Navi Decoders

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2001 | 09:12 AM
Pro

Navi Decoders

Are there any that you do not need another DVD palyer? My brother said he thinks he saw it on the TL board. Help please!
Old 11-27-2001 | 09:19 AM
Senior Moderator

I'm almost 100% positive that you need another DVD player b/c the Navi will not read movie DVDs. The decoder simply allows you to view movies on the Navi screen, but you still need a player. If you're worried about $$$, buy a PS2. It's $300, and plays both games and DVDs......
Old 11-27-2001 | 09:23 AM
Pro

I agree with you. I thought that you needed another, but my brother said he saw that you did not. Anyone else?

Thanks
Old 11-27-2001 | 10:09 AM
Burning Brakes

You must use another player to play movies. Definitely.

The DVD rom doesn't not have the ability to de-encrypt the DVD movies.
Old 11-27-2001 | 07:34 PM
Race Director

Seems like there are possibly two different questions and answers here but having installed this thing personally myself (and enjoying playing movies and music videos EVERYDAY), here's what I can offer:

You have to have something that can play CDs, DVDs, VCDs, whatever. A portable DVD player, PS2, something that will mostly likely have a video out and audios out (RCA) plugs.

So what do you think you have to do with those plugs/wires coming out of the player that carries the audio and the video?

There are no [video] jacks on the Navi anyplace. There is no Video In on the Navi. The only thing on the Navi that can capture and incoming video signal is a Red, a Blue, and a Green wire(s).

Your DVD players doesn't have a Red Out, a Green Out, or a Blue Out. It is not separate but ONE Video Out wire. If you look closely at that wire, it doesn't have separate wires bundled together representating Red, Blue, and Green. There is in fact Red, Blue, and Green video signal all contained in one [solid] wire, inseparable. However,

A "video decoder" has one video input which will accept a standard video input from most DVD players. On the other side of the decoder device is three separate wires transmitting the video signal Out, you guessed it, containing the Red, Blue, and Green signal.

If you connect only the Red wire output from the decoder to the Red wire input on the Navi and play your DVD player (movie), your Navi will show the movie in all red. The sky will be red, the ground will be red, the bus will be red, and the buildings will be red. Add a blue wire connection and you will get a blue sky. Add green and you will have a brilliant coloured scene with a blue sky, a brown ground, a green bus, and a red/black/yellow/orange/white building.

Oversimplified but trying to point out that you MUST have some sort of R-G-B converter somewhere, perhaps there are other devices that have this "built-in".
Old 11-27-2001 | 10:56 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

here is the link to the easy instructions

http://www.angelfire.com/super/types...onversion.html

(angelfire is having server problems right now, so give them time to fix their stuff)
Old 11-28-2001 | 06:44 AM
Pro

Thanks to all for there response. I was familiar with the instructions. Just not sure about the seperate player.

Thanks
Old 11-28-2001 | 08:01 AM
Intermediate

There is one good option that I recently found out about for playing DVDs..
It is a Blaupunkt (Panasonic has one also) DVD player which plays all DVD, CD, CD-R blah blah plus it can play MP3 music which I think is a great advantage if you like listening to music non stop for 5-10 hrs..!
If you are interested just search it on the internet, crutchfield has the panasonic and you can search the other either on crutchfield or on the internet..
NS
Old 11-28-2001 | 09:48 AM
Former Sponsor

yeah, I was seriously considering the dvd conversion, but after previous experiences with electrical problems in my other car, decided not to cut any wires for fear of failure of my nav, which comes in handy in emergencies, and loss of waranty coverage on electrical. there must be an alterintive to installing a rgb converter, even if it calls for plugging it in everytime you want to use it...
somebody has to have a solution to this, hopefully in NY.
Old 11-28-2001 | 10:47 AM
Resident DJ

rondog

I wouldn't sweat it. This is relatively simple stuff. The work just has to be done by someone who knows what they're doing. I would say that this is even less complex than a stereo install, cause you're not running speaker wires around the car, etc.

I have a question for everyone else though. Is the RGB converter used simply because most portable DVD players don't have a "Component" output. My DVD players at home have a "component" output that is three wires (RGB?) that plug directly into the back of my TV which has a component video input. Apparently it helps get a better signal if the three color channels are transmitted separately. Anyway, not that I would, but if I were to use one of my home DVD players with the component video output, would I still need to purchase the decoder?

Also, where do you plug in the Audio output of the DVD player? Does this have any impact on the NAV voiceover effect where it automatically mutes the front speakers a little bit? How do you switch between viewing the NAVI system and the DVD player? Can it be done via remote control or a switch up in the cabin, or do you have to unplug/plug wires every time?

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2001 | 01:28 PM
Pro

I think you need the decoder because the Navi system has no place for a RCA plug input. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Old 11-28-2001 | 04:19 PM
Pro

They say that the reason we need another DVD player is because the one we have can not read anything but the Navi disk. Is it possibly to just replace it with one rather than have two. Is there one that will work on the navi disk and DVD's. That way you could just mount it in the same place with little to no cutting of wires. Just a thought!!!
Old 11-28-2001 | 06:40 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

the link to the instructions i made has ALL the info you need AT THE TOP! just click on the link and read it to get what you are looking for
Old 11-28-2001 | 06:44 PM
Resident DJ

Very cool TypeSDragoon!!

Thanks a lot!
Old 11-28-2001 | 07:33 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by rondog
yeah, I was seriously considering the dvd conversion, but after previous experiences with electrical problems in my other car, decided not to cut any wires for fear of failure of my nav, which comes in handy in emergencies, and loss of waranty coverage on electrical. there must be an alterintive to installing a rgb converter, even if it calls for plugging it in everytime you want to use it...
somebody has to have a solution to this, hopefully in NY.
I wouldn't sweat the install. Actually it's very easy, more than you might think. If you can hookup a radar detector or a simple stereo, you can do this piece. The risk of a Navi failure is very, very little. I say this because if you cut the wrong wires, the Navi harness can be replaced. There is no change to the Navi unit(s) themselves.
Old 11-28-2001 | 07:36 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by juice
Is it possibly to just replace it with one rather than have two. Is there one that will work on the navi disk and DVD's. That way you could just mount it in the same place with little to no cutting of wires. Just a thought!!!
No, there is no such device in existance.