suspension replacement--need a plan "B"

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 01:05 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
suspension replacement--need a plan "B"

I just called 2 places requesting prices on Koni "yellows" for my 2001 CL S and both placed told me that their warehouses say that the shock for the rear (of our car) is being discontinued.

I also asked about Eibach Pro Kit and apparently our cars need not only 1 alignment kit but 2 (one for the front and one for the rear).

I was quoted about $660 for the shocks (one warehouse had 3 of the ones needed for my car (rear) in stock.

This all seems a bit odd.

In any case, I'm thinking about just replacing the shocks now--is it OK to keep the stock springs?

What is the next best shock if I can't get 4 Konis?

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2003, 01:41 PM
Drifting

You may, or may not require a kit for alignment. I have yet to hear of anybody needing front and rear! After springs are put in (and most suggest settling app. 2-3weeks) have the alignment checked, and if it can't be brought within specs. then look into a kit. YMMV
Old 01-14-2003, 01:41 PM
Burning Brakes

For 190 more, u can get new springs and shocks....Go with teins SS, theres a buy for 850 shipped....well worth the money...the ride is great, plus u can adjust the height and damper....
Old 01-14-2003, 02:59 PM
on bin laden

i have the koni yellows with the eibach pro kit. i dont have any additionals kits for the alignment ... it is fine. the drop in the front ends up being an inch or two, the rear is a half inch drop at most.
Old 01-14-2003, 03:05 PM
Racer

At both places wehre I asked for an estimate, the computer was telling the person that for a CL, type S, with that spring (package) a suspension package is required for both front and rear.

I dunno.

I've pretty much resigned myself to only doing shocks this year. Are the Konis (or Tokico) or whatever your recomend OK with the stock springs?
Old 01-15-2003, 08:18 AM
Racer

Can I replace shocks w/o new springs?

Sorry to bring this back to the top again but I'm trying to budget what I can and can't do with the car this year.

If I go for the new shocks, can the springs wait till next year?

I just want to tighten up the ride and elimiate feeling every bump in the road (so much).

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2003, 10:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
dude the koni's have adjustable perches...meaning you can lower your car with the stock springs and increase the damp rate...1inch front and rear
Old 01-15-2003, 10:33 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Re: suspension replacement--need a plan "B"

Originally posted by sundance_gold
I just called 2 places requesting prices on Koni "yellows" for my 2001 CL S and both placed told me that their warehouses say that the shock for the rear (of our car) is being discontinued.

I also asked about Eibach Pro Kit and apparently our cars need not only 1 alignment kit but 2 (one for the front and one for the rear).

I was quoted about $660 for the shocks (one warehouse had 3 of the ones needed for my car (rear) in stock.

This all seems a bit odd.

In any case, I'm thinking about just replacing the shocks now--is it OK to keep the stock springs?

What is the next best shock if I can't get 4 Konis?

Thanks!

neuspeed quoted me $157 for each shock at a total of $628 for the koni yellows. They didn't mention anything about them being discontinued.

they better not be because i was gonna lower my car this month too.
Old 01-15-2003, 11:49 AM
Just call me DADDY!!!

Re: Can I replace shocks w/o new springs?

I just want to tighten up the ride and elimiate feeling every bump in the road (so much).

Thanks!
That is kinda weird...If you lower your car you are going to feel every bump on the road even more. It does not get any better than stock.
Old 01-15-2003, 11:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: Can I replace shocks w/o new springs?

Sorry to bring this back to the top again but I'm trying to budget what I can and can't do with the car this year.

If I go for the new shocks, can the springs wait till next year?

Thanks!
How much do you plan on saving?? In the long run if it cost you 150$ to replace the shocks, it's also going to cost another 150$ to replace the springs (when you choose to do so).

If you are intent on replacing the springs eventually, why not go ahead and save the money of another install and just do the springs and the shocks at the same time?
Old 01-15-2003, 11:56 AM
Team Owner

Re: Re: Can I replace shocks w/o new springs?

Originally posted by JSuppi
How much do you plan on saving?? In the long run if it cost you 150$ to replace the shocks, it's also going to cost another 150$ to replace the springs (when you choose to do so).

If you are intent on replacing the springs eventually, why not go ahead and save the money of another install and just do the springs and the shocks at the same time?
yea wha the said,

that's how i'm doing my suspension upgrade, springs and shocks at the same time to save some money. and because they recommened getting shocks with springs.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:04 PM
East Coast Boost.!

I think you are better going with springs first, they will stiffen up your ride a bit. Then next year you can get shocks or a whole new setup. I have the Tein SS, but people think that the kit only cost 850, it does, but you also need camber kits which will cost you another 300. The Teins are worth every penny, but if you are on a tight budget, I would just get springs.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:06 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by Titand19
I think you are better going with springs first, they will stiffen up your ride a bit. Then next year you can get shocks or a whole new setup. I have the Tein SS, but people think that the kit only cost 850, it does, but you also need camber kits which will cost you another 300. The Teins are worth every penny, but if you are on a tight budget, I would just get springs.
if you go with just springs you may cause your stock shocks to deteriorate faster. but this also depends on how low of a drop you go. BUT because our cars are heavier than most other imports, your car is going to bounce a hell of a lot more if you just install springs without upgrading your shocks. THis is another reason why shocks are recommended when you upgrade your springs. no matter if you have a 1.5" drop or a 2.2" drop, they make all the difference.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:38 PM
Racer

I just learned 2 new things:

1. I emailed Koni and they did not discontinue any shocks for our car. They did an internal renumbering of the part.

2. Minimum that I'm looking at for labor is $650.

I may just bite the bullet and do it all at once.