Supercharger iddle noise level

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 06:25 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharger iddle noise level

I just picked up my car from Tischer Acura in MD. They installed the CT Supercharger. I have not had the time to fully evaluate it however I did notice the higher noise level. I know the blower is on all the time and some increased noise may be the normal. For those of you that already have the SC, how much louder is your car at iddle? or is the noise from the blower (at iddle) is not supposed to significantly noticeable?
Old 09-12-2003, 06:27 PM
What, me drive fast?

Slightly off topic but what did Acura charge you to install it? Did they say it voided warrantee or not? I thought that the SC was the one Comptech thing they wouldn't cover.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:29 PM
Advanced

They will cover all waranties. The labor was $800.00 for the SC and the tranny cooler.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:13 PM
Mazda3 and Honda Civic in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lets see some pics man
Old 09-12-2003, 07:15 PM
Homeless

idle...not iddle...

Anyhow, where in MD...? I'm in Wilmington DE, is Odenton reasonably close? I've heard of Denton, just not 'O'Denton.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:17 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
it's most likely normal
Old 09-12-2003, 07:26 PM
Advanced

thanks, for the correction, somewhat tired after TKD class. Odenton is in Ann Arundel County, just slightly south east of Fort Meade.

Originally posted by chris3240929
idle...not iddle...

Anyhow, where in MD...? I'm in Wilmington DE, is Odenton reasonably close? I've heard of Denton, just not 'O'Denton.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:06 PM
Suzuka Master

There is a slight increase in the sound at idle. But please elaborate on the sounds, level, tone, sounds like, etc.
Old 09-13-2003, 04:14 PM
Advanced

It is not coming from the belts. It is more like noise from the fan inside, I expected the winning at high RPMs but I though that at idle it would quieter. I understand that the fans are on all the time. Nevertheless, I did not expected much more noise than at stock. It sounds like an old car with something churning inside. i really do not know how to describe it well. Maybe someone has a video with sound at idle that I could use to compare it with.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:09 PM
Suzuka Master

There is a mechanical sound but I am having a hard time judging the level from your description. Hood up, down, in the cab, etc.??
Old 09-13-2003, 05:23 PM
Bleed Honda Blue

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
some grinding noise is normal but radiator fan on all the time is not. After I installed the supercharge I thought my car was more quiet that before except when it is at idle. Did you installed a boost guage? if so how many psi are you running?
Old 09-13-2003, 05:50 PM
BOOOOOOsted

mine kinda sounds like a diesel engine at idle, slight rumble.
Old 09-14-2003, 07:21 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by scalbert
There is a mechanical sound but I am having a hard time judging the level from your description. Hood up, down, in the cab, etc.??
I dont pay that much attention to hood up noise, however, hood down and in the cabin I can clearly hear the added noise level.

Originally posted by sgmotoring
some grinding noise is normal but radiator fan on all the time is not. After I installed the supercharge I thought my car was more quiet that before except when it is at idle. Did you installed a boost guage? if so how many psi are you running?
The sound is like that, like some grinding is going on. Yes, I do find my car quieter at high RPMs but at idle is noisy. The installation was done by the Acura dealer. No boost gauge.

Originally posted by tool462
mine kinda sounds like a diesel engine at idle, slight rumble.
Thats it, it sounds like a diesel engine, It reminds me of the sounds by the first Volvo diesel cars or a diesel truck iddling at a rest station in the highway except not as loud.

I am just trying to find out if the addional noise is normal or should I contact the dealer on this. BTW I had a chance to test it a little more yesterday. The power is so awesome it is scary. I guest I will get used to the added noise as a trade off for more power. However, I still want to confirm that this is normal noise for SC.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:07 PM
Subie Dubie

My SCd car sounds the same from inside the car as before. You don't even know it's there til you punch it !
Old 09-15-2003, 04:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Refer to the below video; would you be able to hear it in these conditions?? This was done just after I instaleld my blower.

CL-S6SC Video
Old 09-15-2003, 04:41 AM
Disproportionate Member

Is the Comptech a centrifigual (sp?) or roots-style blower?
Old 09-15-2003, 04:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Roots style, positive displacement blower.

Eaton/Magnuson MP62
Old 09-15-2003, 06:40 AM
Disproportionate Member

Scalbert, your car sounds sweet! Nice neigborhood you live in as well..
Old 09-15-2003, 01:06 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the video.

That is definitively quieter than mine. Although mine is an AT it should be just as quiet at low RPMs. Perhaps someone has a video with sound at idle. I will point the dealer to your video for comparison.

Refer to the below video; would you be able to hear it in these conditions?? This was done just after I instaleld my blower.

CL-S6SC Video
Old 09-15-2003, 03:06 PM
Pro

Re: Supercharger iddle noise level

Originally posted by FigDj
I just picked up my car from Tischer Acura in MD. They installed the CT Supercharger. I have not had the time to fully evaluate it however I did notice the higher noise level. I know the blower is on all the time and some increased noise may be the normal. For those of you that already have the SC, how much louder is your car at iddle? or is the noise from the blower (at iddle) is not supposed to significantly noticeable?
I find the roots blower on my truck to have a diesel rattle/growl at idle. Just step up the RPM a hair, and it spins smooth.

Everyone that I've met that's took interest in roots blowers said that was a normal sound.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:37 AM
Suzuka Master

They often make an unusual sound due to the bypass valve being open causing the air to "tumble". But the level indicated seems greater than expected but it may still be normal.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:53 PM
Advanced

I just got infomed by lenny at tischer Acura in laurel, MD that Comptech is shipping a new blower unit to replace the one in my car. He also told me that Comptech said that it should be arriving within 3 days.

For those of you that replied thanks for taking interest in helping out with your responses.

scalbert once again thanks for the video.

Lets see how it goes with the new blower unit.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:15 PM
Advanced

For those interested, the new blower is in and there was no change in the amount of noise. Last resort would be to get together with someone that has a supercharged CL-S in the DC/Baltimore, Maryland area.

I have to handed to Lenny and Brandon at Tischer Acura, they had Comptech ship a new blower and it was replaced in one day.

After the intall nothing was changed. Perhaps, I am too picky or this blower and the previous one are part of a bad batch. I won't know until can make a live comparison with another supercharged CL-S.

Any suggestions?
Anyone with SC CL-S in the DC/Baltimore, Maryland area?
Old 10-01-2003, 02:38 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Expect to hear some increase in noise from the engine even at an idle .We also noticed that the there is a bit more vibration from the engine that can be felt .We attributed this to the increased weight of the engine witha blower bolted to it .This in turn gives the motormounts a bit more of a workout .You should hear a minor hum at an idle hood open .Nothing drastic just a hum and somewhat incresed mechanical noise overall .

Jens
Old 10-01-2003, 02:47 PM
///M POWER

maybe its not installed right
Old 10-02-2003, 04:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Any suggestions?
Anyone with SC CL-S in the DC/Baltimore, Maryland area?
I beleive Eric is the closest to you and he is in NJ. Maybe you could schedule a meet with him??

If it is the same as before and everything is mounted accordingly then it may just be that you are expecting it to be too quite.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:59 PM
Burning Brakes

They will cover all waranties. The labor was $800.00 for the SC and the tranny cooler.
That's a great price! I paid just over a g for a certified warrentied install. There shouldn't be much more noise at idle, unless you're standing above the engine bay w/ the hood up. I only hear it if the gas is pressed (even lightly sometimes) but not at idle
Old 10-02-2003, 03:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Red Rider
My SCd car sounds the same from inside the car as before. You don't even know it's there til you punch it !
Old 10-02-2003, 05:59 PM
Advanced

In the continuing saga of the noisy SC blower.

Based on all you guys responses, I just could not accept that with the installation of the SC my car would sound like a truck. I needed the car to be actually looked at.

I got on the phone with Joe(tech) at Comptech and he listened to the noise over the phone. He could not get a true perspective from that because he had never done that before.

I asked him if he could poit me to a qualified tech in the Maryland area that could take a look at my car. He told me that Bob (sales rep) would be able to help me with that. He then trasferred my call to Bob.

Bob gave the phone number for Schaffer's Import Auto. i then called Schaffer's Import Auto and talked to Ben who was willing to take a quick look right away. That was at 5:00 PM EST and by 5:30 I was there.

I don't know if he called Comptech or Comptech called him but by the time i got there he already knew about my troubles with the SC.

Ben asked me to crank it up and using a long screwdriver as a makeshift stetoscope, he diagnosed the problem within 5 minutes. I was impressed. It turn out to be at bad support bearing inside the rear blower fan. There is more.

Ben whip out his cell and called Comptech. I think he talked to Bob. After explaining the problem in detail he arranged for Comptech to ship a third (yes #3) blower and Comptech will pay for his labor. By this time I was thinking of Ben as God. HAHAHA

Lets see how it finally turn out.

Lastly, I don't want anyone to get a bad impresion about Tischer Acura in Laurel, Maryland. Lenny and Brandon have been very helpful and had tried to resolve this situation to the best of their abilities. I just think that the techs may not have enough experience with this SC kit. I like to point out that all other mod installs have been flawless and I still highly recommend them.

Bob and Joe at Comptech and ben at Schaffer's Import Auto.

You guys rock!!!!!!

All members that tried to help me out by responding, again

many thanks!!!!!!

Stay tune for final resolution.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:12 PM
Advanced

I forgot to mention that Ben at Schaffer's Import Auto told Comptech that he thought that there was a bad batch of blowers from the manufacturer because that was the second one in a row with the same problem.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:39 PM
Advanced

This is an update on my sag for those interested. I did not post before because there was not any completed actions or solutions to the problem and there still no solution, however, there is a little light at the end of the tunnel.

Well, Ben at Schaffer's Import Auto installed the new blower and the noise problem was still there. He agreed that there was a problem somewhere because the noise was not normal. He called Comptech and arranged for a tech from Comptech to come to Maryland and take a look at my car.

I met with Shad Huntley from Comptech yesterday morning. He took a look at my car and agreed that there is a problem but was puzzled because this is the 3rd blower installed in my car with the same problem.

Shad decided that the best thing to do was take an SC kit, install it in test car at Comptech to make sure everything was OK then uninstall that kit and ship it to Schaffer's Import Auto for installation.

I am supposed to touch base with him at Comptech this Thursday for a schedule on shipment.

That is it for now.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:22 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Except if you throw a rod or suck a valve. That's what I was told by one dealership.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:37 PM
Suzuka Master

He called Comptech and arranged for a tech from Comptech to come to Maryland and take a look at my car.

I met with Shad Huntley from Comptech yesterday morning.
WOW, I am sorry to hear about the issue and it not being resolved yet. But I am impressed with Comptech sending Shad across the country for this. Very few companies would go to this extreme.

Now on to the problem; has anyone looked at the mounting plate possibly touching the cam bearing?? Or maybe the EGR valve is not seated or the gasket is bad. I suspect it is one of those two things as they were also touched during the installation.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:09 PM
Advanced

WOW, I am sorry to hear about the issue and it not being resolved yet. But I am impressed with Comptech sending Shad across the country for this. Very few companies would go to this extreme.

Now on to the problem; has anyone looked at the mounting plate possibly touching the cam bearing?? Or maybe the EGR valve is not seated or the gasket is bad. I suspect it is one of those two things as they were also touched during the installation.
Thanks man, it is reasurring that someone is interested.
Yes, i was also very impressed with Comptech for the level of support.

It helps to be on this board because they (Comptech) are aware of how much I am into this board and are concerned about good customer service and how it reflects on this board postings.

At this point I don't exactly what Shad checked for but he was all over it. Your suggestions could be right on the money given the symptoms that I have described and was has been done sofar. I will mention your suggestions to Shad on Thursday.

Thanks
Old 10-28-2003, 05:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Geesh very interesting... sorry for your troubles.. This is a really bad string of luck you got... 3 blowers!!!!... damn... something is wierd here... got me puzzled and your not even running 6lbs of boost...damn
Old 10-28-2003, 05:19 PM
-S namyaC-

But I am impressed with Comptech sending Shad across the country for this. Very few companies would go to this extreme.
Any people complain about the high price of Comptech Parts. 99% of the time, you get EXACTLY what you pay for.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm sure they probably checked for a bad alternator, or main idler tensioner pulley (not on the blower).

How many miles are on your car?
Old 10-28-2003, 06:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

They should change the mounting brackets also, in case something is misalligned or as Scalbert suggests.

Is the noise there right away after the install of the new blower?
Old 10-28-2003, 06:29 PM

FigDj, my blower is a little noisy with the hood up. With the hood down I also have that increased noise level that everyone mentioned. When my windows are up everything is quiet though.
Old 11-03-2003, 03:57 PM
Advanced

Sorry for not replying to everyone right away. First, I thank everyone that has responded, for me is a show of support and a source of knowledge.

ModAddict

I have 16K on my CL, it is going to be 1 year since purchased on December 06.

Comptech is replacing everything with the kit. It is a tested kit in their test car. Kit already been shipped.

Chemmech

At iddle the noise is very noticeable. Not so much while is running since there are other noises (road noises) that detract from it. I can hear it when at a stop light or at parking. This is all with the windows up.

Quick Reply: Supercharger iddle noise level