Quick Question for all you Audio Headz!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 03:10 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick Question for all you Audio Headz!!!!

Ok....so i acquired my 01 CL-S about a month or so ago and i noticed that it had been pre-wired (under previous owner's care) for a subwoofer setup rather interestingly....I've done my fair share of audio installations in the past but usually on lower model honda's like Integra's, civic's or Legend's etc but never anything like this...but anyway...

So i trace the wires that were ran to this module in the trunk about the size of a computer mouse that looks to be some type of RCA input converter or something and it has no connection whatsoever to the factory amplifier.

My question to you guys is would it be a bad idea to remove the factory amplifier and replace it with one of my own that will be capable enough to power my subwoffer as well as the factory speakers? Utilizing the wires ran to the factory amp? or would it be a better idea to do it the old-fashioned way and run the amp straight from the battery to the sub etc. etc.

Facts:
Stock radio w/ navi
All stock Speakers
Old 10-19-2008, 04:18 AM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
probably will sound cleaner if u upgrade the amp on the stock speakers, im running two amps highs and lows, I ran it the traditional way from the battery and so on, I also had an aftermarket head unit though.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:34 AM
Advanced

Yea there inlies my problem....i still have the factory headunit because i like to use the steering wheel controls lol and can't afford to upgrade to a decent aftermarket one thats compatible with the Navi.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:02 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It is probably a hi-lo converter (SNI-35) so the amp that was powering the sub could see the correct signal to send the signal to the amp.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There are some problems with adding a aftermarket amp to the Bose system. 1st, I'm sure there is a diffrance in the input signal to the factory amp and what a aftermarket amp needs. 2nd, Is i think (Correct me if I'm wrong) the factory speakers are like 1ohm. To find a after market amp to correctly run at 1 0hm for mids anf highs is going to be difficult and it will run very hot. My opinion is the 1 ohm is not as clean as 4 ohms on a aftermarket amp. So i think you will get better sound with the factory amp on thoes speakers.

You can buy a gain controler to run you aftermarket sub amp in line with a Hi-low converter. Thats what I did. All you have to do is turn your bass down a bit on the deck, and turn the gain up a bit on the sub amp. Sounds just fine to me.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:39 AM
*6MT*

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CH46ESeaKnight
There are some problems with adding a aftermarket amp to the Bose system. 1st, I'm sure there is a diffrance in the input signal to the factory amp and what a aftermarket amp needs. 2nd, Is i think (Correct me if I'm wrong) the factory speakers are like 1ohm. To find a after market amp to correctly run at 1 0hm for mids anf highs is going to be difficult and it will run very hot. My opinion is the 1 ohm is not as clean as 4 ohms on a aftermarket amp. So i think you will get better sound with the factory amp on thoes speakers.

You can buy a gain controler to run you aftermarket sub amp in line with a Hi-low converter. Thats what I did. All you have to do is turn your bass down a bit on the deck, and turn the gain up a bit on the sub amp. Sounds just fine to me.
X2, I considered bypassing or replacing my factory amp, but the speakers read 1 ohm on my DMM.

Not too many 4 channel, or 2 channel amps are 1 ohm stable. You'd have to replace your speakers as well as the amp.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:37 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X3. Replace the blows spreakers!
Old 10-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by chtrcy
X3. Replace the blows spreakers!
Now there's a thought that definetaly crossed my mind....I'm still new to this site and this car lol...Does anyone know what size the Front Door speakers are? I really don't feel like tearing the doorpanel off to find out...also just a thought but does anyone know what kind of wattage the factory radio is capable of outputting? I don't want upgrade to a speaker thats going to require more juice then the radio can supply because i do plan on KEEPING the stock radio!

or if you guyz could point me in the right direction that'll work too...
Old 10-21-2008, 09:39 PM
*6MT*

6.5" in the front.

6x9" in the back.

Get a line out, and you can add an amp with your stock HU.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:25 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by alxmlr789
6.5" in the front.
6x9" in the back.
Get a line out, and you can add an amp with your stock HU.
are the 6.5's in the front oval shaped or round???
Old 10-22-2008, 02:40 AM
Pro

round. remember though the mounting depth isnt that deep in the rear so choose the right speaker or you'll have to get a spacer for the speakers. i had to raise my kappas about 1/8th of an inch so it wouldnt rub against the trunk rail.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:20 AM
*6MT*

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/%2A%2Aaudio-video-diy-info-faq-all-models-%2A%2A-299065/

This will make it a lot easier for you.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bonez21
Now there's a thought that definetaly crossed my mind....I'm still new to this site and this car lol...Does anyone know what size the Front Door speakers are? I really don't feel like tearing the doorpanel off to find out...also just a thought but does anyone know what kind of wattage the factory radio is capable of outputting? I don't want upgrade to a speaker thats going to require more juice then the radio can supply because i do plan on KEEPING the stock radio!

or if you guyz could point me in the right direction that'll work too...
You don't want to be doing that, adding aftermarket speakers to the stock system. Reason being is that most of your aftermarket speaers are 4 ohm, and the stock speakers are 1 ohm. That means your only going to get like 2 watts of power from that stock head unit and amplifier. The only way is to change the stock amp AND stock speakers. Can't change just one or the other. You'll need to change it all. I think there is a wire harness avalible to run an aftermarket 4-channel amp on the stock head unit. But you'll still need new speakers. As for that aftermarket wire harnnes your gonna have to research and search for it. I don't remeber off hand where it was avalible. Now that I think about it it might have been a harness to adapt a after market head unit to the factory amp and speakers. ????? sorry can't remember.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:26 AM
Advanced

You don't want to be doing that, adding aftermarket speakers to the stock system. Reason being is that most of your aftermarket speaers are 4 ohm, and the stock speakers are 1 ohm. That means your only going to get like 2 watts of power from that stock head unit and amplifier. The only way is to change the stock amp AND stock speakers. Can't change just one or the other. You'll need to change it all. I think there is a wire harness avalible to run an aftermarket 4-channel amp on the stock head unit. But you'll still need new speakers. As for that aftermarket wire harnnes your gonna have to research and search for it. I don't remeber off hand where it was avalible. Now that I think about it it might have been a harness to adapt a after market head unit to the factory amp and speakers. ????? sorry can't remember.
You've got a point there...that 1 ohm ordeal is starting to work my nerves...but anyway i have an extremely powerful 4 ch. amp that i plan on hooking up to power my sub and the interiors...so it would make sense for me to upgrade the speakers as well but as for the headunit....what purpose would it serve to get a harness to work with the stock H/U if i replace the stock amp with an aftermarket one? Especially since I'd be using the same connections that the factory amp had to power the aftermarket amp....wouldn't it be getting its power straight from the aftermarket amp if i were to do something like that? Or would the ohm-age from the H/U still cause own-age on my sound quality?!?!?

Feel free to drop your guyz!!!
Old 10-23-2008, 09:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bonez21
You've got a point there...that 1 ohm ordeal is starting to work my nerves...but anyway i have an extremely powerful 4 ch. amp that i plan on hooking up to power my sub and the interiors...so it would make sense for me to upgrade the speakers as well but as for the headunit....what purpose would it serve to get a harness to work with the stock H/U if i replace the stock amp with an aftermarket one? Especially since I'd be using the same connections that the factory amp had to power the aftermarket amp....wouldn't it be getting its power straight from the aftermarket amp if i were to do something like that? Or would the ohm-age from the H/U still cause own-age on my sound quality?!?!?

Feel free to drop your guyz!!!
Well if your gonna try that good luck! The factory amp does not have the same conections that your aftermarket amp will need, especially if it's as powerfull as you say! If you hook an aftermarket amp to your stock mids and highs you are going to have an exspensive paper weight for an amp! As far as your HU, it does not have the same output as an aftermarket HU. You have to get a harness. You should search the sticky forums under CL Audio. Not sure were to find it, but I'm sure you can search and find it. It will answer all your questions.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:56 AM
Advanced

Well if your gonna try that good luck! The factory amp does not have the same conections that your aftermarket amp will need, especially if it's as powerfull as you say! If you hook an aftermarket amp to your stock mids and highs you are going to have an exspensive paper weight for an amp! As far as your HU, it does not have the same output as an aftermarket HU. You have to get a harness. You should search the sticky forums under CL Audio. Not sure were to find it, but I'm sure you can search and find it. It will answer all your questions.
Thanks dude you've been a huge help...
Old 10-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Ro'sCL

it is for the signal to hook the amp up