Supercharger iddle noise level

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FigDj, sounds like there def. is a problem,happy to see that your being taken care of by Comptech. Good Luck!
Old 11-07-2003, 12:59 PM
Advanced

OK , here is the update. Bad news, the problem with the blower sounding like a truck still persist.

After installing a new blower and everything else under the directly attached to it, it still had the noise. Shad told me that he cheked that SC kit in the prototype car and it was fine.

At this point I am leaning to thing that there was something wrong with the installation, maybe something is not aligned right because the one thing that has never chaged are the mounting plates for the blower and shaft assemblies. Also when you put a little bit of presure with your hand on top of the blower, the sound changes and diminishes a little.

I am only especulating at this time, I really don't know what is wrong and Shad tells me that he doesn't either.

I don't want to ask for a refund and put my car back to the previous state (Headers, Ice box, exhaust). Reality is that I already tasted the power of the SC and I like very much. I want to stay with the SC but I want to stay with it working correctly.

I proposed to Shad that I was willing to pay up to a considerable amount on the expenses if Comptech would sent a tech to do a re-install or diagnose the problem. Shad said that he would take this up with his superiors (management perhaps) and explain my case to them to see what can be done.

At this point I just want my car fixed and I hope Comptech will help me with this situation. Fellow CL-S owners I am so desperate all I can say is pray for me so that Comptech agrees to help me out. Maybe for some of you in close proximity to Comptech can put some words for me. I will talk again to Shad on Wednesday, updates on Wednesday night EST or Thursday.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Damn, I'm sorry to hear this. I do wish you were closer by as I would be more than willing and happy to see if I could take a crack at it. I do suspect it is the installation; has anyone looked at the bracket seating screw??

Anyway, please keep us informed of the progress.
Old 11-08-2003, 03:35 AM
Advanced

I think it would be a great demonstration of concern for customers and an invaluable public relations for Comptech if they decide to help me until the problem is resolved. True, it may not be a cost effective thing but I think that considering the number of people who frequent the forum it will totally show that Comptech stands by their products all the way.

I am not saying that Comptech has not tryed, but from a customer's perpective, after 2 months, 3 blowers, 5K money and 2 different installers the SC in my car is still not working properly.

Scalbert
If Comptech decides not go all the way to help me I would be willing to take a trip to your location so you could take a look at my car. That is , if it is OK with you. I of course will do advance planning in accordance to your availability and give you plenty of advanced noticed.

I realize that this is something that you are in no way obligated to do and I do not want to impose in any way. However, I think that if Comptech quits on this I would be out of options.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by FigDj
Scalbert
If Comptech decides not go all the way to help me I would be willing to take a trip to your location so you could take a look at my car. That is , if it is OK with you. I of course will do advance planning in accordance to your availability and give you plenty of advanced noticed.
Absolutely, that is why I offered; I would be glad to help in any way I can. Just let me know what Comptech comes back with. If unsatisfactory, we can make arrangements. I can even put you up for the night in either the spare bedroom or on a pull out bed.

We'll even get you to pull duty taking care of one of our three month old twin girls. JK...
Old 11-08-2003, 04:54 AM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
man... comptech has such impressive customer service. that's commendable.

Sorry youre SC still isn't working right though.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:41 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by proaudio22
Any people complain about the high price of Comptech Parts. 99% of the time, you get EXACTLY what you pay for.
Comptech rocks, and Shad is great !!!!
Old 11-08-2003, 09:12 PM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Here's some pics of FigDj's supercharger (I met him the evening of 11/8):

Old 11-09-2003, 05:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Just one quick thing to try; disconnect the EGR valve and see if there is a change in sound.
Old 11-10-2003, 05:01 AM
Cruisin'

Hey FigDJ, I live in Columbia,MD and thinking about getting a SC for my 2002 TLs from Tischer.I have a few qestions for you.
1. Did you get the SC from Tischer or did you just have it installed there?
2. If you did got it from Tischer how much did they charge you and what did you get ( SC kit, tranny cooler, new battery )?
3. I have never seen a SC installer on a Acura in person, how do you get to the battery if you need to change it or need a jump start?
4. Are you happy with the power,is it worth 4-5 big $$$
Old 11-12-2003, 01:54 PM
Advanced

Scalbert
Just one quick thing to try; disconnect the EGR valve and see if there is a change in sound.
I suggested that to Shad when I spoke to him today. he said that he checked for obvoius things but that he still would like to spent so time with my car to find the problem.

Absolutely, that is why I offered; I would be glad to help in any way I can. Just let me know what Comptech comes back with. If unsatisfactory, we can make arrangements. I can even put you up for the night in either the spare bedroom or on a pull out bed.
That's great man, I appreciate the support. Comptech is still haven't decided if they are sending someone over to Maryland or how it is going to play out. Shad is working on that for me.

Shad is supposed to let me know by the end of this week.

We'll even get you to pull duty taking care of one of our three month old twin girls. JK...
LOL, I have lots of experience in that department, my kids are older now (20 girl, 18 girl and 12 boy) those are things that you never forget.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:08 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Darkstar2
Hey FigDJ, I live in Columbia,MD and thinking about getting a SC for my 2002 TLs from Tischer.I have a few qestions for you.
1. Did you get the SC from Tischer or did you just have it installed there?
2. If you did got it from Tischer how much did they charge you and what did you get ( SC kit, tranny cooler, new battery )?
3. I have never seen a SC installer on a Acura in person, how do you get to the battery if you need to change it or need a jump start?
4. Are you happy with the power,is it worth 4-5 big $$$
1. I got the SC from Tischer, they matched Deans prices so i was just more convenient for me.
2. I got the SC, tranny cooler and the 51R battery all for $5100 and change installed.
3. Jump start is not a problem, you just have to be careful. As far as replacing the battery or making new connections to it, the best way is to take the ice box cover and filter out first. Once that is done you can get to the connections and the battery holder fairly easy, then slide the battery to the side for replacement.
4. I am very happy with the power. Only exceptions, as you can read in this thread is the noise problem that I have with the blower.

If you get the installation done, I would be curious to listen to your car to find out the noise difference. I would be another tick mark on my favor if it is quiet because either something is wrong with my car and Tischer must fixed under warranty or something is wrong with the SC and CT should respond to that or something is wrong with the original install, in which case Tischer was the original installer. Something has got to give, I hope sooner than later.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:40 PM
Advanced

Just a little update.

Ben at Schaffer's Import Auto offered to check the EGR valve and to also disconnect the belt thatruns the SC just to hear if the noise is there.

As it turns out, the EGR valve is OK, it seems to be mounted correctly and without any problems.

When the belt was taken off, the car was cranked and running for a minute in order to localize the noise. Well, my car was quiet again, just as it was prior to the SC install. Belt back on, noise back on. Note that noise is associated with the belt directly. The noise was again localize to a support bearing o the blower assembly itself.

As far as Comptech goes, Shad was supposed to get back to me today. When it was 3:30PM Maryland =12:30PM California I decided to call only to find out that Shad was not in today. I will have to wait until Monday to talk to him.

It all point know to the blowers that they have been sending, again either something is wrong with the blowers itselt or something is not right on instal specs (I doubt that). My car has been ruled out as to having anything wrong with it.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

It's not the tensioner pulley on the belt is it?
Old 11-14-2003, 02:23 PM
Advanced

I ment to say that the noise is associated with the belt indirectly rather than directly as I said in my last post.

The noise is definitively coming from the blower assembly, belts and pullies are quiet.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:18 PM
Suzuka Master

The next step will be to replace the main support bracket. The tension adjustment screw should be redone after removing and reinstalling the whole assembly.

I would also remove the lower support brace as a test too.

There is most likely a resonance occurring with some set of tension and mounting.

I do wish you were local as this would be a fun problem to tackle.
Old 11-15-2003, 09:50 AM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

I could definitely tell that the noise was coming from the blower. It only took several seconds to realize this.
Old 11-16-2003, 12:25 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by dustbuster4
I could definitely tell that the noise was coming from the blower. It only took several seconds to realize this.
It only took me a few seconds also, but I was having a hard time convincing people that something was wrong. Tischer Acura just though that it was the way it was supossed to sound and Comptech did not really started believing until Ben at Shaffers Auto told them about the problem and then when Shad Huntley came over he heart it himself.

On another note, there seems to be some confusion as to how Comptech has reponded to this problem because I seen my user name and Comptech in other threads associating Comptech with great service.

For everyones clarification that may see this thread.

While I don't deny that Comptech has tryed to help, the fact of matter is that it has not been good enough because I still have the same problem. My car has been ruled out as the source of the problem. Comptech has started to give me the impression that they are ready to wash their hands out of the hole deal. I don't where else to go and that doesn't even matter if Comptech is not willing to back up their warranties. Note that I went to their recommended installer in Maryland (Shaffer's).

To make it clear The noise problem is still there
Old 11-16-2003, 02:05 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Another Comptech S/C buyer. Congrats man.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:38 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by scalbert
The next step will be to replace the main support bracket. The tension adjustment screw should be redone after removing and reinstalling the whole assembly.

I would also remove the lower support brace as a test too.

There is most likely a resonance occurring with some set of tension and mounting.

I do wish you were local as this would be a fun problem to tackle.
What chapter is this? I forgot. In the continuing saga of the noisy supercharger.

Scalbert, that is exactly what I am thingking. Additionally that is what Shad from Comptech told me. Anyway he (Shad) arranged for Tischer Acura to take another look at it. If I understood correctly, he will be in direct contact with the tech over the phone and will walk him thru the steps of dis-assembly and re-assembly. The car is going in tomorrow and I know that they will not be able to do anything until noon because of the time difference between Maryland and California. At least I get a loaner, I hope they can find what is wrong and fixed.

I ordered the B-pipe and is sitting in Tischer to be installed, they matched the lowest price I found. However, I told them that I do not wanted installed until the SC problem is resolved. No sense on adding more stuff. Better take care of one problem at a time.

Thanks for keeping track man.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:19 PM

FigDj, I realize this must be quite frustrating for you. I also had a similar problem with noise from the pulley area of the engine. With the extra load of the super charger I was experiencing a diesel truck like sound coming from the front of the pulley area. At first the sound only came on when the a/c was on, but then it got worse and was noisy even with the a/c off. I noticed that the pulley tensioner was the source of the sound, as it was bouncing on the belt exesively. For $20 I went out and replaced my serpentine belt for the a/c and power steering, my original belt was stretched too much after 20k miles. After I replaced the belt the noise is totally gone. Just thought I'd share my experience. Good Luck FigDj!
Old 11-19-2003, 02:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by FigDj
Anyway he (Shad) arranged for Tischer Acura to take another look at it. If I understood correctly, he will be in direct contact with the tech over the phone and will walk him thru the steps of dis-assembly and re-assembly.
Cool, let us know how it pans out.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:13 AM
10th Gear

Hi, I have a very similar problem with my car…

I'm the Solara owner and it was also S/C-ed(of course by TRD). From the first moment everything was fine but 2 weeks after I noticed detonation on the car and CE light appeared. The problem was caused by bad knock sensor (we have 2 of them on a V-engine and it was #2). At the same time there was a noise just like yours (our S/C also Eaton type). Then I changed this knock sensor, detonation disappeared but there was still a sibilant noise from S/C unit. We have Automatic Belt Tensioner as a apart of a kit, so I don't think the tension can be a reason but in any way I'll check with a tension meter.

This problem is still in the process of solution and I'm going to install some additional gauges (boost, water,oil, A/f ratio) this week - thus I plan to compare the boost with the standards for a stock pulley. If you want I can keep posting with the results and I'm going to solve the problem as soon as possible.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:01 AM

I have replaced my belt with good results, but if the problem resurfaces any time soon, I'm gonna get a shorter belt. My old belt didn't stretch alot, but it was short enough for the tensioner to make noise. It's as if on my car, the tensioner is right at the threshhold and couldn't stay quiet with the combined load of the a/c, alt & power steering. I'm sure Gates or someone makes a belt that is one size down a few millimeters shorter. Or could it be my tensioner is bad? Belts are cheap so I'll stick with that route.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:51 PM
Advanced

Conclusion to my saga, problem is fixed.

As per my last entry on 18 Nov. I left the car at Tischer Acura and they talk to Shad over the phone. The problem was still there. So I had a trip out of country but before I left, I told Lenny and Brandon that since I was going out of country I would like to leave the car with them. I also talked to Shad and he stated that he was going to be visiting relatives in the D.C. area and that if he get a chance he would come to Tischer to take a look at the car.

Well, I just got back, Shad did came over to Tischer on Friday to find out that they had already fixed the problem. They told me that they readjusted the mounting brackets and inspected every bolt and nut in the kit and that at the end the noise was gone.

Anyway the noise is gone. Lenny, Brandon and the Tech (sorry don't remember the name) at Tischer Acura
very cool and I would recommend you guys forever.

To Shad I don't know anyone that would have taken a deep concern and interest in helping out a consumer. His level of support was outstanding.

Let me not gorget to all of you guys that repplied and tried to help out specially Scalbert thanks a bunch.

Lastly, I gave the go ahead to install the B-pipe so i will pick up my ride tomorrow, all fixed up and with the B-pipe.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:42 PM
Instructor

Woot!

so it was the mounting brackets ? or the nuts and screws?
Old 12-01-2003, 01:48 PM
Suzuka Master

This is too wierd... but I am glad you problem is resolved...

So it is safe to say the next S/C'ed person that comes along and says their blower is making noise we should just tell them--------------------> "GO tighten your nuts?"...

Smitty
Old 12-02-2003, 03:14 AM
Suzuka Master

That is great news!!! That mounting bracket was the last point in the system the problem could originate from. Unfortunately for you it was difficult to diagnose but at least now we have a record of the problem and can address similar problems in the future.