Remote Start for 01 CLS Auto

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 09:31 AM
The Speed Nerd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Start for 01 CLS Auto

Hey All,

I was hoping to avoid this but the weather is getting colder and as my car gets older it is needing more time to warm up. I have read the threads on Remote Starts and figured it would be a safe Mod as long as someone reputable was going it.

Now the decision is which one. I have read a lot of uneasy comments about Compstar so I think I am basically deciding between the Viper 791xv or the Clifford RSX 3.5. I am looking for the following:

Remote Start
Alarm (that works well)
Window Control
Trunk Release

I had the Viper 791 on my old Subaru and while it did work well I remember having to change the battery all the time and always carrying a spare with me. I would like to avoid that experience again but if the Viper is the superior system then I will put up with the battery issue.

Thanks for your input!
Old 10-30-2006, 10:35 AM
B A N N E D

me personally wouldnt get a clifford matrix system. A clifford g5 avant gaurd 5 or 5.5 on the other hand yes. I had an avant gaurd g5 on me previous tls and had no problems whatsoever cost me $642.....had tilt, glass break, proximity, dual stage omni senors, and an extra self powered siren. But now on my new tls im gonna get the avant gaurd 5.5 almost $1k. Also when u get a remote start ur gonna have to give them 1 of your keys....i believe its actually the chip. Make sure they cut your and break it, so that only the chip is in your car....because a theif that knows his shit could use the key.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:58 AM
i'm ugly...go away

Originally Posted by STypeAcura
Hey All,

I was hoping to avoid this but the weather is getting colder and as my car gets older it is needing more time to warm up. I have read the threads on Remote Starts and figured it would be a safe Mod as long as someone reputable was going it.

Now the decision is which one. I have read a lot of uneasy comments about Compstar so I think I am basically deciding between the Viper 791xv or the Clifford RSX 3.5. I am looking for the following:

Remote Start
Alarm (that works well)
Window Control
Trunk Release

I had the Viper 791 on my old Subaru and while it did work well I remember having to change the battery all the time and always carrying a spare with me. I would like to avoid that experience again but if the Viper is the superior system then I will put up with the battery issue.

Thanks for your input!
Well, I just got the newest Python, which supposedly bought out viper. The one i just got is the Python 990. It has a one mile radius, remote start, windows up and down, trunk. Code hopping. Research it. i was told its not just the best one, but its the improved viper. Since Python and clifford bought out viper. Viper parts are used by DEI. Which DEI owns Python haha that was weird but yeh that's what was told to me.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
DEI owns all of them. All the same Company.

Except Compustar.
And I haven't heard a thing wrong with Compustar that was not a result of bad install.

I had a Viper 500ESP on my 02 CLS & it worked fine. Never had a problem. Had a shop do it & the only thing specfic to the CLS was the factory disarm wire had to be grounded out to stop the stock alarm from functioning completely.
Keep in mind you may need a uncut, but programmed key installed in the apadpter box under the dash. Unless there's a bypass harness included.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by datzdaboi
me personally wouldnt get a clifford matrix system. A clifford g5 avant gaurd 5 or 5.5 on the other hand yes. I had an avant gaurd g5 on me previous tls and had no problems whatsoever cost me $642.....had tilt, glass break, proximity, dual stage omni senors, and an extra self powered siren. But now on my new tls im gonna get the avant gaurd 5.5 almost $1k. Also when u get a remote start ur gonna have to give them 1 of your keys....i believe its actually the chip. Make sure they cut your and break it, so that only the chip is in your car....because a theif that knows his shit could use the key.
You have to give them a key and let them keep it? I'm trying to understand how this works, because I would like to get one soon also, but in your post, it says "make sure they cut your ? and break it" so I'm not sure exactly what you were talkin about. Also, isn't there some kind of relay you have to buy or somethin? Appreciate any help. Thanks.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:05 PM
Racer

+1 for viper 791XV. have it on my car and it works great. as far as the battery goes, don't use the backlight and it should last you a good while. well for me at least.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Landocommando12
You have to give them a key and let them keep it? I'm trying to understand how this works, because I would like to get one soon also, but in your post, it says "make sure they cut your ? and break it" so I'm not sure exactly what you were talkin about. Also, isn't there some kind of relay you have to buy or somethin? Appreciate any help. Thanks.
Cars that use a transponder key like Acura, need a signal from the microchip in the key head to the ignition in order to start. Remote start alarms need this same signal to start the car. The solution is to have a additional programed key(doesn't have to be cut can be a blank, but programmed) inserted into a box that reads the signal then transmits this to the alarm brain to signal the right key is used & start the car. It's a small simple box the key fits into, then gets hidden up under the dash.
Some alarms come with a wireharnes that plugs into the stock alarm & uses a code to do the same thing so no additional key is needed. This depends on the car & alarm.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:59 PM
3.2L Vtec

I have the Viper 791XV for sale with an extra remote pm me for details
Old 10-30-2006, 07:19 PM
Ricky Bobby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have never had a problem with my compustar and it has been on my CLS since I got it and had it put on a month after I got the car. That has been 6.5 years.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
fuzzy's right. DEI owns both and the viper series is their highest line. i use to install both vipers and cliffords. i have the 550esp on my ride and i don't have any complaints. i would go with a viper remote start system and if you don't want to deal with the battery situation then go with a non two way system. but they are both reliable&safe remote starters.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:32 AM
i'm ugly...go away

Originally Posted by m733l
fuzzy's right. DEI owns both and the viper series is their highest line. i use to install both vipers and cliffords. i have the 550esp on my ride and i don't have any complaints. i would go with a viper remote start system and if you don't want to deal with the battery situation then go with a non two way system. but they are both reliable&safe remote starters.

Does that mean I was jipped? I wanted the Viper 791 BUT the guy said you know what Rach...I'll hook u up with no extra charge for the new Python 990 which is more expensive.. blah blah. It has a one mile range and works through parking structures...which is true but ....i don't know about the reliability. :T
Old 11-01-2006, 06:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
[QUOTE=XBaDgEerLX]Does that mean I was jipped? I wanted the Viper 791 BUT the guy said you know what Rach...I'll hook u up with no extra charge for the new Python 990 which is more expensive.. blah blah. It has a one mile range and works through parking structures...which is true but ....i don't know about the reliability. :T[/QUOTE

python is also owned by DEI. 2 yrs ago the viper791 was the top-of-the-line 2way remote starter. im sure they made upgrades by now but at any rate the viper series is their best line
Old 11-01-2006, 07:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 109 Posts
i want to see pics of your car and the mods you have already
Old 11-01-2006, 10:37 PM
The Speed Nerd

Originally Posted by MSW 6SP
i want to see pics of your car and the mods you have already

Hey- thanks for the interest. My car looks strikingly similar to yours actually. I just got the kit and grille from Rondy himself this week! I took pics but then my sister borrowed my camera to take pics of my nephew for halloween. So hopefully I will get the pics up this weekend.