Need info: Tansmission fitments

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 09:24 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need info: Tansmission fitments

The transmission in my 01 CL-S is on its last leg and I would rather not replace it with the same junk that came with it. I found an auto trans from a 07 TL from the j32a3 motor and I would like to know if it would bolt up or have any other fitment issues that anyone might know of. Thank you in advance.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 557 Likes on 447 Posts
Nooooo. I would get one from an 06 Accord/Odyssey. They changed design in mid 07, so it's a gamble with 07 trannies.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts
07 probably won't fit. I got a transmission from an 06 Oddy sitting in my garage and it almost looks identical to the 2G Cl/TL transmission. At least the case does.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:50 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanx guys. 06 ody transmission it will be! Think it would be worth it to rebuild the old one and sell it?
Old 09-08-2012, 11:50 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 557 Likes on 447 Posts
Originally Posted by Aeo12CL-S
Thanx guys. 06 ody transmission it will be! Think it would be worth it to rebuild the old one and sell it?
No way it would be worth the time and effort.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:37 PM
J-series addict

Received 615 Likes on 465 Posts
Since it on the board, what's the biggest difference internally between the 2004-2006 transmissions that mount up to the J32A2? Out of the TL, Odyssey, and Accord, which one has the highest potential for power handling capabilities? Can the 04-06 TL auto be installed as a "plug and play" or not? I've heard there are a few sensors that must be exchanged but other than that? I'm questioning the integrity of the 5-AT from an 03 TL-S I had rebuilt (that had NO previous issues before removed) will actually handle 600-700hp nitrous hits. Just need to know the best choice.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:50 PM
Chapter Leader (Southeast Region)

Received 451 Likes on 394 Posts
Originally Posted by yungone501
Since it on the board, what's the biggest difference internally between the 2004-2006 transmissions that mount up to the J32A2? Out of the TL, Odyssey, and Accord, which one has the highest potential for power handling capabilities? Can the 04-06 TL auto be installed as a "plug and play" or not? I've heard there are a few sensors that must be exchanged but other than that? I'm questioning the integrity of the 5-AT from an 03 TL-S I had rebuilt (that had NO previous issues before removed) will actually handle 600-700hp nitrous hits. Just need to know the best choice.
The biggest thing is not to do high rpm down shifts putting added heat and stress on the tranny. Like you previously mentioned in other threads, keeping fluid changed and not spraying nitrous between shifts. The biggest question is do you have the newer design blue bolt tranny(mine was and still failed in less than 100k miles), if not then I would consider one of the newer transmission after 05 (new case design for supposedly better flow for fluid.)

Trending Topics

Old 09-10-2012, 12:48 AM
J-series addict

So 05-06 would be optimal for strength and reliability then?

I've read somewhere that the issue on these autos is due to an inadequate amount of fluid to critical area/component and that's why adding an external cooler does nothing to prevent transmission failure from occurring. I must say (knock on wood) that I've had very good luck in running Amsoil synthetic ATF while pumping out 500-550hp on this 5-AT tranny. It's taken a pretty severe beating indeed. The car itself has currently around 136,xxx miles and the original transmission was replaced a little after 50k miles by the dealer as mentioned by a parts associate at my local Acura dealer who ran my VIN to check on recalls for me. I bought the car with 103k miles. That means the transmission itself has some 80k+ miles on it...20k miles of which were all during heavy nitrous use. Correct me if I'm wrong here but it seems to me that the whole issue with our transmissions can be either corrected or delayed (hard to tell) by simply running a higher quality fluid (I've ran ONLY oem Acura DW1 and Amsoil) and by changing the fluid very frequently. I personally drain and fill the ATF usually within 1000-1500miles. The only reason I've refused to put an aftermarket cooler on is because I'm afraid that the added length in line (maybe 6-8ft) and the cooler itself (restrictive design) would surely decrease fluid pressure not to mention add to the starvation issue within the transmission itself. I am merely guessing and making assumptions here but like they say: if it ain't broke...
Old 09-10-2012, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by yungone501
So 05-06 would be optimal for strength and reliability then?

I've read somewhere that the issue on these autos is due to an inadequate amount of fluid to critical area/component and that's why adding an external cooler does nothing to prevent transmission failure from occurring. I must say (knock on wood) that I've had very good luck in running Amsoil synthetic ATF while pumping out 500-550hp on this 5-AT tranny. It's taken a pretty severe beating indeed. The car itself has currently around 136,xxx miles and the original transmission was replaced a little after 50k miles by the dealer as mentioned by a parts associate at my local Acura dealer who ran my VIN to check on recalls for me. I bought the car with 103k miles. That means the transmission itself has some 80k+ miles on it...20k miles of which were all during heavy nitrous use. Correct me if I'm wrong here but it seems to me that the whole issue with our transmissions can be either corrected or delayed (hard to tell) by simply running a higher quality fluid (I've ran ONLY oem Acura DW1 and Amsoil) and by changing the fluid very frequently. I personally drain and fill the ATF usually within 1000-1500miles. The only reason I've refused to put an aftermarket cooler on is because I'm afraid that the added length in line (maybe 6-8ft) and the cooler itself (restrictive design) would surely decrease fluid pressure not to mention add to the starvation issue within the transmission itself. I am merely guessing and making assumptions here but like they say: if it ain't broke...
Theoretically it should be better designed and allow the fluid to flow better. However my first tranny started to shift funny and slip on an occasion, finally the dealer replaced it at 99,962 miles for free. I was happily because that is the time I got the car 6 years ago. My new one ( post 05, supposedly built better) started getting a torque converter code at 140,000 miles outside the warranty period and would only do it once every six months to a year. At 160,000 miles it stated coming on every 6 months or less. At 180,000 miles it slip once slightly and I immediately changed the fluid next day. In between 180,000 and 190,000 I started getting torque converter coder more freguently and slipping every once in awhile. At 190,000 miles I kept getting the torque converter code everytime I drove the car, so I started driving in d4 and was able to make it to almost 194,000 miles before it started slipping so bad I decided to park the car until I got it fixed. So I really have no idea if it will last any longer or take anymore abuse than the original design. I'm going to try the 07 Honda v6 tranny because it is newer, less miles, and no sport shift so the chances of high rpm downshifts is less likely. If this one shows any signs of problems it's going up to nva-av6 to have a six speed swapped in. However I would get one past 06 to make sure it is a new design since they switched it mid 05.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:03 AM
J-series addict

Holy cow man, talk about having some car troubles. I myself have seriously contemplated the 6-spd swap as well. The biggest reason being because I can do all the work myself here in the shop and take my time with it so that it's done correctly. I'm not to savvy with all the swap parts available but I do know that there are harnesses available that allow us to run the automatic powertrain wiring with the 6-spd so I'm confident I could find out how to do that without having to spend the money on the harness. My biggest obstacle here would be the conversion from the inside of the car...I have very little fabrication skills/experience when it comes to this but doesn't look all that challenging from what I've seen. I know I will more than likely end up using the AEM standalone for the 3.5 build anyways due to the cams and ignition modifications required to run high levels of nitrous so I might just do it all when the motor gets replaced. I have others I'm sure would be willing to assist in the areas I can't do...or just choose not to do.

Might as well save ourselves the trouble with these auto's and just do the swap. Haha.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:41 AM

^ other than the tranny, it's been a great car and this is the first one I'm going to have to replace. I was about to drive it up to va for the 6 speed swap until it got to the point where I can't drive it. I don't really have the time, knowledge, or tools to do it myself. I use the car everyday so I can't leave it sitting for months trying to do it because it is my only car. When this one starts to give me any signs of trouble I'm going to drive it up there to have it done since none of the shops around me want anything to do with swapping parts. By the way te guy that makes those harnesses has been MIA and nobody lately has been able to get one on this board.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
WOW!!! Nice Post!Kind Regards.