would be preferable to more BS.

(The reason I am jumping all over this statement from Acura is... at least 3-4 other people have gotten completely different answers and/or a number of vendors, mechanics, and others have said 1-5).

Let's check out the current mythology:

1) It's a seal in the transmission...
2) It's dirty bits of grit getting stuck in the transmission (comment)
3) The shift solenoids are bad
4) The "good" transmissions have a new part # (yea, so why do they still fail)
5) Tapered Roller Bearings (that are NOT used in the transmission)

Comment: When the correct “answer” comes along, it should at least “jibe” with the types of failures that are being seen on the TLS/CLS!
Old 11-27-2001 | 10:16 PM
Resident DJ

I'll be sure to ask about this tomorrow when I go to the dealership.

My tranny is gettin' replaced...waiting for a new one to arrive (they quoted me 3 to 5 days waiting time for the new trannie to arrive!)

I'll see if I can get the actual technician (not the service rep) alone for a minute to see what he has to say.
Old 11-28-2001 | 05:00 AM
Cruisin'

im figurin there might be

diffrent situations in diffrent cl/tls

cause after my tranny started to slip i took it in to "park ave"
they looked over it and they found that it had a "hydrosystem failure"(this is the only thing park ave told me). im figurin the hydrosystem cools off the tranny, but after the failure it couldnt cool off the tranny anymore? i could be wrong,
was anyone else informed about this?