My ride, my story, any and all help appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:07 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My ride, my story, any and all help appreciated.

I have been lurking on this site for some time, but just made my first post a few minutes ago and this is my second official post. I visited this site every now and then, but I was really busy with school and work and never got to look at threads in depth or participate that much in the forum. Things have calmed down for me now, so I thought that I would take the time and introduce myself and my ride to the forum.

I drive a '01 CL-S.

I have have had the car for awhile now, but just recently have had the time and money to spare to properly take of it and modify it. The only mods I have done so far are throw some 18x7.5 Enkei's on it

The car has numerous dents and dings and various other cosmetic issues from being driven in a college town for 4 years. It was rarely if ever garaged, rarely washed or waxed, was always parked in the sun, and so and so forth and all of that has taken its toll on the car.

I grew up in Atlanta, but went to school @ UGA in Athens, and the CL has made that trip numerous times. In fact, there are chips of paint missing form the right above the grill on hood as well as in other spots in that area as well. Also, there seems to be road grime on the on the very bottom of both sides of the car that I cannot seem to get off no matter how many times I wash the car. I also have a cracked windshield to boot!

My questions to all of you CL owners and veterans, is there anything that I can do to revive my paint, or am I just going to have to suck it up and get a new paint job? How much does a good paint job run by the way?

I also want to get my windows tinted, but I have not idea how much that costs nor what the legal tint level is in GA. If anyone knows any good spots in GA that do tinting, please let me know. I think that tinted windows look better, but I also know that they help prevent the premature aging of the leather inside the car, which isn't in the most amazing condition either.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. The car was basically a means of transportation to me for awhile because I did not have the money or time to spend on it. Now that I have a little extra of both, I want remedy my past neglect.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:39 PM
TellinItLikeItIsSince1/06

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
painting your car is going to be expensive...another option i have heard of is colored vinyl that you wrap around the entire painted surface. it lasts 8-10 years i guess and the benefits are that you can get a different color to your car, but when you are tired of it, you can take off the vinyl and get back to your original color....in your situation, you can wrap in black and i think it is a little cheaper than paint depending where you go.

no clue about tints in Georgia...and sorry no clue where you can get painted or vinyl-wrapped...

also if you would like to bump up the power of your CL to hit about 220-230 HP @ the wheels (depending on the condition of your car), you should look into a Comptech Cold Air Intake and Comptech Headers for a nice daily driving setup. (your stock wheel HP is 195-200 by the way).

also your rims are pretty nice, but im sure many people will be telling you to drop your car. i am no help in terms of which suspension to go with, but im sure people will chime in.

Good Luck and Happy Modding!!!
Old 07-14-2009, 10:43 PM
To many cars in my garage

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to aZine

as far as the body goes I would look at the wash and wax form they are very helpful

My tint cost $175cad its %15 and I believe in my area(Ontario Canada) 30% is legal but I dont think cops care unless you agervate them
Old 07-14-2009, 10:45 PM
Lives in Boost

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by '01White3.2CL

no clue about tints in Georgia...and sorry no clue where you can get painted or vinyl-wrapped...
http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/GA/
Old 07-14-2009, 11:37 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Going over the car with clay, then using some cutting compound and buffing and waxing will do wonders.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:42 PM
Pilot Extraordinaire

Nice ride. I had mine wet sanded and then buffed. I had to have the hood repainted. Still have a few dings on the doors and rear fenders, but it would have been too expensive to have all that fixed and repainted.
One suggestion, lose the badges.

Last edited by corsair; 07-14-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:51 PM
Regional Coordinator (Texas)

Received 607 Likes on 308 Posts
paintless dent repair
Old 07-15-2009, 03:00 AM
eh

I'm going to be absolutely no help but:
1. Welcome to AcuraZine
2. LOVE the Rims
3. Drop it!
4. Thanks for posting the paint question, my car is in the same shape
Old 07-15-2009, 09:27 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
HEY MAN!!! im in atlanta and so are about 110 other members, i can help you with your paint.

ive detailed numerous other members cars and if your willing to learn, ill show you how to get your paint shining again.

We atl guys have a mechanic that gives azine discounts, and we will soon have a paint and body guy that gives azine discounts.

Tint should cost you about 160 in the A. We all have a bunch of different guys that cost the same. what matters is what kind of film they use. make sure its non-glare and has a fade warranty cuz purple tint=:ghey:

there is a meet on the 25th at stone mountain, you can check the regions section and show up!! ill be happy to take a look at your car and tell you whats recoverable and whats not.

legal limit in ga is 32% but our factory windows have 8 % on them. i would recommend getting 35 % film so the cops dont harass you.

-phee

Last edited by phee; 07-15-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:31 AM
I got the Shifts

atlanta group
https://acurazine.com/forums/groups/atl-17/
Old 07-15-2009, 09:32 AM
I got the Shifts

southeast mega meet
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=716158&page=9
Old 07-15-2009, 10:06 AM
Cruisin'

painting your car is going to be expensive...another option i have heard of is colored vinyl that you wrap around the entire painted surface. it lasts 8-10 years i guess and the benefits are that you can get a different color to your car, but when you are tired of it, you can take off the vinyl and get back to your original color....in your situation, you can wrap in black and i think it is a little cheaper than paint depending where you go.

Thanks for that information, I will definitely look into colored vinyl.

Originally Posted by McFluffy
as far as the body goes I would look at the wash and wax form they are very helpful
I did not even know there was a wash and wax forum. I will most definitely check that out. Thanks.

Originally Posted by corsair
One suggestion, lose the badges
Your CL does look clean without the badges on the back. Did you personally take them off or did you get it professionally done? If you did it yourself, what product did you use to get them off?

Originally Posted by pheee
HEY MAN!!! im in atlanta and so are about 110 other members, i can help you with your paint.

ive detailed numerous other members cars and if your willing to learn, ill show you how to get your paint shining again.

We atl guys have a mechanic that gives azine discounts, and we will soon have a paint and body guy that gives azine discounts.

Tint should cost you about 160 in the A. We all have a bunch of different guys that cost the same. what matters is what kind of film they use. make sure its non-glare and has a fade warranty cuz purple tint=

there is a meet on the 25th at stone mountain, you can check the regions section and show up!! ill be happy to take a look at your car and tell you whats recoverable and whats not.
Thanks for all the info man. I will definitely make it out to the meet on the 25th at Stone Mountain. I actually live in Stone Mountain and the park isn't far at all. I am definitely interested in having you go over my car and tell me what can and cannot be fixed. I also want to get tints done soon and possibly even drop my CL.

Glad to see that there are so many cats in the ATL who are Acura enthusiasts. I am looking forward to the meet on the 25th so I can see what other folks have done as well as get some advice from those with modding experience.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:37 AM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
dental floss and Goo Gone to get the emblems off. I found WD40 worked well to get the sticky resin off too.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:04 AM
I got the Shifts

Originally Posted by ComradeSS
Thanks for that information, I will definitely look into colored vinyl.

I did not even know there was a wash and wax forum. I will most definitely check that out. Thanks.

Your CL does look clean without the badges on the back. Did you personally take them off or did you get it professionally done? If you did it yourself, what product did you use to get them off?

Thanks for all the info man. I will definitely make it out to the meet on the 25th at Stone Mountain. I actually live in Stone Mountain and the park isn't far at all. I am definitely interested in having you go over my car and tell me what can and cannot be fixed. I also want to get tints done soon and possibly even drop my CL.

Glad to see that there are so many cats in the ATL who are Acura enthusiasts. I am looking forward to the meet on the 25th so I can see what other folks have done as well as get some advice from those with modding experience.
lookin forward to meeting you. i would stray away from goo gone on your cars paint. i used soap and water and dental floss. then i followed over the glue residue with clay and then compound.

polished one more time and it looks like it was never there
Old 07-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 669 Likes on 391 Posts
he has a type-s so he's already pushing about 230 to the wheels. Your hp quotes are for the cl-p.

also if you would like to bump up the power of your CL to hit about 220-230 HP @ the wheels (depending on the condition of your car), you should look into a Comptech Cold Air Intake and Comptech Headers for a nice daily driving setup. (your stock wheel HP is 195-200 by the way).

also your rims are pretty nice, but im sure many people will be telling you to drop your car. i am no help in terms of which suspension to go with, but im sure people will chime in.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:23 PM
tigerstyle

Originally Posted by p.diddy
he has a type-s so he's already pushing about 230 to the wheels. Your hp quotes are for the cl-p.
I'd like to see a bone stock type-s (even 6 spd) dyno at 230 at the wheels.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:27 PM
dont be mad

hey man welcome to the forum, feel free to lower your car at any time
Old 07-15-2009, 05:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by neyeswhip
I'd like to seIts se a bone stock type-s (even 6 spd) dyno at 230 at the wheels.
It's somewhere between 220-230. It's not pushing less than that trust me.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Don't most Type-S CLs push 220-225ish?
Old 07-15-2009, 05:32 PM
tigerstyle

Originally Posted by p.diddy
It's somewhere between 220-230. It's not pushing less than that trust me.
Think i remember auto's being just under 200 and 6 spd around 215.

Don't wanna jack this thread though, welcome man.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by neyeswhip
Think i remember auto's being just under 200 and 6 spd around 215.

Don't wanna jack this thread though, welcome man.
Wrong again. But yea let's not thread Jack anymore back on topic of helping this guy out.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:06 PM
tigerstyle

Hey OP, here are some threads with some dyno results. You will see stock auto is right around 200 with 6 spds around 220. With Headers/Intake/Pulleys/Spacers you can really bring up the HP.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...highlight=dyno

Old 07-15-2009, 08:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
For your paint issues try...

http://www.zainostore.com/

They are the best products I have ever used. My father did the whole shabang on his and his wifes MB Coupes and they are flawless!

And yes, a CLS auto puts around 200 to the wheels.

As for your car, I think it looks good as is. Not a fan of the extreme drops. Just not my thing. Really like the black on black!!!!
Old 07-15-2009, 10:57 PM
TellinItLikeItIsSince1/06

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
lmao! dont even get me started, just know auto cl TYPE-S has 195-200 whp...the 6speed sees 215 whp STOCK... headers and CAI, you hit 220-230whp AUTO...

CL-P has about 170 whp...with my headers/CAI/pulley, my CL-P has an estimated 200whp...

i've been studying this for 3 years now...i can tell you how much HP you should see on ANY setup...i also have before and after dyno results of every single bolt on mod at my disposal (for an AUTO) thanks to OG member johntypes who isnt on here anymore...

thanks for doubting me tho! lmao!

Last edited by '01White3.2CL; 07-15-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by CH46ESeaKnight
For your paint issues try...

http://www.zainostore.com/

They are the best products I have ever used. My father did the whole shabang on his and his wifes MB Coupes and they are flawless!

And yes, a CLS auto puts around 200 to the wheels.

As for your car, I think it looks good as is. Not a fan of the extreme drops. Just not my thing. Really like the black on black!!!!
Thanks, I plan on looking at the zaino website later today.

As for the argument regarding the horsepower to the wheels, I was completely unaware that the numbers stated by Acura were incorrect. It's hard to believe that they would lie about a difference of 60hp, but I am sure car manufacturers do such often.

As for boosting my horsepower, what can I do? What is the best way (most horsepower gain) as well as the cheapest way to gain HP? Supercharger? Intake?

Thanks again to all those members who have responded with advice, I really appreciate it.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:17 AM
Suzuka Master

lmao! dont even get me started, just know auto cl TYPE-S has 195-200 whp...the 6speed sees 215 whp STOCK... headers and CAI, you hit 220-230whp AUTO...

CL-P has about 170 whp...with my headers/CAI/pulley, my CL-P has an estimated 200whp...

i've been studying this for 3 years now...i can tell you how much HP you should see on ANY setup...i also have before and after dyno results of every single bolt on mod at my disposal (for an AUTO) thanks to OG member johntypes who isnt on here anymore...

thanks for doubting me tho! lmao!
i could have sworn i read it was more than that.

Originally Posted by ComradeSS
Thanks, I plan on looking at the zaino website later today.

As for the argument regarding the horsepower to the wheels, I was completely unaware that the numbers stated by Acura were incorrect. It's hard to believe that they would lie about a difference of 60hp, but I am sure car manufacturers do such often.

As for boosting my horsepower, what can I do? What is the best way (most horsepower gain) as well as the cheapest way to gain HP? Supercharger? Intake?

Thanks again to all those members who have responded with advice, I really appreciate it.
the cheapest way is headers, cold air intake, exhaust, pulleys, spacers. but if you really want big gains turbo or supercharger is the route. but be prepaired to shell out alot more money.

Last edited by p.diddy; 07-16-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:11 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Just imagine 110 pairs of hands rubbing that hard, black metal of yours!

Originally Posted by phee
Old 07-17-2009, 01:26 AM
The TARDIS is my

^...
Old 07-17-2009, 03:22 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by CL6
Just imagine 110 pairs of hands rubbing that hard, black metal of yours!
Lulz....I am glad that my fellow members have a sense of humor. +1 for you sir
Old 07-17-2009, 03:39 PM
P.

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Clean man, (or what it looks like from the pics). I would just try to buff the car or claybar to recover the paint. If you dont get the results you were lookin for, then the only other option is repaint. Welcome.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:49 PM
I got the Shifts

cant wait to check out your car
Old 07-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by phee
cant wait to check out your car
Indeed. I am looking forward to meeting up with other cats from this forum as well and checking out their whips. I am sure it will be fun.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:08 PM
Pilot Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by gnuts
dental floss and Goo Gone to get the emblems off. I found WD40 worked well to get the sticky resin off too.
x2 plus a little bit of heat from a hair dryer.