Question for those with air tools

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 12:05 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for those with air tools

Hey Guys,

Well Santa brought me a 6hp 33gal Craftsman air compressor for xmas. Now I need to get me some air tools. I was thinking about getting a cheapo combo set but I'm never happy with anything cheap. I'd actually like to get an Ingersol Rand Titanium impact. (1000lb ft weighs less than 4lbs). They're about $200 though and I can get a decent impact and ratchet for less than $100. Hate to not get the badass one though. I've never owned an impact and I was wondering if any of them can be turned down so you can spin bolts on without overtorqueing them? I use my cordless drill for this and really like it. Can the air pressure just be turned down for tightening? What air tools are good to have?

I'm seriously considering this kit: Mechanic's Air Tool Kit

This one seems too cheap:
Starter Air Tooll Kit

Here is the bad boy:Titanium Impact

I'm leaning towards getting the Titanium impact and picking up a ratchet later. Anyone know what would be a comperable ratchet to this impact? What do you guys think? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Old 12-28-2003, 12:11 PM
WHO'S NEXT!!

IR is a very good brand for airtools. convienent because its available through dealers and not just restricted to the tool truck. the impact gun has a torque adjuster on it, but i wouldn't use it on anything thats too fragile, leave that to the air ratch or hand tools!
Old 12-28-2003, 12:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Unless you are doing work several times a week the Craftsman air tools are more than adequate. I have been using my Craftsman tools with my cars since '95 and still on the original set. They have performed hundreds of hours or trouble free service.

To very the applied torque, the easiest way is to low the pressure through the compressor's regulator.
Old 12-28-2003, 12:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

i like snap-on, and mac but then again i really havent had much experience with any others. you kinda get what you pay for with these kind of things, i would say go with the better one now cause if you take care of it, it will last forever
Old 12-28-2003, 04:53 PM
Racer

I sell air tools and other related equipment for a living. I would recommend IR's 2131. It is light, quiet but very powerful. Four torque settings are available. Comes with a two year warranty, but I like them because they never come back. The air hose inlet has a built in swivel, and since the body of the tool is high impact plastic (unbreakable) it is never cold or hot to handle, as opposed to a steel tool. Even the air outlet is located at the bottom of the handle instead of the nose. This means that when you do that set of lug nuts on that break dust covered wheel, the dust doesn't blow back in your face, same goes when you do a nut in an rusty or dirty area. Hope this helps. As for the best ratchet, IR's 1107 is the way to go; it recently replaced the old tried and true 107. These might be overkill somewhat for home use as Scalbert says, but if are seeking the best VALUE, these would be my choices.
Old 12-28-2003, 04:59 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Thanks for the advise guys! I just ordered a IR 2135ti (the titanium one shown above). I had been watching it on ebay and realized that 24 were already sold ond only one was left so I went for it. $195 shipped brand new. It's way overkill for me but I like the light weight and the fact that it will probably handle anything I can throw at it. I'm sure I'll be glad I have it when it comes time for sways and headers. Now to find a ratchet. ChucksTL, I'll have a look at the IR 1107. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:17 PM
Pro

I pretty much got the same thing from Santa. Except, I got the 30 gal. vertical. Mine came with a tool kit. It had a quick connect with a few male/female connectors and a hose. It also has an impact, ratchet and hammer. You may want to look into this because yours should have came with it, unless they were out. Check out these links.

If I am thinking right, this should be yours.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00916556000

Here is the one that I got.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00916555000

Believe it or not, but you actullay save money if you get it with the tools. Here is my exact compressor w/o the tolls.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00916731000
Old 12-29-2003, 09:30 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Yeah I saw that. The one I got is a horizontal with an oil free pump. I'm not sure exactly what the significance of that is but the ones without the kit are both oil free. You try out your tools yet? I can't wait. My brother-in-law who got me the compressor will be bringing it down soon.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:38 PM
-S namyaC-

Originally posted by ChadT
The one I got is a horizontal with an oil free pump. I'm not sure exactly what the significance of that is but the ones without the kit are both oil free.
It just means you don't have to worry with another mantainence item.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:44 PM
Suzuka Master

I have a 6HP 30 Gallon horizontal unit but mine is loud as crap. So I put it in the basement in a utility room which is isloated by another unused room. I then ran the air hose up through a hole into the garage. So now all I have is a coiled up hose and a noise free work space.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:50 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally posted by scalbert
I have a 6HP 30 Gallon horizontal unit but mine is loud as crap. So I put it in the basement in a utility room which is isloated by another unused room. I then ran the air hose up through a hole into the garage. So now all I have is a coiled up hose and a noise free work space.
Nice!
Old 12-29-2003, 10:02 PM

I got a dinosaur, an old Ingersol with a 80 gal tank . I'm soo cheap, got it used!
Old 01-13-2004, 08:34 PM
Pro

Yeah I saw that. The one I got is a horizontal with an oil free pump. I'm not sure exactly what the significance of that is but the ones without the kit are both oil free. You try out your tools yet? I can't wait. My brother-in-law who got me the compressor will be bringing it down soon.

Both of the compressors are the same. I thouhgt the same as you, but they are both oil free. It is just the way that the write up that sale. I would go back for the tools. Again, the compressors are exactly the same.

I have not had a chance to use any of the tools yet.

Mine is also pretty loud. But, i can live with it.

Go get you FREE tools.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:21 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

I have one as well. A few tips, cheap tools last about 2 years. The air has moisture init so get a bowl filter to take the water out. It's impossible NOT to have water in it. It is a by-product of pressurization. Make sure you drain the tank as well every once in awhile. You would be surprised how much moisture gathers in the bottom of the tank. Get an in-line oiler as well. Makes the tools last longer. My first set was a $80 combo from All-Trade at Costco. Lasted about a year or so. Trigger stopped working and I am sure it was lack of oiling that caused it or moisture, or a cobination of the two.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:58 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can compressors be switched 'ON' and loaded all the time? Or should the pressure be released when not in use?

I can't find the for mine. I turn it off and let the air out when done. The noise is bad in the garage. I was going to move it to the basement, like scalbert. Mount a hose real on the wall, save a lot of space.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:53 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

If you don't mind them coming on in the middle of the night you can leave them on but I prefer to "unload" mine when not in use.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:17 AM
Pro

Mine has been on constantly for 25 years. Just make sure your system does not have any leaks. And you'll need several impacts / wrenches.

3/8 air ratchet is handy, 1/2 impact for big work, 3/8 butterfly impact for small work, die grinder for making sparks, paint gun, nozzles for cleaning carbs, sand blaster, DA sander.

My IR compressor is a big ole V twin model, 2 stage. It is the oil type but is cast iron and is probably 50 years old, but still works flawlessly. That is the advantage of the industrial duty style compressors. The oil free's aren't designed for as heavy of use, but will work fine for the home owner.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:51 PM
Team Owner

I keep my compressor plugged in and pressurized, but I keep the power switch off so it doesn’t come on unexpectedly and scare the CRAP out of me. .
When I use it, I flip the switch on, when I’m done, I turn it off.

I have a ball valve just before the line up to the hose reel so I can turn the air off there and bleed the line..

Here’s my setup……

Old 01-14-2004, 09:59 PM
Team Owner

Here’s my patented “HOSE-WATER-BLOWER-OUTER-THINGER” device.

I screw it onto the end of my 100FT garden hose reel when I’m done washing the car in the winter.
Then I use the compressor to BLAST all the water out so it doesn’t freeze in there.

Old 01-14-2004, 11:40 PM
Bleed Honda Blue

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ask any professional mechanic which brand of air tools are the best or which brand of air tools they own. I would bet 8 out of 10 would say Ingersoll rand. I think Snap on air tools are the worst.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:04 AM
Sweet as Gold

Re: Question for those with air tools

Hey Guys,

Well Santa brought me a 6hp 33gal Craftsman air compressor for xmas. Now I need to get me some air tools. I was thinking about getting a cheapo combo set but I'm never happy with anything cheap. I'd actually like to get an Ingersol Rand Titanium impact. (1000lb ft weighs less than 4lbs). They're about $200 though and I can get a decent impact and ratchet for less than $100. Hate to not get the badass one though. I've never owned an impact and I was wondering if any of them can be turned down so you can spin bolts on without overtorqueing them? I use my cordless drill for this and really like it. Can the air pressure just be turned down for tightening? What air tools are good to have?

I'm seriously considering this kit: Mechanic's Air Tool Kit

This one seems too cheap:
Starter Air Tooll Kit

Here is the bad boy:Titanium Impact

I'm leaning towards getting the Titanium impact and picking up a ratchet later. Anyone know what would be a comperable ratchet to this impact? What do you guys think? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
OK...don't buy thr IR w/ 1000ft lbs...cause it's not. Our tool guy at work let us borrow one for a week..the friggin thing did no better than my Snap-on rated at 650 or anyone elses guns rated between 500-650. It looks nice and sounds mean while using but just get the regular IR gun rated at 500 or 550. If your gonna buy craftsman...get the professional series w/ the black handle...thats my second impact gun. I don't have any intrest in MAC tools what-so-ever because every one I have ever bought is a piece of shit and/or brakes. Snap-on is the best by far...period!!! As far as Matco...great stuff. Half the price of snap=on but almost as good a tool...just not as comfortable as Snap-ons. However some of their tools can be made a little cheaply...but if your not using the thing everyday then u prolly won't even notice it. Now on to S+K...excellent sockets/impact sockets. Pretty decent wrenches and pliers but have never tried or seen their air-tools. Ohh..about the Snap-on impact gun...heavy bro...like 2x as heavy as the IR or Craftsman Professional...but u can get used to it. DON'T EVER BUY HUSKY AIR TOOLS!!!!!!!!. And there's one more company that I am familiar w/...they are CP...I forgot what the "C" stands for but the "P" stands for pnuematic. They are pretty decent stuff as well. If your looking to save money get the professional series craftsman. If you want a little more...get the IR. If still want more go w/ the Matco and if u want the best...Snap-On!!!I hope all this info helps...pm me w/ any tool questions if needed. Ohh...all impact guns can be turned down so u don't over-tighten certain things...never mess w/ the air pressure. Don't buy a stupid started set of air-tools. Piece it out and do it somewhat right...remember...tools can last the rest of your life. Don't get stuck in a shitty situation cause u bought cheesy tools. Like I said pm me w/ any other tool questions.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:07 AM
Sweet as Gold

Originally posted by sgmotoring
Ask any professional mechanic which brand of air tools are the best or which brand of air tools they own. I would bet 8 out of 10 would say Ingersoll rand. I think Snap on air tools are the worst.
And I think u don't know what the hell ur talking about. Never have I seen a problem w/ any snap-on air tool. I have seen numerous times where the shaft falls apart on IR guns. I'm not saying that IR's are shitty...but Snap-on id far better quality. And as far as profession techs...my dealer has 12 techs. 9 of us have the snap-on, 2 w/ the IR, and one craftsman.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:14 AM
-S namyaC-

IR is good stuff, they make kick ass compressors but Snap-On owns the tools.

Craftsman is pretty good too, but they are't Snap-On. I use them b/c it's more convienent for me to just jet down to Sears for something. If I used them day in/day out - I might have a diff opinon.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:13 AM
Bleed Honda Blue

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Re: Question for those with air tools

. If your gonna buy craftsman...get the professional series w/ the black handle...thats my second impact gun.

Just wondering, isn't that craftsman professional series with black handle and chrome front made by Ingersoll Rand?
Old 01-15-2004, 07:46 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Originally posted by Shawn S
Here’s my patented “HOSE-WATER-BLOWER-OUTER-THINGER” device.

I screw it onto the end of my 100FT garden hose reel when I’m done washing the car in the winter.
Then I use the compressor to BLAST all the water out so it doesn’t freeze in there.

:phatyo:
And that about says it all!
Old 01-15-2004, 08:01 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

Originally posted by Shawn S
I keep my compressor plugged in and pressurized, but I keep the power switch off so it doesn’t come on unexpectedly and scare the CRAP out of me. .
When I use it, I flip the switch on, when I’m done, I turn it off.

I have a ball valve just before the line up to the hose reel so I can turn the air off t
Where did you get the reel? I'm trying to find a good deal on one. How about the extra fittings a pieces to connect it to the compressor? Thanks.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:07 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Originally posted by Bluto
Where did you get the reel? I'm trying to find a good deal on one. How about the extra fittings a pieces to connect it to the compressor? Thanks.
Costco!
Old 01-15-2004, 01:14 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by Bluto
I bought the hose reel at Harbor Freight.
The ball valve & other fittings I got at Home Depot.

Not including the 50FT HOSE, which I already had, I think it was only about 40 dollars or so for everything.
It works great too.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:43 PM
Sweet as Gold

Re: Re: Re: Question for those with air tools

Originally posted by sgmotoring
. If your gonna buy craftsman...get the professional series w/ the black handle...thats my second impact gun.

Just wondering, isn't that craftsman professional series with black handle and chrome front made by Ingersoll Rand?
Yep...it's my second impact gun. Excellent for home jobs
Old 01-15-2004, 05:57 PM
Got BOOST????

I just bought both 1/2 and 3/8 titainum ones. I like them alot. Snapon are great tools, but way over priced for a homeowner. You don't need that type of quality for not using them every day. I also bought a angle grinder with a 3m roloc disc. Works good for removing old gaskets and ruffen up your rotors. A air blower is a must too also. I like to use a cutoff wheel, but i use my 120v grinder w/ a cut off disc instead so i have a constant spin.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:07 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Re: Re: Question for those with air tools

Originally posted by Ant7701
OK...don't buy thr IR w/ 1000ft lbs...cause it's not. Our tool guy at work let us borrow one for a week..the friggin thing did no better than my Snap-on rated at 650 or anyone elses guns rated between 500-650. It looks nice and sounds mean while using but just get the regular IR gun rated at 500 or 550.
Too late I already got one. I figured the "1000 ft lbs of nut busting torque" deal was a bit of hype but I liked the fact that it weighs under 4 lbs. I found one for $188. I'm sure it will have more than enough balls to change wheels and loosen the odd bolt here and there.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:29 PM
Sweet as Gold

Ohh...you'll be more than happy w/ the gun...it's excellent. I was just trying to stop you from buying it solely because it was 1000ft lbs. There's alot of hype about this gun but until u do some real world shop testing you won't see what I mean. But like i said it's a great gun and you'll have no problems doin work at ur house.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:34 AM
Got BOOST????

I doubt you'll ever need 1000ft lbs. I think the bolt will snap before it gets to that level.