Question for those with P2R plenums

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Question for those with P2R plenums

Does your back plenum leak oil out of the bottom? The oil comes from the PCV breather. Mine does, and i used new gaskets. So i took it back off and used hondabond but now theres a small vacuum leak because i didnt use a new gasket. Im putting a new gasket in tomorrow. So anybody else experiencing this? If you have what have you done to fix it? I told Josh from P2R and hes never heard of it.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:35 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No problem here when I detailed my engine bay last thursday. I'll take a look in a few minutes after I finish some work.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:47 PM
Uses turn signals in my

I looked and there was just some dirt near the area, but nothing different from other parts of the engine I haven't touched in a while. How much oil is coming out? I will have Sean look at mine when I go to get my intake powdercoated or polished.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:02 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey TCM 01 CL-S, for how much did you get your P2R intake? or was it free? lol
Old 04-16-2008, 11:12 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TCM 01 CL-S
I looked and there was just some dirt near the area, but nothing different from other parts of the engine I haven't touched in a while. How much oil is coming out? I will have Sean look at mine when I go to get my intake powdercoated or polished.
It wasnt that much but enough to notice. Did you use new gaskets with your installation? I did at first but when i took the rear one back off to seal it with some hondabond i did not use a new gasket. I have a new gasket coming in tomorrow because there is a vacuum leak there since i didnt use a new gasket the last time.

The hondabond made it so it doesnt leak any oil, but there is a vacuum leak. I might put the new gasket on with a very thin layer of hondabond on the lower portion of the gasket, since if it going to leak that where it comes from. Im also not sure if it was just leaking out from a very small spot and running down or if it was leaking all along the bottom. With the gasket it should be a pretty darn tight seal though. whats the torgue for the bolts that bolt down the plenums?
Old 04-16-2008, 11:17 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Originally Posted by turbo_911
hey TCM 01 CL-S, for how much did you get your P2R intake? or was it free? lol
Nope, it wasn't free.

Don't worry though, more information, including pricing will be out sometime soon about the 4" P2R intake .
Old 04-16-2008, 11:19 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Originally Posted by Silvaccordex01
It wasnt that much but enough to notice. Did you use new gaskets with your installation? I did at first but when i took the rear one back off to seal it with some hondabond i did not use a new gasket. I have a new gasket coming in tomorrow because there is a vacuum leak there since i didnt use a new gasket the last time.

The hondabond made it so it doesnt leak any oil, but there is a vacuum leak. I might put the new gasket on with a very thin layer of hondabond on the lower portion of the gasket, since if it going to leak that where it comes from. Im also not sure if it was just leaking out from a very small spot and running down or if it was leaking all along the bottom. With the gasket it should be a pretty darn tight seal though. whats the torgue for the bolts that bolt down the plenums?
We reused the factory gaskets. You will have to ask Sean about how tight to tighten them, he installed mine while it was on the dyno. Good luck, I'll still have him take a peek when I swing by in my car.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:22 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope, it wasn't free.

Don't worry though, more information, including pricing will be out sometime soon about the 4" P2R intake .
oh ok, cool thanks
Old 04-16-2008, 11:28 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Originally Posted by turbo_911
oh ok, cool thanks
Np, keep your eye out for a thread by PowerRev or a post by them in the dyno thread.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:29 PM
MP90 uninstalled

Im pretty sure the tq on the plenum cover bolts is 8.7ft/lb
Old 04-17-2008, 02:05 AM
Pro

We reused the factory gaskets. You will have to ask Sean about how tight to tighten them, he installed mine while it was on the dyno. Good luck, I'll still have him take a peek when I swing by in my car.
Im suprised you dont have a vacuum leak since you reused your old gaskets, which im sure were probably the gaskets that came on the car new. There crush gaskets so your supposed to replace those. I could be wrong though. Like i said i got a small vacuum leak after i removed mine so thats what im basing that off of. Ill update tomorrow after i install the new gasket, im going to check the mating surface too to make sure there not nicked or anything...Those can sometimes cause leaks if there big enough
Old 04-17-2008, 08:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 183 Posts
New gaskets? I didn't use any new gaskets? Your talking about the metal ones around the plenums? For the fittings I used the Teflon tape & some force to screw them into the plenum.
I have no leaks.
If you mean the gasket for the manifold I didn't use a new gasket there either. I do have the thermoblok spacer though.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:35 AM
MP90 uninstalled

They are not crush gaskets. They are reusable for the P2R plenum covers.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:43 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey,
If you keep leaking out oil from that spot you might want to look into a catch can. Remember oil goes back into the motor from the PCV. If you are gettin excess oil, that means you have to much blow by in the engine. A catch can will easily slove the problem for you. Just get it back on to where you no loner have a vacuum leak, and then put a catch can. It will keep inside your intake manifold alot cleaner too. Also when you put on the catch can. Keep an eye on the level, and see how fast if fills up, to make sure your piston rings, valve seals, etc are all still in good shape.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:34 AM
MP90 uninstalled

Originally Posted by PowerRev
Hey,
If you keep leaking out oil from that spot you might want to look into a catch can. Remember oil goes back into the motor from the PCV. If you are gettin excess oil, that means you have to much blow by in the engine. A catch can will easily slove the problem for you. Just get it back on to where you no loner have a vacuum leak, and then put a catch can. It will keep inside your intake manifold alot cleaner too. Also when you put on the catch can. Keep an eye on the level, and see how fast if fills up, to make sure your piston rings, valve seals, etc are all still in good shape.

First I want to say, "I am no expert on this issue". While I do not have the P2R plenum covers, I have pulled my upper intake several times over the 100000 miles I have owned my car and every time I have had a significant amount of liquid between the plenums them selves sitting in the upper intake manifold. It clearly flows into the back plenum cover due to acceleration of the car as it stays dirty and the front plenums or plenum cover is never dirty. About a 1/4"-1/8" deep of fluid under the IMRC flap cover on the upper intake manifold. I just dont think it has anything to do with excessive Blow by around the rings. My motor, has only seen M1 oil and I have had the same symptoms from day one. Even with the blower it is a mess up there after 6000 miles. I have a few theories about where it comes from but I dont really know. Its got to have something to do with the EGR but I dont know. If your problem is the same as what I am describing, I dont know where you would put a catch can to catch that mess. I dont think there is a practical place to catch the oil in the EGR ports with the OEM setup. ??????
Old 04-17-2008, 09:37 AM
MP90 uninstalled

There is definitely lots of oil running through the EGR ports as it is a known problem that they often clog from oil residue. Mine has at 50000 miles and was pretty dirty again at 85000 and at 100000 miles.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 183 Posts
I never had that much oil in the intake the 2 times I've pulled it?
Old 04-17-2008, 01:43 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by PowerRev
Hey,
It doesnt leak with the hondabond, but there is a slight vacuum leak, im guessing because i didnt put a new gasket in. In the honda manual it says to replace those anytime you remove them..along with the gasket on the top plate. Im going back in to put a new gasket in to fix the vacuum leak, not oil..I just brought that up because the last time i took it apart was to fix oil leaking out of it and i wanted to know if any of the rest of you have experience this. Maybe i just didnt tighten the bolts enuff..ill find out in few minutes when i put the new gasket in
Old 04-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by jproy
There is definitely lots of oil running through the EGR ports as it is a known problem that they often clog from oil residue. Mine has at 50000 miles and was pretty dirty again at 85000 and at 100000 miles.

The oil im talking about is definatly coming from the pcv tube. A catch can is a good idea anyways but that involves quite a bit of work. Nobody makes a bolt on for our car