Quick question on any CAI.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 07:04 PM
Serenity Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick question on any CAI.

When you install a CAI I had heard that you have to have the computer redone or something so that it reads it is getting more air and thus uping your gas mileage. Did I hear him right or what? Thanks

And don't say use search.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:15 PM
Advanced

I actually noticed that my gas mileage increased. I am not too familar with this but all i did was disconnect the battery, and installed the CAI.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:39 PM
Racer

nope you don't, the ecu will see that the air coming in is colder from the IAT sensor and will see that the exhaust coming out is leaner so it will readjust its fuel maps to provide the perfect mixtures again 14.7:1, all this is done with in about 10 minutes of driving the car, the computers area really fats in todays cars especially when it comes to adjusting short term and long term fuel trim. i don't even disconnect the battery the ecu will adjust for the part almost immediately.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:31 PM
Intermediate

When I put my Icebox on it seemed to make my gas mileage go down!!don't mean to steal the thread but on the icebox, do you run the (potentially hot) coolant line above, or below and behind (maybe cooler) the mass air meter?? which is better?
Old 08-03-2005, 11:06 PM
Serenity Now

Originally Posted by civicking
nope you don't, the ecu will see that the air coming in is colder from the IAT sensor and will see that the exhaust coming out is leaner so it will readjust its fuel maps to provide the perfect mixtures again 14.7:1, all this is done with in about 10 minutes of driving the car, the computers area really fats in todays cars especially when it comes to adjusting short term and long term fuel trim. i don't even disconnect the battery the ecu will adjust for the part almost immediately.
So it reads it as you drive the car regular? You don't have to like let it sit or anything?
Old 08-03-2005, 11:12 PM
Bleed Honda Blue

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Our ECU is non programmable.

Originally Posted by CL-S Baller
When you install a CAI I had heard that you have to have the computer redone or something so that it reads it is getting more air and thus uping your gas mileage. Did I hear him right or what? Thanks

And don't say use search.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:45 AM
Racer

So it reads it as you drive the car regular? You don't have to like let it sit or anything?
nope the only time you have to let it sit is if you disconnect the negative battery cable, because it ahs to re-learn the idle, but if you just install it and go it will be fine the ecu will compensate for it.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:50 AM
Serenity Now

nope the only time you have to let it sit is if you disconnect the negative battery cable, because it ahs to re-learn the idle, but if you just install it and go it will be fine the ecu will compensate for it.
When you install you disconnect the battery? And if you do you don't disconnect the negative cable? Thanks for answering all the questions.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:33 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

You don't HAVE to disconnect the battery but the learning process will take longer. Disconnecting the negative side (no sparks) and leaving it disconnected for a few minutes resets the ECU (it has "learned" your driving habits) and starts it over as though you are driving for the first time. It also dumps your radio stations and your clock settings.

PS If you do disconnect the battery, disconnect the negative side, not the positive side. Arcing is very bad around a battery.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:32 PM
Instructor

if you disconnect the battery do you have to re enter a pin for the radio? Sorry to jack your thread
Old 08-04-2005, 06:43 PM
Relax!

^ yeup
Old 08-04-2005, 06:52 PM
Racer

When you install you disconnect the battery? And if you do you don't disconnect the negative cable? Thanks for answering all the questions.
i don't it does not need it and the learning process is not that long, i would say its about 45 minutes driving time as long as you drive it through the whole rev range ( thats an excuse to get high in the rpms), the reason i don't like to disconnect is that the comuter has adapted to the sensors and now lets say that you disconnect it you could get a check engine light because the ecu thinks a sensor is bad just becasue its old, such as on some cars the MAF sensor, the computer knows it working but old, because it can corrilate with the other sensors but when you disconnect the bettery the ecu goes whoa its bad its not with in the specified range. and its works like that with other sensors too, also you don't have to mess with the radio code and the idle re-learn procedure, i use a little device called a computer memory saver, its powered by a 9 volt battery and when you disconnect the batter its keeps the computers memory alvie really cheap and good to have here is a pic:

its great if you have to change the battery.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:20 PM
Serenity Now

i don't it does not need it and the learning process is not that long, i would say its about 45 minutes driving time as long as you drive it through the whole rev range ( thats an excuse to get high in the rpms), the reason i don't like to disconnect is that the comuter has adapted to the sensors and now lets say that you disconnect it you could get a check engine light because the ecu thinks a sensor is bad just becasue its old, such as on some cars the MAF sensor, the computer knows it working but old, because it can corrilate with the other sensors but when you disconnect the bettery the ecu goes whoa its bad its not with in the specified range. and its works like that with other sensors too, also you don't have to mess with the radio code and the idle re-learn procedure, i use a little device called a computer memory saver, its powered by a 9 volt battery and when you disconnect the batter its keeps the computers memory alvie really cheap and good to have here is a pic:

its great if you have to change the battery.
So you don't HAVE to disconnect the battery? You can just slap the CAI on and be done right? Thanks again.

Where can I pick this up? So it is pretty much like a memory card for the ECU? You plug it in and take it out before you disconnect the battery to get the memory and when you put the new battery in you plug it back in?
Old 08-04-2005, 07:39 PM
Racer

So you don't HAVE to disconnect the battery? You can just slap the CAI on and be done right? Thanks again.

Where can I pick this up? So it is pretty much like a memory card for the ECU? You plug it in and take it out before you disconnect the battery to get the memory and when you put the new battery in you plug it back in?
ok you don't have to disconnect the battery, next the thing your looking at is a memory saver, you plug in a 9 volt battery and plug it in your lighter socket, then when you disconnect the cars battery, the new 9 volt battery you have plugged in keeps the ecu alive, along with the radio and the body control modual, that way you don't have to reset radio and all that. its like that you connect the 9 volt battery the the memory saver, you plug it in your cigarette lighter, then you can disconnect the car battery, next you do what you have to do, then you reconnect the car battery and once thats done you can go and take out the memory saver out of the lighter socket.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:52 PM
Serenity Now

ok you don't have to disconnect the battery, next the thing your looking at is a memory saver, you plug in a 9 volt battery and plug it in your lighter socket, then when you disconnect the cars battery, the new 9 volt battery you have plugged in keeps the ecu alive, along with the radio and the body control modual, that way you don't have to reset radio and all that. its like that you connect the 9 volt battery the the memory saver, you plug it in your cigarette lighter, then you can disconnect the car battery, next you do what you have to do, then you reconnect the car battery and once thats done you can go and take out the memory saver out of the lighter socket.
Very nice Where can I pick this up?
Old 08-04-2005, 08:06 PM
Racer

Very nice Where can I pick this up?
any local auto parts store has them if not they can get them for you really fast usually about 1 day they cost about $8 and are really good when working on cars or changing the battery. it does not come with a battery so you need to buy one, or if you have some smarts you can make your own from radioshack parts but i'm lazy and just buy it.