Some Transmission Comments

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2001 | 07:04 AM
Pro

Some Transmission Comments

Hey guys- I posted in reply to some questions on the TL Board- you might want to check it out

http://acura-tl.com/forum/showthread...threadid=26901
Old 11-17-2001 | 07:53 AM
Drifting

Re: Some Transmission Comments

Originally posted by wayneg
Hey guys- I posted in reply to some questions on the TL Board- you might want to check it out

http://acura-tl.com/forum/showthread...threadid=26901
I'm sorry, but I don't buy it. I think a tranny fluid change every 7,500 miles is expensive. I don't think it is cheap insurance, as I have a warranty (that's my insurance). I see this as additional funds for dealers (unless they are providing this service at cost?), and the insurance is for Acura (unless they are providing this service free?). Until somebody can actually say what is causing the higher (in my opinion) failure rate I'll stay with the book. Also, you "indicate" that the rate is not alarming, if not why added measures to correct it?
Old 11-17-2001 | 01:44 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Wayne, i think that you are right,
"OMG if i service my transmission every 7500 i won't be able to get any mods" - believe me i would rather pay a little extra than to have down time, i'm going through that right now. after the accident, its been 3 weeks today since i last drove my car, and as far as too frequent of a service - it can't hurt! I rotate my tires every 3000 miles, yeah its a "couple" of dollars more but who cares! i only drive about 8000 miles a year, so it will be a transmission fluid change once a year, no big deal as far as i can see

it all comes down to the almighty dollar, and who wants to spend it

now also there have been discussions over prices of service and here is an example of how a service can cost more, if a person makes 2 calls one to park ave and another to some other dealer without asking for details he may get 2 very different prices, always be sure and ask about all the details
Old 11-17-2001 | 01:47 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Re: Re: Some Transmission Comments

Originally posted by CO-CL-S

(unless they are providing this service at cost?), and the insurance is for Acura (unless they are providing this service free?).
do you work for free? are you a non profit organization?
and as for insurance for acura, some people may already be over the milage on there warranty
Old 11-17-2001 | 04:19 PM
Old timer

Re: Re: Re: Some Transmission Comments

Originally posted by acura_service

They got around $31k from me. They can f*cking give me a car that works.

(IOW, don't try that bull in this thread.)
Old 11-17-2001 | 06:53 PM
www.drippinwet.com

dude, your taking it the wrong way, i'm not saying that anyone should get a shit car for what they paid, all i'm saying is, i agree if an extra service would save a possible problem. i'm all for it
but there are some cheap people out there that don't want to spend any more if they have to, yes cheap peple come from all walks of life and there are some on the board here as well
Old 11-17-2001 | 08:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: Re: Some Transmission Comments

Originally posted by CO-CL-S

I'm sorry, but I don't buy it. I think a tranny fluid change every 7,500 miles is expensive. I don't think it is cheap insurance, as I have a warranty (that's my insurance). I see this as additional funds for dealers (unless they are providing this service at cost?), and the insurance is for Acura (unless they are providing this service free?). Until somebody can actually say what is causing the higher (in my opinion) failure rate I'll stay with the book. Also, you "indicate" that the rate is not alarming, if not why added measures to correct it?
Park Avenue Nazi says: NO JENS FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-17-2001 | 09:19 PM
Cruisin'

I have 5,294 miles on my car now, when is the best time to change my fluid, is 10k miles good? i see people changing it at 7,500 miles. My car doesnt shift hard, its still smooth even with me racing it every weekend.
Old 11-17-2001 | 10:04 PM
Suzuka Master

I can only speak for myself, but I'm going to make sure the fluid is completely flushed out and "completely" changed (to look like brand new fluid) every 7500 miles (or sooner, since I don't accumulate that many miles per year).

IMO -- it may cost $$$ to change fluids too often, but I really change all of my fluids (brake, coolant, ATF, engine oil, etc) before the factory mileage requirement.

AS to weather this fixes the tranny problems -- god knows. I still am waiting for coherent information.
Old 11-17-2001 | 11:37 PM
Old timer

dude, your taking it the wrong way, i'm not saying that anyone should get a shit car for what they paid,
That's right, you didn't say that. What you said is, "do you work for free? are you a non profit organization?" to imply that we should have to shell out additional money for a problem with the car we didn't know about upon purchase.

Which is why I said, "They got around $31k from me. They can f*cking give me a car that works."

Old 11-18-2001 | 12:29 AM
www.drippinwet.com

Originally posted by JRock

That's right, you didn't say that. What you said is, "do you work for free? are you a non profit organization?" to imply that we should have to shell out additional money for a problem with the car we didn't know about upon purchase.

Which is why I said, "They got around $31k from me. They can f*cking give me a car that works."

well your asking a dealer to do work on your car at cost, it is not warranty work, only a service reccomendation

and a problem you didn't know about upon purchase, are you living in a fantasy land? name me one car make/model that hasn't had any mechanical failures

so don't listen to the above advice, just grab the phone and cry to acura if you have any transmission problems then post how you don't like driving the loaner they gave you

like i said its all about the almighty buck and how some people can't part with it
Old 11-18-2001 | 01:07 AM
hater

and a problem you didn't know about upon purchase, are you living in a fantasy land? name me one car make/model that hasn't had any mechanical failures

so don't listen to the above advice, just grab the phone and cry to acura if you have any transmission problems then post how you don't like driving the loaner they gave you

like i said its all about the almighty buck and how some people can't part with it
You've got some fucking nerve, service boy. So what if you only drive 8,000 miles a year. Some of us do 30,000 a year. Are we cheap because we don't want to pay for a tranny flush every quarter when the goddamned manual states a flush is recommended every 15,000 miles? Oh, look at Mr. Fucking Acura. He doesn't mind parting with the money because he's a fucking mechanic who has access to a lift, knows exactly what he's doing and only pays for materials. What's that run you, big guy? Twenty fucking dollars?

I've owned two Chevrolets and three Fords before this Acura and NOT a ONE of them was as troublesome as this car has been. That includes the '90 Ford Ranger that I drove into the fucking ground and the '83 Camaro that had 137,000 miles on it when I traded it in on the Ranger.
Old 11-18-2001 | 01:15 AM
www.drippinwet.com

Originally posted by droideka

You've got some fucking nerve, service boy. So what if you only drive 8,000 miles a year. Some of us do 30,000 a year. Are we cheap because we don't want to pay for a tranny flush every quarter when the goddamned manual states a flush is recommended every 15,000 miles? Oh, look at Mr. Fucking Acura. He doesn't mind parting with the money because he's a fucking mechanic who has access to a lift, knows exactly what he's doing and only pays for materials. What's that run you, big guy? Twenty fucking dollars?

I've owned two Chevrolets and three Fords before this Acura and NOT a ONE of them was as troublesome as this car has been. That includes the '90 Ford Ranger that I drove into the fucking ground and the '83 Camaro that had 137,000 miles on it when I traded it in on the Ranger.
1) if i drove 50,000 miles a year i would do it
2) yes you do sound CHEAP
3) i'm not a "technician" and i do pay for the service
4) if you can't afford it maybe you should have bought a neon, kia or a hyundai
5) if its so troublesome, simply trade it or sell it.
Old 11-18-2001 | 08:10 AM
Drifting

Re: Re: Re: Some Transmission Comments

and as for insurance for acura, some people may already be over the milage on there warranty
No I don't work for free, and I'm not a non profit organization. If I screw something up, then I take responsibility for it and make it right for my customer. The person I was responding to was making a suggestion that would increase business to him (that is/was not in the initial deal, 'read' as in maintenance schedule).
If I am already over 50,000 I may still have an extended warranty, if not then I got lucky and have a "good" tranny and shouldn't need extra fluid flushes. What I'm saying is, I don't see the dealers or Acura stepping up to the plate on this issue and that disappoints me! YMMV
Old 11-18-2001 | 10:43 AM
hater

1) if i drove 50,000 miles a year i would do it
2) yes you do sound CHEAP
3) i'm not a "technician" and i do pay for the service
4) if you can't afford it maybe you should have bought a neon, kia or a hyundai
5) if its so troublesome, simply trade it or sell it.
1) I said 30K not 50K.
2) Golly gee, am I cheap. That must explain why I pay $50 for every oil change, every 3,750 miles at the dealer
3) My bad, thought you were. Still, you can't tell me you pay full price like us common folk.
4) See #2. I can defintely afford this car, I just don't like paying for shit that shouldn't have to be done on a NEW CAR!
5) Tell me how to get out of my lease and it's gone.
Old 11-18-2001 | 10:49 AM
www.drippinwet.com

Originally posted by droideka

I pay $50 for every oil change, every 3,750 miles
I just don't like paying for shit that shouldn't have to be done
and i said if "I" drove 50,000 miles a year
you pay $50.00 for an oil change, but don't want to service the transmission fluid at an extra interval?
Old 11-18-2001 | 11:07 AM
Cruisin'

15k miles that is a short period, but you should get good life out of them i guess. My 1991 Honda Accord got a drain/refill every 45,000 miles, and it ran until 198,000 mi before the trans died. Our Legend got treatment the same time the honda did. and it runs great. I would expect this newer car to have a much longer trans service interval also. But If it has to be done... I dont mind. As long as I get a GSR as a loaner like I did last time
Old 11-18-2001 | 11:38 AM
10th Gear

the bottom line is on a new car you shouldn't have to pay extra anything. I hate to say it cuz whenever someone says it's not about the money its about the principle, 99% of the time it's just about the money. But in this case I hafta to say it: It is about the principle. Why should a someone who bought a car (regardless of price) need to do preventative maintainence when Acura doesn't even know what the problem is. Acura should really be more proactive in finding what's wrong and doing something about it, rather than saying cough up money even though it might not even help and just hope your tranny lasts. I mean come on. Squaks rattles, sunroof problems, driver door window problems I can understand no biggie. An isolated tranny case, okay I understand. But it seems everyone is having ALL of the ABOVE. Just silly. It's a new car doesn't matter if it 300,000 30, 000 or even 8,000 dollars (like the cheap little korean cars). For this to happen is unacceptable. People can seriously be injured or killed cuz of this tranny issue, think about that. Just like the awd issue of the eclipses they just keep replacing the diff on those with the same fucked up stock units, hoping it doesn't happen again. Guess what, if you swap out shit for shit guess what you still have?
Old 11-18-2001 | 11:40 AM
Moderator Alumnus

How much is a transmission flush anyway?
I thought it wasn't all that much?

And why are people getting so freaked out on this idea?
It's been documented several times on this board that users
have had their tranny shift smoother after changing their fluid.
So it does make sense that changing your fluid more often is
better for your tranny.

It's just a suggestion, geez. And if you are a person who sits
there on a regular basis, and worries about their tranny, why not just do it? I'd rather pay that extra if it helps me chill out.

As for my opinion, I will probably just follow the book until my
warranty expires, and THEN start changing the tranny fluid
every 7500k. Until my warranty goes out I'll let Acura worry
about it. Maybe the last my few months of my warranty I'll
start beating the holy hell out of my car and see if I can get a
new tranny before the warranty expires!
Old 11-18-2001 | 11:49 AM
Race Director

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...398#post610874
Old 11-18-2001 | 11:50 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by gsxtasyd

Squaks rattles, sunroof problems, driver door window problems I can understand no biggie. An isolated tranny case, okay I
understand. But it seems everyone is having ALL of the ABOVE. Just silly.
Okay, I agree with the rest of what you said, but this part
is a total overstatement. Only 32 people (at my last count)
have had tranny problems, and some of us don't have ANY
of the problems you've mentioned.
Old 11-18-2001 | 12:38 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Originally posted by gsxtasyd
Squaks rattles, sunroof problems, driver door window problems I can understand no biggie. An isolated tranny case, okay I understand. But it seems everyone is having ALL of the ABOVE.
i have never had any of the above problems, the only thing i have had done is the wiper fluid flush

transmission replacements are a low percentage
Old 11-18-2001 | 02:44 PM
Old timer

and a problem you didn't know about upon purchase, are you living in a fantasy land?
Oh I'm sorry, I was supposed to know about a transmission problem plaguing the CL-S back in late April when I bought mine. A problem Acura still denies exists. Heck, unlike 90% of people interested in buying a CL, I actually visited this forum, so I had an extra source of info most buyers don't. Look at my reg date here. I was around months before I bought my CL. Even with that we still didn't know there was such a big problem.

Face it, you're WRONG. I hope to hell I never have to go to MotorWorld Acura if people as mentally incompetant as you work there.
Old 11-18-2001 | 03:27 PM
B A N N E D

From: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
I read in rthe manual to change it every 30k or does it say 15k..
Im not sure... sucks that we got to change the tranny fluid almost as much as we gotta chane oil..
Old 11-18-2001 | 03:37 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by StonedCL
I read in rthe manual to change it every 30k or does it say 15k..
Im not sure... sucks that we got to change the tranny fluid almost as much as we gotta chane oil..
I asked a tech manager at my dealer how soon the tranny fluid should be flushed. He gave me a quizzical look and said "we only do that like every 50k or if there's a problem".

I think the manual says every 30k.
Old 11-18-2001 | 04:07 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Oh I'm sorry, I was supposed to know about a transmission problem plaguing the CL-S back in late April when I bought mine. A problem Acura still denies exists. Heck, unlike 90% of people interested in buying a CL, I actually visited this forum, so I had an extra source of info most buyers don't. Look at my reg date here. I was around months before I bought my CL. Even with that we still didn't know there was such a big problem.

Face it, you're WRONG. I hope to hell I never have to go to MotorWorld Acura if people as mentally incompetant as you work there.
"and a problem you didn't know about upon purchase, are you living in a fantasy land? name me one car make/model that hasn't had any mechanical failures"

don't mix my words around, i meant every car has its problems, the Acura CL is not Plagued with transmission problems,
and as for coming to Motorworld Acura i wouldn't misjudge people whom you don't know or never had the oportunity to speak to.
Talk like that just shows how narrowminded and pathetic you really are
You sir are the prime example of buyers remorse, just for arguments sake, have you had a transmission problem?
Old 11-18-2001 | 04:14 PM
I love my CL-S

I got my cl-s for more then 15 months..i have absolutely no problems so far...(over 20000kms)

and yes..i use the sportshift everyday..not much tho
the car still feels really smooth
Old 11-18-2001 | 04:15 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Motorwold Acura is consistantly in the top 10 in the nation for Acura CSI

plus unless you spend some more cash on a car, you wouldn't have to deal with me anyway
Old 11-18-2001 | 04:25 PM
Old timer

, i meant every car has its problems
Then say what you mean, because that is not what you said.

don't mix my words around
Please show me where I mixed your words around: I did a direct copy/paste of something you said.

You specifically asked me if I was living in a fantasy world for not knowing about a (at that time RARE) transmission problem in a car I was considering purchasing. Asking something quite so ignorant and then trying to cover it up by claiming I'm mixing your words up is clever, but it won't work.

and as for coming to Motorworld Acura i wouldn't misjudge people whom you don't know or never had the oportunity to speak to.
You've done a good job of showing us how you think through the responses you've given in this thread.
Your opinion may not directly reflect your dealership, but your attitude still shines through.
Old 11-18-2001 | 04:44 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Please show me where I mixed your words around: I did a direct copy/paste of something you said.

You specifically asked me if I was living in a fantasy world for not knowing about a (at that time RARE) transmission problem in a car I was considering purchasing. Asking something quite so ignorant and then trying to cover it up by claiming I'm mixing your words up is clever, but it won't work.

You've done a good job of showing us how you think through the responses you've given in this thread.
Your opinion may not directly reflect your dealership, but your attitude still shines through.

to imply that we should have to shell out additional money for a problem with the car we didn't know about upon purchase
then i said

meaning the problems are not chronic and not a problem, it is acceptable failure percentages, every vehicle produced has some form of failure rate

i'm mearly making statements, your the one saying that the cars are problematic, where is your proof? what are your percentages of failures vs cars produced vs cars still on the road

as far as attitude:

"They got around $31k from me. They can f*cking give me a car that works."

"You've got some fucking nerve, service boy"

"the goddamned manual states a flush is recommended every 15,000 miles?

"Oh, look at Mr. Fucking Acura."

"he's a fucking mechanic "

"What's that run you, big guy? Twenty fucking dollars?
Old 11-18-2001 | 04:55 PM
Old timer

Excuse me? The only one of those I ever remember saying is the first one. What are those other quotes from that you are assigning to me?

Now you're making up quotes about me? What is this crap?!
Old 11-18-2001 | 05:01 PM
I love my CL-S

Excuse me? The only one of those I ever remember saying is the first one. What are those other quotes from that you are assigning to me?

Now you're making up quotes about me? What is this crap?!
come on..stop this fight guys...we are all good ppl here

let's stop posting reply to this topic and go wash ours car

peace
Old 11-18-2001 | 05:04 PM
Old timer

Well now he's writing lies about me, unless his quotes are from posts of mine I don't remember posting?

I'd like to see where those quotes came from, Acura_Service, because you're attributing them to me, but the only one I can remember actually saying to you is the first one (about $31k for a car that works.)

Not that any of what I say matters in this case, considering I don't represent anyone other than myself.
Old 11-18-2001 | 05:12 PM
Old timer

Aha, he's attributing things to me that droideka said. That's cute. What was I saying about mental incompetancy? Yeah...

Quit while you're behind, acura_service.
Old 11-18-2001 | 05:12 PM
www.drippinwet.com

JROCK, my sincerest apology, that was not you (i really thought you did reply back like that due to our bickering) it was actually posted by droideka

hey i can admit that i can be somewhat of an ass at times, and i like bickering with the best of them, but you really shouldn't presume i anything about the people i work with, i really love my job and the people at the dealership are great to work with

maybe we should quit this: but it is too dark to clean my car, and it would help if my car wasn't still in the body shop

remember its your car, and wayne only posted a reccomendation, you still have warranty to go by - to each his own
Old 11-18-2001 | 05:15 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Aha, What was I saying about mental incompetancy? Yeah...

nobody ever said i was all there - thats what multiple concussions from racing will do to you

Old 11-18-2001 | 05:39 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

It's funny. I read all the posts and I have never owned a car that requires as much transmission attention as this one. Quite frankly I don't think I EVER changed/flushed etc. my tranny fluid before. It was never an issue. However most of the cars I have owned have been sticks.
Old 11-18-2001 | 07:12 PM
Old timer

JROCK, my sincerest apology, that was not you (i really thought you did reply back like that due to our bickering) it was actually posted by droideka

hey i can admit that i can be somewhat of an ass at times, and i like bickering with the best of them, but you really shouldn't presume i anything about the people i work with, i really love my job and the people at the dealership are great to work with

maybe we should quit this: but it is too dark to clean my car, and it would help if my car wasn't still in the body shop
It's okay mang. We're straight now. Besides, I've been a bit of an ass around here myself lately.
Old 11-18-2001 | 07:43 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Cool
Old 11-18-2001 | 08:10 PM
Race Director

That's about the funniest thing I've ever seen. The rage and the anger reverted to kind words and friendship that quickly.

I don't even know what you guys were arguing about in the first place....uh, never mind.