Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2002, 04:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Quality problems bedevil Jaguar's X-Type; two drivetrain issues cited

To remind everyone of Acura quality:

---------------

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=00719529

L.J. Blake, a 51-year-old illustrator from Sausalito, Calif., was driving his new Jaguar X-Type sedan in cold weather in the Sierra Nevada mountains when "a very loud, screaming sound" came from the car's rear. It sounded like someone striking a tuning fork.

"This happened in the low gears as I upshifted through each one. It slowly stopped occurring as the car warmed up," Blake said. Blake says the sound has occurred repeatedly and has persisted even though his dealer replaced the car's prop-shaft. What's more, Blake is not alone.

Jaguar Cars Ltd. is at risk of alienating its newest group of owners, many of whom complain their new X-Type sedans have an array of irritating quality snafus. While none of the problems directly affect safety or operation, they are of sufficient annoyance that some first-time Jaguar buyers say they're ready to bolt the franchise.

"I am very frustrated at Jaguar's lack of interest in solving this problem," said Mike Price, a 58-year old retiree from New Orleans.

"There has been no follow-up by either Jaguar or my dealer on this matter," he said.

The issue could have a harmful effect on the automaker, which is trying to grow from a small-time player to one that sells 200,000 units annually, with the X-Type accounting for half of those sales. Reaching that goal requires not only winning new buyers but retaining them. Being the highest-volume nameplate, the X-Type is Jaguar's broadest-brush effort to reach the consumer buying a luxury label for the first time.

"I can't think of a carmaker that doesn't have an occasional glitch in their new models," said Charlie Moss, an independent industry analyst in London. "A drivetrain noise isn't the same as people being stranded or killed, but what they do about it is still very important.

"Jaguar can be the greatest friend these consumers ever had, and the people will love them for being really super about how well they are treated. The alternative is for people to be sick of the product and say, 'Next time, I'll buy an Audi.' "

Jaguar spokesman Colin Cook said the automaker became aware of the problem in January. He said a fix was engineered within eight weeks. "We've obviously taken steps to rectify the problem with customers as well as in the production process," Cook said. "We put a process change in manufacturing, and that has cured the problem."

There are two separate drivetrain problems. During deceleration from about 70 mph, a high-pitched whine will come from the all-wheel-drive differential unit. That problem is so widespread that Jaguar has issued a technical service bulletin to its U.S. dealers.

The fix: adding mass to the differential-mounting bracket.

But the cold weather noise is another matter. It occurs anywhere from 20 mph to 70 mph. For some owners it goes away quickly; others have the tuning-fork sound ringing for minutes at a time.

This problem has been the most bothersome to owners because Jaguar Cars has not officially acknowledged it exists.

Some owners say they have had several prop-shafts replaced under warranty - one American owner says he is on his sixth.

Steven Miller, a 41-year-old attorney from Long Beach, N.Y., suffers from both drivetrain problems. While he says he loves his X-Type, Miller is frustrated by his dealer's inability to repair the problems, despite three visits to the service bay. "I made a tape recording of the noise," Miller said. "The attempted fix was to put some sort of additive into the all-wheel-drive system. This quieted the noise for several days, then it came back."

According to Jaguar service technicians, there are two explanations for the noise. One is that the rubber bushing in the prop-shaft hardens in cold weather and squeaks when it rubs against moving parts. The other is that the center bearing in the prop-shaft is slightly off-center, and the cold temperature keeps the grease from heating adequately to insulate the metal-on-metal contact.

Said Cook: "We certainly do extensive cold weather testing, but obviously this wasn't picked up. It's something that comes to light when you build thousands of cars, rather than hundreds. It affects a very small minority of the cars under certain conditions."

Jon Kennedy, a 41-year-old registered nurse in Charlotte, N.C., says he has had his prop-shaft replaced twice, with two different part numbers listed on his repair orders.

But the prop-shaft is only one of several problems Kennedy cites, including a rocking driver seat, weeping windshield washer nozzles, vibration from the tires above 45 mph, and an apparent knocking from the CV joints when turning.

"It seems to me that Jaguar doesn't know how to handle my problems, and it's taken them a long time to get this under control," Kennedy said. "I'm trying to give the dealer every reasonable chance to deal with this, but the general manager knows this is their last chance."

The X-Type driveshaft and half-shafts are supplied by GKN Hardy Spicer in Birmingham, England. GKN declined to comment for this article. Within a couple of years of purchasing Jaguar, Ford Motor Co. claimed it had banished quality glitches to the past. Jaguar's quality scores in the J.D. Power indices soared from below average to the top tier. Many of the X-Type customers are buying their first luxury car and are bristling that a luxury carmaker can't solve the problem on its first attempt.

None of the customers interviewed for this article said they had been contacted by a Jaguar representative.

Said Moss: "If you insult one customer, you lose 25 of his friends down at the country club. And Jaguar is still considered a risky purchase."
Old 05-29-2002, 05:09 PM
Stealthy A-CL Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
I still like Edmunds' road test of the X-Type the best...

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadt...3/article.html

The exhaust fell apart during testing.
Old 05-29-2002, 05:15 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by IntegraVT
I still like Edmunds' road test of the X-Type the best...

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadt...3/article.html

The exhaust fell apart during testing.
Damn it, you beat me to it!

Yeah... I remember when I read that article. I was looking forward to the review and I almost fell out of my chair when I read that part. I still can't believe something like that happened.
Old 05-29-2002, 05:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jaguar is owned by Ford

'nuff said....
Old 05-29-2002, 05:51 PM
__

Originally posted by cusdaddy
Jaguar is owned by Ford

'nuff said....
Their reliablity has actually improved since the purchase. Old Jags were pretty bad. I can't speak for this entry level car though.
Old 05-29-2002, 05:56 PM
Racer

Jag quality & reliability sucks big time, but since Ford took over, it sucked just a tad bit less.. which doesn't mean much ...
Old 05-29-2002, 07:24 PM

Well if u go to roadfly.com or whatever it is called, it looks like most people are having problems, many have bolted on Jag. and it seems most that are overlooking problems are stuck in the marque name "Jaguar".
Old 05-29-2002, 08:48 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
JD Powers had Jaguar in the top four of fewest repairs in 2001. *However*, I've talked to several people who tell me that those cars (the X in particular, not sure about the S) are in the shop repeatedly.

In fact, both the Acura and Infiniti dealer made sad comments about the Jaguar's problems when I was shopping (all three dealers are owned by the same people-; this wasn't a case of one dealer bad-mouthing another--they had nice things to say about Volvo and BWM also owned by the same people. In the case of the Infiniti, it's next to the Jaguar dealer and just the site of the X as we walked to the G35 for a test drive prompted the salesman to mutter something about what a nice looking car, too bad they're having so many problems and the same cars returning to the shop time after time).

:P
Old 05-29-2002, 08:53 PM
Old timer

It's a FORD what do you expect (sorry Pull-T).
Old 05-29-2002, 11:58 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jaguar is owned by Ford

'nuff said....
YES! I owned a '99 SVT Contour which was basicly a reskinned Ford Mondeo. (the Mercury Mystique & Cougar share the same platform too)

Now Ford has built the X type on the Mondeo platform & added AWD to try & tame the FWD issues.

After owning the Contour I wouldn't touch an X type with a 10ft pole. The car had a great motor(fast!) & handled well but the transmission was weak & the fit/finish/reliability sucked!
I pity the fools that pay $35-40k for an X type!!

The motor crapped out at 27.5k.

I was glad to get rid of it. My 1st & probably last American car.
Old 05-30-2002, 12:37 AM
The Quite One

Ford sucks!!! I owned a coutour too! Ford replaced my transmission 3 times, the water pump 6 times, and many other little things in the car. The last time I went to a Ford dealership to have work done on my car some of their work stole my car stereo system. About $3000,00 worth of equipment. I will never buy another Ford!!!
Old 05-30-2002, 03:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
Jaguar is owned