Quick question: Hard 1>2 shift?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2001, 12:56 PM
hater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick question: Hard 1>2 shift?

I thought there was another topic for this, but I cannot find it...

How hard is your 1>2 shift under WOT in a straight line? Mine's ROUGH, like bark the tires, wheel hop, lunge forward rough. It's difficult to fully imply just how hard it is via the written word, but believe me folks, this mofo wants to leave the tarmac. Is this normal? I've got 18.5K miles on the car so far and need to take it in for an oil change this weekend.

Thanks in advance!

------------------
a study in pimp daddy gold
Old 03-14-2001, 01:09 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 644 Likes on 285 Posts
hey golden droid, mine does the same thing...it's pretty intense really..with my 18's on it's not as pronounced but it's still there...

------------------
Astroboy out...
2001 Acura CL Type S: Comptech: Headers, filter, sways, springs, koni shocks, goodridge braided brake lines, full kicker system
1996 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo: H&R Springs and sways, Bilstein shocks
Old 03-14-2001, 01:16 PM
Racer

Assuming you have stock rubber you may be breaking contact because your tires are on the way out.

------------------
Silver S
NOW IN THE SHOP AFTER ACCIDENT
Old 03-14-2001, 01:42 PM
hater

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mercury:
Assuming you have stock rubber you may be breaking contact because your tires are on the way out.
</font>
Yeah, my tires are in need of replacement, but the sensation I'm experiencing feels like the engine is going to be twisted right off its mounts at the 1.2 shift. Are you of the opinion that lack of traction could feel similar?

------------------
Old 03-14-2001, 01:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Mine is pretty rough as well. It always has been. I attribute it to Acura's relative lack of precision when it comes to automatic trannies. I've driven cars where the 1-2 shift is imperceptible except for a change in engine sound But I have NEVER driven a Honda product that didn't yank pretty hard on a WOT 1-2 shift.

[This message has been edited by GoldTypeS (edited 03-14-2001).]
Old 03-14-2001, 01:59 PM
Intermediate

My 1st guess (somewhat educated ) is that the 'intelligent' motor mounts may be having a brain 'fade' moment or doing a Homer Simpson simulation...forever.

I'd bet many of us don't know about the 'smart' motor mounts.

You don't say, but is this in SS (it forces the 1-2 shift) or 'full' auto where YOU choose when to go to 2nd?

Does it behave as described with AND withOUT VSA engaged? ...a good question to answer.
In general, wheel hop is usually a result of a suspension that can't control the torque being applied. This may mean that more 'instant' torque is hitting the output shafts. See guess #2 below.

guess #2:
Since the '01 CL coupe has a 'lock up' torque converter the 'lock' part may want to engage in 1st (its only supposed to be possible in 2nd thru 5th), does engage and then, just like throwing a 'speed' shift with a manual tranny, slams it into 2nd with NO 'cushion' from the slip of the torque converter. Just an idea at this point.

You'll probably need the dealer to solve this one but you'll need to convince them it IS a problem.

If you keep 'demonstrating' this behavior you may get to see some interesting drivetrain components whether you want to or not.

Shock loads to the drivetrain will eventually break something.

------------------
'01 Acura CL-S Black/Ebony, Nav-free
Old 03-14-2001, 02:02 PM
Soon to be, fairly famous

Droi: I've experienced similar and my car wasn't too far over 3K at the time. I need to make a left turn and traffic was coming so I almost floored it. The tires barked, I made the turn at just under Warp 7, and almost ended up in the backseat of a pickup that was going about 25 mph. Scared the crap outta me...didn't know production cars actually did that from stop.

------------------
PimpDaddy Gold, Deep Tint, BAAAAAD Attitude
Old 03-14-2001, 10:13 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
WOT and the second gear chirps the tires?nice! sounds like the car is giving you all it has.When driving at normal speeds the shifts are mostly of the unfelt variety but at WOT remember you are really pushing the car so don't be surprised if the the thing chirps the tires or does a little sidestep.When the trans refuses to shift or makes rude noises then it is time to worry.Jens

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA headlamp system tinted custom taillites and on and on
Old 03-14-2001, 10:24 PM
Pro

I have the same thing rough as hell feels like a manual held out of gear and reved up between one and 2. I tend to get alot of tire barking on the 1>2 shift. I have no clue if there is a problem with it though. Let me know how yours turns out. For me it does it in full auto D5 w/ or w/o VSA on.

------------------
2001 Acura CL Type S "Claire" non-navi No spoiler. Bone stock, for now.
~Member of the Scratched Rim Club.~
Old 03-15-2001, 12:54 AM
hater

Thanks for all the input and thoughts, guys. Maybe like Jens said, she's giving me all she's got!

Remember my thread way back when about torque steer? Maybe I should go and strap her to a dyno... she might just be a ringer.

------------------
Old 03-15-2001, 01:46 AM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by droideka:
Yeah, my tires are in need of replacement, but the sensation I'm experiencing feels like the engine is going to be twisted right off its mounts at the 1.2 shift. Are you of the opinion that lack of traction could feel similar?
</font>
Droideka,
Oh damn man, then you definetly don't want to get the AEM CAI When that VTEC kicks in with the IMRC open, it feels pretty scary as well.

Feels like the transmission is not expecting that extra punch, so it gives you a real jerky kick in the butt feeling. The scary thing is this feeling is at around 90-95 mph in Third makes me wonder if this is putting any added stress in the tranny...?

------------------
01'
Black/Ebony CLS