No more speeding?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2001 | 03:04 PM
Learn to swim.

No more speeding?

There was a story on the news today in Austin of a new method the city is trying to use to crack down on speeders. Two sensors spaced a given distance apart to determine how fast a vehicle is moving depending upon how quickly they trip one to the next are being installed and cameras angling downward or from the side to take pictures of the plates. I'm not real sure what types of sensors these are but I ahve seen a few suspicious looking strips laying across a few of the lanes on MoPac.
No laser, no radar--no jamming. Now what?
Old 06-02-2001 | 03:40 PM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by aeon:
There was a story on the news today in Austin of a new method the city is trying to use to crack down on speeders. Two sensors spaced a given distance apart to determine how fast a vehicle is moving depending upon how quickly they trip one to the next are being installed and cameras angling downward or from the side to take pictures of the plates. I'm not real sure what types of sensors these are but I ahve seen a few suspicious looking strips laying across a few of the lanes on MoPac.
No laser, no radar--no jamming. Now what?
</font>
Again, this is an old method with a new twist: cameras. The cameras make me think it is unmanned and perhaps semi-permanent. The best way to defeat this is to just be aware of where these are being placed and simply slow down or avoid them. If you do get a ticket, you need to challenge it because it sounds like it can be defeated in court.

If these are permanent, LEO will quickly determine that this doesn't work well as soon as people hear about where they are located. I don't think you have to worry too much about dozens of them being placed all over the city.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *
Old 06-02-2001 | 04:11 PM
Banned

Well how are they gonna know which car passes when. If you have 1000 cars going down the road and cross point a over an hour span and then cross point b later on how do u know which car was speeding and when it started. I know in NY on the thruway when u get a ticket at the toll booth, not a speeding ticket but the one with how much it costs to get off at exits it punches your time in. And if you get off the next exit they run it through they punch that time in, then subtract the two fine the total time and divide by the distance and find your average MPH. I know of a couple people who have gotten tickets in the mail from this. Ive also lost my EZpass for going 18mph through the toll booth, so be careful speeding is becoming more difficult then ever. I told you guys technology with cars sucks. Haha

------------------
- 2001 Cl-S Silver/Ebony
- Comptech Headers
- Comptech Exhaust
- Comptech Air Filter
- Comptech Sway Bars
- Comptech Springs
- Koni Shocks
- Alpine IVA-C800
- Alpine NVE-N852A
- MB Quart Highs
- 2 JL 10"
- MV DVD Player
- 20% Llumar Charcoal Tint
- PIAA 19224 Road Lamps
- Solaris 9005 High Beams
Old 06-02-2001 | 04:27 PM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jrod178:
Well how are they gonna know which car passes when. If you have 1000 cars going down the road and cross point a over an hour span and then cross point b later on how do u know which car was speeding and when it started. I know in NY on the thruway when u get a ticket at the toll booth, not a speeding ticket but the one with how much it costs to get off at exits it punches your time in. And if you get off the next exit they run it through they punch that time in, then subtract the two fine the total time and divide by the distance and find your average MPH. I know of a couple people who have gotten tickets in the mail from this. Ive also lost my EZpass for going 18mph through the toll booth, so be careful speeding is becoming more difficult then ever. I told you guys technology with cars sucks. Haha
</font>
For a very, very short period of time, only one car can occupy the space between point a and point b. That car is the car that's speeding in the photo. Short times, short distances.

------------------
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *
Old 06-02-2001 | 05:28 PM
The Creator

i dont see how that would work automatically...

how can it know when the car that hit point A reached point B? Its not possible.

Around here there is photo radar EVERYHERE but i dunno about that point a point b stuff.

As for that thing about the tolls on the thruway... Ive heard of people getting tickets like that too... but Ive yet to receive one. Im not sure you could get a ticket like that when your using na EZPass since EZPass is not the property of the state. Its a private company.
But who knows.

Something else that may or may not be new... it is construction season right now and I've noticed that some of the electronic signs that inform you of lane changes and other shit within a construction zone are equipped with radar.

Im sure this is the same portable photo radar that the local police move around on side roads... I know countless people who have been nabbed like that.

I am all for inner city police issuing speeding tickets on side roads where kids/pets etc can run across the street.

I just dont understand why we have to enforce such shitty speed limits on open highways. Its all for making money.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow FogsValentine 1Xephyr CAI

"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity." -Albert Einstein
Old 06-02-2001 | 05:39 PM
Banned

No EZPass took away my account for a little while, sorry if I made that unclear.

------------------
- 2001 Cl-S Silver/Ebony
- Comptech Headers
- Comptech Exhaust
- Comptech Air Filter
- Comptech Sway Bars
- Comptech Springs
- Koni Shocks
- Alpine IVA-C800
- Alpine NVE-N852A
- MB Quart Highs
- 2 JL 10"
- MV DVD Player
- 20% Llumar Charcoal Tint
- PIAA 19224 Road Lamps
- Solaris 9005 High Beams
Old 06-02-2001 | 06:50 PM
Pro

if it is on a two road or wider lane road it will pointless you could have a car in each lane and never really be sure who tripped it. Those weird stips are around here two they very from place to place the ones with one tube are simply how any cars pass on that road can't get your speed from that data without knowing your wheelbase two tubes can getspeed knowing how far apart the tubes are they can determine how quickly one set of tire trip these (I'm always suspicious of the two strippers but they could probibly easily be defeated in court if they were ever used that way because too many cars go over em and probily move them a little bit each time.)

------------------
2001 Acura CL Type S "Claire" non-navi No spoiler. Bone stock, for now.
~Member of the Scratched Rim Club.~ Two Times Over
Old 06-02-2001 | 07:01 PM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by soopa:
i dont see how that would work automatically...

how can it know when the car that hit point A reached point B? Its not possible.

Around here there is photo radar EVERYHERE but i dunno about that point a point b stuff.

As for that thing about the tolls on the thruway... Ive heard of people getting tickets like that too... but Ive yet to receive one. Im not sure you could get a ticket like that when your using na EZPass since EZPass is not the property of the state. Its a private company.
But who knows.

Something else that may or may not be new... it is construction season right now and I've noticed that some of the electronic signs that inform you of lane changes and other shit within a construction zone are equipped with radar.

Im sure this is the same portable photo radar that the local police move around on side roads... I know countless people who have been nabbed like that.

I am all for inner city police issuing speeding tickets on side roads where kids/pets etc can run across the street.

I just dont understand why we have to enforce such shitty speed limits on open highways. Its all for making money.
</font>
ENRADD: http://www.pabulletin.com/secure/dat...6-32/1297.html

------------------
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *
Old 06-02-2001 | 07:19 PM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [DWI]:
if it is on a two road or wider lane road it will pointless you could have a car in each lane and never really be sure who tripped it. Those weird stips are around here two they very from place to place the ones with one tube are simply how any cars pass on that road can't get your speed from that data without knowing your wheelbase two tubes can getspeed knowing how far apart the tubes are they can determine how quickly one set of tire trip these (I'm always suspicious of the two strippers but they could probibly easily be defeated in court if they were ever used that way because too many cars go over em and probily move them a little bit each time.)
</font>
I've seen these things in action, after I got ticketed I got out of my car, asked the police to show me how it works (still got the ticket). So here's the answers to your questions as best as I can remember them:

St. Louis Park, Minnesota; circa 1988

1.The lines are bolted down on the road in place so they do not move when you run over them.
2.The lines do stretch across two or more lanes of traffic.
3.If more than one car hits the lines at one time, the readings are canceled out (i.e. no reading on the speed reading machine).
4.The operators can visually tell when you run over the lines, it makes an audible noise on the machine near the operator.

What are the odds of two cars running over the lines at the same time? No very great. You have to know how the speed is acutally being read: Your front tires or your back tires only is what triggers the speed reading. So if you are the only car on the road, that's like two speed readings. Let say the two lines are 10 inches apart. When your front tires run over the line #1, then line #2, you get a speed reading say 40mph. Then when your back tires run over line #1 and then line #2, you get a speed reading say 41mph. Your front tires go "clunk clunk", there's a brief pause, then your back tires go "clunk clunk". 40---41. Throw in another car speeding in the left lane right next to you in the right lane. "Clunk clunk" then another "clunk clunk", a brief pause, "clunk clunk" and "clunk clunk" quickly. Machine reads 40----59-----41-----59. Who's going 59? The cops know....

If in fact you hit it just right with two cars, no speed reading (the machine is smart enought to throw out those readings). This is a computer and this is not rocket science and it happened in the 80s. I still remember because I remember standing there for nearly 30 minutes watching all those poor cars get nailed and even I could "visually" see that they were speeding; the machine just verified what I saw.

There were two separate sets of two lines each (four lines); don't know why, but officer said it increased accuracy. These lines were nailed down in the road with "U" clamps right in the pavement with metal caps on the end, from the breakdown lane curb right out to the center double-yellow line. No car or truck can move them by running over them.

I suspect these are being used now in conjunction with cameras. This is the 21st century and I'm sure it's very easy to do today. About the validity in court stuff, I'm not sure. Hope this helps explain.

------------------
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *
Old 06-02-2001 | 08:45 PM
The Creator

Well. Soon enough our cars will probably issue us speeding tickets. lol