Sudden Disgust with the CL?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2001 | 02:10 PM
Instructor

Sudden Disgust with the CL?

This is my natural curiosity rearing its pretty little head...

Why, all of a sudden, is everyone complaining about their cars? I was lurking on this forum for a bit before I purchased mine, and I can't remember seeing a *truly* bad word written about the CL. Now, a number of people are vowing never to buy an Acura again.

I'm trying to keep it in perspective. My last car (Ford Contour--I know it was a mistake.) had extra bolts in the engine, thunked when I made a right hand turn and that was all within the first week. After 30K miles, I unexpectedly lost my brakes while driving in dowtown DC. Turns out that something rubbed up against the brake lines and cut them, which Ford knew about but never properly fixed on my car. So, if I have less trouble than that with my CL-P I will be overjoyed.

Thoughts? Comments? Rants? I'll even take contrary opinions.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver 3.2 CL (no S because of the lead foot)
Old 05-22-2001 | 02:13 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Who said that? I'll smack 'em. I don't think anyone is really unsatisfied just annoyed. We wll are annoted with the little things that pop up. This is just a common place to rant. I never visited a Forum for either Nissan or Lexus before but I would have probably had some choice things to say about them as well. No car is perfect, even though we watn it to be. Go to the BMW forum sometime and listen to them.

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior
Xephyr CAI
Polarg M6
Solaris 9005
Cupholder Ver 2.0 Part#77237-SOK-A02

gto2050 - The voice of absolutely no reason whatsoever!
Old 05-22-2001 | 02:17 PM
Race Director

i got wayy to many problems with my acura, but any american car would be 10x worse than this...

i wont be getting another acura again, atleast not with their current line-up, i think most people that say no more acura, are moving onto the german cars..

------------------
2001 CL-S
Black/Black
Moonroof Visor
35% Tint All Around
Black Wood Dash Kit
Sportswing spoiler
My Bitch
aka Deadly-CLs
Old 05-22-2001 | 02:18 PM
Burning Brakes

do not second guess yourself, you got a great car.
people are just crybabies sometimes.
you will however find a wealth of info here should you need it.

------------------
01 BLK/BLK CL-S, FACTORY SPOILER, K/N DROP IN
98 INFINITI I30T
99 MAXIMA SE
Old 05-22-2001 | 02:23 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by amirsafdari:
i got wayy to many problems with my acura, but any american car would be 10x worse than this...

i wont be getting another acura again, atleast not with their current line-up, i think most people that say no more acura, are moving onto the german cars..

</font>
It just seems like everyone believes there will be less problems in a German car. Again, only my experience, but I had a hell of a time with a Porsche 944. The car would stall for no reason at any time (yes, it was an automatic, but I can drive a manual very well ) and if the distributor cap got wet the car wouldn't start. Add to that a leaky sunroof, and a malfunctioning microprocessor chip and I think we have a lemon.

Hmmm, maybe I have terrible luck with cars?!?!? I certainly don't paint a bright picture.

------------------
Old 05-22-2001 | 02:24 PM
Banned

I am truly happy with my CL-S and I will buy an Acura again in the future.

If/when I get married and need a sedan I will be looking at the TL or TL-S.

I plan to keep my CL-S until it can no longer run, I am purchasing it, no leasing so I am in it for the long run.

I am happy with the mods available and the ones that are in the works.

I have had no major problems and don't see any on the horizon. This is hands down the best car that I have owned so far in my short 24 year life.

Enjoy your car and don't read too much into the ranting and ravving of the members, they have bad days just like everyone else.

------------------
avengerjr
2001 CL-S Satin Silver / Ebony Interior / Non-Navi[*] spoiler , wheel locks , 20% tint , fenderwell trim[*] mud guards , winter floor mats , full nose mask[*] Xephyr CAI
Old 05-22-2001 | 02:37 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mfnlaw:
This is my natural curiosity rearing its pretty little head...

Why, all of a sudden, is everyone complaining about their cars? I was lurking on this forum for a bit before I purchased mine, and I can't remember seeing a *truly* bad word written about the CL. Now, a number of people are vowing never to buy an Acura again.

I'm trying to keep it in perspective. My last car (Ford Contour--I know it was a mistake.) had extra bolts in the engine, thunked when I made a right hand turn and that was all within the first week. After 30K miles, I unexpectedly lost my brakes while driving in dowtown DC. Turns out that something rubbed up against the brake lines and cut them, which Ford knew about but never properly fixed on my car. So, if I have less trouble than that with my CL-P I will be overjoyed.

Thoughts? Comments? Rants? I'll even take contrary opinions.

</font>

It is called "human nature"

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 10 coats of Zaino magic
Old 05-22-2001 | 02:41 PM
Suzuka Master

I still love mine!

But, everyday I get into it and I wish it was a little bit bigger and the steering wheel tilted higher.

Or, maybe in 20 years, I will start to shrink! Yeah, that will work!! WOOOHOOO

-Ash
Old 05-22-2001 | 02:43 PM
The Creator

Just ignore it.

Most everyone here goes through phases... it has to do with the position of mars & the moon or something.

Well go thruogh a month where all you see is either bullshit, rambling, or complaning in the forum...

Then youll have a month chock full of great posts.... then another month of crap... and so on and so on.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow FogsValentine 1Xephyr CAI

"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity." -Albert Einstein
Old 05-22-2001 | 02:45 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by soopa:

Well go thruogh a month where all you see is either bullshit, rambling, or complaning in the forum...

Then youll have a month chock full of great posts.... then another month of crap... and so on and so on.

</font>
What phase are we in now, Adam?

------------------
Xephyr CAI
Polarg M6
Solaris 9005

Old 05-22-2001 | 02:46 PM
The Creator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gto2050:
What phase are we in now, Adam?
</font>
Look at the topic listing in Car Talk... how many angry red faces do you see?

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow FogsValentine 1Xephyr CAI

"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity." -Albert Einstein
Old 05-22-2001 | 02:48 PM
Burning Brakes

i'm quite content with my cl-p as i've mentioned in several of my posts. i think the reason why i hear squeaks and rattles in the car is because it is relatively quiet inside and any little sound is noticeable but most of them, if not all, are fixable easily. i wouldn't mind buying another acura in the future.....and for the price, i think it ain't bad at all. try driving my civic (which i plan on getting rid of in a couple of days), then you'll know what a great car the acura you have is! look at it from a different perspective, i think!!!

------------------
CL-P....icy white!
moon roof visor
mud guards
genuine acura nose mask
genuine acura burlwood shift knob
polarg m-12 on blinkers
m-4s on internal lamps
m-4 on rear plate lamp
piaa bulbs on road lamps
K&N drop in filter
Catz XLO Driving lights
zaino polish
"i drive it like my grandma....j/k"

[This message has been edited by icy CL (edited 05-22-2001).]
Old 05-22-2001 | 02:48 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Look at the topic listing in Car Talk... how many angry red faces do you see?

</font>
Ha ha, I'm only kidding. I don't see saabman4ever, tom2, or gavrill posting at the moment either!

------------------
Xephyr CAI
Polarg M6
Solaris 9005

Old 05-22-2001 | 02:52 PM
Race Director

ok well, yeah, you guys are talking like this cause you have no problems

i have:
rattles
sometimes my speakers go out on 1 side, untill i go on a curb..
sometimes car wont start for no reason
transmission is confused
often vibrations
oh yeah, my actuator is not working
seatbelts not going back up
when the a/c is off, IT STILL LETS THROUGH LOTS OF COLD AIR, i know other cars do this, but in the acura its worse..
PLUS sometimes if the car is on, and i keep it on low RPM it turns itself off, while shaking the whole cabin mildly..though i got that fixed..

------------------
2001 CL-S
Black/Black
Moonroof Visor
35% Tint All Around
Black Wood Dash Kit
Sportswing spoiler
My Bitch
aka Deadly-CLs
Old 05-22-2001 | 02:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Just ignore it.

Most everyone here goes through phases... it has to do with the position of mars & the moon or something.

</font>
Oh No -- are we going to have the Astrological forecast section for Acura....

Todays forecast, broken actuators are possible. We looked at the production date and noticed a square with angry Mars. Be careful and stay below 4000 rpm during the week of 27th.

Our Capricorns are advised to stay away from the board for the next 2 days due to the dark influence of Pluto.

Our Aries members are going to be in a belligerent and war like mood. Post wars will be rampant, come back in 2 weeks when the holy war car designers come back with cooler heads.

"The Acura Astrologer" a new feature coming soon to your board....

------------------
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Silver AEM CAI

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 05-22-2001).]
Old 05-22-2001 | 02:56 PM
Race Director

what about me??
i am gemini?

------------------
2001 CL-S
Black/Black
Moonroof Visor
35% Tint All Around
Black Wood Dash Kit
Sportswing spoiler
My Bitch
aka Deadly-CLs
Old 05-22-2001 | 02:57 PM
Coming to a city near you

when the a/c is off, IT STILL LETS THROUGH LOTS OF COLD AIR, i know other cars do this, but in the acura its worse..

</font>
Mine does that too, I just raise the temp up and then turn it back off. But it seems like you can never really turn it off completely. There is always air coming out of it. And if you open the sunroof/windows then it comes out even faster.

------------------
Now it's time for me to make my impression felt
So sit back, relax, and strap on your seatbelt
You never been on a ride like this befo'
Old 05-22-2001 | 02:59 PM
Instructor

Just ignore it.

</font>
It doesn't bother me; I was just looking for some explanation of this phenomenon.

I understand all of this--it's cyclical, human nature, etc... but anyone who reads this forum looking for opinions on the car is going to come away with a very skewed view. Now, if this is the only thing they rely on to form an opinion, that's idiocy taken to its highest level. (Nothing against any of our fine upstanding members).

It just amazes me sometimes that a rattle one day is no big deal, but the next day it's cause for never buying another Acura (simplified version--it is more complicated than that). I love my car, I have a great time driving it, but that doesn't mean I'm blind to its faults. As I said before I try to keep it all in perspective.

------------------
Old 05-22-2001 | 02:59 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Achance:
Mine does that too, I just raise the temp up and then turn it back off. But it seems like you can never really turn it off completely. There is always air coming out of it. And if you open the sunroof/windows then it comes out even faster.

</font>
Even with it off you can still regulate the temp by turning the temp dial. If you don't want air, put it on recirculate.

------------------
Xephyr CAI
Polarg M6
Solaris 9005

Old 05-22-2001 | 03:00 PM
Unregistered Member

You had extra bolts in the engine? Where did Ford put them?

------------------
99 M3
dead CL-S

Tom2: The Voice Of Reason and Captain of the Bullshit Police.
Old 05-22-2001 | 03:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

what about me??
i am gemini?

</font>
From Jan 1st through Dec 31st, geminis are prone to post-whoring!
Old 05-22-2001 | 03:04 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tom2:

</font>
Wrong post Tom2? Huh? Bolts?

------------------
Xephyr CAI
Polarg M6
Solaris 9005

Old 05-22-2001 | 03:05 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EricL:
Our Aries members are going to be in a belligerent and war like mood. </font>
So that's what wrong with me today?!

------------------
Xephyr CAI
Polarg M6
Solaris 9005

Old 05-22-2001 | 03:07 PM
Banned

If Ford, Chrysler and GM would clean up their act, I would be in a domestic brand car right now. Domestics have good designs, but follow through is just terrible. I only have one rattle in the CL-S and that goes away when I pull the sunroof shade closed. Not a big deal. You want rattles? Go rent a Buick Century. I was in one of those for a week, and it was a wrack. Don't get me wrong, the accelleration was good enough, but the car was obviously beat on. If I didn't have the money for a CL, I probably would have gome with a Malibu, Impala, Contour, possibly a Stratus.
Also, style comes into mind. If I had a choice between an Accord ($22,840) or Impala, I'd go with the Impala SS ($23,000).
I test drove both and I don't like the Accord. It doesn't handle nearly as well as the CL-S.

------------------
Red 3.2 CL-S.
"Life is too short not to be Italian." -Paul Sorvino
"How do you expect your date to turn over if your engine doesn't?" -Original
Proud member of "I didn't hit the curb like a dope and scratch my rims" club.
Old 05-22-2001 | 03:12 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Scorpius:
If Ford, Chrysler and GM would clean up their act, I would be in a domestic brand car right now. Domestics have good designs, but follow through is just terrible. I only have one rattle in the CL-S and that goes away when I pull the sunroof shade closed. Not a big deal. You want rattles? Go rent a Buick Century. I was in one of those for a week, and it was a wrack. Don't get me wrong, the accelleration was good enough, but the car was obviously beat on. If I didn't have the money for a CL, I probably would have gome with a Malibu, Impala, Contour, possibly a Stratus.
Also, style comes into mind. If I had a choice between an Accord ($22,840) or Impala, I'd go with the Impala SS ($23,000).
I test drove both and I don't like the Accord. It doesn't handle nearly as well as the CL-S.

</font>
LOL -- I got a Sunfire as a rental car, and this think made so much noise that it sounded like someone was crushing marbles with a hammer in a lunch pail. When I mentioned the noise to the car rental folks, that just said it was normal. On the other hand, the Grand Am I got the "last" time was dead quiet (it had 30 miles on it)

------------------
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Silver AEM CAI
Old 05-22-2001 | 03:14 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tom2:

</font>
I have no idea how they got there, and I probably still don't want to know. But I made them replace it. Must have been a car built on a Monday or Friday. "Quality" was not "Job #1" that day....

------------------
Old 05-22-2001 | 03:32 PM
Racer

You guys that aren't having real problems and are dogging the car are just whiners!! I have friends that drive more expensive cars (porsche, corvette, bmw) and they all really like the CL, esp the interior look and features like the auto seat movement for back seat passengers, tilting passenger side mirror, VSA, and of course the navigation. What I am trying to say here is that we have really great cars and there really is nothing out there that compare preformance or feature wise unless you spend about 10k more.

Not only this but I haven't had one real problem with my car since I bought it back in October... so you guys need to quit WHINING!
Old 05-22-2001 | 03:37 PM
Racer

You guys that aren't having real problems and are dogging the car are just whiners!! I have friends that drive more expensive cars (Porsche, corvette, BMW) and they all really like the CL, esp the interior look and features like the auto seat movement for back seat passengers, tilting passenger side mirror, VSA, and of course the navigation. What I am trying to say here is that we have really great cars and there really is nothing out there that compare performance or feature wise unless you spend about 10k more.

Not only this but I haven't had one real problem with my car since I bought it back in October... so you guys need to quit WHINING!
Old 05-22-2001 | 04:06 PM
Racer

You guys that aren't having real problems and are dogging the car are just whiners!! I have friends that drive more expensive cars (Porsche, corvette, BMW) and they all really like the CL, esp the interior look and features like the auto seat movement for back seat passengers, tilting passenger side mirror, VSA, and of course the navigation. What I am trying to say here is that we have really great cars and there really is nothing out there that compare performance or feature wise unless you spend about 10k more.

Old 05-22-2001 | 04:11 PM
Banned

Yo beestea no need to post it 3 times... we got what your saying

------------------
avengerjr
2001 CL-S Satin Silver / Ebony Interior / Non-Navi[*] spoiler , wheel locks , 20% tint , fenderwell trim[*] mud guards , winter floor mats , full nose mask[*] Xephyr CAI
Old 05-22-2001 | 04:13 PM
Rod
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by beestea:
What I am trying to say here is that we have really great cars and there really is nothing out there that compare performance or feature wise unless you spend about 10k more.

</font>
Exactly, and then the only car that really comes to mind with those extra 10K is the 330 and I don't think it's worth it. Maybe some of you really like it b/c of the fact that it comes in stick, but I wanted an auto so when I considered the BMW, it was an auto 330.
Old 05-22-2001 | 04:14 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by avengerjr:
Yo beestea no need to post it 3 times... we got what your saying

</font>

Haha.. I wanted my point to be heard loud and clear!!!

No actually I couldn't reach the server temporarily but I guess the message got posted each time I hit submit?
Old 05-22-2001 | 04:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Don't get me wrong, I love my car and it's definetly one of the better cars that I have had so far.

I post the issues with my transmission because I would like to know if anyone else has had any problems, not to bitch about it. I don't like they way I have been treated so far in regards to service i've received in regards to the current ordeal that I am going through. When you get told 'Point Blank' and accused of abusing your car when you haven't (maybe they just didn't word it the right way when they talked to me, either way i'm not happy about it )

The car itself has proven so far as to be more reliable (cross my fingers) then the stories I have heard about the BMW's, and Audi's.

Everyone just has to understand that I am not bitching, I just wanted to let everyone know what I am going through right now considering the fact that I don't believe I drive my car any worse, or abusive than anyone else here. I was one of the first people to take delivery of the CL Type S (back in February/March of last year) and by nature I think I probably put more mileage on it than most others (currently have 27505). I didn't mean this to startle anyone, just to let others know.

If you have any problems with this then definetly voice your opinions, I for one am not going to take it negatively.

-Johnny

------------------
01'
Black/Ebony CLS
Old 05-22-2001 | 04:54 PM
Banned

You guys all talk about the BMW being so reliable!!! Yeah...for the first 30K..but the cost of maintenance will break you in the long run.

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Black Tint all around (15%~45%)
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers (hehehe...I got something for you drchang!!)
14.698 @95.977mph....Sears Point Raceway.I think I need a Level 10 Torque Converter!!
Yes, I know I'm going to hell for wasting gas on Civics....
Old 05-22-2001 | 05:06 PM
Suzuka Master

If you've seen the shitty road in dc you'll realize that ANY CAR will rattle and need a alignment everyother month. I hate driving in DC. fooken not even 1/8 of a mile of good pavement. all the roads are doing construction, pot holes and other crap.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter.Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers,Springs,Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.Polarg m6

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 05-22-2001 | 05:06 PM
Mild Mannered Reporter

If you're a taurus, see your florist. And if you're a gemini, well you can expect the unexpected.

- Kentucky Fried Movie

------------------
2001 CL-S Satin Silver/Ebony
Factory Spoiler/18% Tint/BEL Vector LR Radar(Hardwired)
No MODS...It's fast enough!
Old 05-22-2001 | 05:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Just ignore it.

</font>
Ya..it's one of those cycles

------------------
- Kvit -
2001 CL-P Monterey Blue, Parchment interior
• Polarg BlHybrid M-6 Road lamps
• Polarg/PIAA super white interior lights *bling bling*
• HP Quantum 28 -- 31% metallic tint all around

• [Photopoint Album Pics]
• [So.Cali. Nite Meet 5/17: Tustin Black Angus Pics]
• [So.Cali. Nite Meet 5/17: Tustin Black Angus Pics II]

Other
• [Yamaha Home Theater Gear]
• [DVD List]
• [Summer Sunday Cali. BBQ: Irvine Park]
Old 05-22-2001 | 07:01 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JSuppi:
Don't get me wrong, I love my car and it's definetly one of the better cars that I have had so far.

I post the issues with my transmission because I would like to know if anyone else has had any problems, not to bitch about it. I don't like they way I have been treated so far in regards to service i've received in regards to the current ordeal that I am going through. When you get told 'Point Blank' and accused of abusing your car when you haven't (maybe they just didn't word it the right way when they talked to me, either way i'm not happy about it )

The car itself has proven so far as to be more reliable (cross my fingers) then the stories I have heard about the BMW's, and Audi's.

Everyone just has to understand that I am not bitching, I just wanted to let everyone know what I am going through right now considering the fact that I don't believe I drive my car any worse, or abusive than anyone else here. I was one of the first people to take delivery of the CL Type S (back in February/March of last year) and by nature I think I probably put more mileage on it than most others (currently have 27505). I didn't mean this to startle anyone, just to let others know.

If you have any problems with this then definetly voice your opinions, I for one am not going to take it negatively.

-Johnny

</font>
Jsuppi... Dude I wasn't including you on my bitching statement... Transmission is obviously a very serious problem and I think everyone wants to know if you are having a serious problem. That is the whole idea behind this forum is sharing important valuable information!

I was talking about people that are saying they hate the car because of too many rattles, or bad paint job, or crappy stock tires. Show me a car that doesn't have these problems and I will show you a car that costs at least 60k.
Old 05-22-2001 | 07:03 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS:
If you've seen the shitty road in dc you'll realize that ANY CAR will rattle and need a alignment everyother month. I hate driving in DC. fooken not even 1/8 of a mile of good pavement. all the roads are doing construction, pot holes and other crap.
</font>

No kidding man... Driving through DC or parts of Arlington sometimes make me wish I had a boat of a car like the GS400 or S500 so I could just float right over the rough spots.