The motor mount thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Wish I could wait for these. My front and rear mounts are beyond shot.

Got a new set of OEM mounts and going to do the Window weld treatment tonight.

Maybe when my TL hits 250,000 miles I'll be pick this set up
Old 11-03-2010, 03:48 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
window weld will fail
Old 11-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,252 Likes on 4,869 Posts
Yep, but sadly so will the polyurethane, just not as quickly as the window weld.

Im going on my second front mount now. That means every mount that has been poly filled has had to be replaced. I installed them last summer.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:22 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rcb2000
wow you guys actually think you know how to design? please what you feel is better is so far out in no man's land I had to laugh, the vertical bushing mount is pitiful and will never last no matter the durometer of the rubber or polyurethane, read DESIGN FLAW from the get go. You should actually seek out designers and FEA types not shade tree mechanics.
Point us in the right direction then please. Suggestions welcomed.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Constructive criticism. Nice
Yeah, if people would do some searching on what we've all tried, they'll find we've already been down those paths. I proposed a lateral/horizontal design (what I often call the 3rd gen design) early on as the original Innovative vertical designs failed quickly, regardless of bushing density. I'm still running the Innovative 3rd gen design, it's not perfect as the bushings still fail after about 9-12 months. They lasted a bit longer with the black bushings - not sure what number they were. I proposed some additional changes to the 3rd gen that I felt would have worked well, but then Innovative left us hanging. In addition, the 3rd gen did not do any better at resolving the severe vibration issues associated with the rear mount. Again, a design for this was proposed and again Innovative thought they knew better.

To be honest and no offense as I don't want to broad brush all engineers, but most engineers are hard headed. They think they know more than all of the motor heads/hot rodders. We all know a lot of performance mod concepts start with motor heads/hot rodders. I personally have yet to experience one case where an engineer came to my old hot rodder community with an idea. The ideas always started with the hot rodder. Granted, most hot rodders couldn't build the part, but many have. I'm confident that if Innovative would have listened to us, we'd have had a working mount over 2 years ago. And as Friesm2000 pointed out, part of the problem is that these design engineer rocket scientists haven't paid attention to . . . it the design of our cars verses the typical 4 cyl tuner parts they are used to building, and the design physics of our engine, tranny and chassis.

Sorry, but the real issue here has been that it's the fabricators/designers/engineers that have been the problem/roadblock as we've had to deal with their arrogance thinking they know everything and we know nothing. Until one of them comes up with a fully viable aftermarket design, folks have to poly fill their mount.

Seriously, please prove me and or my design concepts I've proposed wrong.

Ruf

Last edited by RUF87; 11-03-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Ruf, mine have been busted for a long time...and now I have about 160k on my 2001 cls...my son is about to start driving this car and takes it pretty easy when driving... other than the clunk I get when its cold in the morning if I am not paying attention, the car runs very well... should I get some more mounts or just keep riding? Any thoughts?
Old 11-03-2010, 11:10 PM
Lead Footed

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
Ruf, mine have been busted for a long time...and now I have about 160k on my 2001 cls...my son is about to start driving this car and takes it pretty easy when driving... other than the clunk I get when its cold in the morning if I am not paying attention, the car runs very well... should I get some more mounts or just keep riding? Any thoughts?
son, taking it easy . . sorry, I have 2 boys and not sure they take anything easy. Anyway, driving with busted motors is never a good idea . . but I've done it while waiting for the various field test mounts to show up. Do you know if the both the front and rear are just ruptured or are they torn? If they're ruptured you could have them poly filled. If they are torn, there's not much you can do with that. If you are interested in poly filling them, check the thread from distortedolskool.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...oly+fill+mount

If you're not in to doing that, you're choices are replacing with OEM or waiting and waiting for some aftermarket ones.

Ruf
Old 11-03-2010, 11:25 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RUF87
Yeah, if people would do some searching on what we've all tried, they'll find we've already been down those paths. I proposed a lateral/horizontal design (what I often call the 3rd gen design) early on as the original Innovative vertical designs failed quickly, regardless of bushing density. I'm still running the Innovative 3rd gen design, it's not perfect as the bushings still fail after about 9-12 months. They lasted a bit longer with the black bushings - not sure what number they were. I proposed some additional changes to the 3rd gen that I felt would have worked well, but then Innovative left us hanging. In addition, the 3rd gen did not do any better at resolving the severe vibration issues associated with the rear mount. Again, a design for this was proposed and again Innovative thought they knew better.

To be honest and no offense as I don't want to broad brush all engineers, but most engineers are hard headed. They think they know more than all of the motor heads/hot rodders. We all know a lot of performance mod concepts start with motor heads/hot rodders. I personally have yet to experience one case where an engineer came to my old hot rodder community with an idea. The ideas always started with the hot rodder. Granted, most hot rodders couldn't build the part, but many have. I'm confident that if Innovative would have listened to us, we'd have had a working mount over 2 years ago. And as Friesm2000 pointed out, part of the problem is that these design engineer rocket scientists haven't paid attention to . . . it the design of our cars verses the typical 4 cyl tuner parts they are used to building, and the design physics of our engine, tranny and chassis.

Sorry, but the real issue here has been that it's the fabricators/designers/engineers that have been the problem/roadblock as we've had to deal with their arrogance thinking they know everything and we know nothing. Until one of them comes up with a fully viable aftermarket design, folks have to poly fill their mount.

Seriously, please prove me and or my design concepts I've proposed wrong.

Ruf
lol

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL

yeah i drove easy when i was 16 too, but only when the parents/brother where in the car though
Old 11-03-2010, 11:29 PM
B A N N E D

also i have not looked in the 3rd gen mounts recently, but could we just get that mount adapted to our cars, and we would just have to buy a new tripod piece (the bracket off the motor) ; but then again they also have an additional mount on the tranny (basically underneath where our batteries sit) itself, but that may make that design adequate for them though idk
Old 11-04-2010, 10:05 AM

son, taking it easy . . sorry, I have 2 boys and not sure they take anything easy. Anyway, driving with busted motors is never a good idea . . but I've done it while waiting for the various field test mounts to show up. Do you know if the both the front and rear are just ruptured or are they torn? If they're ruptured you could have them poly filled. If they are torn, there's not much you can do with that. If you are interested in poly filling them, check the thread from distortedolskool.

If you're not in to doing that, you're choices are replacing with OEM or waiting and waiting for some aftermarket ones.

Ruf
Thanks for the hollar back man!

I will have to ask the tech who did my tranny fluid if they are torn or ruptured, I dont really know... and yes, I used to go really big when my parents werent around too... he just doesn't seem as interested in going fast as I did when I was that same age... I was a speed demon.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by friesm2000
lol

yeah i drove easy when i was 16 too, but only when the parents/brother where in the car though
I used to do smoky burnouts in my 1984 Mustang GT in front of the house with my Mom watching, so I was just an anomaly I guess... Lord, my Mom probably never stopped praying while I was gone.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:13 AM

Ruf
great link too... what a royal pain in the arse!
Old 11-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
I was wondering why the 7th gem accord mounts holds up better. Our problem is that the engine is heavy and its Fited lateral. All cars i know VW vr6 alfaromeo 156 GTA got same issues but we may try to retrofit someother car mount to CL anyone tried that ?
Old 11-04-2010, 01:27 PM

So true about engineers.

When I was working in the field with my job I would ALWAYS get into arguments with engineers that know better. They dont have any hands-on experience with these things, all they pay attention to is measurements and think thats the whole story.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:52 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
only issue though is that our cars are roughly 300 or so pounds heavier iirc, and then we also have a bigger motor to go along with that too, which just equates to more stress on the motor mounts
you are correct, but there is a j36 turbo 6th gen using the horizontal mounts with no issues (no donuting, no crazy vibrations) using 60A bushings.

the revised design has a dome shaped washer that sits on top of the mount which greatly helps evenly distribute the pressure.

the j-series motors are not THAT much heavier. than each other.

i want to go out on a limb and say it is install error for people that are having issues. IMO the best way to install these is to pull the motor up with a hoist, you cannot force the mount into place as it would cause un-needed stress on the bushing. you need to fit the motor to the mount, not the mount to the motor.

but what do i know, i havent run my set yet (85A), but i guess i will report back in a few months. they are very well built, and extremely solid. my set will be supporting a j35 SC.

RUF seems like hes been through enough to know about how to properly install them so I'm not even going to try to question his practices because he seems very well read on the whole mount situation.

best of luck to everyone.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:29 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by e r y k
you are correct, but there is a j36 turbo 6th gen using the horizontal mounts with no issues (no donuting, no crazy vibrations) using 60A bushings.

the revised design has a dome shaped washer that sits on top of the mount which greatly helps evenly distribute the pressure.

i want to go out on a limb and say it is install error for people that are having issues. IMO the best way to install these is to pull the motor up with a hoist, you cannot force the mount into place as it would cause un-needed stress on the bushing. you need to fit the motor to the mount, not the mount to the motor.

but what do i know, i havent run my set yet (85A), but i guess i will report back in a few months. they are very well built, and extremely solid. my set will be supporting a j35 SC.

RUF seems like hes been through enough to know about how to properly install them so I'm not even going to try to question his practices because he seems very well read on the whole mount situation.

best of luck to everyone.

yeah maybe 10-15 pounds at max (ok maybe little bit more, due to the longer stroke of the crank)
but more of what i was referring to being roughly 300 pounds heavier was the car itself, all that sound insulation and creature comforts add up fast, and that is what is doing in said mount, just too much for the mounts (and btw that is ONE person, and we don't know his driving style either, he may be a pussie when it comes to racing it around, and using all the available power )

and those dome shaped washers, sounds like the old school sway-bar endinks (since most manufacturs have gone to the tie-rod like ones)
Old 11-04-2010, 03:35 PM
B A N N E D

So true about engineers.

When I was working in the field with my job I would ALWAYS get into arguments with engineers that know better. They dont have any hands-on experience with these things, all they pay attention to is measurements and think thats the whole story.
but then again sometimes it is engineered for EASE of assembly at the FACTORY (like alot of truck and suv fuel tanks are dropped into the frame, before the body ever goes on, so they don't have to worry about the ease of getting to the fittings, or the dropping of the tank out of the frame when it is too wide to fit through the frame rails easily (filler neck fittings hit, along with a bracket sitting right the fuck in the way on the other side)(jeep yj btw)
Old 11-04-2010, 04:19 PM

but then again sometimes it is engineered for EASE of assembly at the FACTORY (like alot of truck and suv fuel tanks are dropped into the frame, before the body ever goes on, so they don't have to worry about the ease of getting to the fittings, or the dropping of the tank out of the frame when it is too wide to fit through the frame rails easily (filler neck fittings hit, along with a bracket sitting right the fuck in the way on the other side)(jeep yj btw)
Its very different when they are building the entire thing from scratch in a factory vs adapting a part for something out in the field.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Lead Footed

So true about engineers.

This is spot on . . . when designing the whole system it's much easier, but when having to design a single component separately it's much harder. It is even harder when the engineer does it in a vacuum, meaning that don't have access to the whole system to do the full test themselves. The have to rely on feedback from us and it's impossible to communicate 100% of the results.

Ruf
Old 11-05-2010, 09:58 AM
Lead Footed

This is similar to the 3rd gen design we refer to. It's better, but it still needs some work.

[/QUOTE]

best of luck to everyone.[/QUOTE]

Installation is not a big deal on these, except for the rear, which is a real pain in the arse as it's a lot more involved. With the Innovative mounts, I could swap out all three mounts in less than an 1hr.

We've also had several members that had their mounts installed professionally and they experienced the same problems.

As for the vibrations, all I can say is that when the rear mounts was replaced with an OEM mount the vibrations were gone. I could see if there was a fluke in one of my installs, but I've swapped mounts on my car over 12 times now - mostly field testing the mounts - and the results are consistent. I've also done mounts on the side for members and or their mom's car . . . we've never had a problem with the OEM mounts going back in, or the aftermarket front or side mounts - with the exception of Innovative's first side mount which was welds at the wrong spot, holes were off 1/8" and the bolts were too short, but regardless of the 5 different rear mounts we tested the problems are the same. Anyway, anyone wanting to dig into my thoughts on the design call PM me to call them and I'll be happy to do so . . . it's too much for me to want to explain it correctly in text . . .

Ruf
Old 11-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Instructor

ok so my friend with a cl-s just came over...

and his OEM rear mount is a vertical mount... whereas the accord has a horizontal one. so this is probably why the CL owners are having so much trouble with innovative? I wasnt aware that the rear mount was different.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:30 PM

The rear mount on the CL differs between automatic models and 6 speed models. I still believe the rear mount design on the 6 speed is superior to the automatic, and I question why Honda didnt use that design for the front mount.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:26 PM
B A N N E D

The rear mount on the CL differs between automatic models and 6 speed models. I still believe the rear mount design on the 6 speed is superior to the automatic, and I question why Honda didnt use that design for the front mount.
the auto's rear mount actually looks just like the front one, with being vacuum controlled and all (the vacuum line tees down near the cross member)
Old 11-13-2010, 10:32 PM

the auto's rear mount actually looks just like the front one, with being vacuum controlled and all (the vacuum line tees down near the cross member)
Yea, but the 6MT isnt, and IMO the 6MT rear is a much better design.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:37 PM
B A N N E D

Yea, but the 6MT isnt, and IMO the 6MT rear is a much better design.
and why do you think i put it in shortly after i converted the car, let alone the mounting bosses not being strong enough on the block with the auto's bracket (it is braced off the automatic tranny, so it is strong enough in that application)
Old 11-14-2010, 12:09 AM
Instructor

i would think the auto design would be able to hold more power as the stress is more evenly distributed on the bushing itself.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:26 AM
B A N N E D

i would think the auto design would be able to hold more power as the stress is more evenly distributed on the bushing itself.
maybe but then again the bushing just tears apart and hydraulic fluid leaks all over, but the issue with that though is that the factory bracket does not have a strong enough connection to the block, and gets stressed even more with being able to dump the clutch
Old 11-23-2010, 09:47 PM
Lead Footed

. . . there's a good chance we really have some mounts on the way? Thought we needed an update on this . .

It's my understanding that the revised field test mounts have really been shipped and are at Excelerate. Once Excelerate has confirmed the parts are for our 2nd gen CLs & TLs we will post more details.

The bad news would be that my car is still down . . . trying to get a replacement tranny . . . which has been a major headache.

Ruf
Old 11-23-2010, 09:57 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice. I'll end up having to use the credit card for this, but Im in dyer need of some mounts. From a take off, if I really punch the gas pedal, you can hear/feel a huge thud.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:24 PM

. . . there's a good chance we really have some mounts on the way? Thought we needed an update on this . .

It's my understanding that the revised field test mounts have really been shipped and are at Excelerate. Once Excelerate has confirmed the parts are for our 2nd gen CLs & TLs we will post more details.

The bad news would be that my car is still down . . . trying to get a replacement tranny . . . which has been a major headache.

Ruf
If they are manual mounts my hood is open I need to toss a new front mount in anyway.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:45 PM
B A N N E D

Ruf
fixed , but it is for a base though (but only like 4th and 5th gear ratios are different for the most part, and only like 30k or so on it

i am probably going to take the motor, so pulling the tranny be no issue

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/2002-tl-complete-part-out-799141/

(biggest issue is shipping though)
Old 11-30-2010, 05:04 AM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
So did those mounts show up or what?
Old 12-01-2010, 04:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
+1 this is unbeliveable
Old 12-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
The fabricator is extremely unreliable with ETA's. I did receive a shipment of mounts (front and rear for both AT and MT but no side mount).
Old 12-01-2010, 02:10 PM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts
Any chance on letting us in on who the fabricator is?
Old 12-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
So the only way to get rid of whel hop is custom motor mounts? The Stiffy isn't good as a stand alone?
Old 12-01-2010, 05:06 PM

Poly filled mounts and the stiffy mount up top along with the two torque dampers help, but they dont make it non-existent. The suspension itself can also pick up some of the slack, so if thats sorted properly you shouldnt have much wheel hop. But the biggest issue is reliability.

Josh, can you post pics of the mounts?
Old 12-01-2010, 10:49 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by rondog
So the only way to get rid of whel hop is custom motor mounts? The Stiffy isn't good as a stand alone?
when i origionally when to ingall's to get it made, i think i mention in the threads for it, that it is never going to be a full on replacement for good mounts (especially when you start going FI, nitrous or stroker), only going to help with the stock mounts
Old 12-02-2010, 10:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
What about only one custom mount and the Ingalls stiffy Torque Dampner? Or do both have to absolutely be replaced?

Anybody have any exrtra used or broken motor mounts available?
Old 12-02-2010, 12:10 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rondog
What about only one custom mount and the Ingalls stiffy Torque Dampner? Or do both have to absolutely be replaced?

Anybody have any exrtra used or broken motor mounts available?
oem or innovative?

Quick Reply: The motor mount thread